Sunday 7 October 2007

Jake to work with Fincher again? Jake 'has the capability and the depth to love'

Here's something else to think about... I thought I'd put it out there that David Fincher's Torso project, much talked about in 2006, appears to be reawakening and may well be his next movie after he completes The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, possibly before his sci-fi film Rendezvous with Rama. This is particularly interesting because Jake Gyllenhaal's name is still connected with it.


Produced by Angry Films and to be distributed by Paramount Pictures, Torso is another grizzly Fincher film, more along the lines of Se7en than the procedural Zodiac. It tells the true story, set in the 1930s, of Eliot Ness, an agent for the US Treasury, who becomes a public safety officer in Cleveland, which is being terrorised by a spate of gruseome murders. Ness assembles a team of retired cops to find the serial murder whose trademark is to dump the torsos of his vctims in the river. It is based on a graphic novel by Brian Michael Bendis and Marc Andreyko. The secreenplay is by Ehren Kruger, who is also the writer of Transformers 2, The Ring and Brothers Grimm. The producers are Terry Fitzgerald, Todd McFarlane and Bill Mechanic. These details are from IMDbPro.


Having come across this on IMDbPro, I did some searching around and came across this September 2007 post on the Gilliam Dream messageboard forum: 'Its dark tone and structure inspired Fincher, who first read it whilst in production on Zodiac. To add a further connection to Zodiac, Fincher has even cast Jake Gyllenhaal as Eliot Ness!! A good piece of casting indeed, plus it's due to start production early next year, it's been in development for a few years, but Paramount Pictures have recently put it on the fast-track, to avoid the impending 2008 Writers Guild, Directors Guild and Screen Actors Guild strike, so we could see it for 2009!!'


This is flimsy 'evidence' and is merely put here to start a discussion. It makes me think of three things in particular - would Jake want to be involved in a second David Fincher project, even taking their clear friendship into consideration? Would Jake want to be in another film about a serial killer so close in time to the Zodiac during which, Jake has said, it took him into a world he was glad to leave behind? And it reminds me of August 2006 when Jake was seen walking around NYC with TORSO 'tattooed' on his right forearm. Do you remember Tattogate? I know some people have more reason to remember this time than most as it coincided with a bookreading by Stephen Gyllenhaal on MV, which Jake attended.


At the time, there was much debate about what these letters said on Jake's arm, not to mention why they were there. A fun time! But, to me, they clearly say 'TORSO' - a coincidence? I doubt it. Just click on these pictures, embiggen 'em and take a look.

Thanks to Jantoinette for the alert on this, which set me off!

Hot and sexy Jake

Here is a link to a video which comes from two, I think, TV shows, which revel in Jake's more obvious attractions. Containing clips screened shortly after Moonlight Mile and The Day After Tomorrow, the video shows a series of tributes to the young actor, including one by Susan Sarandon, who says 'he's so goodlooking, he could play just your normal everyday kind of cutie'. Model Adrienne Curry says 'Jake Gyllenhaal is sexy because not only does he have a fabulous body, but he's also got this childlike innocence to him. You just want to pinch his cheeks and make out with him at the same time'.


So what does Jake think about all this? 'When I hear that I'm a hot and sexy young actor, it makes me feel hot and sexy.' Watch the video if only for that moment!

Crushes

Talking of Susan Sarandon and Jake, I was having a look at Jake's section on people.com and it includes a great quote from Susan. In December 2002, Jake won a spot in People's Sexiest Man Alive issue and Susan said 'He's gorgeous, and he's got those big dreamy eyes. A lot of eyes can't offer 'I love you' in a convincing way. With Jake, you believe he has the capability and the depth to love. That's awesomely attractive.' I think in this case I'll forgive use of the word 'awesome'.


Jake's co-star in Moonlight Mile, Aleksia Landeau, told People in September 2002 that 'Everyone had crushes on him – wardrobe, makeup, everybody. He's not like those actors who are like, 'Look at me!' He has a poetic soul. He lets people come to him.'

It made me chuckle to read a quote from Jake himself, revealing he's not safe from having a crush or two either. It seems Jake told In Style in 2001: 'I had a model phase, then a thing for Alyssa Milano and Christina Applegate. But I was in love with Martha Plimpton.'


And finally...

...Just for Neely, as requested, here are caps of Jake at 48 seconds and 49 seconds from the truly adorable pink snap bracelet video - here is the link to that treat again.



Includes pictures from IHJ.

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

Although all thsoe threads still add up to tenuous, I think it would be good for him to play a cop. Surely the three roles any male actor has to play at some point are cop, doctor and lawyer?

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi bmg - I agree. This is tenuous stuff but who knows? If the film has been given a push by paramount we could get a surprise. That's interesting when you say that most actors will play a cop, doctor or lawyer. Jake's reaching the age when that's applicable - I would really like to see Jake play a cop too. I think the key point here is seeing Jake in 'adult' roles.

KeepCalm+CarryOn said...

I saw a mention of the possibility of Jake in "Torso",directed by Fincher in an article by Kain Adrian on www.screenrant.com a couple of days ago. It turned up in my Jake-alerts from Google and the writer was expressing admiration for Ehren Kruger(less so for Transformers)and eagerly awaiting Kruger's screenplay of Brian M.Bendis' original story.

I was going to email you about it,WDW,but then thought it was probably a mistake,that they'd just attached Jake's name to the project because of his recent involvement with Fincher on a serial killer story. Maybe I was wrong and there is more to it as you have unearthed several more references to it.

I don't know what to think,really. I'm sure Jake wants to work with David again and vice versa,but not necessarily on a similar macabre theme,maybe on something markedly different in the future. Intriguing.

The OTT gushing about Jake's hotness on the video is funny (although understandable)and he's characteristically self-effacing and funny. If he's a sexual volcano beginning to erupt as the throaty voice over suggests,where can I enrol on a course in sexual vulcanology??!

It is reassuring to read quotes from Jake talking about his own crushes because that means he'll have some understanding of so many of us being totally ga-ga about him.

A "poetic soul"(Aleksia Landau) is a description of Jake which seems dead on to me,makes me glow,And Susan Sarandon's evaluation that it's so easy to believe Jake has "the capability and the depth for love" makes my stomach turn over. He has intimated more than once that he lets his heart rule his head,which is so endearing,and makes me all clucky again because it's the sort of personality trait that leads you to set yourself up to get hurt and then go back for more. Awwww,I could just give him a big squish!!

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hey Nadine - thanks for the link. It's interesting that the association of Jake with this film continues after all this time. I saw that alert too and thought little of it, but looking around there is a bit of a buzz going on so I thought it worth a post. I remember Jake being associated with this some time ago. We should wait and see - speaking selfishly, I want to see the films line up and I don't think Fincher can make a bad film (all right, I know I'm biased and I am an Alien fan). You're right - the whole thing is intriguing.

Oh, the sexual volcano beginning to erupt! What an image :D I loved that quote from Jake for the reason you mention - I like to know Jake has had his fair share of crushes. I agree that Jake might have that kind of open heart that can lead to being hurt and that's probably one reason why so many of us feel protectively towards him. Can I give him a 'big squish' too!

Anonymous said...

Oh WDW - Thank you so much for those caps! So gorgeous! I appreciate it so much. :-)

I was thinking the same thing at the mention of the "Torso" film. David Fincher again, and a serial killer again, so soon? I know he will be great in any role and I'll go see him in whatever, but it's just too close to "Zodiac" right now.

The comment from Susan Sarandon about his "big, dreamy eyes" and
this quote from Aleksia Landeau - "He's not like those actors who are like, 'Look at me!' He has a poetic soul. He lets people come to him" - it remind me of a line from "Dear Frankie". The Stranger tells Frankie's mom "He's got your eyes. They pull you...right in." I think of Jake every time I watch that scene. He has that same effect on me.

KeepCalm+CarryOn said...

How can I deny you,WDW,squish away. Those glimpses of vulnerability make him irresistible and infinitely squishable!

Wet Dark and Wild said...

My pleasure Neely! Jake has that affect on me too. He seems to have that affect on a lot of people...

Thanks Nadine - infinitely squishable indeed :D

Anonymous said...

Do you remember Tattogate? I know some people have more reason to remember this time than most as it coincided with a bookreading by Stephen Gyllenhaal on MV, which Jake attended.

*whistles* Yes, I have a vague recollection of this moment. ;-)

And hard to believe, but after getting over my initial heart-stoppage of seeing him close up in the flesh, I was absolutely stunned when I saw that ink on the inside of his arm. STUNNED I tell ya! And impressed. :-)

It somewhat surprises me to this day that his skin remains unmarred by either ink or piercings, considering his teenage rocker boy phase.

Anonymous said...

Oh and p.s. - What WAS that faux-ink all about anyway??? Another one of those Gyllenmysteries.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Felicia - thanks for posting because, as you'll know, it was you I was thinking of when I wrote that! I thought you might remember that time :D I bet you were stunned - it was shocking enough just as an observer on the net. But shocking in a good way.

It must have been incredible to have seen that in person (I wonder what Naomi said!)

I'm surprised too that he hasn't made a mark on himself. I rather like tattoos myself... Not all kinds, just some. And Jake is so expressive.

So thanks, Felicia *)

Wet Dark and Wild said...

I think this particular Gyllenmystery may have had something to do with Fincher and this movie, but the thinking behind it? No idea!

Anonymous said...

It must have been incredible to have seen that in person (I wonder what Naomi said!)


LOL, if I remember correctly it was (to someone she and Jake were talking to), "Have you seen his shoulders? He's been doing a lot of rowing." Methinks she knew all about the fake tattoo. ;-)

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Jake certainly does have fine shoulders ;) Good technique to distract from the tattoo. I'm glad to see its not just my mum who can be so embarrassing...

Anonymous said...

Hi WDW...thanks for posting some news ..though it may not come to pass...of a possible future role for Jake. Kevin Costner starred in the last movie I saw concerning Elliot Ness...the movie was "The Untouchables" and it was powerful. I would love to see our boy play a bad ass like Ness. I think it would be a good role for him to stretch his skills. I agree with you..that temp tatt...definitely says TORSO!!
As for those eyes...you could fall into them and never find your way out!! AND..I am still loving the short hair...I wonder if he is going to keep it short for "Brothers" I would love to see the short hair and the clean face..:-) Love Love Love your site....Michele

Anonymous said...

Ok, I have to confess that my first thoughts about Jake in a movie called Torso had nothing whatsoever to do with serial killers;)Er...Anyway, I loved Se7en and Zodiac so I would have no objections at all if Jake did this but I do agree it may be a bit too early for another serial killer movie (although after all the messing about before Zodiac finally came out Jake could start filming tomorrow and it might not be out til 2010!). Personally I'm more excited about Brothers, but I'd go and see Jake if, as someone said here once, it was just him sitting there watching paint dry!

Btw, I studied the Tattoogate pics carefully and I've come to the conclusion that Jake has the most droolworthy arms.. so strong looking and tanned...Oh yeah, the tattoo definitely says Torso imo :)

Thank you so much for that video WDW! That bit about wanting to pinch his cheeks and make out with him at the same time is so true! He does that to me in the bracelet video, the way he's so excited about the bracelet is adorable in a childlike way, and then the bit where he puts it round that lucky bi... er, I mean interviewer's ankle is adorable in an entirely different way!

Anonymous said...

Hi WDW -

More Jake news! I remember hearing about the film Torso awhile back as well, and the temporary tattoo. I think Jake would make a fantastic and sexy Eliot Ness, and the film would be great in David Fincher's hands. I like the time period too, should be interesting. I had seen The Untouchables with Kevin Costner too.

Speaking of tatoos, I agree with you WDW; while I can appreciate them sometimes, I don't prefer them and would hate to see Jake's beauty marred by even one. He needs no adornments, why tamper with perfection?

Which leads me to the "volcano" YouTube clip - oh please stop, I don't know if I can stand all the hotness! I loved all of the comments from Susan and others who have worked with him. ;)

Anonymous said...

LOLOL!!! "...smoldering volcano..." indeed. OTT doesn't begin to describe it. But....I do think he is just beginning to...well...to... OK. (starting over.) I think Jake is just really beginning to come into his own as a very hot, sexy leading man type. And I love that he picks great films with intelligent scripts and good production values and top directors...and that his directors appreciate that he is totally a hot, sexy, talented, intelligent, sexy, hot man.

I bet David Fincher would want to work with Jake again. Wouldn't surprise me if Jake is waiting for a script to react to.This young Eliot Ness, or whoever Jake plays in whatever project, is going to have to really grab him in a special way. I believe there's genuine affection and respect between Jake and Fincher.If they work together again,they'd know a lot more about what to expect.Benjamin Button will be the third time Brad Pitt is working with him, so I think Fincher likes the notion of having his "own" actors to draw from. Jake could do worse than have a person of Fincher's caliber to collaborate with.Don't know what I think of the title...or the subject matter...Torso....ugh! I just want Jake to sign up and get to work on a kazillion movies ASAP!

WDW you amaze me. What a detective. I remember well when all of us were fascinated at the prospect of a tattoo. And also dismayed.Jake with a tattoo and/or piercings would be like someone spraying the Sistine Chapel with graffiti! Felicia you had to be havin' a heart attack! I remember waiting and reading every single morsel you posted about that fateful poetry reading on MV!

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Morning everyone - shame it's a Monday but at least it's one day nearer to JR! Happy holidays to the lucky blighters in the US :D

Thanks Michele - I wouldn't mind seeing Jake play a bad ass too. I must agree on wanting to see Jake with this short hair without the beard - just to see what it's like ;)

Hey Twisted Logic - I've been playing that bracelet video over and over again too - I even showed it to Mr WDW who announced that he had some snap on bracelets (but yellow ones) somewhere. He's got to dig them out. I think it's true that if Jake does do Torso it could be some considerable time coming out, although it's scheduled for 2009 at the moment. Well, we know how that can change.

Hi Marina - I like the time period for Torso too. I also like the idea of all the details that Fincher would put into it.

Hey Bobbyanna! - he is totally a hot, sexy, talented, intelligent, sexy, hot man. - YEP! I've thought before that Fincher does like to work with a set of actors, like Brad Pitt, and it wouldn't surprise me if he wants to be part of Jake's progressing career. And Jake could do far, far worse that continue this relationship with David. But I would want David to do a Gavin Hood and realise that he has got a hot and sexy leading man and make some use of that!

I'm not keen on the title and I'm not keen on the idea of a film full of torsos (yuck indeed) but David does this kind of film very well and, like you, I just want Jake busy!

I thoroughly enjoyed Tattoogate - and reading Felicia's accounts of her wonderful experience. Hearing talk of Torso just brought it all coming back. Hard to believe that's over a year ago now.

KeepCalm+CarryOn said...

Felicia,you lucky thing,I'm only just finding out about "Tattoo-gate" and your up-close encounter with Jake. Fantastic! Love his mother's obvious pride in her son and his manly physique.

I'm really glad Jake has no permanent tattoos and piercings (that we can see ;-) ) I think perhaps his Jewish roots preclude him from having tattoos because it is frowned upon at the very least in Jewish Law.

Although I can appreciate the artistry in some exceptional tattoos,I prefer a blank canvas and think that many,many people who have followed a youthful trend in having a tattoo/tattoos,will live to regret it as the years go by.

As for Jake,I agree with so many others,perfection needs no embellishment.