Saturday 26 May 2007

A look back at Cannes - Jake Gyllenhaal and the Zodiac crew

After ten days of more glamour than most towns could handle, the curtain comes down at Cannes tomorrow. At last we will know which of the 22 films has won the prestigious Palme d'Or. Will it be, as predicted, a foreign language film or one of the high profile contributions from the US. At this point, I want to pay tribute to the research skills of BBC Newsnight - its Cannes special last night paid much attention to each of the competing American movies in turn but, for some reason, failed to realise that Zodiac or David Fincher even exist. Let's hope the jury knows differently - Good luck David and Zodiac!


Several French TV interviews with Jake Gyllenhaal and the rest of the Zodiac crew were recorded during the early part of the Cannes Film Festival but a couple of these have been available only on sites that require the patience of a saint and broadband beyond my capabilities. These are now feeding down to more user-friendly sites, accessible to all. So now everyone can enjoy the spectacle of Jake re-enacting his Night Fever moment after watching his SNL moment of glory, looking not a little embarrassed. Thanks very much to a DC friend for providing this link.



There is also a video, in which Jake, Chloe Sevigny and Mark Ruffalo pay tribute to the vision of David Fincher in brief interviews.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Cannes coverage and Zodiac promotion has been really enjoyable. I only wish I had been around for the Brokeback Mountain promotions. I had only heard a comment or two from Charlie Gibson on GMA rushing out the door one morning, but knew I would enjoy it. I don't think I even saw an interview with Jake, Heath or Ang. I saw it and fell in love. Looking forward to the Rendition movie promotions too! Thanks WDW for your updates! :)

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hey, thanks Marina!

I wasn't sure what I was in for either with Brokeback Mountain - I just knew it had Jake in it so it had to be good. But I completely fell in love with it, just like you and so many more of us.

All of Jake's films amaze me in their own unique ways - I've always enjoyed procedural dramas and so Zodiac was made for me.

I have no doubt Rendition is going to be incredible - I can't wait!

Anonymous said...

If there was a lot of promotion for Brokeback Mountain prior to me seeing it in January 2006, I missed it! I saw what followed and of course everything that lead up to the Oscars, but it would have been so great to be a part of it from the beginning.

That is why I have so enjoyed this Zodiac experience. All that Jake did nearly single handedly here in the States to promote it. And now this excellent coverage in France.

Thanks so much WDW - and Ruby - for that new link. This was something not to be missed. Jake was looking even more handsome than usual. And the charm simply oozed from him. From the looks of the people in the audience and their response to him, if there were any not sure who he was before you can bet he has garnered a bunch of new fans. Who can resist the Gyllencharm!

Anonymous said...

I am SO anxious to find out if anyone got "the phone call" to be in Cannes for closing ceremonies!!!
They are sometimes televised in the US, but I'm not sure of the time or the channel. Wouldn't it be great if Zodiac picked up an award. While the Palm d'Or is the highest honor, I think there are a couple of other categories for films in competition. But maybe it would just be David Fincher and the producers who would go. Thanks for the videos. Jake is just a beauty. As I said in the other thread. I thought by now I would have gotten used to looking at him. But I haven't.

Anonymous said...

I don't think that there will be any prizes for Zodiac at Cannes. While I have seen many good reviews here in the European press, there is absolutely no "buzz" about it.
(And by the way someone spotted Jake at Heaththrow Airport on Wednesday (I think) so he is probably back in the States).

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Looks like you were right Penny Lane. I don't think Zodiac ever stood much of a chance at Cannes but I am disappointed that Fincher didn't pick up something. Surely he deserved it for this.

I agree Dani that Jake should have made some more friends and fans in France and elsewhere on the Continent by his star behaviour in Cannes.

Bobbyanna - I'll never get used to looking at Jake either, or hearing that voice of his!

Wherever Jake is, I certainly hope he pops up again soon

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.