Thursday 31 May 2007

Jake Gyllenhaal - the reluctant and unusual sex symbol

Jake Gyllenhaal is in the Dutch papers again today. This time, Jake is featured in SP!TS and it draws on another interview Jake made while in Cannes. As we have grown accustomed, it includes little treats from Jake on his role choices as well as a portrait of Jake as an uncomfortable and unusual sex symbol, not quite sure on how to handle all this attention.


The feature makes the point that, when Jake stood on the red carpeted steps of the Palais du Festival in Cannes, it was a surprise to him that it was he who received most of the attention and not his famous co-stars Mark Ruffalo and Chloe Sevigny. 'Even at the fully crowded press conference of the festival premier of Zodiac, it's very noticeable that he is the star. Director Fincher (Se7en, Fight Club) gets some questions asked. But Ruffalo and Sevigny are mostly skipped; all the attention goes to Gyllenhaal who, sometimes almost literally, is being stripped with questions. This is because a lot of people from the glossy/womens magazines have noticed that the dorky teenager with the dreamy eyes, who had his breakthrough with the cult hit Donnie Darko, has changed into a grown man who has everything it takes to be a sex symbol. A very unusual one, that is.'

This sex symbol status is due, not a little bit, to Jake's celebrated and phenomenal performance as Jack Twist in Brokeback Mountain. "I was told that it would be dangerous to play a gay cowboy but that movie has opened up a lot of doors to me and therefore will always be a very special part of my career. But now I have to move on, because you don't want to get stuck, even in that kind of success."


The role of Robert Graysmith in Zodiac may also seem an unusual and brave choice, not least because we see relatively little of Jake's character during the first half of the film. "My character is always present during the evolution of the story, but most of the time he hasn't a lot to do. David Fincher explained it to me like this when we were discussing the part: 'during the first part of the movie, you are nothing more than an extra, but when the movie reaches the climax, the main character in the movie will be you'. I found that quite an amusing observation. In reality, it was a bit of a disappointment. All day I walked around the set of the newspaper where I work in the movie, and all I could do was just to sit in the corner and wander around."

As for why Jake took on the role: "As an actor I'm always attracted to the more extreme characters. But in this case that was hardly a factor when I decided to take this role. When I read the script I was sold immediately. 'Wow, this has actually happened.' The murders, the paranoia that was spreading across society. Zodiac had a huge impact. The movie did not have the amount of success in America that other spectacular movies have, but it's these kind of deep extraordinary stories that I want to tell."


Thanks again to Jimmy from IHJ for finding and translating the article, as well as permitting me to use it. In places I have used my own very rudimentary Dutch so all mistakes are mine, and not Jimmy's! Pictures from IHJ.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks WDW, this is exactly why I find him so compelling is that he wants to tell "deep, extraordinary stories". I have loved all of his roles so far. I love that he isn't content to coast along on his considerable good looks and do movies that do great box office but don't have much depth.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hey Marina!

It's so true that Jake won't just coast along or do the roles expected of him, or the type of roles somebody his age with those looks 'should' be doing. It means that there will be a whole range of different role types that Jake will surprise us with in the future - and I can't wait to see how he tests himself next.

I do wish there were more opportunities to hear Jake talk seriously and earnestly about what he wants to do and what motivates him.

Thanks for commenting, Marina :D

Anonymous said...

Another gem, WDW. Thanks. I was certainly in the category of people who Had Jake forever as the dorky teenager or slightly unbalanced loner. 2005 was definitely a breakout year for him acting wise Everyone had to stand up and take notice. But it seemed that over night he matured into a man of exceptional looks. I know that is something Jake can't claim credit for, but he has most certainly caught and held my attention. The icing on the cake is that he can not only act, but appears to be the most gracious and unassuming star to come along in a while. All the way around, a winning combination!

Anonymous said...

Hey WDW, I'm always impressed with your choice of images and of the crops used, thanks so much for suck painstaking attention to the object of our curiosity. As the others have all said, Jake is such an incredible communicator. What has struck me with all of the Cannes images was how truly "regal" he looks. He seems so comfortable with himself, with his co-stars and with the attention. Just can't get enough of this amazingly curious young man.

Cheers, and all the best with the blog.

Anonymous said...

Sorry, my typo... I mean't "thanks so much for SUCH painstaking attention..."

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Seaweed

Thanks for commenting. I can't get enough of Jake either and it's that 'amazingly curious' aspect of him that's captivated me too. I really enjoy Jake's interviews, I wish there were more of them - they're like an intelligent dance.

:D