Saturday 23 June 2007

Within these rules are amazing discoveries - Jake Gyllenhaal on David Fincher

On 23 May, ITV4 ran a programme on The Making of Zodiac, unfortunately in the wee hours of the morning. Earlier I posted some pictures from the programme, which, although squished, gave some idea of what it was like, at times, on the set of Zodiac and demonstrated how Jake Gyllenhaal, undoubtedly a comparative youngster, found within himself the ability to transform into this almost emotionally and physically compacted character.


Elements of Jake's interview for this programme, as well as extra bits, can be found dotted around, including here, but this time they are accompanied by wonderful pictures of a tired-looking, rather dishevelled and dishy Jake in purple. Definitely a plus! As David Fincher says to the cast during the rehearsals of filming the below scene in the Chronicle office: "Graysmith's presence in this room is only because it's incumbant upon the editorial cartoonist to be part of the discussion of what the politics of the paper are and where the paper is leading. But he's [pointing at Jake] obviously the kid."




David explains what it is that interests him, and doesn't interest him, about the Zodiac killer: "I'm not interested in exploiting this... Part of the reason people are going to see this movie is because people got killed - and that's unfortunate that that's dramatic. But that's not what my movie's about. My movie's not about aggrandising a mass murderer. I don't want to see a guy at home sharpening his knives. I'm not interested in that character. I'm interested in all the ancilliary people who were kind of left in the wake and how they picked up and moved on when there was no satisfaction."



Jake continues about the draw of working for Fincher and how, although gruelling, the constant re-takes and attention to detail were a vital part of immersing oneself into the portrayal of an obsessed individual "At first, I didn't know anything about the story - I didn't know the Zodiac. I didn't know about Robert Graysmith. But I did know about David Fincher. There's a sense in his movies - an interesting numbness in them and I think that comes from him - there's something in him and I think his process brings that out too. The way he does it forces you into the sort of state, and within that state is a David Fincher movie... It was gruelling in terms of the mindset you had to be in, particularly with David, he does lots of takes."



Chloe Sevigny agrees: "David wanted everything to be just rght, everyone had to be in at the top of their game and make sure every prop was reset in the exact place and the cameraman had to be right. He expects the best out of everyone in the crew and you have to really step it up when you're around him and be really sharp." Jake agreed: "He knows what he wants. It's sort of like working on Shakespeare - you have to stay within the parameter - you have to stay within the rules but, within those rules are, I think, amazing discoveries."



Jake also had to find a way, not only to deal with David Fincher's exhausting style of direction, but also with Robert Graysmith's motivation, which, at first, it appears as if Jake couldn't understand. After all, this is, unusually, a man who is prepared to put his family on the line because of an obsession which is not entirely motivated as one would expect. "I discovered that Robert Graysmith's obsession had less to do - when you're working on it as an actor - less to do with me obsessing about the facts, and why he found it so fun. Because I think that Robert found it actually fun. I think that's what's hard for people to understand - that this man enjoyed searching for this person. Whereas a cop would have done it because it's his job, or a journalist would have done it as his job, he really had fun!"

Robert Graysmith is under no illusions himself, well aware of what the Zodiac cost him: "I guess I'm the kind of person that doesn't like to give up. Once I have my teeth into a project I like to stick with it. You know, Dave Toschi gets a case every three weeks but I got ONE and I've got to give it my all, even if it takes ten or fifteen years."



The programme includes footage of the scene in which Robert Graysmith takes Toschi out for lunch - the scene when Graysmith first unveils himself to Toschi as a man obsessed. The footage shows repeated analysis of one or two lines that Ruffalo has to speak, while Jake looks on, drinking his coffee, not a little bewildered. Jake says to Fincher on his character's motivation: "It's exciting! This is Dave Toschi - this is Zodiac! But I also know that..." and Fincher interrupts: "He is the greatest thorn in his side."



Off Topic Rant: Umbrage

I want to take this opportunity to express some umbrage at Jake being called a 'douchebag' simply because he requested that a waiter should ask a woman to stop staring at him in a restaurant in Beverly Hills a few days ago. Apparently, according to this questionable code, it may not be all right to take photographs of a celebrity while he's eating, but it's perfectly acceptable to stare at him to the point where he becomes uncomfortable and then feel like you've been 'slapped in the face' because Jake has asked politely that you stop. I don't think that being a filmstar means that you have to live a life - especially while eating inside a restaurant for heaven's sake - without the manners and respect that are due to us all. Rant over...

Thanks to a DC friend for straightening these photos.

26 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aww .. I like the caps from the show that aired in the UK. No one happened to cap it for the rest of the Gyllenhaalics? Or is it the video you linked to on Youtube? (I haven't watched it yet. =P) Also, what's this 'douchebag' stuff? Did I miss something? When did this happen? =/

Stephanie

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Stephanie

I'm in the process of getting a quality DVD made and as soon as it is I'm going to be asking you to help me cap it! Going to PM you now.

The YouTube video I linked to is just an extract from a different interview made the same day - judging by the shirt and set etc.

I can only think this 'douchebag' stuff happened over the couple of days or so when Jake was a private meal (not when that picture was taken).

Wet Dark and Wild said...

oops, meant to say at the end ... over the last couple of days or so when Jake was at a private meal at that restaurant.

Anonymous said...

Oh .. ok! Sure, I'll see if I can help. =D

Interesting. Is there a link to a site that the 'sighting' was posted on? I didn't see anything posted on IHJ but I might have overlooked it. =/

Stephanie

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Stephanie

Yeah, there's a link in the post - just click on the 'douchebag' and it goes to the site.

I've seen no mention at IHJ but it's only just gone up. Appreciate any technical help. Just PMd you - check it out. :D

Anonymous said...

The thing that strikes me in the candid shots of Jake is how mobile his face is. This isn't a criticism as much as a curiosity: I wonder why he doesn't use that more when he is acting? I'm not talking about over the top clowning when the role doesn't call for it, just using it a little more to show what's going on in a character's mind. His face is so vibrant and interesting when he ISN'T acting, and I think when he starts to really use that expressiveness it's going to kick him up to the next level in his acting. From being considered a good actor by people who have a vague idea of who he is, to being a real standout whose name everyone knows.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Pav

Thanks for commenting - that's interesting about Jake's face and it was mentioned recently in another comment (forgive me for not recalling who the commentor was) that Jake had a cartoon-like quality to his face. And I agree it's no insult or criticism to Jake to say that!

He's got a wonderful face that is really mobile and agile and extremely expressive - sometimes just with his eyes and mouth (thinking of Brokeback here) but sometimes his whole face lights up and - as you say - that's usually when Jake's being Jake or being interviewed. Just think of those amazing faces Jake was pulling during the interviews for Zodiac!

Looking at these photos here, it suggests he has a natural gift for making people laugh, to laughing with others and for comedy. I'd love to see him use that in a film. I suppose some of that is losing an element of self-consciousness.

Thanks very much for that comment, Pav :D

Anonymous said...

Thanks WDW, I always love hearing new things about Zodiac. I really appreciate the way David Fincher chose to tell the story, how it affected all those involved, not glorfying the murderer or focusing on the murders too much. It was more about the psychological effects on those involved.

I agree, Jake has a wonderful actor's face, able to convey all kinds of feelings and emotions with his expressive, and very beautiful, features.

On the "restaurant incident" -
This is a prime example of what I mentioned in another thread, celebrities being treated like just one-dimensional screen objects, instead of the human beings they are. Why do some fans feel they are "owed" something by a celebrity? I always say that once an actor steps down from the screen, he goes back to being a private individual. Who knows - maybe Jake just wasn't up for all the attention that day. He's human. Wanting some privacy during dinner isn't too much to ask. I just didn't like the sense of entitlement with which the blog poster wrote about the incident. A touch of crass, to be sure. :(

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Marina - thanks for commenting. I love your description of Jake's beautiful face.

As for the restaurant thing - the whole point for me is that Jake was sitting eating a meal inside a restaurant. This is not being on display, it's not even walking down a street, it's sitting, eating in private. Jake's used to being stared at but for him to have asked this he must have felt really stared at and very uncomfortable. It doesn't sound like this woman was being at all subtly about it!

As you say, surely it's not too much to ask to be left alone while you eat inside a restaurant. And to suggest that Jake's being somehow precious because of it, is - as you say - crass. It's not our right to stare at Jake while he's eating!

Anonymous said...

WDW, thank you for the delightful screen caps from "Zodiac". (I've decided that "dishy" is now my personal favorite Jake adjective!) : )

As for the "douchebag" lady...... staring is RUDE. I don't care who or where...... there is no excuse. Given that Jake has repeatedly demonstrated almost superhuman reservoirs of grace and politeness when publicly "assaulted" by paps (or fans), there is not a doubt in my mind that this woman totally crossed the line. Jake handled the situation properly and discretely. I think we all know who the real "douchebag" is.

Anonymous said...

First, thanks WDW for another terrific Zodiac feature, I can never get too much information on the ins and outs of Jake's movies. As I have said before, maybe more than once, I totally take back any negative comments I may have made about David Fincher. No matter what his film making process is, he can't be thanked enough for giving Jake another masterpiece to showcase his amazing talent!

Birdie, what you said about Jake was so eloquenty put. He "has repeatedly demonstrated almost superhuman reservoirs of grace and politeness..." It couldn't be said better. A lesser person would have cracked long ago and shown a not very pretty side of themselves. But really, how much is a celebrity suppose to take. Their job is to give the people their money's worth on the movie screen. That is all we deserve to ask for our hard earned cash!

Anonymous said...

Who is this reverendsupreme jerk anyway? Does anyone care?

About Jake's expressive face: I love Jake's subtle acting style. I always know what his character is thinking and feeling because I can see it in his eyes and the oh-so-slight changes in his expression. The scene where Aguire rejects Jack in Brokeback Mountain comes to mind.

But I do love the VERY expressive Jake in Bubble Boy as well, the kind of role that his "rubber" face is perfect for. The guy can do anything, IMO.

Anonymous said...

WDW: I just saw your pm at IHJ. I'll get back to you as soon as I can. =D

Oh .. stupid me! I didn't even notice the link. haha Sorry about that. *blush* Going to read it now ..

Stephanie

Anonymous said...

Beckela, I agree about Jake's subtle acting style. And the scene you mentioned from BBM is just one of so many masterfully acted moments in the film. I 've got a pain in my heart right now just thinking of how "Jack" stood there and accepted what Aguirre had to say to him. The realization that Aguirre knew, to the no need in denying it, to the disappointment that Ennis hadn't been back. All there in Jake's beautiful expressive eyes and the quiet hesitant tone of his voice.

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for the caps, interviews and video on ZODIAC. I am one the people who believe that ZODIAC is a masterpiece and I am always interested in more information. Jake did such a fine job as Graysmith - he was able to take himself back while playing this shy, kind of dorky guy. He makes Graysmith actions believable.

After playing in those serious films like "ZODICAC" and "Rendtion" I would like to see him in a comedy - where he can use the "goofyness" und his "silly" facial expressions. "Bubble Boy" was not a milestone in film history but I loved this little film and when I have a bad day thinking of Jimmy Livingstone and "500 Dollaz" makes me always smile.

The "douchebag" story - if Jake, who is used to be looked at and being photographed - felt the need to take action I don´t believe for a second that the woman only had a "few glimpses" - she obviously invaded his privacy in an unacceptable behaviour.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Birdie - I rather like the term 'dishy' myself. It seems to sum up a lot of things about Jake.

I don't even know what a 'douchebag' is but I don't think I care to look it up! I do know Jake isn't one.

Beckela - You've brought back to me images of Jack's face during his second time in Aguirre's trailer, asking after Ennis. So many emotions flicker across Jake's face in that short scene, as they do when Jack says goodbye to Ennis when they leave the mountain. Eyes like that seem like a lethal weapon on occasion.

Hi Dani Thanks for those comments. I'm glad you've switched around your view of Zodiac. It's just that kind of film, I think. It needs to be given a lot of thought after an initial viewing and then rewatched. I feel like I've gained a lot of respect for David Fincher now having had an initial reaction against him because of all the rumours about how Jake was being treated on set. I think a lot of that has been put into context now.

Hey Carla I believe Zodiac is a masterpiece too and I feel like there is always so much to learn about it and the process of its production.

I love Bubble Boy! Especially with Jake's commentary. My favourite scene is the one where he buys the beer! It doesn't fail to cheer me up and fulfils a kind of similar role for me as Wet Sam in The Day After Tomorrow ;D

Thanks for your comments everyone :D

Kim said...

As a writer and teacher, I just want to say that your blog has not only helped me to appreciate Jake's art, but also shown me that you have some unique abilities as Jake's interpreter. I hope you'll consider your work here on this blog as being not just for entertainment purposes, but potentially for something more serious, such as a biography. Your insights into Jake's work and character qualify you for that type of writing, and something tells me that Jake's contributions to cinema, theatre and public debate are going to be worthy of a biographer.

Anonymous said...

WDW as always your serious posts make my day. I love this one and I've posted about it on Strike~Me~Gyllen. I've been meaning to tell you for quite some time that your blog draws highly intelligent and articulate posters and the calibre of the comments is exceptional

Anonymous said...

Kim I agree entirely with you.
"unique abilities as Jake's interpreter"

Thank you for expressing it so beautifully.

Anonymous said...

What Kim said -- absolutely!! Brilliant.

Anonymous said...

WDW is definitely channelling Jake! I said a few days ago that I feel Jake's presence when I come to WDW. There is so much genuine respect for him here. And what better person to become his official biographer than one that totally GETS him!

Anonymous said...

Jake -- are you listening?

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Kim - what can I say? To say your comment has made my day would not being doing justice at all to how it made me feel.

Thanks so much for saying that the site has helped you to appreciate Jake's art - because how can I have a better motivation than that? The whole point of WDW has been to help me appreciate Jake's work more, to think about what Jake does and why he may do it - without, of course, having the privileged pleasure of actually knowing him.

I'm a writer too and I can think of nothing else I would rather write about, whether professionally or as an extremely rewarding hobby.

Thanks for your faith in me, Kim, and Dani, Incognita and Beckela.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Incognita - I, for one, always look forward to reading comments left here as I know they both entertain me and give me all sorts of ideas that failed me when I wrote the original post. I really appreciate the comments here, they spur me on and make me think.

I am so proud of the quality of the comments at WDW!! Thank you!

Anonymous said...

. . . the site has helped you to appreciate Jake's art . . .

I agree with Kim as well! WDW knows how much I love coming here, and to SMG too, to read the interesting threads about Jake and his work, his creative family's work, and all of the thoughts, impressions, and inspirations from the wonderful readers as well. I don't think an actor could receive a better compliment that that - having a site out there that highlights and appreciates his work and art.

Thanks again for such a great site. :)

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Marina - Thanks so much - I always love to see you here. And I agree with everything you say about SMG.