Friday 1 June 2007

Jake Gyllenhaal - the 'neat freak' who knows when not to be alone

Yesterday it was the turn of the Dutch media, today the spotlight moves to Germany and to two interviews with Jake Gyllenhaal. Both interviews were conducted in the idyllic surroundings of the Hotel du Cap in Antibes but they couldn't be more different from each other in tone and content and demonstrate perfectly what happens when Jake is faced with a good, informed interviewer and how his responses differ when faced with - how do I put this? - an idiot. Let's start with the good - and it's very good.


German Vanity Fair

Jake is today featured in the German online Vanity Fair. Jake meakes it clear that the interview is to be solely concerned with Zodiac but, as ever, when given the opportunity to be open about himself, he carefully releases little glimpses - the young man teased by his elder sister for being a "neat freak", who enjoys his own company but needs relationships. At this stage, I'm going to ask for your forbearance and kindness because any translations are the product of my poorly used and rusty German. As a result, please don't blame eloquent Jake for any clumsiness; blame instead the British education system.

The Vanity Fair interviewer, and who can blame him, appears captivated by Jake's blue eyes, although jetlagged, and his carefully disarranged hair. Jake's in a perfect setting, in a hotel which has been called the most discreet in the world and, apparently, only recently began to accept credit cards. Jake sits in a pavilion with a view of the sea and agrees with his interviewer that the setting is unbelievably beautful and he has found some time to enjoy his surroundings: "This morning I went jogging. It was fantastic. I don't understand at all why hotels like these have fitness rooms with running machines."


The interviewer remarks that it seems strange to be discussing serial murder in this idyllic setting, but Jake responds "Why not?". When asked what it was that drew him to the Zodiac project, Jake replies that he was less interested in the murders than in the "abstract fear around them. It's about this paranoia that becomes the obsession. The concept of the existence of an evil one, a monster, that could jump out at night from around the next corner or from the rear seat of your car. It reflects our time... Today's America is obsessed with finding the 'bad'... David Fincher is one of the few directors around who holds a mirror up to Americans."

Jake is asked whether he has an obsessive side himself: "Didn't we want to talk about the film? My sister Maggie would say I am a 'neat freak' because I like to have things tidy. However, I don't believe I'm obsessed by it. I would say instead that I'm tidy and clean through a passion - that's better. I consider obsession to be dangerous." When asked for an example, Jake replies "Take jealousy. Jealousy is better than envy. If I'm jealous of someone, because they have something I would also want, that's motivating. Envy is darker and more destructive."


Graysmith doesn't even try to escape his isolation - A part of me hated that

Finally, Robert Graysmith's character is compared to those other 'lonely men' that have occupied Jake's career, Jack Twist and Swofford. The interviewer suggests that Graysmith is even more isolated. Jake agrees "For that exact reason, I didn't want to accept the role at first. I didn't accept my character. He doesn't even try to escape his isolation. A part of me hated that. I've never had such a feeling. Jack in Brokeback Mountain or Swofford in Jarhead at least try to develop relationships with others. The character in Zodiac simply loves to be lonely. Don't get me wrong - there are times when I'm glad to be alone. My success has permitted me over the last few years to spend more time just with myself. That's great, but this character in Zodiac went way beyond what is normal."


And now for the bad - Jetzt

By stark contrast, in Jetzt Jake was faced with an unsympathetic interviewer with little interest in Zodiac and even less in Jake. This interviewer's tactic was to shoot off one-liners, normally falling way short of the mark, and then ridiculing Jake's answers or dismissing them as biased because they were too 'American' or too 'friendly'. But not to fear - Jake gave better than he got. I want to thank my DC friend for allowing me to quote from her translation.

After reminding Jake of all the roles he didn't get, such as Moulin Rouge, Spiderman, Batman Begins and Superman Returns, Jake gets the point: "Again, yes, I get you! But what can I do? I love this job. I can't just say f**k it, I quit. And we did have Brokeback Mountain." "The gay drama that made you famous." Jake adds: "And before that Donnie Darko". At this point, the interview shows the extent of his research, "At first nobody wanted to see that horror movie, but eventually it did find a fanbase." "There you go", says Jake, "it's a movie with stamina".


The interviewer then turns his attention to Lance Armstrong, a figure that he clearly has problems with. Jake puts the record straight yet again that he's not playing Lance in the forthcoming movie, but Matt Damon is instead. "The rumour started because Lance and I are friends". When asked about Lance, Jake praises his friend "But what has impressed me most about him is what he has done for people." "What is it that Lance Armstrong has done for people?" You can almost hear the pause and the sharp intake of breath: "He's motivated them! Thanks to him millions of people have started to think about themselves and tried to find out what's inside them." The interviewer dismisses this as "a rather American answer" and says Lance couldn't have achieved his success without doping.

The interviewer asks Jake in what situations he shows stamina the most: "I'm sorry, another American answer. I'm really not a very disciplined person. I tend to be inconsistent, chaotic. Only as an actor do I have extreme stamina, do I manage to work on a role very precisely.... For one thing, I'm getting better at maintaining relationships. Many forget these when they become successful."


"You can't always expect people to stay the same. I'll tell you something. My parents have been married thirty years. They had a modest celebration for their silver wedding anniversary. On that occasion my cousin asked my dad: Wow, what's it like to be married to the same woman for 25 years? My dad answered: she isn't the same woman!... People change. That's exciting and that's why I don't like it when movies have a happy ending. The excitement doesn't start until the man and woman have found each other!"

When asked who he admires, Jake says Jacques Pépin, the "cook, who also writes books. He has a very unique understanding of food. You should write about him sometime" and spells his name out for the interviewer.

Jake is then asked about dealing with the paparazzi: "I do my best to look at it pragmatically: I have chosen this way of life, so I have to deal with the shit that comes with it. It's basically like having a garden... Imagine you have a garden. There are tomatoes and lettuce and beautiful flowers, the really nice things, but there are also worms and all sorts of insects that are disgusting. But they do have a function, like eating vermin." "And what function do paparazzi have?" "To be honest I still have to find out. They are really more like vermin."


The interviewer seals his fate by pointing out that Jake hasn't displayed much stamina in his private life: "You experiment a lot". Jake stays calm, "Oh, 'experimenting' is a nice euphemism. I'll call it that from now on!" When asked if he should be taking it easier with all these 'unknown beauties', Jake responds "I guess so. But I am 26 years old, there's time. And there's a lot for me to learn in that respect." "Like what?" "To apply sun screen regularly" "Because you..." "Exactly. Dry skin. OK, are we finished here? Then I should start looking for that sun screen."

Bravo Jake.

Pictures from IHJ.

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

"And what function do paparazzi have?" "To be honest I still have to find out. They are really more like vermin." Tee hee!!! I'm glad Jake can put these interviews in perspective. I heard him say in an interview once that "he can handle it [the good and the bad that comes with fame], and I guess he can! :)

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Marina

There's no doubt that Jake has an intelligent head on those young and strong shoulders and, if anyonce can handle the chaos, he can. I'm sure it will be hard on occasions but it seems clear to me that Jake has the kind of attitude that will help him through it. Plus he has the benefit of these relationships he mentions here that are so important to him, particularly now he's successful.

Thanks for commenting, Marina. I appreciate it :)

Anonymous said...

You're very welcome, WDW. I like that there are a couple of new places that really celebrate Jake and his family. I'm very glad he doesn't let these rude questions and remarks he's asked get to him. I love how he'll take the upper hand and ask an interviewer, "Are we done yet?" This is the second time I've seen/read about him doing that. He's teasing, but I'm sure the message gets through loud and clear, or at least that's my take on it. YAY Jake. :)

Anonymous said...

Maybe you should have started with the bad (and by God! - is it bad!) interview after all, because the aftertaste of this interview is quite awful. The interviewer is not an idiot (that would be too much praise, IMO) but a complete and utter moron, or even better - the vermin in everyone's garden. Touché, master Gyllenhaal!

It's such a disturbing piece that I almost forgot about the brilliant interview in VF. Oh - and I read the German page - I think you translated it all perfectly!

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hey Elfie!

I just couldn't believe my eyes when I read this second horrendous interview and then couldn't understand that they actually went ahead and published it. To actually insult your interviewee in some real vile terms - attacking friends, good causes, movie choices - the list goes on.

I'm glad it hasn't overshadowed the Vanity Fair interview completely because I thought that was something else entirely. What a contrast to have two such different interviews in the same week.

Big thanks for the thumbs up for my translation. I used to live in Germany but it's been a while....

Thanks for commenting.

ATD said...

Kudos Jake!

That second interview was fantastic, not for the questions or the style and tactics of the interviewer. For the magnificent way that Jake put the interviewer squarely in his place, and the guy was too stupid to realise he was being shot down.

Man, I like your style.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the interviews! Can you believe I had not seen the "Variety" one??

I just wrote a comment to the journalist of the "horrible" one. The interview is a real disappointment because the "Sueddeutsche" is a well respected newspaper over here, comparable with the NY times. But - to their excuse - I can say that their ZODIAC review is really excellent, the reviewer calls the film a "breathtaking thriller" and
"suspense masterpiece" and Jakes Graysmith "a wonderful role for Jake Gyllenhaal, the Brokeback Mountain man"...

And since this is my first post here I wanted to say that I really like your blog and I am lurking every day...

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hey Playmaker

Jake is just magnificent - interviewers should do their research and realise what they are taking on - if they do their stuff they will find a kind, witty and eloquent subject.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Carla

I'm so glad you delurked and i do hope you do so again. But it's good to hear you're here each day - thanks for that!

Good for you for writing a comment to the journalist. I know the he 'Sueddeutsche' and it should know better. That's good that they do have some writers at least who have heard of Zodiac and have given it such an excellent review. Thanks for letting us know that.

Thanks for your comment, Carla :D

Anonymous said...

Excellent post, WDW. Thank you for all of the hard work you do for Jake each day. The articles you find and your own commentary continues to reinforce that we are not wasting our time in our admiration of this beautiful intelligent man. Jake managed to shine as usual in both articles. But when are these third rate interviewers going to learn that it would be in their best interest to actually find out what Jake is passionate about before they attempt to engage him in a conversation. Jake wipes the floor with them every time!

Anonymous said...

"if they do their stuff they will find a kind, witty and eloquent subject. "

WDW you couldn't be more right. I am so happy that many people are delurking and expressing their appreciation of what you are doing. I can see you --- and you have to believe me --- having the opportunity to interview Jake someday soon and all of us here are waiting eagerly for that.


"Jake wipes the floor with them every time! "
Dani -- I love your ready wit!
And I love how our man deals with all these people.

I wish I could comment more often ... there is so much though-provoking content here. The power cuts at my end are making it tough for me to keep up but I hope I'll be back to regular posting soon.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Dani

One thing's for certain, as you say, we're certainly not wasting our time with this fine young man, as he continues to show us, time after time after time. And, when he has to be, he can be sharp - he's nobody's fool.

Thanks for commenting!

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hey Incognita!

Good to see you here again. Sorry to hear about the powercuts, I hope they're on the mend.

That's a great compliment, thank you. Of course I'd love to have the chance to interview him. I've seen Jake twice so maybe I'd be past the fainting at his feet and morphing into a pool of dribble phase - well, I'd hope!

It's been interesting for me doing WDW because it's been a kind of road to discovery abut why Jake is the one actor that I have become fascinated with in my life. I knew it had to be more than those looks of his and he's continued to show me why - the more you look, the more you find and it's all good.

Thanks, Incognita.

Anonymous said...

Hi,

I am only anonymous, because I do not want to sign up for so many things on the web...but I just want to thank you for doing such a fabulous job reporting on our favorite Gyllenhaal. This is my go-to page now for Jake information...never tabloidish or demeaning..WD and W is the best..keep up the great work!! Michele

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Michele!

Thanks so much for commenting - I'm really, really pleased that you enjoy coming here and to call WDW never tabloidish or demeaning is a huge compliment that I appreciate more than I say. To be respectful of Jake is as important to me as Jake is himself.

Thanks Michele :D

Anonymous said...

I haven't been here for a few days, just caught up. Still loving what you do here, WDW.

I can't find a polite word to describe that interviewer! Did he/she know their subject at all? If they had they would have known that Jake would outsmart such a crass approach.

"Are we done yet"! Love it!

Anonymous said...

oops I misquoted! "OK are we finished here?" - more polite, but gets the point across! :)

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Ruby! Feel like I'm chasing you around this evening....good exercise.

Glad you've come back and things are still OK.

As this interviewer - and I use the term loosely - discovered, best not to underestimate our Jake. He sure can think on his feet. :D