Tuesday 1 January 2008

Love and glory - Brokeback in Venice and Zodiac in the charts [Update: New pics]

Happy New Year to all of you and welcome to the first post of 2008!

Brokeback in Venice

It's not often you can pinpoint a life-changing event, but I can - on Sunday 29 January 2006 I saw Brokeback Mountain for the first time and nothing has been the same since. It was bad at first, then it got better and now it's wonderful. A rare chance to see the film on the big screen is coming up in London. It is showing at the BFI on the Southbank from Thursday 10 January until Sunday 13 January, at 8.20pm. I believe that there are some organised trips going on, which I'll look into, but if anyone is interested, please email me.



So, as it's the first day of the year and Brokeback isn't far from my mind, I thought I'd focus briefly on Brokeback Mountain's success at the Venice Film Festival in 2005. In this beautiful city, Ang Lee won the Golden Lion for Best Film. Interestingly, other films in contention included Jake's Proof and Heath's Casanova and Brothers Grimm. What a year!


Here is a video interview that Jake recorded in Venice, a day after his arrival and still battling with the constant companion to film festivals - jetlag. Should you be unable to get any or all of this to play, you can have a go at reading Jake's answers below in German. I do love to hear and watch Jake talk about what drew him to this film after his initial fear of the project, having first read the script as a boy (aged only 17). Here Jake says that, once Ang was on board, he had to do it: 'Then when Ang came on to it I read it years later and, with the idea that Ang was going to direct it and knowing his films, and knowing that he tackles universal topics, it's not just, you know, the specific topic of, in this case, sexuality. It was more the idea of love. Just thinking that way when I read it, I was so moved by it and I just had to do it. I met with Ang and just said I had to do it and a few weeks later he let me! It was that simple!'



Here are a couple of videos from that amazing Film Festival. The first is of the press conference, in which we can enjoy watching Heath and Jake interact, and the second covers all of Heath's films in Venice, including film of Jake and Heath on the Brokeback red carpet.





Zodiac in the charts

Looking at the end of year critics' lists, one would be forgiven for assuming that Zodiac will be the film to sweep the board at the Oscars in February. However, all fans of Jake Gyllenhaal and Brokeback Mountain have learnt the hard way, that this will most likely not be the case. But there is some satisfaction to be had by reading through the acclamations. I can never hear enough that Zodiac is one of the best films of the year, or indeed IS the best film of the year. I may be biased but I know a good film when I see it.


The American Scene places Zodiac at No 3: 'David Fincher’s most meticulous film, and his most maddening. Technically flawless, in Fincher’s usual way, it’s a slick, Hollywood masterpiece that turns the conventions of the crime story inside out, offering elusive clues at best and frustrating both its characters and viewers at every turn. A chaotic and slow-burning antidote to CSI’s cult of easy evidence, Fincher’s movie takes the framework of the detective tale and remakes it into a vast epistemological quandary.'


Likewise, a Cinematical critic and Ohio's Toledo Blade also put Zodiac at No 3. Cinematical: 'David Fincher's film about the Zodiac killer was one of the most under-appreciated films of the year. This film is riveting and flawlessly put together, with a set that was an exact reproduction of the real San Francisco Chronicle during the time of the story and outstanding performances by a great cast including Jake Gyllenhaal and Robert Downey Jr., and I was deeply disappointed that it pretty much tanked at the box office. It was well-received critically, though, and perhaps its appearance on several end-of-year lists will compel folks to check it out on DVD.' Toledo Blade: 'A remarkably obsessive meditation on obsession itself, David Fincher's chilling police procedural was not the serial-killer movie audiences were led to expect. Which is why so many hated it. But what they got if they stayed was All the President's Men stretched into an epic, a film so entrenched with details, its subjects (hypnotized with purpose) lose all focus on their own lives.'


Laist judged Zodiac as its second favourite film of 2007: 'Roger Ebert once said something along the lines of, "A good movie is never too long and a bad movie is never short enough." I could have kept watching Zodiac for hours. Though Jake Gyllenhaal is nominally the star, the movie really belongs to Robert Downey, Jr. Many will say that Fight Club is David Fincher's best film, but my vote would go to Zodiac.' News-Leader put Zodiac at No 2; the Orlando Sentinal put Zodiac at No 5, as did New Zealand's TV3; Playback placed Zodiac at No 9.


The Huffington Post listed its favourite films in no particular order, but Zodiac went first: 'Based on his fiendishly artistic, misanthropic and influential necro-fetish classic Se7en, we already knew David Fincher could craft the perfect serial killer movie. And yet Fincher, a subversive, substance-soaked stylist, chartered new territory with the stunningly ambitious Zodiac, a movie that goes above and beyond the perceived limitations of the serial killer genre by becoming not only an intricate study of obsession, but a moody explication of one of our darkest eras - the 1970's. Taken from the real life case of The Zodiac Killer -- a mysterious, black hooded assassin who terrified the San Francisco Bay area just as the '60s were coming to a close -- the picture boasts horrifying, unnervingly tense sequences of random yet bizarrely ritualistic acts of violence.'


'But the picture's not simply content with its startling death throttles, and instead narrows its focus on three men (Jake Gyllenhaal, Mark Ruffalo and an extraordinary Robert Downey Jr.) so consumed by capturing the elusive killer, that their fervency borders on madness - a madness they (and consequently the viewer) cannot shake. Part police procedural, part journalistic drama, a la All The Presidents Men, Zodiac deftly and densely splits narrative, making for a multifaceted and unexpectedly mordant examination of the era's pessimism and unease, particularly since the crime may never be solved. Like a true '70s movie, one leaves the picture haunted; riddled with unanswered questions and an enveloping sense of dread that just clings to you. And seriously, if the song wasn't creepy enough, you'll never hear Donovan's "Hurdy Gurdy Man" without visions of a faceless fiend stalking you in a black car on a dark night.' Very true, these songs will never be nor sound the same.


FILMdetail had this to say about Zodiac: 'Major studios are often berated for churning out soulless dreck and whilst that’s often true, they do also make some great films from time to time. The problem is that sometimes no audiences end up going to see them. Zodiac is just such a film - when people look back in years to come I think this will be seen as something of a classic. Based on the case files of the unsolved Zodiac killing that plagued California in the 60s and 70s this was a thriller cut from the finest cloth. Director David Fincher demonstrated his marvellous visual skills whilst conveying many complex layers of information wrapped up in a beguiling procedural drama. The acting from Mark Ruffalo, Jake Gyllenhall and Robert Downey Jnr as three different characters haunted by the case deserved higher praise than it got. Plus, the production design and the brilliant HD camerawork by Harry Savides merit the highest praise. For me this was Seven crossed with All the Presidents Men and that is high praise indeed.'


I'm delighted that Zodiac was the clear winner of the year for UK site DVD Times. In Ioncinema, Zodiac also earned top spot: 'Yes, I feel that Zodiac was the best film I saw this year. Why? Because it took risks, toyed with genre conventions, broke through technological boundaries and gave us the most complete understanding of the entire Zodiac incident that were ever going to get. The passage of time is a destructive force and it was really only Zodiac that really used that theme to it's full potential this year. Unfortunately, everyone went to see Wild Hogs opening weekend.'


And there are other lists featuring Zodiac... But there were also other films out in 2007. Rendition has hardly a look in, and we've discussed possible reasons for that. SherryBaby was another movie we watched out for in 2007 and The Sun placed that as it's 9th favourite film of the year: 'Maggie Gyllenhaal deserves an Oscar for her edgy Sherry Swanson, who wants her daughter back after leaving prison. Uncompromising viewing with no easy answers.'


New pictures from 31 December

Jake's done it again - I finish a post and what happens... new pics! Always the way. Here is Jake out for a walk in LA with Reese and her children yesterday. Source Flynetonline.





Includes pictures from IHJ and Associated Press.

31 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year everyone!! Here's to a great 2008!

Have to catch up all all the postings and comments.

Year in Jake review, Zodiac, Rendition, Bafta, TIFF, new pictures of Jake....awesome!

Be back soon. :)

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Get Real - Happy New Year :D

Anonymous said...

Even though the Venice vid did not play all the way through, OMG, Jake is gorgeous in this interview.

Thanks for latest pap pix. "The actors life" is a mystery to me - I guess actors get holidays like everybody else. Seems unfair haha when we are waiting with baited breath for the next film.

Beautiful snow for New Years Day. Yay 2008 - !

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Pia *) I couldn'tget the video to play all the way through either, but how lovely Jake looks!

I agree - Jake should get back to work so that we can see this film - I can hardly wait!

We've been forecast snow here for the end of the week - not good in Blighty - we can't deal with it :(

Anonymous said...

ah the venice vid played through! what a beauty!

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Ooh so it can work! I'll have another go tomorrow, thanks Pia - G'night :D

Anonymous said...

If I may, a suggestion: could you reserve just one "goodie" per post? Otherwise it's just to much to keep the pace with you. For example, I have never seen the first video before.

Also, you would have more space to comment and outline the meaning and context of every piece you post, in the way you know so well. : )

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Morning everyone! Last day off work... Shame, I could get used to this ;)

Hi Anon - I've had this debate before and most people who commented said that they were quite happy to read more than one item in a post and could dip etc or come back to it later on.

I do appreciate that you value the commentary and context a discussion can bring to a 'goodie'. Of course this site combines 'goodies' with news and, as is usually the case, the news can't be predicted. I also realise that I am never going to please everyone, including myself, all the time and that's part and parcel of running a site like this.

I'm glad you enjoyed the video :D

Iggy said...

Thank you for another interesting post WDW. I loved remembering Brokeback and looking at the videos..Jake in the first one was truly delightful. I could only go so far with the vid and even that loaded very slowly..but it is, oh so worth the wait. Jake was charming. The other Brokeback two were great also.

I'm with you on Zodiac...after Brokeback Mountain...I wouldn't count my chickens...ANYTHING is possible with the awards. But I am hopeful! Not too long to wait now....

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Rosie! I think with that video the wind has to be blowing in the right direction and it must be a certain phase of the moon, cos I couldn't get it to play all the way through either on any attempt. But I did enjoy what I could see and fortunately some people had better luck with it.

Award season - can my heart take it!

Anonymous said...

G'morning everyone! Snowy woods, and brrrr. Well,, it's ten degrees F in Santa Fe at five in the morning, where is Donnie?

I liked the script of Donnie Darko, I like to read scripts. Loved the script of BBMt. Interesting to me to hear Jake speak of the clarity of the BBMt script, referring to Annie P's story as well as screenplay, how they just had to walk the story - so much of the dialogue in BBMt is straight Annie P - power is in the words as well as the story line.

Jake speaks so simply of making this film, in this interview. Gosh those eyebrows! His "toucher" must have a field day keeping them shapely. They are gorgeous! And so mobile.

OK o8, here I come, ready or not.
(not)

p.s. one thing I like about the style of this blog (sorta replying to anon) is that there's always something that interests me and we move on fairly quickly so, again, for me, I dont get caught in brooding about one thing or another, as I am sometimes inclined to do. Does this make sense? (since I havent had my breakfast yet. . . and wish I were in Venice but not this time of year)

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Morning Pia! I'm just about to open the airlock here - chilly with forecast of snow.

I've only read one Jake-related script and that was BBM, although I hae the Donnie script. The transition from short story to screenplay for Brokeback really amazes me - real genius in both, and then in the execution by Jake and Heath.

Jake has magnificent eyebrows :D

I'm a brooder too that's for sure. Sometimes things are just dictated by how much time I have - when I have time, such as a few day's off, then I like to spend it on WDW with all of you, hence longer posts. But back to the Doldrums tomorrow...

Off shopping to spend my whiskey voucher ;)

twistedlogic said...

Well, the wind's obviously blowing the wrong way in South London cos I can't get the video to play all the way through either:( Probably just as well, there's only so much Jake talking about BBM I can take without turning into a hopeless emotional wreck. Loved the Red Carpet vids though! Doesn't Heath look gorgeous with short hair?*swoon* even if I thought he looked like David Beckham at first! (memo to self:book eye test asap). What I wouldn't give to see some new pics of Jake and Heath together*sigh* Maybe at TDK premiere...*crossing fingers in hope more than expectation*

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hey TL - You can't get it to play at all? Your PC's Anti-Jake Firewall is working in overload! Is it Heath proof as well? I love those red carpet videos - Jake in an environment he totally controls... I hope you can cope with more Jake and Jack emotional overload ;) To see Jake step out on the TDK red carpet in support of his friend and sister would be incredible.

Like David Beckham?? I think you need more chocolate... *)

twistedlogic said...

Hey WDW! I can get the video to play about three quarters of the way through - up until Jake starts talking about the short story and the script (btw, is it me or does Jake pronounce Proulx funny? I always thought it was pronounced "Proo"? Oh well, what do I know?
Don't know if I can cope with more Jake/Jack, but if you have some lined up I'll give it a try;)

Wet Dark and Wild said...

That's as far as I get too TL. I noticed Jake's pronunciation of Annie's name. There are a few words that Jake says in quite an unusual way and I really like it :D

twistedlogic said...

That's like in BBM, when they both pronounce "coyote" the way it's spelt - I always thought it was coyo-tee (as in Wile E.) I suppose it's that thing about two countries separated by a common language. Or just a quirky Jake thing;) I still really want him to do a film where he has to speak Italian or Spanish - now that really would be sensorial overload!

Anonymous said...

In New Mexico the hispanics say coYO=tay.

Keep trying with the Venice video, it all of a sudden shapes up and worth seeing the whole things simply for the eyebrows. Jake and Heath were on a BBMt high for some time after the making of that film - or so it seemed to me.

I havent even had breakfast yet and the days half done, busy morning. Hi TL! Happy Nes Year!

KeepCalm+CarryOn said...

WOW, what a great post with which to start 2008,WDW! Oh yes,where are my manners?! Happy New Year all you lovely people,only a day late!

It was so fitting that you should choose some "Brokeback" reminiscing to open the first post of the year,WDW, as I think this film is what brought most of us to Jake,and,by extension,here. The video footage made me very wistful and nostalgic,aaah happy days!

I too would LOVE to see Jake on the Red Carpet for "TDK" (I cannot WAIT for that film!)in support of big sis and great mate...I just hope Jake's "handlers" don't prove too obstructive,advising him not to be seen within several miles of Heath lest those pesky "gay" rumours should start surfacing again. With a bit of luck,Jake will tell any such advisors to stick it where the sun don't shine and turn up in his best bib and tucker anyway!

Crikey that photocall was a rowdy affair,the photographers baying in such a moronic and zoo-like fashion. I'd love to have been able to hear the comments Jake was whispering to Heath and making him laugh,doubtless taking the piss out of the whole daft process which Heath never handles as well as Jake, his endearing natural fidgetiness betraying his discomfort with the situation.

It was reassuring, too, to read all the postive critiques of "Zodiac" you so doggedly unearthed with Graysmith's tenacity,WDW! I'm sure that another great injustice will soon be upon us as the Academy ignore this masterpiece, which sadly flew under the public radar. We shouldn't worry really,as the worth of an Oscar has for ever been grossly devalued by the debacle of denying "Brokeback" the Best Picture statuette, in favour of the "safe",Hollywood-centric option with "Crash"!

That shot of Jake and Chloe at Cannes must bring back so many happy memories for you,WDW. It's a shame Chloe's role was so small,I was really impressed with her,both with her acting and with the fact that she was so down-to-earth,"normal" and "un-Hollywood", refreshingly non-fake, which I find very attractive.

I have a certain sympathy with "Anon" as I sometimes have to give up on a really long post here when I'm pushed for time,which has been all too often lately,but then I also appreciate how hard it is to juggle all the Jake-archive jewels you have,WDW,with a varying amount of incoming news. And who am I to complain about ANYONE being long-winded when people must lose the will to live rather than plough through an average mega-comment of mine(this one being just another example!).

As for incoming news,Flynetonline are certainly ensuring a regular supply of "candid" shots of Jake with RW,with or without offspring in tow. It's said that Flynet have an "understanding" with CAA, Jake's management company, who now "look after" Reese too. I might be wrong but I think that a company meant to be serving the interests of both parties would do better to discourage, rather than facilitate,such frequent papping where there are children involved -these two poor little souls look distinctly miserable and bewildered in these latest shots. Just MHO!

Christie said...

Happy New Year everyone and especially WDW for such a great post to kick 2008 off in style. Love any/all talk of BBM, could do that forever. Nadine, I agreed with what you said about what brought Jake to your attention, it was BBM for me too, and for that I will be forever grateful. It also brought Heath to my attention too - not to mention the fact it is now my favourite film of all time, so that can't really be bad.

Loved your previous post too recalling your wonderful experience at BAFTA, that must have been totally amazing, and I loved your retelling of it. Loved the pics too, blurry or not. They were all fantastic because they had a definite "there" quality!! And didn't Jake look gorgeous. I know - he always does.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Evening all :D Spent a very pleasant couple of hours bathing in Brokeback Mountain and Jake for this evening's post. I can't get this Brokeback mood out of my heart, must be something to do with the second anniversary.


TL I'm still really wanting to see Jake do a movie/play/anything with an English accent. I bet he'd be so good at it - and then they can cast him as Bond...

Wow Nadine What a comment! Thanks for taking the time to do that :D I'm definitely feeling nostalgic as this year begins, remembering the beginning of 2006, little knowing what was in store...

The picture of Jake and Chloe does bring back memories. I have a real fondness for Chloe now as she was kind enough to point out Jake's fans to him on the red carpet - just a little tug of the arm.

As I'm back to work tomorrow, people need have no fears of being being long-winded in coming days! I've learnt my leson :D

Hi Christie! That's such a good point about Heath - I adored him in The Knight's Tale before but that was it. Now, although I don't care for all of Heath's films, I'm going to always have warm feelings for that man and care for how the world treats him. I also think he's going to make one hot Joker!

Thanks for those kind words about the Bafta post - one thing about my photos, they definitely do hav the 'there' feeling about them, but not much I can do about that. Jake just has that effect on me and I cannot hold that camera still or aim it in the right direction for the life of me. But instead I get to look at Jake with my eyes instead of through a lens and I reckon that's the better of the two.

Anonymous said...

Finally catching up. What a look back and a look to a new year! Love the videos. Jake at Bafta, Venice and Cannes is a thing of beauty. *Sigh* So happy that Zodiac is getting so much praise. Now we just need more Rendition notices. Jake was brilliant in both!

Nadine, appreciate your comment. Jake has never seemed to shy away from Heath or any of the rumors. Would love to see Jake at TDK premiere but we will have to wait and see if that happens. No guarantees although it would be absolutely lovely. :) I don't think Jake would want kids to be "used" for any sort of the sake of Jake and Reese's relationship. I think the paps are very capable of sadly stalking celebs when they want a picture. I also don't think Flynet is being paid to get these pictures. JMO.

paulh said...

I can think of lots of legitimate reasons why Jake would be on the red carpet (for BAFTA, or the Oscars, or any other awards ceremony):

--He could be nominated for a BAFTA/Oscar/Golden Globe/etc. in his own right.

--"Zodiac" or "Rendition" might be nominated for an Oscar, and the loyal cast would show up.

--Jake might be presenting one or more awards.

--Jake might be making a pres-entation on some topic or other, or just plain dazzling everyone with his steps.

--Reese might be a nominee or presenter, and Jake would be accompanying her as her escort.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Get Real - I love that! Jake at all these places really is a thing of beauty, and definitely even more so in real life, hard as that is to believe. I'd love to see Jake at the TDK premiere. I'll stay out of the pap debate because the Hollywood pap business is something that amazes me and I've chatted to a few paps in my time, just amazing.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Paulh - I have everything crossed that Jake will be at the BAFTAs again and I hope it's because he or one of his films has a nomination. The Globes have ignored him and them however. I have more hope for the British awards. I also think Jake will be at the Oscars, especially as he missed it last year. But who knows? As you say, Jake just needs to go to thse events to dazzle!

KeepCalm+CarryOn said...

Hey Christie. Yes,BBM introduced me to Heath as well as Jake and that distinctive Aussie gentleman is a delight in his own right too!

Hi Get Real,yes we're all entitled to our respective opinions and papping,PR etc are always controversial topics!However,for the record,I have to emphasise that neither in my earlier comment here,or anywhere else for that matter,have I EVER suggested that Jake would be complicit in or responsible for children being used in a publicity stunt!

Anonymous said...

Great updates wdw! Heath looked gorgeous during the Venice photocall, but it makes it once again obvious that Jake handles such situations a lot better. Loved all the interviews too.
I'm glad Zodiac is liked by critics so much, i wished award voters would appreciate it as much.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Thanks very much for your comment Anon - it would be so good if the award givers could see what everyone else can see. There's noone like Jake on a red carpet or on an occasion like that - he is so professional :D

Anonymous said...

Hey Nadine! I understand that you weren't accusing Jake of anything related to the paps taking the pics, etc. I was saying that because many people have accused him of such (not here of course - other sites) and I couldn't imagine him doing that to children. I appreciate your comments and opinions! :)

Anonymous said...

WDW I've just had a friend over who has BAFTA voting rights - she was using my wifi so upload her long list votes. She voted for Jake in Zodiac!

m

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hey M - That's great news!! And I hope your friend is not alone, I really do. Thank you for telling us *)