Saturday 24 November 2007

Rendition DVD US release date and extras. And Jake talks about that Santa hat

The great news today is that Rendition now has a US release date, 19 February, just 6 days earlier than the UK release. We also have some details of extras which may, or may not, be different from those of the R2 edition. According to the site dvdactive 'This Gavin Hood directed thriller will be available to own from the 19th February, and should retail at around $28.98. The film itself will be presented in anamorphic widescreen, along with an English Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround track. Extra features will include an audio commentary (participants to be confirmed), a documentary, a making of featurette, and deleted and alternate scenes.'



My initial reaction is a big sigh of relief. This sounds like it will not be the bare bones release to which, after Brokeback Mountain and the initial release of Zodiac, we've had to become accustomed. I know I'm not alone in hoping and wishing that Jake Gyllenhaal is among the 'participants to be confirmed' and that he features heavily in the 'deleted and alternate scenes'. However, it is possible, of course, that Jake will feature in none of them.

Great thanks to an anonymous reader for the link. And to get us in the mood, I Heart Jake has posted these new publicity photos from Rendition.



Peter's experiences of living with Jake and Jake and That Hat

Brothers is not the only film that will have taken Jake to New Mexico. Jarhead was also filmed in part there, in Alamogordo to be precise. So this has had me thinking about Jake's experiences in filming this remarkable film, which took him and the other actors way beyond their comfort zone into unfamiliar and exhausting territory. Squabbles on the set are legendary, even descending into near or actual violence. An insight into what it was like from Jake's roomie Peter Sarsgaard who, having to share a room with him week in week out, was driven to wanting to block Jake right out of his head!



Peter told the New York Times Magazine (reported here by CNN) that, on having to spend time with Jake, '"I figured if I couldn't be around my girlfriend, I would settle for her brother."... Sarsgaard and Jake Gyllenhaal lived together for about five months during filming, mostly in a hotel in Mexico. "The idea was to simulate the military experience: what happens if you're forced to be with someone every minute of the day and night... And we fought. We'd have a fight and then we'd still have to be together. For a while, I would just wear headphones. All the time. That lasted for 10 days."'



This video, from a Variety Screening, features a question and answer session with Sam Mendes, Jake and Peter. Jake reveals that he didn't meet the original Tony Swofford at all during filming, and only met him a month before this interview at a photoshoot for Entertainment Weekly. They both then saw the film together in that very theatre and 'both sweated it out.' The gem of this video for me, though, is that we get to see Jake doing his marine impression, mimicking the marine consultants onset who would always criticise the way the actors looked or behaved (they thought the actors a 'sloppy mess' according to Jake), even in the infamous Santa hat scene. 'You would never wear your Santa hat like that. We'd never do it like that - we would wear it on the side! With a different tie, not a bow tie!' Actually, I don't think I have any complaints - it looked just fine to me.


The picture above is dedicated to the good friend who just loves this scene. Includes pictures from IHJ.

28 comments:

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi everyone - typically, I think the Variety site has just gone down. So if you're having trouble accessing the video, that's the reason. I'll keep checking :\

chillinwitgyllen said...

I love this new post, thank you WDW. So funny, Pia and WDW and I all have the same taste, no wonder Jake is so yummy to us all. Except just to be exact my husband has green eyes.

I remember reading somewhere that when Peter and Jake were driving to the set of Jarhead Jake would play 500 cent's Candy Shop song relentlessly and Peter would tell him to shut it off. So funny, they remind me of a married couple sometimes.

BTW, I spelled Jarhead wrong and when I spell checked that word was listed to be corrected :D

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the updates!

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi CWG Thanks! Jake is clearly made for us all :) I remember that story and I can't say I blame Jake as I love 50 Cent and love to play him when I'm driving. But yes, they remind me of an old married couple too, and they're still close so I think they'll make it!

Thanks very much Anon - love to have a name for you :)

Anonymous said...

My kingdom for that Santa hat.

Better yet, my kingdom to BE that Santa hat...*drool*.

Definitely my favorite part of Jarhead.

Anonymous said...

The Variety video played beautifully and clear: very nice! yes, relaxed Jake and Peter - I imagine Jake Tobey and Natalie will enjoy working together, and Shepherd, with such fine actors. such goodies coming down the line!

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Fourplay - no disagreement there ;)

Hey Positively Pia - I'm so glad and relieved that the video's playing all right now. I love it! As you say, Jake and Peter (and Sam) are very relaxed together and Jake is so entertaining - he just knows what to do. Brothers should give Jake more of the same, I really hope it's a good experience for him. I wouldn't be surprised if he's a bit nervous about it this weekend.

sass said...

Hi again WDW:)

TY you for this good news. I'm happy to come home and find a due date for Rendition USA, with extras.

*sass does her happy dance*

I'll come back later and catch up with your Jarhead news.

Jake's movies must cause a noticeable spike in viewer stats, because once a month, either Jarhead or BBM, is televised on HBO, Cinemax or Showtime.
good news all round:)

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Evening Sass - this is great news. All this talk of Jarhead I reckon I might watch some of that before bed :)

twistedlogic said...

Thank you WDW! So excited about the Rendition extras!! And thank you so much for the new pics, especially the one of Douglas in the bar - your timing is excellent as was thinking of changing my wallpaper;)

And I always love anything Jarhead related, but this video is wonderful! Jake's impression of the military adviser had me in stitches:D Someone PLEASE give this man a comedy!!!
And is it just me, or does Peter Sarsgaard just have the loveliest voice?

WDW, I think I might join you in watching some Jarhead. But which scenes shoud I watch...decisions, decisions;)

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi TL! Glad you like the Jarhead vidoe. Jake is hysterical - not quite sure what accent he's doing but it does the trick :D But yes Peter has one of the most beautiful speaking voices I've ever heard.

The pic of Douglas in the bar is my favourite too - wonder why? Off to find a tipple to enjoy with key scenes of Jarhead :D

twistedlogic said...

I see we're agreeing with each other yet again, WDW;)
Jake's accent definitely does the trick, but it makes me long even more to hear him speaking another language like Italian, or French or Spanish. He obviously has a gift for accents. it was something I noticed way back in the early days of my Gyllenhaalism,the first time I heard him speak as Jake, I was struck by how different he sounded to Jack Twist.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

I know TL - sometimes I can hardly see or hear Jake in Jack at all - just shows how incredible he is in that.

I've made Drinking Douglas my new desktop too :) See you tomorrow!

chillinwitgyllen said...

TL, PS does have the loveliest voice, I thought that when I watch Man with the Iron Mask. He was so young in that movie.

I just watched little bits of BBM again.

**drool**

WDW ever wonder if one of these Anon's is Jake himself checking in on what we're saying :)

If so, 'hi Jake, we love you, can't wait for your next project'

twistedlogic said...

Actually, now you mention it, I don't think of Jake whichever character of his I'm watching. Of course sometimes there are little things that remind me of Jake, or other characters he's played, but that's more down to me being so familiar with Jake and some of his characters now, rather than anything to do with Jake's performances.In all his films he always just becomes the character.He's so talented...*sigh*

Lol at Drinking Douglas!! I love it! Night, WDW xx

And hi CWG! It's a well known fact that Jake checks out this site for advice - even if he doesn't always follow it;)

Anonymous said...

Sometimes I do.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hey CWG - I didn't realise Peter was in that! I must watch that again...

I often don't see Jake in the roles either TL - just little glimpses now and again. The exception is Proof which I watch solely because it's Jake I see.

Hey J - Glad you could drop by *) Please could you take note of TL's towel and shaving request for Brothers? Could you also ask for a farming scene in it? And, sorry to be demanding, but could you not wear a grandpa cardigan this winter? - a hoodie is fine, or the big blue jumper with the toggles :D

twistedlogic said...

WDW, I know what you mean about Proof- no offense, J;)
And yes, we do notice when you follow our advice and we appreciate it and love you for it:) Hope you're taking note of WDW's requests above;)

Anonymous said...

Sorry Katie, I thought you liked the cardies. :( I really had no choice the last time in NY it was either the bluegrey thin cashmere or Atti's dog sweater so I chose the lesser of two evils. Guess I'll never live that one down. The Bros shave scene is supposed to be barebutt, BUTT lol I suppose I can put a towel on for you andTL instead. Nope, no farming in Bros butt I don't think you'll be disappointed..

twistedlogic said...

Lol!! J,you're such a tease;D Anyway, towel or no towel, we'll leave you to decide - I trust your judgement:)

chillinwitgyllen said...

OK J your such a tease as I've always suspected, bare butt for me is just fine and some frontal would be good too. We can come make you warm if you want just let us know if you need a little help.

agent_krycek said...

Thanks for that J, although disappointed at the lack of farming and opportunities for half naked a sweaty, a bare butt shaving scene would make up for it ;)

Iggy said...

Yay! A bare but scene in Brothers would certainly get my vote....

I have to agree with TL too, Jake is such a fine actor that he disappears into the character whenever I see him acting...although the thing the characters ALL have in common with Jake is being soooooo beautiful.....and his voice...oh his voice....sigh...I have 'The Man Who Walked Between The Towers' and I could listen to it ALL DAY LONG...
I have to admit loving his voice as Jack Twist best though..second only to his real voice.

And thank you for the info on the USA Rendition release..I really hope Jake does the commentary, and is included in lots of deleted scenes.

Finally Thank You! for the video..it's one I hadn't seen before. I've seen pictures from it, but hadn't watched the vid itself, so that was a lovely treat!

Rosie

Ruby said...

Farming naked (or even half-naked) is dangerous! Safety first, people. A tight t-shirt would be less risky. However, shaving naked is perfectly ok and totally cinematically appropriate. :D I think it is important for our understanding of his character that he does that every morning.

Great post WDW. I have an urge to watch Jarhead again - maybe today! Excellent choice of pictures too, thanks. :*

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Morning everyone - I think everybody and his cat is up before me this morning; all because of Jarhead!

Thanks J for elaborating - I hope we can settle on the towel being an optional, but certainly not necessary, extra. I was counting on a bit of sweaty farming but good to know there'll be stuff to make up for that ;)

Morning Agent K!

Hi Rosie - that is so true and shouldn't be forgotten - all of Jake's characters are beautiful. I love listening to Jake too. I was playing that Heart interview again yesterday and the Jarhead audio interview. Sometimes I put on The Man Between the Towers to nod off toowhen I'm stressed as Jake's voice is perfectly soothing.

Hey Ruby Glad you liked the pics *) Very sensible advice for Jake there. A tight t-shirt would be better for certain situations whereas the regular and repeated shaving scene is just crucial for plot and character development - I'm surprised directors haven't picked up on that.

Enjoy Jarhead. I'm delicate today so I need a less robust choice. It's been a while since I watched BBM all the way through.

chillinwitgyllen said...

Morning WDW, BBM would be my pick too on a delicate day. Hey what a great thought if we were all to get together and watch Jake's movies all day long...a Jakeathon :D Talk about great Jake energy, we could invite him to come along and see what his REAL fans are like.

Ruby, that was funny 'safety first'

chillinwitgyllen said...

Jake-a-thon

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Morning CWG - that sounds like an excellent idea. Jake could make us a buffet ;)