Sunday 24 June 2007

Jake on Brokeback Mountain: If there's love, that's all that matters

Today may be a wet, dull and rather chilly day in England, nothing very special at all one would think, but to Brokies the world over 24 June IS a special day. Today marks the 40th anniversary of the day that Annie Proulx brought Jack Twist and Ennis Del Mar out of the wilderness and back together for their reunion. This has inspired me on a very enjoyable task - to furtle through my collection of Brokeback bits and pieces to look for little treasures.


Brokeback Mountain was a highly anticipated piece of cinema, not only in the US but also in the UK, where enough time had passed since the release of the film in America that expectations were soaring of a controversial and unique depiction of love where most of us, including the protagonists, would never expect it. It showed us how love could be found high up in the mountains and meadows, in glorious wide open scenery, but that it could still smoulder on in small towns, depressed homes and cheap motels. This love affair was almost like breathing - like taking in a big breathe of clean, cold, country air and holding it in for as long as possible.

'Cowboys in Love' was a popular subject for the media, not least because of the leads - both beautiful and interesting actors - and the director, whom, one may have thought, couldn't have seemed further away from America's West. Oscar expectations were high and so coverage was intense. Today, I'm focusing on one example of that interest, found in The Arts and Books section of the Daily Telegraph (Saturday 10 December 2005).


The Telegraph article focuses on an interview with Ang Lee. In these early days after the film's release, Ang seems unaware of how successful Brokeback Mountain would be, financially and socially. He is asked if he was worried about the film's gay element hurting its commercial success: "With this kind of budget, I don't feel much pressure. It was very modest - just over $11 million. It's a love story I believe in. I think it will make its money back, and you just feel lucky to have made this movie." As for why he made the film: "I read the last paragraph of the short story and I got choked up. It's a story I didn't quite understand, but because I got choked up I felt there must be something there."


The interview concludes with an interesting and amusing titbit about how Ang works with American as opposed to English actors: "There's no question that American actors are the most comfortable with cameras. English actors are brilliant with speech and dialogue, but they don't like it if you move your camera around. It freaks them. If you put your camera into a position where it seems it's spying on English actors, they seem to thuink it's rude!"


The Telegraph article is under no illusion about one of the main reasons for Brokeback Mountain's success: Jake Gyllenhaal. 'There is something of the old-time movie cowboy about Jake Gyllenhaal. Tall, muscular, with blue eyes and an intense, deadpan stare.' I can feel my heart beating faster...

Some familiar quotes, and others less familiar, from Jake are used to show Jake's path to Brokeback Mountain and how he made Jack Twist his own. "Yeah, I grew up very, very well-off in many ways, but that doesn't stop me being angry and being able to use the anger in a movie, I hope." During filming of Brokeback, "If I walked into the make-up trailer first thing in the morning and realised Heath was being a pain because he was exhausted and I was a little pissed off with him because of that, then I would take that into our love scenes. I just decided that whatever I was feeling, I was going to incorporate the real stuff into the scenes."


This is a love that refused to die and Jake was able to draw on a whole array of emotions: "What's special about Brokeback Mountain is that it says that whether it's heterosexual, homosexual, if there's love, that's all that matters, and it will last, no matter how scrutinised or abused it is." His own relationship had recently ended in whatever circumstances: "I'm 24 years old and my relationships are going to be incredibly dramatic just by the nature of what they are. I'm at an age where I don't know totally who I am, so how can I know who I am in a relationship? Society gives us these ideas of what love is supposed to be and how we're supposed to act and the movies say very simply, guy gets girl, guy loses girl, guy gets girl again, and I have subscribed to that idea and I think a lot of young people of my generation have done the same and have been led to a lot of unhappiness."


Includes pictures from Focus Features and IHJ.

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh WDW, this is such a beautiful thread, thank you! Happy Anniversary of your reunion, Ennis and Jack! :)

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Thanks Marina - It's a great day to commemorate!

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for posting something new and fresh..at least for me...concerning Jake and Brokeback. I can never get enough of either. This site continues to excel...Michele

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Thanks Michele - I hadn't looked at this newspaper for such a long time, I'd forgotten how good it was. Thanks for continuing to support the site, I really appreciate it!

Anonymous said...

I'm feeling much the same WDW, thanks for posting something that is so refreshing, so true, has had such a great impact on many lives. I truly can't get enough of Brokeback Mountain and a single image of Jack and Ennis together is like a shot to the heart.

I'm continueing to enjoy your blog, the observations, and your wonderful choice of images.

Cheers...

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Seaweed - thanks for commenting. Brokeback continues to influence my life and I think about it everyday - it means a great deal for me to be able to discuss it here. I'm glad you like the images; I enjoy selecting them.

Anonymous said...

WDW, I can honestly say that there has not been one single day since January 5, 2006 that I have not thought about Jack and Ennis. No matter how many times I watch the film - all or in parts - I never tire of it. I am still riveted to the screen, afraid to blink in case I miss something. I thank Annie Proulx for creating these unigue characters, but all the rest of the praise must go to Jake and Heath for slipping under their skins and becoming them. They made Jack and Ennis real people that we cry for. Their love was so strong that millions of people refuse to accept the fate that befell them. We can't let their love end that way. It feels like if we keep talking about them our boys will live and love forever!

Thanks for another Sunday Treat!

Anonymous said...

I can't offer any profound or deep comment befitting the reunion anniversary.

But this post did remind me that one of my most vivid memories from seeing BBM was the initial reaction the friend that I saw it with and I had at the end of the movie. We were both weepy and rather stunned, the movie theater lights coming up, and finally when we both had recovered our power of speech, we looked at each other and in unison said...... "Holy s**t! Jake Gyllenhaal was unbelievable.... who knew he was THAT hot and talented?"

We were completely knocked out by his performance, not to mention his almost incendiary screen presence. IMO, BBM really showcased Jake's devastating combination of great talent and charisma. The camera does indeed love some people more than others and Jake is one of them.

Anonymous said...

WDW I just woke up and as usual came straight to your blog(I have my priorities right!) and to quote Jake Gyllenhaal himself, I'm "just blown away" Thank you for making my Monday morning. And to all the posters here
"You all rock"

Anonymous said...

WDW I'm back again having got RL out of the way for the moment.
"This love affair was almost like breathing - like taking in a big breathe of clean, cold, country air and holding it in for as long as possible."
These words are sheer poetry and reminded me of just the way I felt when I first saw the Logo video "Making of Brokeback Mountain". That was my first encounter with the film and it left me with a great sense of cleansing. I recall how it left me sobbing helplessly and a feeling of awakening and renewal that started when I was through with that. I was led to watch it over and over, it drew me like a magnet and left the same feeling everytime. I wanted to say a special thank-you for choosing that particular article because it was one of the early pieces I read about the movie and it motivated me to go deep into it and to get to know more about Jake.
This is where I came across it
Once Upon a Time in the West and
The One Jake
You are wonderful in the way you have drawn out the essence from those interviews and presented it to your readers. And it refreshed my memory about facts worth remembering, that I had forgotten in the rush to catch up with all that's new with Jake.

Anonymous said...

Hi WDW
Thank you for this post on Brokeback Mountain..it's wonderful..that was the very first film with Jake that I saw and I can't forget that my eyes were full of tears for all the last part of it..
Thanks again

Anonymous said...

Has there ever been another film that has inspired celebrations of "film time events?" I don't think so -- isn't it amazing that it even occurs to us that it was "40 years ago" June 24 that Ennis and Jack first reunited? And what a reunion! I still feel an indescribable thrill when I see that scene -- even knowing now the heartbreak and devastation to come. Sometimes I will watch only that scene, trying to keep that joy in my heart -- and theirs.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Dani
What a beautiful comment: We can't let their love end that way. It feels like if we keep talking about them our boys will live and love forever! That's just how I feel and, well over a year on they're still with us.

Hi Birdie Thanks so much for that! I love how your experience of BBM combined tears with the sheer exuberance of discovering the talents of Jake!

I realise now that for me I fell so deeply for Jack Twist not only because of the incredible power and beauty of the story and script but because I'd fallen for Jake.

Incognita
Thanks for your comments. Awakening and renewal - that is what Brokeback is all about for me. I can't help but remember the pain this film put me in for such a long time but now I'm enjoying this phase of 'renewal' that Brokeback brought me. Love was never meant to be easy and Brokeback taught me this.

Thanks for those links and thanks for having your priorities straight!

Hi 11.11. I'm glad you liked it. It was a pleasure to write. Thank you so much for commenting.

Hey Beckela
I suppose that's the timelessness of Jack and Ennis and how really that mountain could have been in any time. I remember when Jack Twist's hat was auctioned and my first thought was - why? doesn't he want it? No other film would have made me think like that.

Anonymous said...

A beautiful piece, WDW. It reconnected me with feelings I was experiencing last year and that continue to influence me. Incognita, thanks for those links, it was good to read the articles again.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Thanks Ruby
It is good to look back and remember.

Anonymous said...

Ok, I have to admit, I watched Brokeback Mountain (again!) last night in honor of Ennis and Jack's reunion anniversary. I'm always struck by just how great a film it is. I love Jack's quiet dignity and strength in it, and his honest acceptance of his feelings. He's always there for Ennis, even literally holding him up in their last scene together - unwavering is the word that comes to mind. Ennis is so full of love and passion for Jack, even if it's not immediately visible on the surface. His frustration in trying to express it painful for me to watch. His love for Jack does show itself in the most interesting of ways - his reactions to the painful separations, doing things to make Jack happy, his anticipation of and his explosive happiness at seeing him again at the reunion. :) It's one of the most beautiful films I have ever seen. It brings me to tears every time too. What wonderful roles for both Heath and Jake. :)

Anonymous said...

Thank you for this wonderful post WDW, and to all of you for your moving comments. I've got tears in my eyes reading through it all. I could talk about Brokeback Mountain all day but never fully express everything I feel about it, let alone as eloquently as you all have done here, so I won't go on. Suffice to say there will never be a movie that captures just about every human emotion possible and in such a beautiful yet heartbreaking way. Brokeback got me good and it sure ain't over.
And of course if it hadn't been for BBM I would never have discovered Jake, and what a wonderful actor he is. The minute he stepped out of the truck I lost my heart to him, and he still has it to this day.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Marina and Twisted Logic I can't thank you enough for sharing those private thoughts about what Brokeback and Jack and Ennis mean to you. And I'm so glad you saw the film again last night, Marina.

Twisted Logic, it's so true - Brokeback led many of us to Jake. Deep sigh of relief!

I couldn't let Brokebck go today, so I've done another post on it. I didn't think anyone would mind.