Sunday 25 November 2007

Jake - 'I'm sucked dry by film and I think I’m fed by theatre'

As Jake no doubt packs his bags to head off to New Mexico to begin filming a new movie for us on Tuesday, this is as good a time as any to remember the success that Jake has had with previous roles, most notably Brokeback Mountain. For Jack Twist, Jake received a multitude of nominations (except, oddly, by the Globes) and, quite possibly, his biggest success was with the British Academy who, on 19 January, awarded Jake Best Supporting Actor, beating the 'Clooney Twins'. I remember that night very well (and a friend returned with an autograph from Jake for me), not least because I was determined that this would be the last such occasion I would miss in person!


As a result of his enthusiastic win, Jake rode high in the appreciation and adoration of the UK's media sites and newspapers. Journalists remembered Jake from his success on the London boards a few years before and the relationship between Jake Gyllenhaal, his British fans and the British media grew stronger. When Jake travelled back to the US, he was seen carefully guarding his BAFTA, which was given its own seat on the plane, next to his. A week after his win, an interview with Jake by the UK journalist Stephen Applebaum appeared in which Jake talked at great length and with great honesty and openness about what movie making meant to him, especially the whole Brokeback Mountain phenomenon, his upbringing, his beliefs and his relationships with the people who shared his film experience with him.


Brokeback Mountain

It's interesting that Jake discovered with Brokeback Mountain that for the first time in his experience the critics became the audience and, wherever Jake or anyone involved in bringing this film to the screen went, critics expressed their own emotive response to Brokeback Mountain. Its mix of controversy and conservatism is an interesting one. Jake talks about why he took on the role of Jack, and suggests that he was not first choice for the role but that it would have been a terrible thing for him if he had not been given the part.

'First, it’s always about how I emotionally, instinctually react to the story. I don’t choose my films as a social or a political move, and that’s not my first motivation ever. I mean, somehow, maybe the way I was brought up and what I consider important is involved in those instincts somewhere, you know what I mean? [Smiles] I know a lot of young actors that didn’t want to do this film, and thank God they turned it down, because they were first choices over me. And maybe their political background and how they were brought up played into their instincts in responding to the material. But all I can say is that when I read it, I got past something and saw what was so beautiful about the film. I wasn’t consciously going, ‘This is really going to rock ‘em and they’re really going to be surprised, and we’re going to really give ‘em a one-two here.’ I was given a one-two by the script [laughs], you know what I mean? I couldn’t not do it.”'


Brokeback and Jarhead 'are the first time I have done anything completely on my own, without asking people what they thought of them and if I should do them or not.'

Jarhead - 'It is a time in my life where I feel these feelings of frustration and anger'

'I don’t think you have to do much as a young man to create frustration [laughs]. You know what I mean? Any type of frustration, be it mental or sexual or whatever. That’s the primary reason why I felt like I wanted to do the role. I felt so strongly about playing it because it is a time in my life where I feel these feelings of frustration and anger, and that feeling of wanting to punch your fist through a wall and not understanding why. What I think I have discovered about the military, in my short and peripheral experience of it, is that they harness those feelings and focus them towards an end. They give them meaning through missions.'


Jake's upbinging - 'I believe that there is good to all of this'

'I think that no matter what I always look for humanity, like I always look for a sense of hope. It can be in the bleakest story but I don’t buy total perversity, utter perversity without hope. I may be naïve but I believe that there is good to all of this, and those are the things that move me. That’s definitely a part of my upbringing. The best part of my upbringing [laughs]. And then the perversity plays a part of the other part of my upbringing. But without the hope, I don’t think anything really, really works; in particular, movies and stories.'

'Those ounces of perversity, or maybe pounds, whatever, varying degrees for everybody, but I just think that we all have had our share of pain as children. Being a child is very hard in this world, no matter how you were brought up, and I can see easily how you could spin that in my case [laughs], but still, no matter what.'


As Jake became more famous and, it seems, in the wake of his BAFTA win, he found assumptions were being made about his childhood and his aspirations - almost like legends were being created to which Jake's words were fitted - such as Paul Newman teaching him to drive and Jake wanting to do carpentry.

'Well, I actually do enjoy carpentry. It might annoy him but unfortunately it’s something I really do actually enjoy, and to me it’s a little offensive if, you know, somebody thinks that it’s like not as exciting a job. Because, personally, I am happiest when I’m building a table for my mom, you know? Which I did, and do, and I love woodwork, you know? Our interests are all varying. I don’t know why I find joy and calm doing that but I do... And yeah, my upbringing: it’s funny how people tinge it and move it however they want to for whatever they need to move it for. People say, you know, ‘Oh, Paul Newman taught you how to drive, right?’ and I say, ‘No, my father really taught me how to drive and he’s getting a really bum rap because one day Paul Newman did take me out to the race track.’ I said that once when I was doing press when I was 16 years old and now that’s all people write. Believe me I was in awe when it happened. But I think people do sometimes, when I talk to journalists or whatever, kind of like to go, ‘Well, it was this way, wasn’t it?’ I don’t know, I don’t understand it completely, but I understand them [sighs]. . . I have been through a lot even just recently. In the past couple of days, it’s been very interesting to hear what people have to say about how I was brought up, because my experience of it was very different.'


On whether Jake is conscious of carrying people's dreams with him: 'I have no sense of anything and you can quote me on that. [Laughs] No, I’m surprised at how much people love Brokeback Mountain [can’t contain his giggles], everything’s a surprise to me, what people feel about different things. It’s amazing how people are responding to different things and what bothers people and what doesn’t. Unfortunately, it seems, I’m always trying to be as honest as I can and, unfortunately, that honesty can be used how anybody wants to use it.'

A mix of Christianity and Judaism

Jake's bar mitzvah was held at a homeless shelter, which, Applebaum suggests, could be too much for a child and jokes that Jews are made to feel guilty enough already. 'I guess so. But no, I have a lot of other things. But yeah, you’re right. Well, because my father was Christian too, you know, I think my parents were always a little unclear in terms of how they wanted to raise us. But actually they were very clear about it. I think they wanted to share everything and all those ideas with us, so when it came around to having a bah mitzvah and doing that, I think they split the opportunity and basically realised that in order to do that, ‘Well, let’s go feed the homeless [laughs]’. Like that would be the most logical religious response to both Christianity and Judaism, so that was it [laughs].'


Why Jake took to the boards in London

'Again, it was like I read the script and it’s an amazing play. It’s a masterpiece. And a masterpiece for someone at the age that I was at doesn’t ever come along. What was interesting is that I don’t think at the time I was like, ‘Oh, it’s in London’, and I never realised what that pressure was, and I think that naivety was a good thing, you know? That play in particular has totally changed my life. John Madden [who directed him and Gwyneth Paltrow in Proof] came to see me in that play, Sam came to see me in that play, consequently four or five other directors that I hopefully will work with in the future saw me in that play, and those opportunities have brought me all the movie opportunities I have gotten. As a movie actor, your representation always says, ‘Don’t do that. Don’t do a play because you could do this or that and make money, and blah, blah, blah.’ But so many more opportunities have come from it. And, I was just saying as I was coming over here, at the time, which is probably a good thing, I don’t think I realised how special of an experience that really was. In fact I remember our stage manager turned to me and Hayden [Christiansen] and Anna [Paquin], like four or five days into the run, and said, ‘Cherish this time because you’ll never have an opportunity or have an experience like this again because it’s really an extraordinary feeling to be such a success that way your first time.’ I remember registering that and being like, ‘OK, time to have fun.’ It was amazing. The next thing I’m going to do will be on stage, without a doubt.'


On the rewards of working on the stage as opposed to in front of the camera: 'I just think I’m fed by it. I’m sucked dry by film and I think I’m fed by theatre. There’s a start and stop to film where you give and you give and you give, and you don’t have that give and take like you do in the theatre, and I think it’s just necessary. I get rid of bad habits, but it just fills me. Right now I have a responsibility to the next film director I work with to get filled up again before I go out on the race track again.' Which director? David Fincher, your director on Zodiac? 'No, I’m working with him now. He’s sapping it right now [laughs]. He does a lot of takes.'


David Fincher - 'I have a real, real growing fondess for David'

'I thought he was a real technician and visualist and that seemed to be the most important thing to him. But as we’ve worked together I feel like he really does like actors, and he knows what’s really good in acting, too. I have a real, real growing fondness for David and his relationship to actors. To work with, though, we do on average 30 takes, and we do have up to 80. But I also think that’s great, too. Every director seems to have a different, especially when they’re really great, a real personality and style of making their film. And they’ve all been so different and so wonderful in all these different ways. I just hope that I’ve taken in as much as I can from them because who knows when the opportunity will come again to work with people like that. I don’t know, it’s kind of amazing.'



On being alone - 'It was nowhere near anywhere I had ever been or knew at all'

'To me I think the most interesting things happen when you sit with yourself and when you’re alone. Like if you really let yourself be that way. When we were in Calvary [on Brokeback Mountain], I was alone for a very long time; I mean not even with Heath. We would get off work and we would be literally in the middle of nowhere, living in trailers, on our own. Sometimes we would get together and all have dinner together, sometimes we’d all be alone. Something about the topography of the spaces I was in, just sometimes even the geography, that it was nowhere near anywhere I had ever been or knew at all, I needed to explore. I needed to explore that territory. You grow up in a city and there’s everything around you all the time, and I don’t think you realise how lonely you are until you get out of there. You know, what I think about Brokeback Mountain is that the reason why these two men fall in love is out of loneliness. Like there’s just nothing more in their lives when they meet and it’s the best thing that happens to them when they meet there. And the same thing, I think, in a weird way, Tony Swofford has to go to that place of almost utter, desperate, horrible loneliness in order to become, in a way, the writer that he became. I don’t know, I just feel like you got to go to those places and somehow, unconsciously, I was there all of a sudden. I don’t know really why I picked those films.'


On growing up as a result of these films

'“Uh, I think it’s just like I’ve grown up [laughs]. I don’t know if it’s a greater sense of self or just feeling a little closer to being able to be an adult, and that is pretty hard in the movie business, you know what I mean? [Laughs] But I feel that way. And working with these people, what I’ve gotten from them as human beings, like yes, Sam Mendes is a brilliant director, and yes, Ang Lee is a brilliant director, and yes, David Fincher is a brilliant director, and yes, Peter Sarsgaard is an amazing actor, and Heath Ledger gives an incredible performance in the film, all those things, but just the interactions that I have with them as human beings, I’ll never forget. I talked to Ang last night and yeah, he was my director and all those things, but he’s a wonderful person. Sam and I spent a ton of time together as friends and that matters to me the most and it’s because we’ve all been through these experiences. I was in my trailer while Ang Lee was doing Tai Chi outside of his every morning, for months, so we shared something special. And that’s the most important thing to me now.'


You can read the rest of this wonderful interview here.
Includes pictures from IHJ

36 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, what a great post WDW. I'm always amazed by Jake's depth of feeling and thought in his comments. I was given a one-two by his performance in Brokeback too. Looking forward very much to Brothers and hearing about its filming.

Have a great Sunday, all! :)

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Marina Good to see you! I was blown away by this interview, I find it incredible how much thought Jake pays to so much of his life rather than just breeze through it, like so many of us do. I can't wait to hear about Brothers too. Hope you're having a good Sunday too :D

sass said...

WOW WDW!
Is it appropriate to say I want to kiss you for sharing this interview? Of course it is.:)

Jake seems so much more mature than a lot of 22-24 year old men I've known. He's such a deep thinker and so zany...a real joy to read about.

I must to read this again and save it to disc and del.icio.us ASAP:)

I hope you're enjoying your Sunday too.

Does anyone have laptop preferences? I want to lie in bed sometimes and Jake with everyone in 2008:)
xoxoxo
sass

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Wow Sass - thanks so much for that comment and I would never say no to a kiss *) This interview has left me feeling very emotional to be honest. Sometimes you think you need never read anything else to love Jake more and then you see something like this. Like you, I've saved it and I'll be rereading it and rereading it.

Btw, I always do my Jaking on my laptop. It's something you should do with your feet up and a glass in your hand :)

sass said...

Jake makes me feel happy and also teary.
see below statements.
TY Kate:)


I have been through a lot even just recently. In the past couple of days, it’s been very interesting to hear what people have to say about how I was brought up, because my experience of it was very different.'


It’s amazing how people are responding to different things and what bothers people and what doesn’t. Unfortunately, it seems, I’m always trying to be as honest as I can and, unfortunately, that honesty can be used how anybody wants to use it.'

Wet Dark and Wild said...

There's a lot in this Sass that I've reacted to quite personally. I wish I had been this mature at such a young age, but I wasn't. And I wish that I'd been aware of how I could be misunderstood, but I didn't realise that either.

twistedlogic said...

What a wonderful interview! Thank you, WDW:) So much to take in, definitely one that needs re-reading again. I have to go and watch some BBM first though.whenever Jake talks BBM I always get an urge to watch it again. Well ok, that happens with most of his films(like last night with Jarhead) but BBM is special:)

chillinwitgyllen said...

WDW, that first picture on the post is to die for, I've never seen it before...amazing!!!

I'm into the bloody Bloodies because of you of course, it's all your fault!! When every one's tucked in later I'll have to turn on Jake, whatever fits the moment.

One quick observation, the person who wrote the review of the Zodiac uncut version said that black screen moment was a minute long, I can tell you it was longer than that, I sat there waiting, wondering if the reel was broke because it lasted so long, something like 2-3 minutes.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hy TL - I think I'll be joining you in a bit of BBM tonight :)

Hi CWG - I noticed that your description sounded different. Three minutes is a long time to sit tight!

That's a beautiful picture, isn't it? :)

Anonymous said...

WDW, once again thanks so very much for bringing Jake's comments from this interview to light.

I really feel the need to comment here on how much I believe Jake seems to be in some kind of purgatory at the present time. I've been watching, and in particular reading online, trying to make sense of all the cyclonic banter and spin, it's really hard to know where to turn and what to believe anymore.

Last week I sat down and watched Brokeback Mountain from start to finish. With thoughts of that performance in mind and Jake's own comments I seem to have reached a sense of calm, at least for now.

I still belive that there is a kind and thoughtful soul in this young man and THAT is what I shall cleave to presently. Whatever decisions he has made or things he must deal with, I just hope and pray that it will all work out well for him.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Seaweed - Good to see you again :D I'm glad you're feeling a sense of calm - I feel that too, tonight. I feel differently from you regarding some of the other things and I don't see Jake in a purgatory, thank heavens (I don't tend to read around as I don't have the time, which I think I'm grateful for!), but I am so pleased you feel able to share your feelings here. I do share your hopes and wishes for Jake's future, as I believe we all do here :) I'm watching BBM right now - the perfect end to the weekend! Thanks for commenting :)

Anonymous said...

settling down on a Sun night with a very wee dram, and will respond to you, Seaweed: tell you what, all the "banter and spin", as you put it, was making me physically sick - and so Ive quit all the Jake convos except this one. Im sure Jake is fine.

well, I do check out IHJ for new pictures, but WDW seems to get 'em before the girls, mostly.

it's been really helpful to keep away from the fan frenzy!

just sayin'

Anonymous said...

p.s. thanks for this interview, WDW. I feel we've been really gifted by Jake's willingness to talk about himself, and his "process" - have a feeling this willingness to gab will not last forever. but it's great fun to watch him develop, and grow. I suspect he's lerned not to be "sucked dry" by film. It amuses me that directors comment on how when not "on" he acts up. this is so evident in the Donnie Darko prodution notes which I watched again a couple of nights ago. he blows off energy, and then, as the directors say, becomes totally professional and focused.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Positively Pia - that sounds like a good Sunday evening. I'm watching Brokeback and those dastardly sheep have just got muddled up :D I steer well clear of the frenzy too and I feel much better for it. I know what I want to focus on, and it's Jake's words in interviews like this one and films such as the one I'm watching. I think Jake's fine too :D

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Pia - thanks for coming back. That's interesting (ooh Ennis just gave Jack that nasty smack :() Jake seemed extremely keen to talk through the processes, and the honesty about every move he made, it warms the heart. I agree that I doubt he'll talk like this forever, if ever again, but we are very lucky to have this insight.

Jake's relationship with his directors and their relationship with him has always fascinated me - how that relationship can affect the film. Jake sucks it up and takes what these directors can offer him while offering up whatever he can give from the head and heart - what a gift for an actor and for the director. The behind the scenes glimpses from Donnie Darko and Jarhead are fascinating. I hope we get some of that from the Rendition DVD and on the new Zodiac DVD.

sass said...

Jake is indeed one of the premiere talents of his generation and I'm glad I discovered him so many years ago.
I had to read this interview again. It warms my heart and mind as well as my body after getting blown around a bit getting off the bus:)
Jake once mentioned in an interview that he felt as if he hadn't paid enough dues, for his good fortune in life. Later he said that he was done with worrying about paying dues, and was going to enjoy his life fully.

What With the latest cyber fan uproar over his personal life...an uproar that has made me partially leave my favorite forum, out of respect for him and to keep my sanity...I know he has paid in full on that bill.

Calm rationality prevails on your blog, along with respect for your visitors, and admiration for Jake and his talent. It's a pleasure to visit and post here.
Bon soir

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Thanks Sass - I appreciate that very much. I hope everyone feels that they can visit and post here, should they wish. I also hope Jake feels he has no dues left to pay for his extraordinary talent and fortune. I've had a wonderful night with this interview, people here and Brokeback. Sigh. First time I've watched it all the way through for a time.

chillinwitgyllen said...

Hey WDW, great comments here. I love what you said about Jake and his relationships with directors. I think that's key in what makes a movie work. Not that you have to kiss ass necessarily, but that you need to better understand where the director is coming from, respect their vision. The directors have an idea of what the movie is supposed to be so you have to first understand the director before you can begin creating, and I think that goes both ways. When you have both directors and actors respecting each other that's what makes a movie work. That, I think, is the key to a success outcome regardless of anything..

Anonymous said...

I love this interview too; this is a special one. It makes me a bit emotional as well, WDW. I wish I had half his maturity, common sense and patience when I was his age. He doesn't really owe anyone anything. :)

I haven't watched Brokeback in awhile, I may treat myself to that. It's a sublime film. I love reading about that table he made; he's obviously a creative person in many ways.

I sometimes have to step back a bit from the fandom when it gets to be too much too, but always, I come back because I admire Jake so much, and he always has an interesting film to discuss, which I love to do with like-minded people.

Good night! :*

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Morning everyone :) Thanks for the very personal responses to this great interview. I thoroughly enjoyed watching Brokeback late last night as a result. Have a great day :)

Anonymous said...

This was a really great article, WDW! Thank you.

After reading something like this, I always wish Jake would go on Inside the Actors' Studio with James Lipton. It airs on Bravo.Don't know if Lipton does as many of them as he used to, but some of them were excellent. Russell Crowe, Johnny Depp, Robert De Niro, Meryl Streep and Christopher Walken were among my most favorites.I think both Heath and Jake need to do it.
You are so brave to watch BBM all the way through. Just cannot get beyond, "...sending up a prayer of thanks..." scene. Just cannot do it. I've tried.

agent_krycek said...

Oh bobbyanna I know what you mean, I could do it a few times, but once the heartbreaking 'it could be like this, just like this, always' is spoken (beautifully, with a wonderful hopefullness, but foreshadowing of tragedy, by Jake) I've lately not managed to get any further. In my brain I've now decided Ennis says, 'Yup, lets go for it' and a happy ending ensues (to quote Jake, it's better that way' :) ).

Thank you for yet another wonderful post WDW.

Iggy said...

Oh WOW! What an interview!! I most certaily have not read that before. Thank you!!!!!!!

And BBM...I have to say I can't really watch it...I just start crying the moment the truck appears on the screen....I want to watch it...but..Jack breaks my heart. And Ennis. The whole thing...

twistedlogic said...

I tried to watch BBM all the way through last night, but I only got as far as Ennis breaking down in the alleyway:( I really wanted to watch all of it and I thought I was in the right frame of mind last night, but when it came down to it, I just couldn't... So I just did what I usually do and watched the reunion and SNIT scenes over and over:)

Anonymous said...

interesting typo in the interview, by the by; Calvary for Calgary.

I would have lov'd to hear the Bar Mitzvah boy read Torah in the homeless shelter! Was J able to remain without giggle? J without his giggle is like a ship without a sail, etcetcetc.

Y'know, Brothers is a very strong story. Just sayin'

A rainy Monday.

sass said...

Hi Pia, WDW and everyone,
Rainy day Monday here...I don't want to leave home:)

I had forgotten that Jake would have to read Torah.That had to have been interesting in the shelter. TY
xoxoxo
sass

chillinwitgyllen said...

I have read several times now that Jake talks about a touch childhood, I think this accounts for his humor today.

I remember reading long ago that he had some major childhood health related problems. He's grown up so much in the last few years and looks and healthy and strong but those things live with you forever and makes you who you are today.

I also get the impression that his parents sheltered him a little bit because I think they know how crazy a celebrity life is. I remember reading that somewhere.

Rainy day too but warm here. A great day to snuggle in and watch JG movies for sure.

Anonymous said...

Hi Sass! Just put some wooly seaters in the dryer instead of taking them to cleaners - they came out nice and warm and soft and fuzzy.

Anonymous said...

typo alert. sweaters. warm wooly sweaters.

hi CWG to another rainy day woman

yeah snuggle in.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi everyone - phew made it home in one piece - it's not nice out there :( Would have definitely preferred to have spent the with you all and a full set of JG DVDs.

Some really interesting comments - So many of us set out with good intentions to watch all of BBM but just can't make it to the end. I try and make it to the dozey embrace but it's not easy. It's extremely rare that I watch the end.

Marina, Bobbyanna, Agent K, Rosie and TL - thanks for sharing your emotion with the interview and with BBM. I really felt like that too. This interview knocked me for six and then the film wasn't a big help!

Hey Positively Pia and Sass - I noticed that too - seems worth leaving! I know very little about bar mitzvahs, so how much Torah to they have to read? I wonder what on earth the people in the Shelter thought of it all... :\

Hi CWG - I heard about that too, but Jake really doesn't talk about it. But also, like most very intelligent and performing youngsters, especially one with a very similar sibling, it can be so hard to get the attention and push that you want.

Hey Pia - I could really do with some 'nice and warm and soft and fuzzy' myself after that mad drive. Merlot will have to do followed by some Jakin!

Dark, cold and yuck here. So what's in doing in Santa Fe??

And if anyone gives away any plot from Brothers without HUGE spoiler signs, they have to buy me a pint!

chillinwitgyllen said...

Hi WDW, glad you made it home in one piece :)

Pia, right back at ya :)

No news from the JG home front, been looking' all around.

Anonymous said...

woof woof woof (wags tail)

nice ta have ya home, WDW! it won't be me gives away any of plot of the danish brothers, I hear ya, but I bet Sheridan has made it his own, anyway.

by the way, for those of you who sometimes find BBMt too tragical endure, watch Ang Lee's Wedding Banguet. it's gorgeous.

doesnt anyone wanna watch City Slickers? Jake plus New Mexico scenery. :) :)

Anonymous said...

I'll tuck this in while its still on topic for anyone who's interestd in figuring out how a progressive LA mixed-marriage family might have observed this rite of passage.

Traditions

1 Know that during a bar mitzvah, a young man is called to the Torah to read the weekly passage and lead the congregation in prayer. This is his rite of passage from child to adult, as well as the culmination of a year of studying and preparation.

2 Give your son a tallit (prayer shawl) that will be his to wear in prayer for the rest of his life. Typically, this ritual takes place during the service, just before the boy is called to read from the Torah. It's presented by the boy's parents and is accompanied by a short prayer of blessing.

3 Consider holding the bar mitzvah party in your synagogue's social hall instead of an outside venue.

4 Incorporate Jewish prayers into the party to recognize and honor Jewish commandments. The hamotzi (blessing over bread) and kiddush (blessing over wine) provide commonly used starting points.

5 Have a candle-lighting ceremony to honor special people in the bar mitzvah boy's life. Read a small passage about each honored guest, calling them up to light candles and offer blessings to the bar mitzvah boy. Traditionally, 13 candles are lit, for each year of life.

6 Include Jewish dances like the hora and a chair dance. Ask the DJ or band to play some Jewish songs.

7 Incorporate Jewish traditions by having a Jewish theme for the bar mitzvah party. Let the bar mitzvah boy pick an aspect of the religion he likes and decorate the party around that theme.

8 Think about hiring a klezmer band to play Yiddish and Hebrew music for the party.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hey Pia - thanks so much for that - I have no knowledge of this sort of thing at all (even though I lived on a kibbutz and moshav in Israel!) Possibly, the difficulty there was that everyone only talked Russion. Fascinating. One of my most amazing memories is participating in Palm Sunday through the streets of Old Jerusalem.

I still can't see how all this would play out in a Shelter!

Hi CWG - thanks for the welcome home! What a long day...

Anonymous said...

Thanks to WDW, Pia and Sass for your comments earlier... I think I've found a new antidote to reading around so much and will do as you've done, get clear of the Fan Frenzy and stick to the admiration for Jake and his talent so nicely evidenced here at WDW.

As always WDW, I really enjoy your selection of images and love your commentary and that of the other posters.

Cheers eveyone.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Seaweed - thanks so much for that wonderful comment - it means a great deal to me that you think that *)