Thursday 27 December 2007

Jake - 'We're the closest thing to an Italian family without being Italian'

It took Sam Mendes four months to decide if Jake Gyllenhaal was the right man for Jarhead. '"Yes, frankly, I did initially have some doubts," British-born Mendes says. "I pegged him as one of those drippy, sorry, American indie-film boys, a bit too doe-eyed and whiny to pull this off. Which was unfair of me."' Tony Swofford himself was impressed by Jake in an instant: "It took me almost 10 years to level with myself about the type of guy I was in Desert Shield. [Jake] got it immediately. So I see myself in the manic behaviour. But, of course, I never looked as good doing it."


It's well known how Jake failed to impress at his initial, informal audition for Jarhead, having already attracted Sam's attention on stage in London: 'Mendes thought of Gyllenhaal to play Swofford after seeing the actor onstage in London in the 2002 play This is Our Youth. The two later met at Mendes' apartment, where, at the kitchen table, Gyllenhaal read two emotional scenes. His performance fell flat. Afterward, Mendes served sandwiches and watched Gyllenhaal doggedly fight the urge to go down on his knee and beg to do the audition again. Instead, they small-talked, and the actor went home.'


The filming itself was hard, after long physical and mental preparation: 'There was usually always - like when the oil fires were going on, we had two real fires in front of us and we had oil raining on us and then in the background, and then they filled that in, but everything that we're in is all real. So it was burning hot, those fires, and they didn't use real oil, but we had like molasses, basically, so we had all of that dripping all over us all day. In terms of the explosions and things like that, they were happening, and then they would add them - the far background. The foreground and initial background was all real, and then the far background was computer-generated, so as actors, we were pretty much in the real thing all of the time. There was never a moment where they were like, "oh, don't worry - we'll drip oil all over you in post."'


To Jake, filming Jarhead, and the role of Swoff, was a step away from the kind of roles audiences were accustomed to see him play. This was partly due to the creative freedom granted to Jake by the director: '"I just tried to take risks, and Sam allowed it. He made me feel my ideas are intelligent and correct, and now," Gyllenhaal adds wryly, "you can't sway me from that."'

'These days, Gyllenhaal wants to reinvent himself. He wants to drop the loopy, disaffected image he has perfected in arty movies such as "Donnie Darko" and "The Good Girl," as well as his people-pleasing ways, and become, well, more selfish. "I think I've spent a lot of time [worrying] about how people perceive me rather than doing what I want," he says. Gyllenhaal tends to talk in circles and can be hard to follow, like the instructions on a new toy made in China. "I'll go into situations and fit right in, and that's sort of where I'm coming out of. I'm tired of fitting the way I think everybody thinks I should fit." Gyllenhaal credits "Jarhead" with setting him on that path.'


The soldiers themselves had to grow up young: 'As much issue as I have with our current situation, [as far as] the troops themselves, it's extraordinary what they do. I mean, at my age, I'm still figuring out who I am. When you're 25 years old or in your early 20s, and even younger than that, you're figuring out who you are, and when you're put in situations that they're put in and doing the things that they're doing, within that discovery I think it's just the bravest you could be.'

After Jarhead, would Jake have made a sharpshooter? '(laughs) I don't think any of them wanted to see me doing it. I mean, I dug a great foxhole (laughs).'


In addition to information on how Jake approached Jarhead, these interviews include other gems. In USA Weekend, Jake let on about what it's like around the Gyllenhaal family table: 'The actor grew up surrounded by creative types with "big personalities." His family was loud at the table and never short on opinions. They debated Reaganomics and environmental issues over farmer's-market-fresh food. "We're the closest thing to an Italian family without being Italian," says Gyllenhaal, whose mother is Jewish and father grew up in the Swedenborgian church, a traditional Christian faith from Sweden. "We're all verbose, so it's hard to get a word in edgewise. You have to claw your way around." Gyllenhaal learned early that in order to get attention, he would have to perform.' Jake is also informative: "if you drive a hybrid, you don't have to pay for [meter] parking anywhere."

Some time ago, I posted a link to an audio interview with Jake, in which he described how, for days after filming ended, he came across sand on his pillow - 'it invaded me'. Here is the video to go along with it, which begins with an 'exposure check'.



And while I'm posting videos, here is a video interview with Jake from a French source, in which Jake discusses how he prepared himself mentally for the role and how he worked with the real Swoff to do justice to the character.



Jake and Beth Grant

While finding information for this feature on Jarhead, I stumbled across this Q&A session for Donnie Darko, with Jake and others from the film. I knew that Jake had known Beth Grant (who played Kittie Farmer) for years, but here we discover that Jake's casting had a big influence on Beth taking the role and Jake says 'I used to play naked in their pool with [Beth's] two nieces. Two beautiful blonde twins. Things have changed. (Laughs)' Now there's a thought.


Beth says of the film 'It's honestly my most favorite thing I've ever done, it's my favorite movie, I must have seen it fifteen times, and Richard, I know I'm so Kittie Farmer right now, I loved this cut so much... Richard is a great director and he knew what he wanted in every scene and he got the freedom to try things and do new ideas.' Jake says: 'But it was an amazing experience for me and a familiar one too because this was hopefully not the last time that I work with my sister, but everyone sort of became family from that experience and I'm so proud of it.'

Earth Day

Thanks to I Heart Jake for posting New Old pictures of Jake and Salma Hayek from Everything's Cool and Earth Day in 2005.





Includes pictures from IHJ.

36 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tony Swofford himself was impressed by Jake in an instant: "It took me almost 10 years to level with myself about the type of guy I was in Desert Shield. [Jake] got it immediately.

Very fascinating post, WDW. I can't tell you how much I loved the book Jarhead, the way it is written. I'm always interested in the thoughts and feelings of those who go to war. I'm not surprised that Jake would interpret it so well and throw his heart and soul into it. Love the picture of him in the grey sweatshirt. I'm glad to read that he goes his own way and blazes his own trails now - he and Heath certainly did that with Brokeback - although his previous roles are wonderful and he should always be very proud of them.

Loved to read about Jake and Beth Grant too. She's in No Country For Old Men and is great and very amusing as Carla Jean's mother, although her role does take a serious turn as well.

Thanks! :)

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Bertie - thanks very much for that :D This was supposed to be a brief post, but I got carried away! And you're so right - just look at how Jake threw his heart and soul into this. No wonder we got such a superb movie. I am a big admirer of Beth Grant - I had no idea, thoughm that she's in No Country for Old Men, which has yet to reach this neck of the woods (along with all the other good films coming out).

paulh said...

It's okay to get carried away when you're talking about films that you love, WDW.

I have a family tree of the Fleetwood and Gyllenhaal families in front of me now (Princes William and Henry Windsor are descended from William Fleetwood of Cranston, as are Jake and Maggie Gyllenhaal).

I see no Italian surnames in jake and Maggie's ancestry, but there are several that were clearly English, people like Virginia Pendleton and Virginia Childs. Anne Luke may have been English as well--she was William Fleetwood's daughter-in-law. However, her son George Fleetwood married Brita Gyllenstierna, who can't have been non-Swedish....

See, I'm at least half English, and it makes me happy to detect Englishness in Jake's family tree, too.

Iggy said...

WDW....I want to say Thank YOU for these posts over Christmas....and thank you, too, to the lovely Jakers for their posts here, I've just caught up on them, and fascinating reading they make!! I've loved reading them all.

Loved TL's favourite Rendition. Loved tonight...especially this confession from Jake..

***Jake says 'I used to play naked in their pool with [Beth's] two nieces. Two beautiful blonde twins. Things have changed. (Laughs)' Now there's a thought. *** yesiree....certainly gave me a thought too.....

I've missed Jake and this place these last few days! It's great to catch up.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Paulh - I've always been interested in the history of families (my archaeological backgound maybe) and it's impossible not to like the idea of English ancestry behind Jake and Maggie :D

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hey Rosie - Good to see you and I hope you had a great Christmas! Glad you like the posts and thanks for taking the time to read them :D I rather like that confession of Jake's too ;) I missed him and here over Christmas and it's great to catch up with everyone now from the comfort of my own home :D

Anonymous said...

Wonderful Kate, you bring up information that I have never heard. I saw interviews about Jake doing Jarhead but not this background stuff. I didn't know that the director didn't want Jake to play Swofford and it was swofford who wanted Jake.

I thought Jake did a great job in the movie. I felt like we were over there, despite the fact the movie was filmed here in the states in the desert (I think maybe the California Desert)

And I like how Jake is independent when it comes to his career. He decides what movies he will make. I remember an interviewer asking if his family had any influence on his career decisions and he said no he does.

Linda :-)

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Linda! I'm glad you liked it. I think Sam always wanted Jake for the part but had to have a rethink when Jake fluffed his audition. But Jake persevered and won the part. And he did Sam and Swoff proud, and us. I think the film was shot across a number of places - in California, in New Mexico (not far from where Jake is filming now) and in Mexico itself.

I agree that, while Jake I'm sure is willing to listen to those whose opinions matter, ultimately these are his choices.

twistedlogic said...

I see Jarhead won over TDAT then! Thanks for the interviews and videos:) I have to admit I thought (or should I say, hoped!) the "exposure check" was something to do with the Santa hat scene;D
I've been watching Jarhead a lot the last few days, it's my favourite Christmas film ;)

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hey TL - Just couldn't resist teasing with the 'exposure check' ;) I find TDAT Christmassy with all that snow and ice but Jarhead is just great for Christmas :D

Anonymous said...

He's so funny, he wanted to stay in the desert when everyone else went back to the hotel. LOL! He looked hot during the Jarhead video! Thanks for posting all the great stuff! :)

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Thanks Anon! - I'm glad you liked it :D

twistedlogic said...

You've obviously been taking teasing lessons from the master of tease himself, WDW:D I've got that chest hair touching GQ pic as my desktop pic and it makes me want to cry every time I see it!
I see what you mean about TDAT, but nevr mind snow and ice, Christmas trees, chestnuts roasting on an open fire, etc - Jake in a Santa hat, that's what Christmas means to me;D

Wet Dark and Wild said...

I just love that GQ pic TL. My desktop is Douglas drinking the shots on the bar roof, but I'm ready for a change.

twistedlogic said...

I had Drinking Douglas too, but I wanted a change (and it was making the wait for the DVD seem even longer), so when I saw the GQ pic I just had to use that instead *sigh* Off to bed now, speak to you tomorrow xx

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Night TL *) I think I'll have to change mine too, maybe back to one of those TIFF memories.

chillinwitgyllen said...

Hey WDW, awesome post...pics I've never seen before...gotta love our Jake dude. He was perfect for that Swoff role. Can't imagine anyone else. Then again can't imagine anyone else in any Jake roles he's done :) He seems to morph very well doesn't he? Yummy stuff here tonite. I'm embarrassed because I went all Gyllensex not to long ago. I'll get over it. At least TL agreed :)

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hey CWG - thanks! I'm glad you liked the pics. I can't imagine anyone in these roles either - they're just Jake's, absolutely. He becomes all of these roles perfectly. No need to me embarrassed - you're certainly not alone :D

Anonymous said...

Love your coverage of Jarhead!!!!!
One of my favorites!I'm glad Jake took the plunge and really explored a more agressive side of his personality. I can see him getting to a point where he wants to punch his fist thru a wall. He seems like a smoldering type. I would like to see Jake play a really tough police detective or a lawyer. That scene in Rendition where he is questioning Omar's character was very rough. A world away from Donnie Darko (whom I adore!)....and yet...This was a fascinating post WDW. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

LOL at TDAT being "Christmassy with all that snow and ice", WDW :D That almost compensates for my having to go back to work today. *

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Morning! I think it quite possible that everyone in Britain is up before me today... :D

Hi Bobbyanna - I love the images of smouldering Jake you've put in my head. I like the idea of seeing Jake like this - roll on Brothers :D

Morning Anouska - You've got to work? That's bad :( If you get bored, you know where I am... I am a bit of an optimist so I can usually see the good side - even to an environmental disaster ;D

paulh said...

Jake showed a previously unseen
side of himself when he made
"Rendition." He held his face very tight, and the effect was one of anguish. You wondered what his character's backstory was.

In "Jarhead," his character was a goofoff, one who had been jerked around by the world, and who never expected things to go smoothly or to be in his control. The "Santa Dance" episode was a lot like a college frat house party. However, in the scene where his superior makes him apologize to Brian Geraghty's character, the anguish shows in his face. But it's a different variety of anguish than the one in "Rendition."

Has anyone noticed that Jake used to appear in movies with two-word titles ("City Slickers," "Brokeback Mountaun," "Moonlight mile," etc.), but lately he's been in one-word movies ("Jarhead," "Zodiac," :Rendition," "Brothers")?

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Paulh - it's just incredible what Jake can do - in Jarhead and in Rendition - just with a look. And moe than anything that's what drew me to him as an actor in the first place.

That's so funny about the film names - I suppose 'Giant Leap' is breaking the trend. The Day After Tomorrow is a biggie name though... :D There haven't been any others with such a lon g name - I wonder what the Joe Namath film will be called.

Anonymous said...

Broadway Joe, I bet!

Just called local Chinese restaurant to see if they'll send paper umbrellas with their order -
"sure" - ! ! ! hee hee hee

Jake still giggling about swimming in the buff with a couple of blondes - what age? and oh, yes, sand in various cavities, he doesnt want to eleborate. right, Jake. a little titilating TMI - no, never enuff, never enuff!

Hi, everybody!

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Pia! Jake giving us TMI? Not possible! Good idea about the umbrellas - I'm expecting everyone to drink something blue with me on New Year's Eve! I might have a practice this evening, but it may turn into a Blue Margarita instead. I just braved outdoors - it's chucking it down out there :( Back in and sealed the airlock...

sass said...

Morning WDW and everyone,
Awesome post. Thanks from me as well, for so many great posts over the holidays.

Jake is having a movie day on Cinemax with both Jarhead--love the posts here-- and Brokeback Mountain on this morning. I had to flip channels for a while.

I didn't realize that was Beth Grant in No Country for Old Men, though the character looked and sounded familiar. TY.

I never tire of Jake's acting. The way he uses his facial expressions, his eyes and his body language, make all facets of his characters, come alive for me in every way.

In Jarhead during the Deer Hunter scene, the sadness, and anguish in Jake's eyes, when he tells Peter's character, that he wants to stay, and see what it feels like to watch someone else make love to your girlfriend, breaks my heart.

Jake is emotionally available and totally honest when he is portrays a character; an ability a lot of actors could learn more about; then they could perhaps substitute, their on screen histrionics, with his subtle and powerful character portrayals.

Anonymous said...

"Jake is emotionally available and totally honest when he is portrays a character; an ability a lot of actors could learn more about. . "

Seems to me this is true in his serious iterviews, too, even those few when you feel he's tired or would rather be somewhere else.

He delivers.

sass said...

There is one unbelievable scene in Rendition that was a masterful piece of acting.

Douglas Freeman has just quietly witnessed several horrible acts of torture. I watched him interact with the person doing the torture, who asked him if he wanted water. I saw Jake's face totally shut down of emotion when asked that question. His eyes flickered with disgust and anguish, for just a second, right before he turned away from that brutal scene. I couldn't believe what I'd seen.

In Jarhead and Rendition, Jake demonstrates his ability, to convey emotions, without speaking or screaming or yelling dialogue at the audience.

I can't wait to get my grubby lil paws on that DVD.

I think we should be critics, but since we aren't, at least we have Roger Ebert, who acknowledges, and is aware of brilliant acting when he sees it, and called this film perfection when he saw it @ the TIFF.

sass said...

Tis so true Pia. He does deliver.

I wish we could have more serious Jakeviews--is that a word;)-- on the telly, but I can deal.

Maybe someday, he'll have a go on the Actor's Studio with James Lipton.
My fingers are xxxed:)

twistedlogic said...

Couldn't agree more with everyone's comments about Jake's subtlety, and the way he uses his facial expressions and particularly his eyes, to convey his character's feelins. It was one of the things that drew me to Jake as an actor, and Jack as a character, in BBM. Who can forget the warm delight in his little smile after Ennis speaks to him for longer than he's spoke in a year, the tender reassurance in his eyes that "it's alright" in SNIT, the eyebrow raised in deperate,pleading hope that Ennis will come back too the following summer, the hope of a sweet life with Ennis killed stone dead written all over his face in Mexico, and not to mention the transition from dreamy teenager in love to weary,broken and bitter almost 40 year old in the flashback scene. *sigh* Like the song says "he melts my foolish heart in every single scene".

Anonymous said...

"Like the song says "he melts my foolish heart in every single scene".!

O gosh TL I love to get weepy during the winter holidays!

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi everyone :) It's been very pleasant listening in to you Sass, Pia and TL. With the rain and the wind lashing against my window, you've made me feel all calm :)

paulh said...

All this talk about blue drinks with umbrellas in them has jarred my memory about Arthur Leigh Allen's birthday. Was it December 18th? What a coincidence that Jake's birthday is the day after that. Yikes!

In one of the reviews of "Rendition," the reviewer found fault with Jake for not giving his character any quirks. I bet that's the first time Jake has been found not quirky enough.

sass said...

OMG Paul, Yes, Aurthur Leigh Allen's birthday was 12/18.
hmmmm.

I'm becoming addicted to your blog WDW. I have to check it on my way out, again.

Here's another critic's top ten list, which places Zodiac, as one of the best films of 2007. How wonderful for Jake to have this accomplishment in his filmography...in addition to his Cannes triumph...when they were chanting his name. Unforgettable.
*swoon* *grin*

Rotten Tomatoes Editors' top ten films of 2007
Zodiac is listed at number 5.
These editors are very wise indeed.

Now, what I want to know, is when do the awards catch up with the critics lists???
xoxoxo

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Paulh - I remember thinking about the date of Arthur Leigh Allen's birthday and wondering if Jake thought on it too. I could do with one of those blue drinks right now - tonight's post took hours!!

Hey Sass - you must b a mind reader - that's in tonight's post :D And a big hug to you for falling for WDW *) It's reciprocated. Off to find some booze...

paulh said...

It's too late now, but wouldn't it have been neat if a group of Jake's fans could have sent him an Aqua Velva on his birthday?