Thursday 28 June 2007

Jake's superhero Donnie

We have been talking a lot here recently about Brokeback Mountain and Jarhead, contrasting the roles of Jack Twist and Swoff and speculating as to their effect on Jake Gyllenhaal's growth as an actor and as a human being, as well as the impact of these films on us. In the case of Brokeback Mountain, for some of us, it could even be called longterm damage. However, it is quite possible that the film of Jake's that is most widely respected and admired is not even Brokeback Mountain, but Donnie Darko.



Today I saw an article which reflected that the biggest takers at the box office are those with the biggest budgets, meaning that more modest films can slip through the net and be missed. I've mentioned this before, particularly in regard to Maggie's films; Sherrybaby and Stranger than Fiction were absent from my cinema. The writer lists five films which, he argues, viewers should seek out. And there amongst them is Donnie Darko.


Released in 2001, almost immediately after 9/11, it arrived in US cinemas at a time when filmgoers had little interest in films. Not surprisingly, Donnie Darko disappeared almost without trace, until it was revived with the DVD release in the spring of 2002 and then a Director's Cut in 2005. The film proved particularly popular in the UK. Now this complex, mystifying and strangely satisfying film is almost venerated and can be endlessly discussed in pubs, not least because to many it can seem unfathomable. What is for sure is Jake's superb, charismatic interpretation of superhero Donnie, as he takes on the bizarre task he is given - to put the world to rights at the highest cost.


Just last week the American Film Institute (AFI) released its revised list of the top 100 movies. This is a controversial list, not least because neither Donnie Darko or Brokeback Mountain are on it although Rocky and Titanic are. However, other organisations have been more receptive. FilmFour in the UK released its own list last year - the 50 films to see before you die list - and there was Donnie Darko at No. 9. Also, this month, a vote in New Zealand to discover that country's favourite top 100 films put Donnie Darko in the top 10. But it's not just the film; its incredible soundtrack, so evocative of that period, has also led the polls. Gary Jules and Michael Andrews' Mad World was a Christmas number 1 the world over in 2003.


There is so much to say about Donnie Darko and we will, but this brief feature has been inspired by our recent conversation about the meaning of Jake's roles for us. I realised that Donnie Darko was my introduction to Jake and that, however many times I watch this film - both versions - and listen to its soundtrack, I discover more and, even though I might not understand it all properly, I love to seep myself in its atmosphere, its fabulous cast and just admire the craft of Jake. He taught me everything I know about smurfs.

The pictures below were taken at the premiere of the Director's Cut in Hollywood in July 2004.






Pictures from IHJ.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'd love to see Jake work with Jenna Malone again. They had good "chemistry" and she is a very talented actress. Won acclaim for her stage work in the last year or two. Does a lot of Indie film work.

Would also love to see Jake work with Drew Barrymore again.
Kate great information. I had no idea DD was released after 9/11 in 2001. Things tend to go foggy for me in the weeks immediately following 9/11. I don't think I started thinking about other stuff in a real focussed way until after the New Year.

Anonymous said...

I looooove Donnie Darko! Thank you, WDW, for your wonderful insight once again -- AND for my favorite pic of Jake at the Director's Cut premiere. He has his arm over the shoulder of Steven Poster, the cinematographer, the next to the last picture. The way Jake looks at Steve is magical.

Anonymous said...

That is a great pic, Beckela. I love Donnie Darko too. I have the Director's cut version. It's another complex film that you've got to see more than once. The soundtrack is one of the best ever; I like Gary Jules' version of Mad World better than the original. I didn't realize it was released after 9/11 either; that time is a blur for me as well.

Anonymous said...

I feel a Jake marathon coming on for this weekend. It's time to revisit Donnie Darko since it has been awhile. Lately I do find that I would rather focus on the actor that Jake is now, but the truth is there are so many good performances in his past. Even as far back as October Sky he was showing us that he was the real deal and his talent would only continue to grow. I'll be right up there in admitting that I don't totally get Donnie but it is worth another trip. Jenna Malone has always been an interesting actress and I would love to see her and Jake together again. The same with Drew Barrymore who I find an inspiration because she turned her life around in such an amazing way!

Anonymous said...

Dani said:

. . . he was showing us that he was the real deal and his talent would only continue to grow.

I agree Dani, he really does show that in his earlier films. You can see the beginnings of the fine actor that Jake would become. :)

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi everyone Thanks for the comments!

Beckela - thanks for naming Steven Poster, I'd unfortunately forgotten his name. But, like you, that's my favourite picture from that night and shows how Jake can look at so many people with real and genuine affection.

Marina - I adore the DD soundtrack, it's probably the 'Jake soundtrack' that I play the most.

I have both versions of the film but I have to say I will always prefer the original, not least because of Jake's commentary. But also because the opening doesn't feel right to me without The Killing Moon.

Dani and Bobbyanna - I'd like to see Jake act with Drew again in particular. I really admire her. I had no idea about Jena being such a successful indie actress.

I've got to say again here that I adore Donnie Darko - for me it's right up there with Brokeback Mountain, and not just because of Jake - although I think he is phenomenal as Donnie, he IS Donnie - but because of the whole package. Everything about it fills its place. I don't get all of it but I can sit there and drown in it.

Anonymous said...

By the way, I do hope Donnie Darko is the ONLY superhero Jake ever plays. Donnie is his kind of hero: more cerebral than physical. I'm very glad he didn't get to play Spidey, and his journey to fame and recognition has been, and remains, on a unique path.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

I couldn't agree more Beckela - I have no desire to see Jake take on a superhero franchise(Indiana Jones being the one exception!!). I hate the thought. 'Cerebral superhero' - like that :D

Anonymous said...

. I don't get all of it but I can sit there and drown in it.

That's exactly how I feel about DD too. I like the fact that I don't get it though, it means there's always the chance of noticing something new, or seeing something from a different perspective. And as you say, you can just sit back and enjoy the ride, by which I mean the performances (especially Jake's obviously!) and the humour and the wonderful soundtrack.I grew up in that era, so a lot of those songs were already special to me.
I agree with you WDW about the opening of the original compared to the Director's Cut. I like Never Tear Us Apart, but it didn't feel right hearing it over the opening instead of The Killing Moon. But I have to say The Killing Moon also fits perfectly in the scene where Donnie and Gretchen come down the stairs in the Director's Cut, so I can't really decide which is best. Doesn't matter though, I enjoy both versions. I know there are sites where the film is explained in detail for people who don't get it, but I'd rather not have it spelt out to me. I like to just take what I can from it for now and one day maybe it will all click into place.

Anonymous said...

Oh, I forgot to ask- could somebody please put me out of misery and tell me who the guy is standing just behind Jake and the girl whose t-shirt he's just signed (and who I'm not jealous of at all, not one bit ;). It's driving me mad!

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Twisted Logic - I avoid those sites too. The confusion is all part of the charm! I'm an 80s person myself too and so I love that era and it just feels right in Donnie Darko.

I'm afraid I don't know who the guy is - I find it hard to even notice him what with that look going on on Jake's face! And what's with the hat...? Where d'you think you recognise him from?

Anonymous said...

I don't have a clue where I've seen the guy before, that's why I asked - it's driving me nuts! I'm sure I know him from somewhere but I just can't think where. And yes, ususally I wouldn't notice anyone else who's in a pic with Jake, but this guy rings a bell for someone. Maybe I'm subconsciously trying to avoid looking at Jake cos looking at Jake looking at that girl like that just brings out the 12 year old fangirl in me!!

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Maybe he'll ring some bells for someone.

I love that look on Jake's face and so does she - ahh, to have JG at your feet!!

Anonymous said...

Yes, Jake looks like he's proposing to her doesn't he? I hate her!!! lol! ;)

Hopefully someone will know who that bloke is. I still can't think who he is. He's very cute though:)

Just wanted to add something about DD: I love the on-screen relationship between Jake and Maggie. I don't know how much their characters reflect their real life brother/sister relationship but I've got two little brothers and we have the exact same love/hate thing so I'm guessing some of those scenes might have come very naturally to them. I always have tears in my eyes when Elizabeth is crying as they bring Donnie's body out.Partly for Donnie himself of course but also cos I would be exactly the same if it was one of my brothers.
I'd love to see Jake and Maggie work together again.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hey Twisted Logic - I think Jake says on the commentary about how true to life those scenes were with Maggie. I can imagin that two such competitive siblings would have done some real squabbling around the kitchen table.

I find the end almost too hard to watch and I think it must have been difficuly for Maggie.