Sunday 27 May 2007

Jake Gyllenhaal - Don't call me good looking - appreciate me for what I do in my movies

'Even among all the beautiful people who walk around at the International Cannes Film Festival, the American actor Jake Gyllenhaal stands out from the crowd. He is undeniably sexy... Everyone: friend, enemy, man, woman and everything in between - they cannot deny his attractiveness.'


So begins an article on Jake in the Netherlands' AD newspaper, which features an entirely new interview with Jake, conducted as he sat by his beach house at the Hotel du Cap, Antibes. This interview, and another remarkable interview in the Dutch Cinema publication, are full of gems and I am grateful to Jimmy from iheartjake, who has kindly allowed me to quote from his English translations.

Appreciate me for what I do in my movies

Despite his attractiveness, which makes Jake stand out in even the most glamorous and beautiful gathering, Jake's modesty is touching and very healthy and possibly reveals a touch of insecurity common to so many actors, even those as highly regarded as Jake. "Like any other sane person, I do not want to be judged by my looks. If somebody compliments me on my looks - which I did nothing to get - it has no value for me whatsoever. I would rather deal with people who appreciate me for what I do in my movies. All those lists about Most Sexy Males on earth, that appear in magazines quite often, all disappear when a new sexy actor appears on the horizon. A good acting performance will withstand the test of time. At least, I hope."


As for the infamous trouble between Jake and his director: "As with many other rumours, in the media everything is blown out of proportion. It's true that filming the movie was killing... it has a lot of scenes wth very long dialogues, where every detail needed to be right." I can't help wondering what other rumours Jake might be referring to here.

I am someone who lives for passion

Fincher's obsession is not something Jake shares, as he has said before. "I am someone who lives for passion. It's constructive and it can create beautiful things. Obsessions usually lead to sacrifces and they usually end negatively, unless you are very talented like Fincher."

It's interesting to hear that, despite Jake's overwhelming success in Brokeback Mountain, he is not being faced with easy choices. "I wasn't offered the roles that really suit me. I've been in this business since I was 10 years old, but it didn't give me any satisfaction."


I'm very proud of Zodiac

Jake's deep concern about selecting roles that actually contribute something to our understanding of human nature - sometimes in contrast to the type of roles he is offered - is a theme of the second interview. Jake has said that David Fincher sees the 'big picture', but so does Jake. In this feature, the interviewer describes a young man, both good-natured and a good talker - who takes his choices very seriously. It also comes as a surprise to hear just how vulnerable Jake has been made to feel because of the success of Brokeback Mountain.

For this interview, Jake makes it very clear that he knows why he is in Cannes. "If I go to Cannes, I sure know what to do, don't I? Today, I'm here for interviews and I'm happy to do it. And I'm not just saying that to be polite. I'm very proud of Zodiac. I'm willing to do everything I can to make sure the movie will stay in theaters for a long time."


Brokeback Mountain - 'Joy' is the word to describe it

Jake speaks of his determined effort to avoid the young cliche highschool roles, which he was undoubtedly offered by the caseload. Instead, the young Jake was "looking for parts that go in a different direction."

Then came the Brokeback Mountain phenomenon. "Now that time has passed, I try to look back on that period. 'Joy' is the word to describe it. But after a while you have to let go of the past and focus on something new. However, a big success like Brokeback Mountain can also be very 'chaining'. It's like it has become a part of you and you can't let it go. And there's another side-effect: if someone now gives criticism, it hurts twice as bad - after hearing so much praise."

When asked about growing up in Hollywood, Jake expands on his normal pat answer - as he normally does when faced with an intelligent interviewer. "For me and Maggie, Hollywood has never been something magical. The advantage is that now, I do not tend to rush anything. I want to play in movies that add to our images, judgements and preconceptions. Movies can do that. But most of the movies are created to make people weak."


There's always fear

Quoting Saving Private Ryan as an example of how movies can change perspectives, Jake focuses on a different element of Zodiac: fear and the role of fear in the media and in life. "There's always fear. Fear to say something wrong. Fear to have an accident. Or, on a larger scale, fear of terrorism. It is possible to see Zodiac as a way that shows people how spreading fear can reduce humans to paranoid creatures. There's certainly a parallel between this and America nowadays. The chance of being killed by the Zodiac was far smaller than the chance of being hit by a tram. Still, everyone in the San Francisco area in the 60s and 70s was captured by this killer. Today, the same is happening to Muslim Fundamentalism. A fear that is being encouraged by politics."

"See what I mean with 'the power of a movie'?... An interesting movie forces you to make connections. That's what I try to find in acting. To work with people who make these kind of movies and think and work with them."

What an extraordinary young actor Jake Gyllenhaal is - one can only speculate with joy at the films that will be forthcoming for him and for us.


Pictures from IHJ. Thanks Jimmy!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great article. Jake can rest assured that we do appreciated him for his considerable talent. It's nice to see that he is so well grounded and mature about Hollywood. I have rarely seen anything like his performance in Brokeback Mountain, and became a fan because of it. I was overwhelmed by Jack Twist. Of course Jake is dazzlingly handsome, but that's only one aspect of him. There are many handsome actors, as he says. He's unique. :)

Anonymous said...

WDW, based on Jimmy's translation Jake was talking about the roles he was being offered before Donnie Darko, not Brokeback. You have this as Brokeback.


It's interesting to hear that, despite Jake's overwhelming success in Brokeback Mountain, he is not being faced with easy choices. "I wasn't offered the roles that really suit me. I've been in this business since I was 10 years old, but it didn't give me any satisfaction."


Here is the real quote from Jimmy's article:

In spite of his short acting career, Gyllenhaal has proven to be an actor who likes to take risks. He's had his breakthrough with Donnie Darko, a movie that has earned a cultstatus. On the internet, endless discussions can be found, all discussing the deeper meaning of the film, about a young boy who, in his dreams, sees a huge bunny that can look into the future.

The film can more or less be seen as the movie that saved Gyllenhaal as an actor. "I wasn't offered the roles that really suit me. I've been in this business since I was 10 years old, but it didn't gave me any satisfaction."


http://iheartjake.suddenlaunch.com/index.cgi?board=gyllenhaalics&action=display&num=1180214297

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Thanks for the comments.

Hi Get Real - thanks for that. I didn't intend to be misleading, nor did I want to just quote both articles verbatim (because they are available on IHJ). I was more interested in what the interviews revealed about Jake's thoughts about his place in Hollywood and I believe - and this may well be wrong, it's my own subjective opinion - that Jake is still faced with a choice of roles that continue to be unsuitable. I don't think Donnie Darko or Brokeback changed that for him. What these artistically successful films have allowed Jake is the luxury to not be in a rush. As he says in one of these interviews, he doesn't have to be in a rush now, he can afford to wait for the roles he wants. Before Donnie darko and before Brokeback Mountain (he was still only 23 then I believe) this wouldn't have been so easy.

Also it was a long time before Donnie Darko was perceived as a success - especially in the US. It wouldn't have opened lots of doors for Jake immediately, likewise with Brokeback Mountain.

It's that process that Jake must face each time he finishes a film - what to do next - the risks the interview highlights - that really interests me.

So I believe that Jake still continues to face difficult choices after Brokeback Mountain - perhaps more so, because, as he says, after a film like that and a role like that, criticism is twice as hard to take.

Anonymous said...

Great articles, WDW! Jake continues to make it clear he is no run of the mill, empty headed Hollywood Hunk. He is in no rush to strike while the iron is hot, so to speak. His own principles makes him wait for the right role and I am so glad he chooses to make intelligent choices instead of selling out. A good performance will stand the test of time. I am in it for the long haul with Jake's career and I doubt he will ever let me down!

Anonymous said...

Okay, I understand your points, WDW. They make a lot of sense in terms of Jake trying to make the best artistic choices when he signs onto a new role. I am sure it is not an easy decision and I think he chooses very carefully. Although I bet he has more options given to him now after BBM than before when he had to struggle to audition for parts. He has mentioned that before. I think he is very wise to not want to be just an "it boy", but wants to have a long and accomplished career. Based on the movie choices he has made so far I think that will be the case. I am certainly looking forward to what he does and am cheering him on!

And I definitely didn't think you were trying to be misleading. I just figured you had the movies mixed up from the article. No worries. :)

Anonymous said...

Looks are like money, youth and health, only fully appreciated when they are absent ;)

ATD said...

Great article WDW, very well written and insightful as always.

Jake certainly conveys these views in his work, not only his choice of role, but the performance that is given in them. There are very few in Hollywood that can give movie goers the experience of a Jake Gyllenhaal film.

More than an actor, a plain story teller; he does not allow an audience to merely “watch” the tale unfold, but reaches out, grabs you by the scruff of the neck and drags you into the events which he portrays. That, for me at least, is a very rare talent.

As for looks, oh boy he’s got them, but Sage Anouska summed that up really well, and it’s good that Jake recognises it.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Just got to say - thank you Sage Anouska for the benefit of your sageness :D

At the moment I feel like I have only (relative) youth on my side :C