Friday 27 July 2007

Here's a story about a boy named Jake

There's no doubt - Jake Gyllenhaal is an inspirational figure. I discovered more evidence of this indisputable fact today when I happened across the music of young Brit Amy MacDonald. The debut album of this young singer and composer from Glasgow is the album of the week on two shows on national Radio 2 and is receiving attention in the wider media. The album This Is The Life is released on July 30 and one song, LA, is dedicated to Jake.


In an interview in The Sun newspaper, Amy says of Jake "People think I’m some sort of celebrity-obsessed loon, but he is my favourite actor and the song says you can make your dreams come true." The lyrics describe how even though she has only seen his face on the screen and only heard his voice utter words from a script, she wants to follow him and he can help her to realise her dreams. You can listen to part of this song, and others on the album, at Amy's Myspace. Lots of other information about Amy, including videos can also be found there and at Amy's website.



Reading about Amy, she says that one of her influences is the Guillemots, another of those bands Jake's made no secret of liking. The legend goes that Jake actually requested a meeting with them and, about a year ago, Jake was seen at one of their concerts in New York. I cannot rave enough about the Guillemots - I've seen them in concert and it was one of the best nights I've had out - at a students union so I thought I'd drink a lot in order to fit in with all the youngsters.


The Guillemots played at the Glastonbury Mud Bath this year and were interviewed for the Glastonbury website. And this is what they said of their famous fan: "F.D. [singer Fyfe Dangerfield]: Jake Gyllenhaal was nice. Very shy. Didn’t seem like a movie star in his hoodie… G.S. [Drummer Greig Stewart]: …But he did have a girl with him. F.D.: And he was very cool. He told us he sang along to our songs in his car… Strange." I think that the girl was probably Kirsten as she is also a fan of the band and they have attended Guillemot gigs together. I regularly sing along to the Guillemots in my car and I find nothing strange in that at all! Check out their website - it's... imaginative.


The trouble with Sherry

Today is the 27 July, meaning SherryBaby opens in some, but not all, cinemas across the UK. Already, this film is being called the film that many will miss. The Daily Mail praises Maggie's performance as a career best but says: 'The best new film of the week will also be the least commercially successful. It's humane, intelligent and beautifully acted, so it has little chance of surviving long. Catch it while you can.' The paper also says that this may be a hard film to watch if it weren't for Maggie. Great praise indeed.


Includes pictures from IHJ.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Another sad commentary on our times that a movie given such high praise as SherryBaby has little to no chance of being a success - something we all know about with another recent GREAT film. Not everyone is such a movie fanatic that they know when a film is opening in order to jump on it while they have a limited chance. There are people that might eventually discover these gems if given more than a week! I just hope the good filmmakers out there keep trying to deliver the messages they feel compelled to tell and do not get discouraged by an ever increasing lack of interest by the mainstream public.

Sorry I can't comment on the music because I have not heard it. But thanks for the information. I love it that there are other people out there who get something real and meaningful from our guy, Jake.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Dani - Thanks for the comment :D The good thing about SherryBaby is that it's received a lot of attention in the press here and so people should seek it out.

It's definitely worth checking out the music links if you feel like it as there's some great music out there that is loved by and loves Jake :D

Anonymous said...

If the meeting with Jake and the band was last year then yes it was Kristen. They were spotted at a concert in L.A. together last year.

Maggie G is a snob. I had the misfortune of meeting her on several occasions.

Anonymous said...

I've heard that (that Maggie is a snob) for quite a while now but chose not to say anything because it seems that on all the Jake sites, all of his family and closest friends are deified so you can't say anything about them, even if you have seen stuff firsthand or have heard about it from legit sources.

I have heard that Jake is sweet and honestly, he's the only Gyllenhaal I care about.

Anonymous said...

^^^ If Maggie told you in person to go f*ck yourself, that's because you were not asking permission to talk to her, or to accost her, or to take her photo, and of course for you she's a snob. I for one only think she's a lioness and she's defending her space. Deal with it!

Anonymous said...

Well Maggie G gives the finger to paps, that's for sure.

I thot Sherrybaby and Venus two of the finest sorta "slight" films Ive seen recently. I found a few faults in Sherrybaby but thot Venus
perfect. The good news is that these films will remain available and word does get around. So - we are given more than a week!

I assume any film of worth goes to DVD, and if not, viewer who want to see it can make a fuss - am I wrong, those of you who are more savy about this than myself?

sass said...

Venus is an extraordinary film. I was fortunate enough to see it on the big screen. Thanks for all this marvelous information...
xoxoxo
s

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Oh dear, I pop out for an evening...

I've been fortunate to chat with Maggie myself and she was pretty damn lovely. Thanks Anon 20:50

Thanks for for your comments Positively pia and Sass - good to hear from you!

Anonymous said...

My comment about only getting a week to see some of the films is true for where I live. Next time I will make sure that I mean in my city. So it is a good thing that movies go to DVD fairly quick so that you don't have to wait that long to see something that was gone before you could get to it!

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Morning Dani! Of course the funny thing about SherryBaby is that I had the DVD long, long before it came out at the cinema in the UK!

Anonymous said...

I love that Jake is a fan!!! I've suspected as much for a long time, but your story is delightful. I can just see him being all shy.