Monday 25 June 2007

Rufus may be Jakeless but he was sublime

I never need an excuse to repost a favourite picture of Jake Gyllenhaal - but tonight I actually have one. Here are amazing pictures of Jake belting out, in a manner I only wish I could imagine, the closing words to Between My Legs, much to the joy of an ecstatic audience and a very happy Rufus Wainwright.



My excuse is that I have spent the evening in the company of said Rufus Wainwright - admittedly along with approximately 2,000 people - and can say with a big grin on my face that I've had the time of life. So, at the risk of being a little bit or even a big bit off topic, here are some pictures from this evening (bear in mind I was a long, long way from the stage and there was an usher watching me closely). Sadly, Rufus was Jakeless this evening, but we did get to see him singing most of the songs from his new album Release the Stars with a voice that I will never be able to give true credit to. Rufus sang even more beautifully than he does on disc and with even more soul. He joked with us about the difficulty of some of the songs, occasionally missing a note or messing a piano chord, but he carried us with him as he played with the beauty and power of his voice.



At one point, while incongruously but perhaps not unexpectedly dressed in lederhosen, Rufus sang without microphones a traditional love song, Malushka (forgive me if this is misspelt), dedicated to a blue-eyed beauty. There was only one blue-eyed beauty in my mind as Rufus enthralled us all. For the encore, Rufus appeared in a white robe which was finally discarded, as high heels and lipstick were donned and applied, and we had Judy Garland singing Pack Up Your Troubles. Rufus has stunning legs and a band that knows how to have a good time, dancing their hearts out in tuxedos.


I was fortunate to share this wet, windy and fabulous evening with Ruby, Major Grooves and his lovely friend. Major Grooves will no doubt give his own account of the evening, but his will be full of insults for the surrounding audience, who were keen to give us their own rendition of songs - while hiding my coat. If anyone would like to pay Major Grooves a visit and heckle him, please do. He craves attention.


Oops, how did Justin get in here ...

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh WDW how exciting, I am SO envious! Glad you and friends enjoyed him. I'm hoping to see him this summer too. Hmmmm . . . I'm not sure who Rufus had in mind, but the song dedication would have made me think of a certain "blue-eyed beauty" too! Rufus has a beautiful voice and seems wonderfully creative. :)

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Marina! Rufus was so amazing, I really hope you get the chance to see him. He was funny and modest and incredibly talented. And yes the 'blue-eyed beauty' meant only one thing to me. I loved every song.

Anonymous said...

I confess I bought "Release the stars" right after the presence of Jake at his concert...I had heard about him but never listened to his music...but then I bought "Poses" and I'm going to buy all his CDs because his music is one of the most exciting surprise in a long time...

And yes, that "blue-eyed beauty" has a proper name..-;D

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Xenia - Then you did exactly the same as me! I loved Rufus' contribution to the Brokeback soundtrack - I think that our 'blue-eyed beauty' has directed quite a few of us to discover Rufus more fully.

Anonymous said...

I hadn't heard of Rufus before BBM and I do love what he does with his voice.
No doubt the blue-eyed beauty has increased my motivation to go more into Rufus's music. Well at his next concert, what if he should start singing that song and the beauty should take the cue and walk right on stage ... and yes, burst into song himself! That would be a dream.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Incognita - What a dream fulfilled that would be! And I have to confess I was dreaming it through the show. I can now see why Jake likes Rufus' music so much.

Anonymous said...

I've often wondered why Jake doesn't really get up there and sing - in his own right. He has sung in a band on stage in his younger days, long before we knew anything about him! He has such a presence. Dream away Incognita, dream away.