Friday 28 December 2007

Jake - 'It's bigger than box office and awards'

There hardly seems to be a film critic out there who isn't at pains to include Zodiac in his or her top 10 movie list of the year. It makes for pure pleasure reading these Best of lists, remembering the days when Zodiac finally came out after what seemed like delay after delay and then feeling like it wasn't making the impact it should have done on box office takings. Now that seems less relevant, because Zodiac is right up there in the top ten, often in the top five and sometimes in the top two. We don't need vindication for this marvellous film, and I'm sure David Fincher and his amazing cast, crew and post-production wizards don't either, but it does make me feel good, as the year closes, to see Zodiac right up there.


I've made no secret of my own personal adoration of this film - maybe because the anticipation was so long and then was so perfectly rewarded - and it's a joy to revel in these celebrations of a film, which, if only allowed one film choice, I would take with me to that desert island (it obviously has electricity or an endless supply of batteries).

The Boston Herald put Zodiac right at the top: '“Fight Club” for grown-ups, David Fincher’s chiller is an engrossing, hypnotic, multitextured and evocative account of the 1970s-era serial killer.'

The Californian NC Times placed Zodiac at No 7: 'Calling "Zodiac" a crime thriller or a serial-killer flick forces its best qualities to take a back seat to genre preconceptions. "Zodiac" is so good because of its dedication to logic and deduction. That's why the best scene in the film ---- and one of the best scenes of the year ---- is a simple but also deceptively complex dialogue exchange between characters played by Mark Ruffalo and Jake Gyllenhaal. They solve a mystery with an exchange of words and the free flow of brain power, a give-and-take rumble more exciting and rewarding as entertainment than any gun battle. The film is a thinker with some under-the-radar great acting.'


Staten Island Live placed Zodiac at No 3: 'It's another dark movie -- about a serial killer, in this case -- but it's possibly the most entertaining title on this list, and the one that most rewards repeated viewings. Jake Gyllenhaal, Mark Ruffalo and Robert Downey Jr. are all in top form in this film about the killer who terrorized San Francisco in the 1960s and '70s, while director David Fincher obsessed over every frame (and it shows).'

The Toronto Star had this to say: 'Zodiac: Forget Fight Club and Se7en. If you're looking for the real reason to consider David Fincher a major-league American director, all the evidence is right here. Zodiac is at once an epic true-crime police procedural and a genuinely chilling study in the nature of unfulfilled obsession. I should know: I've seen it three times already.'


The Limerick Reader put Zodiac at No 2: 'No matter what your star sign, you will love this three hour epic. Anything based on a true story gives a movie extra impetus and especially if it is a horror one. In 1970s' San Francisco a killer known as the Zodiac stalked the streets murdering people at random. This has become one of the most infamous unsolved murder cases in American history and now one of the best films of the year. This film and the scene in the basement proves that you don't need graphic violence and buckets of blood to scare viewers. Factor in fantastic performances from Jake Gyllenhaal and Robert Downey Jnr, and direction from David Fincher and you've got yourself a hell of a film.'


Elsewhere, the editors of Rotten Tomatoes found room for Zodiac in their top 5, and critics at NewsOK placed Zodiac at No 2 and No 5. The San Francisco Sentinel had this to say about one of its favourite films of the year: 'David Fincher found a story to match his own obsessive need for control in this infuriating but brilliant and original film about the elusive (and in some ways debilitating) quest for truth.' The New York Sun placed Zodiac at No 7, although I'm otherwise ignoring them as they called Jake's performance 'anaemic', which makes me doubt their abilities to judge a good performance when they see one.


Rendition, unfortunately but not unexpectedly, got little mention. However, the Kane County Chronicle ignored Zodiac and placed Rendition at No 8: 'The fall brought many films that examined our post-9/11 world. This is the best of them, a shattering drama about an American Muslim (Omar Metwally) falsely accused of a bombing in northern Africa. Metwally is outstanding in a cast that includes Reese Witherspoon, Jake Gyllenhaal, Meryl Streep and Peter Sarsgaard.' The Canadian Windsor Star (in a very odd list) placed Rendition equal 11th. The Progressive launched its Progies awards and included Rendition as one of the films up for Best Anti-War Feature: 'South African director Gavin Hood (2005’s "Tsotsi") cast a withering eye on the "War on Terror" and its draconian tactics in this anti-torture drama starring Oscar winners Streep and Reese Witherspoon, plus Jake Gyllenhaal, Omar Metwally and Yigal Naor.'


Two sites (MTV and Sign On San Diego picked up on the 'This is my first torture line' as one of the funniest lines (in an unfunny film) of the year.


The Zodiac Dircetor's Cut DVD

Not long now til the DVD event of 2008 (or until the DVD of Rendition comes out a few short weeks later). Here is another long, full and very interesting review of the release (with spoilers).


Zodiac in Cannes

I'm obviously in a Zodiac mood, so here is a video of the Cannes Press Conference. We've seen extended clips of this before, with all manner of difficulties due to the flow of the footage or the voiceover. Here are a few minutes, which can be enjoyed without any hindrance at all.



Jake falls in love with the marines and Brokeback

Having been informed that Jarhead is the perfect film for the Christmas holidays - something to do with a Santa hat - here is another video interview Jake recorded about the film, this time with the BBC. The interviewer asks something which had come to my mind as well - Why would anyone want to be a marine? Jake replies: 'I don't know, maybe it's somewhat of a male thing... I speak for myself, there's a time in my life and still is, I think, when there's a feeling of aggression and anger and a feeling of wanting to punch your fist through a wall.' Being a marine allows these feelings to be expressed, legally. 'And that's what's tempting about being a marine. And that's why I sort of surprisingly fell in love with even becoming a marine just for film.'


'When you get a lot of guys, even when they're actors, in a tent - you put 14 guys in a tent in the desert for five months - it's surprising how... similarly they will act like marines'. Jake fell for Tony Swofford's 'regret and appreciation' for his marine life, which were mixed up in this 'beautiful prose' and 'I fell in love with that... I could just empathise somewhere.'


The British interviewer points out to Jake that Brokeback Mountain and Jarhead opened in the UK within a week of each other, which gives Jake the chance to say of Brokeback: 'I think it is the most beautiful love story of the year... It's bigger than us all... It's bigger than box office and awards... It means you can mix genres, you don't have to contextualise everything and keep things in a box to feel comfortable about it. That anything is possible, this movie kind of says to me and that's why I think it's really, really beautiful.'

It's also interesting to hear Jake not really being able to make up his mind about whether this run of golden films has opened up more opportunities for him or not, 'Yes and no'.


And finally...

...This interview is now available again on YouTube so watch it while you can:



Includes pictures from IHJ, Just Jared and Getty Images.

29 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sun plus times moon. Glorious.

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much Kate for keeping us up with the latest! Happy holidays to everyone..

Anonymous said...

Montagggnnnee (((*)))

WDW, no cloudberry chocs today - I looked.

Ruby said...

"You're quite fit in real life aren't you?" :D Love it!

(yes montagne, I'm talking to you ;) happy holidays)

Good clip choices WDW.

Ruby said...

I couldn't get any cloudberry chocs either. :(

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Big kisses all round **

Thanks Anouska, Montagne and Ruby!

No cloudberry chocs? I knew that I had the last one in existence... The pressure :\

I need a drink... Someone tell me to turn off Jurassic Park 3. I have Zodiac ready to go.

Anonymous said...

never a dull moment on this blog and I am happy for that. Well there are plenty of films that are very well done but never get the recognition they deserve and I guess Zodiac is one of them. I am going to get the directors cut, I want to see the extras including what Jake had to say.

I have watched Zodiac again I think it just keeps getting better the more I watch it.

I do, however, have one of Heath's movies that I am going to watch later. Brother's Grimm. I wonder if Jake and Heath have ever watched each other's movies. I know Jake went to the AFI premiere of Heath's Casanova and I think it's a pretty safe bet he'll be at the premiere of The Dark Knight to see both his sister and Heath in it.

Christie said...

Hi WDW and everyone. Your posts are just fantastic, I just wish I had more time to hang around here and join in with the fun discussions about them. Just so you know, I am reading every one and loving them all, you really do such a wonderful job. I'm so glad to hear about Zodiac getting the recognition it deserves. The Daily Mail film critic put it in his top 10 films of 2007 at number 3. I'm so excited about the Directors Cut coming soon.

What Jake says about BBM is just really beautiful and so true. We all think it and know it but its nice to hear it from him, and Heath. It's great to know that they both appreciate it as the most beautiful love story.

Ruby said...

WDW - turn off Jurassic park 3. And please tell Mr Ruby to turn off Mission Impossible 3 or at least to turn the volume down : / I can't hear myself Jake.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Anon - thanks for commenting and I'm glad you enjoy the site. Blimey, it's hard work but it's worth it :D

I have the Director's Cut on order from the US and I hope I'll get it as close to the 8th as possible. To say I can't wait is some understatement.

I really do think Jake and Heath watch each other's films. If you enjoy films as these two do then I'm sure you'd want to share in the films of each other. Batman is a near cert I'd say. I saw Brothers Grimm on a plane. I need to see it again.

Thanks Christie! Thanks for that about the Daily Mail critic - good to see some sense coming out of that paper :)

It means a huge deal to me too to hear Jake and Heath talk about how beautiful the story of Brokeback is. We know it is for us and it can be forgotten that it must have just as beautiful and powerful for Jake and Heath as well - they were driven to put it on the screen for us :D

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Thanks Ruby! And Mr Ruby - Turn off Mission Impossible 3 so Ruby can hear herself Jake!! Problem is... it's a really exciting bit of JP3 but the instant it finishes I'm Zodiacing - I have chocolates, an interesting Californian red wine (it's yucky but I'll stick with it), a board of cheese and biscuits and I'm ready to go.

twistedlogic said...

Thanks for the BBC video, WDW! I can totally relate to Jake's feelings of anger and aggression, having just spent the best part of an hour trying to get the video to play!! But just a few seconds of looking at that gorgeous face and hearing that soft silky voice talking Jarhead and BBM and I'm all calm and mellow again *sigh*

So pleased to see yet more praise rolling in for Zodiac - I bet there are a few suits sitting around right now feeling rather like Dick "guitar bands are on their way out, Mr Epstein" Rowe must have done 40 odd years ago;)

Oh, and thanks to whoever re-posted the This Morning interview on Youtube:) I was too scared to put it back up myself in case the ITV lawyers come after me!

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hey TL Glad I caught you before I get off to dream Jake dreams :D Sorry you had trouble with the video, your computer really has taken against our Jake! [I think this video needs an update of WMP.] But I'm pleased you got it to work in the end. He's so beautiful in it too - sigh...

I love your Epstein analogy *)

It was so good of someone to put the video up again - I hope they know how appreciated they are.

G'night!

twistedlogic said...

Hi WDW! It's funny, it's only after I recently updated WMP that alll my problems started:( Call me paranoid but I think it must e some sort of anti-Jake virus cos I still can't get that MM interview to play and whenever I have trouble with a video it only ever seems to be Jake ones :( I blame Zac Efron. Just cos I can't prove it doesn't mean it's not true;)

Sweet Jake dreams! Keeping my fingers crossed for a Jarhead/BBM crossover dream :)

sass said...

TY so much Kate,
I just added so many more news sites to my top ten list del.icio.us site for safekeeping.

And, I just watched Allison's interview 4 times and LMBAO... more times to come.

Back tomorrow ASAP to read and talk about every syllable.
xoxoxo
sass

agent_krycek said...

Just a small one, but the critic in the Daily Mail (UK newspaper) had Zodiac at number 3 in his films of the year list.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Morning everyone! I thoroughly enjoyed watching Zodiac last night :D

Hey TL - that Zac has a lot to answer for, especially if he's given your PC an anti-Jake virus. I hope you got your dream :)

Morning Sass! That interview is so good. I watched it a few times as well yesterday. I love the Wren-dish-on/off bit.

Hi Agent K! I was really pleased by that one, Christie mentioned it above, as there's not been so much coverage in the UK press. I hope there'll be more :)

Have a good day everyone :D

Ruby said...

quiet here today. If I didn't know better I'd think maybe wdw was out on the lash!!!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Ruby. I guess the birthday girl gets to do whatever the birthday girl wants.

O WDW you make us so happy, I loved esp. the review of Zodiac DVD, my new years present. And Jake's response to Alison's remark, "you look very fit in person. . . " is priceless. never enuff double Jake takes, never enuff. (he does a double take in interviews so well: d'y'all think they're scripted or natural?

Watched Ang Lee's Ride with the Devil last night: interested in Tobey, of course, and Ang's work, always.

Hi everybody! - happy days back attcha, montagne!

Ruby said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Ey up! Using ruby's toy to say hi from the south bank. A day of jaking. Perfect. Back soon. See you later :D

Anonymous said...

Anouska and Tammy say hi too

Anonymous said...

O butterscotch hugs for Tammy!

Anonymous said...

p.s. and Anouska, who is the only one I ever known drinks butterscotch shots.

Anonymous said...

pps "I have ever known."

sorry. haste make waste :) :)

Anonymous said...

Hi. I wanted to say a big "thank you" for the great information here. I read every day now. That's the first time I saw Alison interviewing Jake and it was totally hilarious. Wouldn't have missed that for the world! Actually, that was the nearest I ever saw Mr. Cool to being phased by anybody but he came through brilliantly. Thank you Kate.
Janie

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi everyone! Back now after a fabulous day of Jaking with Anouska, Ruby and Tammy. Even relatively sober for me ;) We had a bit of trouble with Ruby's phone gadget, hence the anon comments and the deletion. Love that toy though.

We have to get you over here Pia!

And a big welcome Janie! Thanks for commenting and I'm glad you enjoy the site and that wonderful interview with Jake by Alison. Jake looked to be having a lot of fun there.

paulh said...

The nice thing about being a film buff is that you get surprised fairly often. Supporting players show some unexpected spark that presages future greatness. A totally unexpected line comes out of left field, and it becomes the film's signature in your mind for the rest of your life.

So, I'll bet Jake and his friends watch each other's movies. Who knows where it all will lead? Twenty-five years from now, when Jake is writing and directing and starring in his own movies, maybe he will include echoes of some film he saw today. :-)

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hey Paulh - It's a nice image, thinking of Jake 25 years from now, leading the way in the industry with groundbreakng films, while hopefully still appearing in front of the camera.