Sunday 12 August 2007

Jake's tranquil bubble - sometimes the bad guys are the good guys

Like the rest of us, Jake Gyllenhaal is not the same person he was five years ago, you just have to look at pictures of Jake in Bubble Boy in 2001 and compare those to the stills from the Rendition trailer. Yet, Jake has trod a steady path in his career over the last few years and he wouldn't be the actor he is now if it weren't for the lessons learned in his first films. I'm excluding Donnie Darko from this because that film is to my mind a masterpiece, which will always stand out in Jake's movie career. For me, when I need a film to cheer me, sometimes on a Sunday night with the working week looming large (looming even more than Graysmith ever did over Avery's desk), it's Bubble Boy I turn to, especially with the commentary - here's a link to a taster of Comedy Jake.


And maybe I'm not alone. Movies.com has listed The 25 Best Movies You've Never Seen and there at No. 4 is Bubble Boy: 'John Travolta may have played a Bubble Boy first, in a sappy TV movie about a kid who needs to be wrapped in plastic and protected from the elements. But Jake's haircut tells the whole story here; there's something a bit "off" about this surprisingly funny 2001 big-screen version, in which Jimmy builds himself a portable bubble to go after the gal he loves. Oh, sure, there are moments that challenge our dear boy. (Ever try to steal a can of beer while waddling around in a homemade germ-free sphere?) But nothing can keep Gyllenhaal's love-struck Jimmy down for long. His heart — and the film's heart — is that big.'

I have to add that the scene with the beer stealing is one of my favorite moments in Jake's entire career to date! Also, check out Jimmy's dad - I wouldn't get too close, I've seen him somewhere else lately...


I've had a look at other films on the list and I've only seen three others - Falling Down (at No. 1), Time After Time (No. 19) and the fabulous Heavenly Creatures with Kate Winslett at No. 25.

But back to Bubble Boy. At the time of its release, as one would expect, the film came in for a lot of criticism for its supposed bad taste and disrespect for anyone who might have to live in a bubble in reality. Yet, as Jake points out here, this film just offends everybody - noone is left out: "I think when you see the movie, you discover that the bubble boy is a hero, and anyone who crosses his path or the brunt of any jokes on HIM, ends up with some pretty bad Karma. So that, on top of the fact that it's a pretty equally offending movie of EVERY and ANY group out there, so you just have to go with it, which I understand will offend many people, but hopefully a lot more will laugh. Most importantly, if people SEE this movie they'll hopefully discover that supposed controversy was much ado about nothing." As a result Jake did no research on real life bubble boys - I can see it wouldn't really be necessary!


So why did Jake take on this bizarre but loveable movie? "When I first read the script I thought it was really funny, but at the same time, I thought it could go either way; either absurdly forgettable or it could say something political, interesting and a little subversive. I think walking in to meet the director and producer, we all agreed that it should be saying something subversive, ALONG with something humorous. In order to do that, I think they needed someone who could also have a dramatic take on it, as well as a comedic one... I think I can respond to his sense of innocence and guilessness in a way that you have when you're a young kid, where you grow up in your own kind of proverbial bubble. Then you grow up and meet all these people, at which point you realise that there are some people who aren't what you expected; sometimes the good guys are bad and the bad guys are good. We all discover that as we grow up. I was coming to terms with that when they cast me, so I really related to it."


As for being stuck in a bubble himself, Jake says it wasn't all unpleasant - although take a look at the extras on the DVD and you'll see it looked pretty horrible. "...it was unique to have tranquillity around me. I couldn't hear anything outside of the suit, really, so at times it was nice to have some peace and quiet." Sometimes I think Jake can see the good in just about anything.

More young Jake...

...this time from new/old pictures recently posted at IHeartJake. The first shows Jake at the premiere of the 2001 film Lovely and Amazing. The second shows Jake and a friend at a party at Club Lotus in 2002, which is, I believe, in NYC.



A taster of the Dark Knight

As reported yesterday, The Dark Knight made an appearance at Wizard World last night. Unfortunately, according to this report, neither Maggie nor Heath attended but director Christopher Nolan, writers David Goyer and Jonathan Nolan, and Christian Bale (Batman himself), Gary Oldman (Lt James Gordon) and Aaron Eckhard (Harvey Dent) were there along with a special 'sizzle reel'. This showed scenes with Heath as the Joker, including one where he dances with Rachel (Maggie) - can't wait to see that!

Pictures from IHJ.

23 comments:

Anonymous said...

"I think I can respond to his sense of innocence and guilessness in a way that you have when you're a young kid, where you grow up in your own kind of proverbial bubble. Then you grow up and meet all these people, at which point you realise that there are some people who aren't what you expected; sometimes the good guys are bad and the bad guys are good. We all discover that as we grow up. I was coming to terms with that when they cast me, so I really related to it"

Now that's Jake drawing your attention to home truths in his inimitable way. When Jake says something you really pay attention - that's what I love so much about him.
Thank you WDW for making it a happy Sunday!

Anonymous said...

I absolutely LOVE Bubble Boy! My daughter had told me years ago to see it, but I never did until after I was smitten by BBM and Jake. My loss, for sure! The casting alone was a stroke of genius -- Fabio as a cult leader? Brilliant! Nothing and no one escapes the arrows of satire/sarcasm in this one.

Jake gives us a tantalizing glimpse of what is to come from him -- his sensitivity and understanding of the human condition along with a delightfully funny rubber face. Wonderful!

It never ceases to amaze me how so many critics miss the point of so many excellent films, which, in turn, influences potential audiences more often than not.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Incognita -this another great example of Jake revealing quite a bit about himself without giving much away either - he's a master at it. He really does know how to use words - very carefully but with feeling at the same time.

Happy Sunday to you too :)

Hey Beckela - I absolutely adore Bubble Boy too. I've seen it over and over and it never fails to make me laugh out loud. I can think of so many funny bits - right now I'm thinking of the scene where Jimmy tries to buy the bus ticket... And I found the whole film very clever, even taking my Jake bias into consideration. I don't know why it's so looked down upon. And it shows what a master of comedy Jake can be.

And the hair!!!

Anonymous said...

Hey there,

my first comment ever here... It's about time...

I loooooove Bubbleboy... In the beginning of my Jake addiction I had only seen some short clips on YouTube and the scene that stuck to my mind was the moment when he wakes up with the bubblewood. And I thought exactly what the director predicted in his commentary - something like "Oh nooo, it's that kind of movie"... Oh, I was soooo wrong!!!
One day I was lucky enough to catch it on a comedy channel in the US (thanks to somebody over at DCF who announced it) - and I just loved it!

Some time ago I showed it to two friends who know about my little "Jake problem" and I was so happy to see, that they really liked it too! :)

But I doubt, that the movie would be so wonderful without Jake! He is just doing a great job there! LOL, what a surprise...
Like with Jack Twist - I cannot imagine anybody else playing the Bubbleboy the way he did!

Oh, and I believe the friend in the last picture might be Macaulay Culkin (or a brother?)...

And thanks for putting up this great blog! It really is number one choice for up-to-date and serious information about Jake! You are doing a great job!!!

Anonymous said...

Hope you're having a great Sunday too, WDW!

I was enchanted by Bubbleboy, and this is a movie, having known what it was about beforehand, I might never have seen. It is kind of "equal opportunity offending" but in a lighthearted, non-hurtful way, showing the absurdities of these things, as Jake says. It reminded me a little of a scene in Spike Lee's Do The Right Thing, where the characters of different ethnic groups have a frame in which each one strings together all manner of insults and (fairly harmless) slurs at another, showing how silly and absurd the whole thing really is. Very smart.

Jake is adorably innocent as Jimmy, with an angelic face. Loved his hair. My favorites lines are Pushpop's, but there are so many funny lines. And Jimmy's strait-laced, over-protective Mom having been a biker chick in her past, named "Wildfire". Did she ride off into the sunset with Slim on the back of his motorcycle? I'll have to watch it again. :)

I liked Jake's comparing it to growing up and leaving the safety of your "bubble", and the "exposure" to people in the real world, and having to decide things for yourself. I like how he thinks more and more. :)

Wet Dark and Wild said...

FANFARE FOR ULI!!! Great to see you here :D

Bubble Boy is a fabulous film and has nothing in it to dislike but so much to enjoy. It's a good one to share with others too. Even Mr WDW has been known to chuckle from behind his computer magazine... His favouite scene is the one where everyone drives through the spliced cow - yuck.

Ahh, is that a Culkin? Somehow they start off cute and then...

I'm so glad you like the site Uli. Thanks for making my Sunday *)

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Marina - I reckon I'm going to have to put Bubble Boy on the TV now, because I'm being reminded of scenes I can't wait to see again. And Jake's beautiful flexible face - when his eyes well with tears when he's in the car with his father...

As I recall Wildfire did ride off into the sunset with Slim - but hubby made three ;D

Anonymous said...

Uli! So good to see you here with yet another interesting perspective on all things Jake and more. And, yes, WDW is doing a fabulous job.

My favorite line in Bubble Boy is, "Have you ever been cosmically bitch slapped by a six-armed goddess?" I laugh out loud just thinking about it.

Anonymous said...

^^Oh yeah, WDW, I forgot about that part. Tee-Hee! :)

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Beckela that's so funny :D I love the Jesus cookies - makes m quite peckish. You remember in the commentary where the bride is being fitted for the dress and Jake talks about how he loved her and joked he ran her website. Does anyone remember who Jake was talking about?

Anonymous said...

She is a Carradine, but I can't remember her first name. She may be Robert's daughter.

Anonymous said...

I just looked it up -- her name is Ever Carradine and she is Robert's daughter. Gawd, I love the Internet!!!!!!

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Ever Carradine! Ahh! You're amazing Beckela - thanks :D

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the welcome WDW and Beckela! Like I said - it was about time for me to comment here...

You mentioning all those scenes from Bubbleboy makes me wanna see it again... I think one of my favourites is also the one at the busstation...

And the scene with in the car with his father is so heartbreaking...
Those eyes... Sigh...

And regarding the bitchslapping... I made my colleagues over in the US LOL and raise their eyebrows at the same time, when I asked them what "bitchslapping" means... (I still don't know really , though. I am a bit dumb it seems... LOL). They were asking where I had that word from, and couldn't believe that it was from a Disney movie (well, kind of...)...

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Uli - well, you're not the only one. I can honestly say that Bubble Boy is the only time I've ever heard the term 'bitchslapping' ;D

Anonymous said...

Hey Uli! great to have you commenting at last and hope to see you regularly. Reading all this is making me keen to see Bubble Boy.

Anonymous said...

We have a great Jake sighting on MV! Yesterday, Jake and Chris ran a road race in Chilmark. Jake got a nice haircut! Good for them! :)

Wet Dark and Wild said...

This is great Get Real! - where did you see the photo?

Anonymous said...

Btw, love the Bubble Boy talk and Jake's wonderful insights. :) I hadn't thought much of the movie until I also became a Jake fan after BBM. I then caught it on Comedy Central. Thought it was adorable. Jake brought a goofy (in a very good way) charm and great comedic timing. Plus when he tears up when his girlfriend leaves him always breaks my heart.

Very cool news about Batman and Heath and Maggie's dance. Can't wait to see it.

Anonymous said...

Actually I got it from
Wicked'sWonderfulWorld blog. They should get the credit for finding the website with the picture. :)

Btw, love the pic of Jake and M. Culkin!

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hey Get Real - thanks so much for letting me know about this - I've put it up on the site and the credit is all your's.

I had the picture right in front of me but I didn't recognise Jake a first with the new haircut! But he looks great - I love his hair like that. I hope some new pictures turn up later on the site.

Just good to see Jake.... deep breaths.

I didn't recognise Macauley either... We all seem united in our adoration of Bubble Boy and, like you, I would never have seen it without BBM :D

Anonymous said...

Hi WDW...LOL!! I thought I was the only one who loves Bubble Boy...I have read so many bad reviews about the movie, but I ignore those anyway..I do not let critics decide what movies I am going to see. I only recently got the dvd and was able to watch it with the commentary...which is priceless...Like you..I also love the scene in the convenience store when Jimmy attempts to steal the beer...the look on the woman's face and her demeanor is hilarious...and when it is revealed what she is really doing..it is even funnier...thanks for posting about Bubble Boy..glad to see I am not alone!! Michele

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Michele - thanks for your comment :D You are definitely not alone. I adore Bubble Boy and it seems like most of us do as well. The whole scene in the store is hysterical :D