Monday 31 December 2007

February 11 2007 - The BAFTAs strike gold with Jake Gyllenhaal

Happy New Year's Eve to everyone! As we count down the last hours of the year, and because it's my birthday to boot, today's special post is about my own personal favourite Jake moment of the year, which set the stage for the rest of 2007. This can only be Sunday February 11, a very cold frosty day in Covent Garden, when London gave Jake a greeting to remember at the BAFTAs.



A very early start indeed was in order, to get hold of the blue wrist band, which we wore like they were more precious than gold, and allowed us to get through the police barricade to the front of the red carpet outside the Royal Opera House. The wait was fun though, forging lasting friendships with Ruby, Anouska and Mouk while watching Jake videos on my MP4 player and chatting with some of the other fans in the line - many of whom were there for Daniel Craig.



It's worth pointing out that we had little idea Jake was actually going, just a mention on Radio 1 the day before which said he may be. But as we lined up for the wrist bands, along with professional autograph hunters, we could hear them discussing the stars expected. We heard Jake's name. A guy said that Jake had not been seen at the party the night before and no one knew where he was staying - the heart dropped. But he then said that Jake was the nicest celebrity he'd ever got an autograph off - smiles all round.


Finally, as it started to get dark, we were moved from the main line and allowed through the barricade and along the side of the red carpet. We got as close to the front as we could, behind some young fans of Mylene Klass. We came to a deal. We'd yell to attract Mylene's attention but if and when Jake showed up, we would all yell for him. The young fans said no problem because Jake's not coming - Oh, I thought. We were given a radio headset through which we could listen to the commentary of a presenter in a balcony above us. Across the street we had the E and Sky set up, which was hosted by the lovely Captain Jack (Torchwood), John Barrowman - he made a worthwhile distraction.



The stars came and went - Toni Collette (whom I swear turns up everywhere), Ian McKellen, Judi Dench, James McAvoy, Emily Blunt, Richard Griffiths, Richard Wilson, Eva Green, Helen Mirren and other people (including Mylene Klass) I was too distracted to remember. I was giving up, as Mouk would confirm, but then I heard the announcement through the headset: 'And now getting out of the car is.... Jake Gyllenhaal' and time froze and then the world went mad.



I pushed forward off the curb of the pavement, reasoning that it was a professional autograph hunter I was shoving out of the way and so he deserved it. I looked left and got my first glance of Jake, signing autographs on our side of the red carpet. And he stuck to that side, getting nearer and nearer until he was in front of me. I said his name to him and handed my GQ to him and while he held one side, and I held the other, Jake signed it and I got a good look at the most beautiful human being I've ever seen - and he shone (I realise now that this could have been something to do with the tan - real or otherwise - for Rendition) but I still say he shone more than any other star walking down the carpet that day.


We were all in shock (Anouska had stroked Jake's sleeve and it made her giddy) as this kind of experience was new to us, and someone - Anouska? - suggested we should follow Jake down the line. And we did and we had the time of our lives and were... exuberant so I might leave that to your imagination. Suffice to say, I did get told to get down off some camera scaffolding and at one point I yelled at Helen Mirren (who had just kissed Jake) to get out of the way. We also saw Jake give Ian McKellen a big hug and not for the cameras either. Ruby also yelled something out which made quite a few people burst out laughing but that's for her to say - I do wonder if Jake heard, maybe not.


Finally, Jake went into the Opera House and, having achieved more than we could ever have hoped, we left to find a pub in which to toast Jake, walking past Daniel Craig with barely a glance. Tight friendshps were forged that day and evening and it's very possible that that is the greatest prize of all from 11 February. It also means something to me that my autograph from TIFF was on a magazine cover which showed a picture of Jake on that BAFTA night. Incidentally, Jake was the only star I saw who walked down the carpet with his own pen ready to go.


Not surprisingly, the BAFTAs was also Ruby's top moment of the year, as she describes here: 'There are so many great Jake moments in interviews and DVD extras etc. that it would be hard to choose. I love the Jarhead doc when he is getting his head shaved, and the ‘Jack Nasty Loves you” moment of Oprah; and his birthday phone call to Ellen, and the ‘a-maaaz-ing’ modern dance movements on Conan… I could go on!'


'My favourite personal moment though has to be Bafta, where I met WDW, Anouska and another friend for the first time having been chatting to them on-line at DCF for a while. It was insane, getting up in the middle of the night to go stand around in the cold all day with virtual strangers, at an event I would normally never consider going anywhere near, and all to see some Hollywood actor - and at my age too!!. Was it worth it? Hell, yeah. I made some very good friends. Oh, and I saw Jake too. He passed by us way too quickly, signing autographs all the way, and someone (Anouska?) had the bright idea of following him down the carpet to where they do the interviewing. This of course meant we were way back in the crowd and could barely see him let alone get his attention. Not for lack of trying on either count though.'


'Any rumours that in desperation to get his attention, I may have yelled out something inspired by the Oprah moment above; to the amusement of the crowd; may or may not be totally unfounded.' [Not - WDW]



We quite often retrace our steps and this weekend we were able to walk them with our friend and fellow Brokie Tammy, visiting from Sweden. The Opera House looked beautiful.


Later, back at home, I settled down to watch the BAFTAs on TV - it was showed on a delay - and Jake was wonderful:



Includes pictures from WDW (the shaky ones), Ruby and IHJ.

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO JAKE AND TO EACH AND EVERY ONE OF YOU! I wish all of us a year filled with Jake adventures, great movies and good company. Thank you for your support of WDW over the last nine months and for your generous friendship. Cheers and here's to 2008!!

38 comments:

Anonymous said...

WDW, tell me - please tell me - those vids will *always be there*. Especially the top one. Then I can replay it whenever, and feel happy/sad.

What beautiful memories of a beautiful day, and a golden Jake. (It wasn't really freezing, it's just we were standing round for so many hours! ;D)

He wasn't too happy in the second one, was he? Tired, the poor lad.

*sigh*

Where was I?

Oh, the sleeve, yeah, it felt like cashmere and goat's blood fabric of some kind. Very, very soft. Wish I'd gone for the flesh, but I'm too well brought up ;)

Craziest thing I did in 2007 or any other year. Thank you dear friends WDW (Kate), Ruby, mouk for being there, and a happy new year everyone. *

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hey Anouska - I have those videos all safe, don't you worry. I treasure them all.

It didn't half feel cold to me, and I was in bed for a week with flu straight after! But Jake just shone, didn't he?

It was crazy but it was so worth it, and if I hadn't have been there then Mouk and I would not have flown to Cannes. And I would never have met you three :D Hard to believe we saw that pub again (from the video) just on Saturday. And on the video Jake's there and so are we!

Happy New Year *

Anonymous said...

I missed the real top video of the guy shouting Jake, so add 1 to my previous references :)

Anonymous said...

You guys who were there were really annointed. & yourselves touched gold! Pretty effing exciting for everybody. One vid I play again and again is the jellyfish ruse with Sir Ian and Ruby. And Helen M is so funny. Wonderful party atmosphere. Yay Brits!

O god Im still sorting out the Chinese food for the freezer, those guys dont speak English too well and got the impression Im having a big party and sent me a whole bunch of stuff. Just because a the umbrellas, I think.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hey Pia - it truly was golden. Just amazing! Glad to hear you're not going to go hungry. I've eaten so many chocolates - had a Margarita, had a Cosmo and now ready to try a blue drink!

Anouska - I just added another video at the end :D

Anonymous said...

Is it just you and Jonathan then, Pia? :D Have a lovely new year!

Ruby (Wax) really does need a new researcher next time, though - I nominate WDW, with Ruby and me as her lackeys and essential hangers-on.

New vid? Nite again *

Anonymous said...

WDW, Ken Russell is known for Celebrity Big Brother?! That last vid was made by an eight year old ;)

The second one cracks me up; the person who yells "move!" is too funny :)

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hey Anouska - I've been trying to spot us on these videos - especially the last one, when McAvoy and Sienna Miller went by. But I just can't! I'm sure I can hear us on one of them though.

Yes, I think Ruby needs to do more research. I saw her in a restaurant not long afterwards and I almost had to be held back!

Ruby said...

let's be clear which ruby we are talking about. I am not ruby wax.

Ah.... Memories... Blah blah watercoloured memories .... Der dah derder memories...

Sorry, singing again

Xxxxx

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hey Ruby Ruby Rubeee - you're right, you're not Ruby Wax, she is a pale imitation ;)

Singing again - are you partying? I'm watching Captain Jack on a quiz - everything is reminding me of the Baftas!

Time for another glass of wine :D

Ruby said...

I *heart* Captain Jack. As you well know. I may be partying just a little bit. :D. Hope you've had a good birthday old girl! xxx

Wet Dark and Wild said...

It's been pretty good Ruby but I nearly choked on a marzipan chocolate :( And who are you callin 'old girl' eh, I have yet to decide how old I am this birthday. Watching some Monty Python now...

Anonymous said...

Thanks, BAFTArinas, for sharing all the excitement once again. Happy Birthday, Kate, and Happy New Year all -- I still have over 8 hours to go until midnight, but what the heck! The fabulous 2007 game is up!

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Thank you Beckela and Happy New Year to you too :D What a year - I think my ideal birthday present would be to have 2007 back again - I've loved it :D

Just one hour to go here :)

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year to all of you too. I hope that 2008 brings us all happiness and heath and plenty of Jake movies to see (I know Brothers is not due out till 2009 but maybe filming more movies for us to see)

I wish him all the best too

Linda :-)

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Happy New Year to you Linda! I still have high hopes Brothers will be out before December 2009.

And yes, a big Happy New Year to the person who brought us all together in the first place - Jake :D *

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Happy New Year, my friends, and Happy New Year, Jake :D

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year to all WDW readers. Wishing you health, happiness and love for 2008.

twistedlogic said...

Happy New Year everyone, and Jake!!! Brilliant post, thanks WDW, Ruby and Anouska :) Let's hope Jake makes it 3 in a row;) And I hope we'll see more of Jake over here in 2008, I might get to see for myself what all the fuss is about ;) Hope evryone had/is having a great New year celebration!! xx

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Happy New Year Ruby and TL! Hope the heads are OK today...

Oh yes TL - the Get Jake to London campaign must begin in earnest :D

Anonymous said...

OMG... you asked "the Queen" to move away??? lol... nothing should get in the way of getting our hands on Jake, eh? Royalty be damned!!!

Thanks for sharing these wonderful moments with us. I read about it some before when I was lurking in DC's Lashers thread. I bet I'd be rubbish in such situation, I'd probably lost in the crowd and got suffocated from the crowd and the mere mention of Jake arriving. So you gals are really brave... andd brainy and lucky and ... i am so jealous!! especially Anouska, cos she touched his sleeve! omg... but i think if ever have to choose to touch any part of Jake, it would be his hair...

"Jake, say... what shampoo do you use?"

Great post :) Happy New Year! May your new year filled with Jakey goodies.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Winterbird - Happy New Year! Yes, yelling at 'The Queen' to get outta the way as she was obscuring my view of Jake is one of my prouder moments :D As I recall, she didn't budge but then she was the one with the really good view at that point, so I can't blame her.

The crowd wasn't too bad because the numbers were restricted and most of the time it was pretty civilised, but Jake makes all that go to pot. I think Anouska has yet to wash that hand by the way...

* Feeling faint at thought of touching Jake's hair *

I wish plenty of Jakey goodies to us all through 2008 as well as lots of love to the man himself :)

sass said...

Happy New Year again WDW, Baftarinas and everyone,

Love the videos...and the commentary and the shouts of Jake, Jake, Jake.
Ruby is a hoot. And Helen telling her to get up or she'll hang herself on the rope...:lol:lol

Thanks for sharing my favorite Jake Bafta youtube with us. I saved all your pics and videos in a WDW Bafta folder on my HD for future perusing and pleasure.

Jake does have a golden aura...I really see it in the photo you published here...see below again:):)

Jake's aura...TY Kate

He really is a beautiful man. If I had touched him, I'd still be standing there frozen in time...lucky girls you all are...and lucky us getting to share this time with you.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Happy New Year Sass *)

That's so great to think you have a special folder for Bafta Day! I know Jake was so beautiful at Cannes (and all the time!) but there really was something special about Bafta/Rendition Jake - I was so proud of him walking down that carpet and everyone loved him :D

Wet Dark and Wild said...

That pic, Sass, is so special to me - I'm so pleased you like it too *

Anonymous said...

Hey WDW (Kate)..I just wanted to take this opportunity to say Happy Happy New Year...may yours be prosperous, healthy and full of Jake!!! Thank you so much for all of your fabulous insightful postings...I do not always comment, but I read them everyday. You are a goddess...thank you thank you so much..Michele

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Thank you so much Michele and I wish you every joy, happiness and Jake for 2008! Thank you very much for taking the time to read the site *)

twistedlogic said...

Happy 2008 everyone! Hope the hangovers aren't too bad;)

Hoping that, in the immortal words of Bono, "nothing changes on New Year's Day" - ie, we'll still all be flocking here to enjoy the latest treats from WDW and swooning over the wonder that is Jake;D

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi TL! Happy 2008 to you too - and may it be full of pausing the Rendition DVD - at 'that' scene - and enjoying the thought of Brothers' copious naked shaving scenes... I'm still hoping that this film will be Jim's gift to us in 2008 and not in 2009. How's your head? I failed to drink that much last night - I'm fully intending to make up for that tonight :D

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year lil darlin's!

As Helen M said, BAFTAs are a party, and werent they streamed? I think I saw it all happening live, am I wrong? Gosh what a great year, and to be in the center of it all, in a way, thanks to you WDW and others: and n such good copany - hey, Im immunized enuff to be ready for 2008!

Its gonna snow all day in the Berkshires, it's beautiful and quiet, except for those damn waltzes in Vienna, WHY is this a New Years tradition, anyway?

My head's okay but my stomach is querulous - okay, belly-be-good, I'll behave tomorrow.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Happy New Year Pia! I know in the UK the Baftas were put on TV just as they were finishing live, which meant I was able to catch Jake's intro of Helen. I like to think I'm fully immunised to and ready for whatever treats Jake wants to throw in our path in 2008! Hope you feel better soon *) I'd better put these choccies away...

Anna said...

LOL! Great post, WDW! Thanks for the recap of what you all experienced that night. It almost feels like I was there too (I wish I was...).

And I'm sure Ruby didn't yell anything about Jack Nasty to make Jake listen... ;-)

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

/Lfnanna

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hey Anna, Nannnna! Great to see you - thanks for commenting :D I'm so glad you enjoyed the memories.

All hail to Ruby for a moment I'm far too much of a lady and scholar to mention ;) Seriously funny.

Happy New Year!!

Anonymous said...

Tell, tell, tell! (what Ruby said)

Make our (new years) day!

Ruby said...

*blushes* my high decibel 'Jack Nasty' was delivered with the utmost affection. :)

Anonymous said...

Hey everyone! I loved the walk-through of the most glorious Bafta evening. Every minute was wonderful, especially seeing how excited WDW, Anouska and Ruby got reliving their special day and evening.

I had the most wonderful time with all of you. Can't wait to meet up again. Love and big hugs from Tammy

Anonymous said...

Ruby, tee hee, good for you! nice take on "jack nasty loves ya. . ."
I love it! you guys!

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hey Ruby - is it just my imagination or did you yell 'Jack Nasty W* L*** Y**!'? (Not to give it away, of corse). You did us proud - I wish I'd have thought of it :)

Big hugs Tammy! Great to see you here and thanks for putting up with us getting all over-excited and emotional by a scrap of pavement outside a pub in a busy Covent Garden :D It was so great to see you and I hope it's the first of many times *)

Hi Pia - It was a classic moment of the year and should feature on some of these Best Of... TV shows :D