Wednesday 6 June 2007

Jake Gyllenhaal - I want to do this for a really long time

In September 2002, both Jake and Maggie Gyllenhaal were at the Toronto Film Festival publicising their new films - for Maggie it was Secretary and, for Jake, Moonlight Mile. This week, new photographs from the Moonlight Mile press conference have been brought into the light by iheartjake, a state of affairs that is not only to be celebrated in its right, but also because it in turn helped to unearth a gem of an interview between co-stars Susan Sarandon and Jake.


Susan chose to interview/promote/advise The Next Big Thing in August of 2002 in New York. The interview began, not a little strangely but for good, practical reasons, in the ladies bathroom of Manhattan's Man Ray restaurant. The steady trickle, if you pardon the expression, of women keen to come and meet the young man they are assured (by Susan) will be a household name finally drives the pair back to Susan's house where they continue in relative peace.

So what do they talk about? Jake recalls Dustin Hoffman coming to see Jake perform on stage in London in The Days of Our Youth earlier that year: "He didn't call me - he just came to the play. In the middle of the intermission, the fireman who watches over the theater came in and said, "Dustin Hoffman is in the audience." I was so nervous I ended up hamming up the second act." Another woman enters the bathroom at that point. Jake reveals that he was in talks with Bernardo Bertolucci about a role in The Dreamers, and there were plenty of contractural clauses about nudity, which said, according to Jake: "You're going to show your penis, you're going to show your whatever." No need for me to tell you, this didn't come off.


This reminds Jake of Maggie's role in Secretary: "She's amazing in it. She's totally naked in the film, but in a very beautiful kind of way." But was it weird to see his sister naked? "Yeah. The story's beautiful and I recognize it as a plot point, but it's still uncomfortable." Warming to her theme, Susan asks Jake if he was naked with Jennifer Aniston in The Good Girl. "In our sex scenes I spent most of my time covering her breasts." Susan: "That's a tough job, huh?" "A tough, tough job" Jake agrees.


Jake tells the now famous story of Paul Newman, someone Susan admires enormously, teaching him to drive when Jake was only 15 years old. The mother in Susan is horrified to hear from Jake that "He was driving the car and he threw me in the passenger's seat and with his glasses dangling from his ear, he started driving on the track towards a brick wall. [Sarandon gasps again] We're 100 feet from a wall, going 60 miles-per-hour, and he hits the brake and turns the wheel, and the car spins three times. So then he turns to me and goes, "That was what you don't do." "



Horrified myself to hear of Jake in such peril, it's a relief when Jake turns to more serious reflection on why he is attracted to certain material. "I think that more and more there's a sense that the best performances I can give are the ones that are the truest to who I am. The further I move away from who I am, the worse they are... And I think the closer I get to myself, the wider the spectrum of what I can play." Later Jake says "I want to do this for a really long time." And Susan warmly responds "I think you could do it for as long as you want."

Finally, Susan advises the earnest young Jake that he should take a year off from thinking. "Bernardo said that to me!... He said, [in an Italian accent] "You need to take a year off from thinking. Come have sex in my movie!" " That sounds more like it.


Photos from IHJ.

22 comments:

Anonymous said...

Another great interview, very cute and funny. I've always loved Susan Sarandon too. :)

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hey Marina! :D

I do like this interview, and it also shows how pre-Brokeback Jake has changed over the last five years as he's grown into this fabulous and assured moviestar - but still I think with that cheeky sense of fun.

I love Susan Sarandon too and she certainly seems to have fallen for our Jake!

Thanks for commenting, Marina!

Anonymous said...

"You need to take a year off from thinking. Come have sex in my movie!" Bertolucci is great! Jake should have followed his advice..
I'd love to hear Jake making the italian accent!
bye from Anon 11.11

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Anon 11:11 - the Italian, right?!

What a film that would have been! I wonder how close it came to happening. It sounds like Bertolucci can recognise a hot, sexy actor - who can also act! - when he sees one and knows what to do with them.

I'd love to hear the accent too. Apparently, Jake does a pretty mean English accent too - wouldn't mind hearing that as well ;)

Thanks for commenting again!

Anonymous said...

Actually, Jake would have played the American in The Dreamers, which Michael Pitt ended up doing, not the French guy. He was the first choice for Bertolucci. Would have been very interesting to see him in it. Very intense, very sexual movie.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Get Real

This sounds like such a good film - thanks for telling me more about it. I'm so ignorant, it drives me mad... Who knows if Jake will do a film like this in the future. I may be wrong but it sounds as if Jake was frightened/warned off in the end because of the nudity. Now he's older, more self-confident in himself and in his ability as an actor, maybe he would be able to take that one step further with roles such as this and take them to the screen. There's great stuff coming, I'm sure.

Thanks for commenting, Get Real.

Anonymous said...

Can I just say. I love the pictures of Jake that you post. Some I've seen before at IHJ, but whatever. They are just beautiful. I mean he is. LOL! The very first one accompanying this post, up top is just ...sheeesh!
I love the Susan interview and yes, he has changed. More mature definitely. He was being interviewed by a good friend, so the trust level and the playfulness was higher then we usually see with some random journalist.

Anonymous said...

Re: The Dreamers

I'm finding it so interesting that Jake is the first choice of a lot of directors!

Also, some cute pics over at IHJ of Jake going through airport security at LAX, just like the rest of us! :)

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful interview. I have always liked Susan, she is a great actress and woman, intelligent and politically. interested.

I like how Jake opens himself when he feels save and likes the interviewer .

And again Jake has shown his sense for good scripts and storys - in turning down the role in “The Dreamers”. IMO a very shallow film -character motivation is as good as non-existing, no interesting storyline and the “shocking” moments (incest, masturbation while someone is watching , smearing menstruation blood in the face, full frontal view on (erigated?) penis- if I remember correctly, it was some years ago that I have watched it) do not serve the story at all.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi BobbyAnna

Thanks for that - I'm glad you like the photos. I take a lot of pleasure in selecting them!

And that photo at the top of this post is absolutely delicious as you say, the clear favourite from these although I do like the ones of Jake laughing while Susan looks on so warmly.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Carla

Well it sounds from that that Jake made the right decision. As Jake said about Secretary - the nude scenes were an important part of the plot and were done beautifully. If that's not the case for The Dreamers then why expose yourself (in every sense of the word) for it?

Thanks for commenting :D

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Anon - I've just put a post up about those new LAX pictures. I've passed through there a few times and I always think of Jake. Of course, you always know that he has to go through the same security process as every other human being but it's still hard to believe unless you see it! Mind you, not all of us have a PA to drive us to the airport or a guy to steer us through the airport.

Thanks for commenting!

Anonymous said...

WDW, I just thought it was very cute to see Jake at the airport. I love seeing him do everyday things, for some reason. Makes him real I guess.

Yes, that first picture of Jake is very beautiful - I think I said "Sheesh!" or something like it when I saw it too! Beautiful eyes and lips.

I agree about The Dreamers too, it sounds like Jake made the right decision. I haven't seen it, but nudity and sexuality in a film should add beauty and realism to it and be part of the story. :)

Anonymous said...

^^sorry, I should add that it can make a statement in film too, social or political.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Thanks for your comments Anon.

I agree that seeing Jake doing normal things does make him seem more real and not just a part of that insane Hollywood world.

And that photo really is beautiful. Jake's beauty undoubtedly adds to every film he makes, but I would not want to see it exploited by a film maker.

Anonymous said...

Yes, WDW, I agree. I would very much hate to see our Jake exploited in any way. :)

Anonymous said...

I managed to stop thinking about Jake and lollipops long enough to read this interview! Thanks for posting it (and the pics too-yum!)
I thought the bit where he talks about going from thinking "I'm so great" to "I'm so shit" showed that insecurity that came across in the German interview you posted. For all that he seems to live a very charmed life, there's a vulnerability about him that just makes even more attractive to me.

And LOL at the woman saying she'd be telling everyone she met him in the bathroom one day - I bet she is now!

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hey TwistedLogic

Glad you got to read this one as it really is interesting to compare Jake here with the Jake of the last German interview, 5 years later. He's clearly much more self-assured - he's as sexy as can be and that's got to have some effect of your self-confidence! - but he still has some of these vulnerabilities. Jake's still worried about making the wrong decisions and now he sounds like he's been picking up the pieces in love - but he still sounds honest, earnest, funny, self-deprecating, polite, just as he did in this interview with Susan.

I love the man Jake's become.

Anonymous said...

Thanks WDW for posting the great Jake interview with Susan. It was so enjoyable to read it again!

I myself have not seen The Dreamers, but I was aware of some of the sensitive scenes or subject matter in it. On the IMDb The Dreamers page, it say's this:

Jake Gyllenhaal was initially considered for the role of Matthew but turned it down because of the explicit nature of the nude scenes.

I find it very refreshing and endearing, when Jake is able to express at times his insecurities. He is often so known for his looks and appearance, that he cleaverly chooses roles that he wouldn't want to be only boxed in sort of speak in that type of category.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Anon Thanks for that great comment and the information from the imdb page.

One of the things that I really enjoy doing here and will continue doing is looking again at past treasures like this - after all, they show us where Jake has come from. And it is wonderful hearing him talk like this to someone he trusts and admires.

As you say, Jake's doing very well to avoid being pigeon-holed in the roles he takes on - it would have been so easy with those looks of his. It was interesting in a recent Cannes interview when Jake said he had been careful to avoid the teen movie roles he was offered.

Anonymous said...

WDW--It was interesting in a recent Cannes interview when Jake said he had been careful to avoid the teen movie roles he was offered.


To be honest, I am so glad Jake chose a different type of path early in his career! Both Heath and Joseph Gordon-Levitt have all done the same with their careers as well, and avoided the typical teen movies.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Anon

I agree with you. I'm very relieved that Jake (and his advisers) has taken a different path. I know that Jake came close to being given the roles of Spider-Man, Superman and Batman - I'm glad none of these worked out.

Thanks for commenting :D