Monday 4 June 2007

Jake Gyllenhaal - Love is knowing when to let your love go

It's only a day or two since I was wishing that we had more opportunities to listen to Jake Gyllenhaal being given the space and opportunity to express his feelings - however guardedly and carefully - about the big themes that preoccupy him, just as they do ourselves. Today my wish has been granted in the shape of an article in Welt Online, which features another interview with Jake from Antibes. Some of the answers are familiar - part of the rehearsed routine about Zodiac's themes of obsession and passion - but there are others which provide tantalising, albeit guarded, glimpses into Jake's heart. Again, this interview is in German and I suggest you consult the original article because my German is not as expressive as Jake's English.


From the beginning of the interview, it is clear that Jake is in a good mood. He offers his hand to shake and he winks before his assistant rushes up with Jake's chewing gum. 'Jake breathes deeply once, and with eyes closed puts two pieces of chewing gum into the mouth.'

The interview first focuses on Zodiac and Jake's portrayal of a character obsessed. For the second time, Jake compares this insatiable hunt for the answer to the need of some to understand the artistry behind a magician's tricks. "We are not satisfied just to be astonished. We want to explain the unexplainable." And if we can't understand it? "Then we want to destroy it. Therefore, Zodiac is for me a parable of our society: What we don't understand, we want to destroy."


Jake is asked what he understands by obsession and he replies with his analogy that passion is the land - "I always know where I am" - and obsession is the sea, "twice as large and definitely terrifying." This interviewer is sharp: "You neatly diverted yourself from telling me what your obsession is." Jake laughs: "You don't give up! I would describe myself as a very passionate human being. And I can be enthusiastic for many things. I know, you will now probably ask me what things..." The interviewer doesn't argue! Jake continues: "Now I'm walking on ice... Even if it perhaps sounds geeky, I have a big passion for chewing gum. I am very passionate where politics are concerned. I am a passionate cyclist. And I am a passionate family member, and my friends are unbelievably important to me. Obviously I am somewhat obsessive, when it concerns relationships."


And Jake seems perfectly happy to open up - just a little bit - about love: "There was this girl was in the sixth grade! No I'd better not tell you that! But, seriously, I'm learning about love and in a good way. In the past, I was so over enthusiastic to receive love that I suffocated it. Now I completely focus on the passion. Sometimes you want to fill an emptiness that you feel inside yourself with love. But that's wrong. Love is about giving and sharing. That's the only way to be lucky."

Jake is asked what he has already learned about love: "Classical love stories never worked in my life. I've never experienced it to run smooth. ... Love makes whatever it wants and moves in different directions and no love is the same. I always notice, that if I'm particularly open in a relationship to everything that it can be, then it's particularly beautiful. Liberty is so important in love! If I really love someone, I must also accept that this person may fall in love with someone else, and then must I let them go... We must learn to let go and let love follow, whereveer we may find it. But I believe, I can't speak so well about love..."

The interviewer reminds Jake that he has presented millions with the very image of true love in Brokeback Mountain. "That is probably my fate: a life dedicated to obsession. But I must say that I could easily reconstruct that obsession because it was born from passion. My heart is usually much stronger and more influential in my life than my mind. I'm often like that as well with my choice of roles: my heart doesn't tell me whether I should trust these feelings, but I trust my instincts completely up til now."


Jake is asked who he turns to if he he feels his heart is taking control and he needs an objective opinion. "My father once said to me: 'It is completely unimportant which decision you make and what you do. What matters is that you lead a good life.' At first I didn't understand that and asked him what he meant. So he said: 'Trust your feelings and go with the films that please you personally. Do what interests you and don't be afraid. Go outside into the world, do what you consider right, and come back home. Because that is the crucial thing, that you have a home. Work is important, but not everything in life.' This discussion freed me, because I knew suddenly that it's okay to make mistakes. The next thought that came to my head was 'Damn, actually you don't have a proper home!' "


The interviewer asks if Jake could change that and he responds: "Yes, I have already. Apart from the success which I've had, I've invested a lot of time in creating a home for myself." "But doesn't the traditional proper home need a wife and children? When do you want to take that on?" Jake laughs and replies: "I know many people who have marriage and children as their number one priority. But I've thought about that hard and think you shouldn't put the cart before the horse. You must first meet another person with whom you'd like to create a family. I know that when I have a wife and children it will be completely the right thing for me, but in the current phase of my life I'd probably prefer to just prepare for it. For the moment,my parents, my sister and her family are the best things I have in my life. No doubt at all. Yes, I would gladly have my own small family. But I'm still young."


Jake is asked if his career is an obsession or a passion: "Clearly a passion". "And if the passion of daily life diminishes?" "Since I don't define myself by my work, I wouldn't have problems doing something else. If it makes me feel better then I could earn money as a garden worker. However, I would love to do something with cooking. Perhaps I should open a restaurant, my best friend is a cook. And if you think actors are crazy, cooks are completely out of it."

Pictures from IHJ.

38 comments:

Anonymous said...

WDW: Thank you very much for finding this interview. Just like you, I was also hoping for another opportunity to read/listen what Jake has to say. And at last, we have one!

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Rattler

Thanks very much for commenting!

I think this is a remarkable interview. Jake's careful not to give too much away but what he lets us see is incredible and very sincere.

Jake may be clever but he also has a big heart.

Anonymous said...

Thank you very much for translating this wonderful article.

You created an amazing place. This is the best Jake fan site. I love it!

Anonymous said...

Thanks again WDW for another beautiful interview with Jake - I enjoy reading about the things that are meaningful to him, when he opens up just a bit in a good interview.

Anonymous said...

Who could have thought that it was possible to love Jake more than we already do? But each day, WDW, you prove that there are trunks full of treasure yet to be discovered about this most incredible man!

Anonymous said...

I`ve seen the Articel by "Gyllenhaal.de" too.
thanks for it. WDW and Gyllenhaal.de are the best in Europe!!!

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for translating this. It is good to have someone who understands and speaks german better then my poor english. :-))

What an excellent interview - I like how Jake affords us some small insights into the "real" Jake...

Unfortunatly the "Welt" review of ZODIAC is crap. The reviewer completly dislikes the film and Jakes performance - the first bad review to my knowledge over here. I saw ZODIAC yesterday and I don´t think we watched the same film...I was fascinated and couldn´t believe how much I liked this
movie.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Thanks everyone.

I'm so glad you liked the interview - it deserves to be widely read as Jake shines through it.

Carla - thanks for letting us know about the Welt Zodiac review - well, shame on them. I watched Zodiac myself yesterday and yet again I was amazed by Jake, by the quality of the film and Fincher's eye for detail. I hope Zodiac does well in Germany.

And Carla - there's nothing wrong with your English! :D

Dani - thanks for commenting. I've learnt that there is always more to discover about our Jake :D

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the translation. I love these little glimpses into Jake's soul.

Anonymous said...

Hi WDW
Thank you for your beautiful site!
I've read the same interview in an italian megazine(I'm Italian) and I think that Jake is a fantastic person...

Anonymous said...

Love that Jake says classic love stories don't work in his life.

And working on his home. Home is where the heart is. Austin is where his is -- Home is Austin.

Sometimes what he says shows how deeply love has penetrated his soul. Emotional passionate that can be seen a obsessive or sometimes smothering. When you meet people and make a connection you hang on clinging to the hope sometimes. Not letting go.

Anonymous said...

WOW! Thanks for the translation, WDW. What an amazing man, young Jake. He just keeps getting better and better and "interestinger and interestinger," doesn't he?

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Anons!

Thank you very much for commenting.

Anon 11.11 Thanks for letting me know that this interview has appeared in Italy - that's good to know. I'm really glad you like the site here :D

Anonymous said...

oooh, how tantalising. He doesn't give much away even though he seems to open up - how does he do that? :D

beckela is right: 'interestinger and interestinger'. Frankly he's starting to drive me crazy! But in a good way. ;D

thanks for translating it WDW.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Speck

Thank you for your comment which put me into deep thought.

I find something very touching in the idea that Jake realised that his house wasn't a proper home and that he's been working to correct that.

I find it remarkable that such a young man can talk so eloquently about love. Jake seems to me to be someone who loves heart and soul - a sure way to be hurt. It sounds like he's trying hard to learn not to make the same mistake - of not being able to let go - again.

Thanks for your comment Speck.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Beckela and Ruby!

Thanks for your comments. Jake is amazing and he reveals just enough glimpses into that heavenly heart of his that he bewitches us deeper!

Tantalising is what Jake's all about, you're right, Ruby. I find it extremely clever that Jake can say so little but it is just the right thing.

He's driving me crazy too and it's wonderful :D

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed this interview enormously! Thanks, WDW! It does offer important glimpses into the mind/heart of Jake. One of the many things I love about him is that he is so thoughtful.He deliberates about life and interactions with others, and really invests in his relationships with others. Not superficial! I found his comments about his earlier relationship very intersting.That he was conscious of the "smothering." I attribute that to a certain kind of innocence Jake projects. It's hard to explain, bcz I also think he is very worldly. But I think he is also an idealist. And he idealizes the people he loves.For him they are incredibly special. I think when he was younger, that first serious relationship, he was overly enthusiastic. Perhaps that someone he found so amazing actually responded to his attention! (I know.)He's more mature now and it may be he now appreciates that, while his natural impulse is to do all the giving, (which can overwhelm a relationship) it is also very fine,indeed,to receive and share. He's going to make such a great husband and father!!!

Anonymous said...

Just adding my thanks for translating and posting this interview- much appreciated :) I never get tired of reading or watching interviews with Jake (well I never get tired of Jake, end of ;)) he always comes across as intelligent, thoughtful, funny, depending on the circumstances, and he's always fascinating.
I fell in love with Jack Twist which is what started my interest in Jake, but I thought I'd be over him in a couple of weeks (as I ususally am with most of my celebrity crushes), but more than a year later, I'm still totally obssessed with him, and it's because of interviews like this. There's so much more to him than the tantalising blue eyes, the seductive smile, and the super hot body! If I ever met him, I'd love to just sit and talk to him, about any subject, just as much as I'd love to rip his clothes off and have my wicked way with him!

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for this interview and the translation, WDW!! I love this site!!

Jake *sigh* I so appreciate interviews like this. He really goes deep and allows us to know a bit about his heart and soul. Love him. :)

Anonymous said...

Hello WDW!

I just wanted to say this is a BEAUTIFUL site!

Thank you for the interview and for all the other Jake news (never enough, you know...):D!

Anonymous said...

"I find it remarkable that such a young man can talk so eloquently about love. Jake seems to me to be someone who loves heart and soul - a sure way to be hurt. It sounds like he's trying hard to learn not to make the same mistake - of not being able to let go - again."

WDW this is my first emotional post on your site. I just couldn't help it .. you made me do it. After reading your translation of the interview(which is so beautifully done --- you've got the "Jakespeak" perfect because your "Jakesense" is perfect) my tears just started falling as never before while reading a Jake interview and just when I thought I had dried them, this part of your comment released them all over again. I can't thank you enough.
All these words are like an echo of what's deep in my own heart.

Anonymous said...

Great interview WDW, thank you so much for the translation. Yes, love him more than ever. He comes across so sensible and clever with a good heart on strong shoulders.

The gum comment at the start and the admitting to being passionate about gum are sooo cute and pure Jake. Better than smoking that's for sure!

Anonymous said...

Oooops, forgot to add:

Does anyone else think it's weird, all these new interviews and articles as no one asks/mentions Reese? Is this either coz they werent allowed to ask/or allowed to print an answer (and if so why?!), or because they dont believe there is anything to ask about?!

This interview sometimes reads as if he may be in a relationship of some kind (maybe not Reese!) now, or equally he may not be. I cant work it out!

Anonymous said...

In the italian version of the interview (see above)the journalist says that she were not allowed to ask personal questions...
(sorry for my english)

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Anon - that doesn't surprise me that the interviewer was told no personal questions, but what does surprise me is that they managed to make Jake feel comfortable enough to open up about himself in a very personal way without giving away the names and places.

Thanks for commenting and please don't apologise for your English :D

Wet Dark and Wild said...

I just have to thank everyone for their comments to this post. Nothing brings us together so much or stirs us so much as hearing Jake talk about love!

Bobbyanna - what an interesting comment. One of the many things I love about him is that he is so thoughtful.He deliberates about life and interactions with others, and really invests in his relationships with others. I too find something very touching in the way Jake deliberates over what really matters to him and, just like the rest of us, he is trying to learn from past painful mistakes which he may feel are errors in judgement.

Hi Twistedlogic - thanks very much for commenting!

I think we can all agree with this! If I ever met him, I'd love to just sit and talk to him, about any subject, just as much as I'd love to rip his clothes off and have my wicked way with him! This has to be the difference between Jake and others - that there is more to Jake than those moviestar looks of his and it's these qualites that enrich his acting - how could we not love Jack Twist?

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Get real - thanks very much for commenting! If only we had more interviews like this with Jake. He opens his mouth, gives us a glimpse of seomthing deep within and we just can't help loving him more.

Hello Xenia! I'm so pleased you commented and that you like the site. Thank you very much!

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Incognita - I'm so moved by your comment and I am so pleased and happy that Jake touched your heart like that. I feel the same.

Hi LJF

a good heart on strong shoulders - weel, I think that describes Jake perfectly! And I find something rather endearing about Jake's admission that he's addicted to gum and that he finds comfort in it - and that he's possibly worried about seeming 'geeky'. As you say, there are worse habits! Thanks for commenting :D

Anonymous said...

Nothing brings us together so much or stirs us so much as hearing Jake talk about love!

That's for sure, WDW! His comments about love were beautiful. And I particularly liked this comment, his advice from his Dad:

Go outside into the world, do what you consider right, and come back home. What great advice!


Jake is totally, totally charming. I loved the gum comments too. :)

Anonymous said...

"Go outside into the world, do what you consider right, and come back home."
That's powerful stuff. His parents belonged to a generation of activists that went out into the world to do what they considered the right thing, but were not always welcomed back home!
It's courageous to be able to say:"Do what you believe to be right. You can always come home." That,I think, is what keeps Jake so grounded and self assured. And what permits him to take emotional risks and explore dark corners as an actor. Jake has a combination of audacity and grace I find absolutely charming. Does that even make sense??? LOL!

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Marina and Bobbyanna

That really is a very generous piece of advice for any child to be offered. That whatever you do, whatever risks you take, if you fall flat on your face, your home is waiting for you.

You are making sense, Bobbyanna, and I love it when you say that it's this emotional security Jake's received that has allowed him - and maybe even encouraged him - to 'explore dark corners as an actor'.

Anonymous said...

Just thinking about this interview a bit more. What I love, admire, and respect about Jake here isn't so much what he says, or even how he says it(although I do love reading it, of course), but the fact that he's brave and honest enough to say it at all. How many men (let alone Hollywood movie stars) would open up like that, admitting to their mistakes, failings and vulnerabilities,even in private to someone close, never mind the whole world? It takes a strong man to admit his weaknesses, as someone once said (at least I think someone said that, maybe I just made it up when I was drunk!) Whatever, Jake is a beautiful man, inside and out :)
*sigh*
Why can't he be mine???!!!It's not fair!

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hey Twistedlogic - good to see you again.

I've thought about this interview myself all day and I've found it all quite hard to take in - that's why I decided not to do another post tonight - I like to digest something like this and mulling it over with everyone here has made today pretty special.

You're right - the interviewer was asked not to put any personal questions to Jake but Jake still allowed the vulnerability that you speak of to be exposed. When you see Jake at big events, he is the consummate moviestar but how many other filmstars would speak of these truly deep and personal fears, desires and instincts?

Jake is a beautiful man, inside and out - you'll get no argument from me!

Anonymous said...

"Why can't he be mine?"

I ask myself that same question several times a day. When I rule the world, the first thing I'm going to do is order Jake to be cloned ;)

Anonymous said...

thank you, WDW, for posting and translating this incredible interview. Living in the U.S., I doubt I ever would have known of it's existence.

I think this is one of the most open and unguarded Jake interviews I've seen recently (post BBM). I was so impressed with his understanding of the "cart before the horse" trap that many people fall into in relationships. Maybe it's because he has his own family as a template, but he apparently has a deep, strongly held belief that the family you create must begin with the right person. A good relationship requires far more than just wanting to be "married with children".

This interview only reinforces my impression that he is one of those people that has a very strong and well developed sense of self. He knows who he is, and he knows what is important to him. By the time he is ready to settle down and get married, he will be one hell of a husband and father.

Anonymous said...

bobbyanna said...
"Go outside into the world, do what you consider right, and come back home."
That's powerful stuff. His parents belonged to a generation of activists that went out into the world to do what they considered the right thing, but were not always welcomed back home!
It's courageous to be able to say:"Do what you believe to be right. You can always come home." That,I think, is what keeps Jake so grounded and self assured. And what permits him to take emotional risks and explore dark corners as an actor. Jake has a combination of audacity and grace I find absolutely charming. Does that even make sense??? LOL! "



Bobbyanna I am quoting your complete post because I identify personally with so much of it and it will bear repetition. The other day in the course of conversation I was talking about my own privileged position and a friend asked me why I considered myself privileged. I'm not sure I was able to articulate the answer as well as you have done in this post. I recall earlier Jake interviews where he referred to himself as "very privileged" At that point he didn't explain it too well either but intuitively I understood what he meant. I was blessed with a home I could come back and take refuge in after exploring the world and having the freedom to make mistakes.

And thank you to all you amazing commentors -- I am dwelling on each of your posts and feeling like we are all together in making some truly special discoveries. Hope to see all of you around a lot. It's an honour to be in this company.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Birdie

It is definitely good to know that Jake thinks you shouldn't just rush into a relationship/marriage/family, just because that's what's expected of you. As you say, start by finding the person for you. You're right, Jake knows who he is and part of that is demanding more of yourself and not taking the easy path.

Thanks for commenting.


Hey Anon If you hear of any Jake clones going I'd like to put in an order! Thanks for commenting :D

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Thanks Incognita

I'd like to add my thanks to Incognita's to everyone here for posting their thoughts about this incredible interview and our special Jake. Your comments have been invaluable to me as I've let this whole thing sink in over the last couple of days. It's been illuminating and I really, really hope I catch up with you all again around WDW.

Thanks! WDW