Friday 29 June 2007

Zodiac and Rendition - potential winners?

As Variety reminds us today, the year is half over which means that half of the year's contenders for the 2008 Oscars - and the other award ceremonies for that matter - have now been seen, slept through, criticised, argued about, marvelled over and maybe forgotten. Variety highlights some of the major players from the first half of 2007, including all those mighty sequels, and speculates that the Cannes Film Festival may be an indicator of where the Academy should look. And that means 'Paramount's impeccable David Fincher drama "Zodiac," which may find a wider audience via DVD and screenings.'


Then Variety goes on to look at what we and the Academy might expect to interest us in the second half of the year. And there in October is Rendition and Jake Gyllenhaal.


I know we've been disappointed before - I could barely look at the Oscars this year without getting a twitch and disturbing flashbacks - but next year we may have a lot to celebrate. But if the Academy lets us down again, there are always other academies ...




Includes pictures from IHJ.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I totally agree WDW, the Academy got it very wrong last year.
I haven't seen either Zodiac or Rendition yet (I had to cancel plans to see Zodiac 3 times and it's not showing anywhere near me now so I'm resigned to waiting for the DVD :( but by all accounts Jake put in an excellent performance in Zodiac and there seems to be a lot of positive buzz about Rendition so hopefully Jake will get the recognition he deserves this time. I'm sure he will win an Oscar at some point in his career though, he's too talented not to.
Thank you for the Bafta pics :) I was so pleased Brokeback (and Jake) got the recognition it deserved over here. And wasn't Jake just adorable when he won? I could watch the clip of him making his acceptance speech all day long, he was so shocked and happy and nervous all at once - bless him!
Let's hope we see more of the same next year :)

Anonymous said...

Hey WDW...I do not hold the academy in high regard when it comes to awards. I usually do not quibble much about their best picture winners..except for the year it picked that trite movie Crash over the much better Brokeback Mountain. I do not hold and high hopes that Jake will be nominated for anything for Zodiac...but perhaps he will for Rendition, because the movie covers such a high profile subject. The whole world wants to know what the CIA is doing to those prisoners...so I am expecting Rendition to get some mileage off of all the news stories. I just hope the movie is not another Liberal, government bashing movie...I cannot imagine who they used as experts for the material...but time will tell..I can hardly wait for October!! As always...you put up the best pics of the lovely and amazing Jakey...thanks for posting--Michele

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Twisted Logic
I'm sorry that you missed Zodiac but not long now at all until the DVD. I agree that there's an Oscar out there with Jake's name on it, just a matter of time.

Jake looked absolutely thrilled when he won that Bafta, what a reaction! Wouldn't it be great if it happened again next year?

Wet Dark and Wild said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Wet Dark and Wild said...

^^^ Oops, accidentally posted that comment twice ;D

Thanks for your comment Michele. I agree that Jake stands more chance with Rendition than Zodiac. I just can't wait to see his performance because I'm sure it'll be superb.

That's a good point about who they might have used as experts for Rendition.... hmmmm. Fingers crossed.