Tuesday 22 January 2008

The Oscars look away while Jen stands up for Jake

I'm not amused - I think you can guess why. This morning at 7.30am (local time), the the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences announced the nominations for the Oscars and - what do you know? - not a single mention of Zodiac and its incredibly talented cast and crew in any category. One could be forgiven for hearing the sound of grinding axes. And no consideration for Rendition either, and I had a little sneaking hope that Omar Metwally would get a nod.


The lack of nominations may spare us the replay of the 2006 agony but I think Jake Gyllenhaal, David Fincher, Robert Downey Jr, Harry Savides, James Vanderbilt and David Shire - to name just a few - have been shortchanged despite superb contributions to an achievement all should be proud of.


At least we know, along with a million and one critics (slight exaggeration but so what?) that this was a film to last through time. Here is the full list, which, to be honest, I've been too cross to do anything but scan. It does seem on a cursory glance, however, that Cate Blanchett is in each category.


But ours is not to reason why and one should not brood. So, instead, I thought I'd lighten my mood by focusing on something guaranteed to make me smile. In the MTV UK Zodiac special, both Jake and David Fincher made it clear that Jennifer Aniston was responsible for the casting of Zodiac, and that it was she who insisted that David pursue Jake for his lead. This friendship and professional support that Jen has provided for Jake over a few years now, since, presumably, The Good Girl, is good to see and ongoing.


This mutual respect has led to each giving the other awards - in 2005, Jen presented Jake with the Breakthrough Actor of the Year award at the Hollywood Awards while, in 2006, Jake presented Jen with the Vanguard Award at the GLAAD Media Awards. Here are videos of both occasions.



The GLAAD moment is amazing to watch, not least because Jake says the word 'smooch' in such a way I lost ten years off my life but considered it well worth it.



This all goes back to The Good Girl and only shows what an impression the young actor must have made on Jennifer. Yet the filming itself wasn't all easy and maybe the awkwardness of the love scene in it drew them together. The UK's Sun newspaper reported: 'Jennifer Aniston says filming her big-screen sex scene -- with Jake Gyllenhaal in "The Good Girl" -- was sheer torture for her. "He's so young it felt wrong -- like doing it with a child,... I was shaking."'


Jen told the Daily Mirror: 'It was uncomfortable, unless you're someone who likes having people watch you - which I'm certainly not... It's weird having 40 crew members look at you in such an intimate situation... Also, since I don't watch myself when this is happening in real life I found myself asking, 'What do we do now?' Fortunately, Jake was as nervous as I was. Finally you just go for it.' Married to Brad Pitt (another favourite of Fincher) at the time, Jen told People that Brad had advised her 'Be nice to the guy, he's just a kid'.



In this interview, the director of The Good Girl, Miguel Arteta, makes it clear why Jake impressed both him and the screenwriter Mike White and demonstrates the lengths Jake went to, to leave his mark at his audition: 'I knew him from October Sky, which was a great performance and we wanted him, but he was really busy. He was doing Bubble Boy, and he was on his way to another set, and he just had a two week window, and we managed to make it work. He was funny. When he came to audition, we were at Mike White's brand new home; he was really proud of his home and Jennifer was there reading with everybody, and he really got into the audition, so to the point that he picked up a chair and threw it at the wall and put a huge hole through Mike White's new wall…'


[Interviewer: He does seem often that intense, on-screen anyway…] 'Mike was like,”He should definitely get the role, but he should definitely pay me for my wall, too.” (Laughs) It's hard to play a character where you have to believe their sadness, and also believe that, suddenly, they have a manicness, too. It's a lot of range.'


Includes pictures from IHJ.

15 comments:

KeepCalm+CarryOn said...

WDW - leaving the inevitably subjective,ludicrously unjust (!!!) Oscar noms to one side (where they belong!) this is such a lovely,lovely,smiley,feel-good post!!

It was great to see the two videos of Jake receiving an award via Jen and our man returning the compliment a couple of years later.

Despite the fact that,for all his bravado and chutzpah,it's still possible to tell that Jake is a tad nervy and self-conscious at such an occasion, his pre-presentation pre-amble is characteristically funny,cheeky and endearing. Indeed "smoooooch" was a golden moment and I loved the "cowboys" and "cowgirls" asides as he charmingly brings a whooping and appreciative crowd to order.

It's obviously a warm and genuine friendship between Jake and Jennifer and she might have felt like she was "seducing" a man-child in the love scenes from "The Good Girl" but they came across as really sweet and tender (I love Holden!)and the giggly out-takes were a scream. She certainly seems to be up for a kiss and a cuddle with him now! (not sure who I feel of whom I feel the most envious !! ;-) ).

And just a pause for scorn at a daft remark by the commentator "Jake and Jennifer enjoy a private moment in front of the cameras". If that's not a contradiction in terms then my name's not Jennifer Aniston!

BirdGirl said...

Needless to say I was none too pleased this morning. I was actually holding out hope that the Academy would finally realize what a spectacular movie Zodiac is. The more I watch it the more I love it. I haven't seen any of the other "Best Picture" nominees but, I doubt No Country for Old Men is one someone would want to watch over and over and over and over. :)

WTF no Into the Wild? Clearly this is a really bad year. I am happy it will probably be a freaking new conference or not televised at all. How pissed would we be if they would have been nominated and we had such a shitty show?

Thanks for all of the Jen and Good Girl stuff. I needed the 'cheer up'. As always, top notch.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Thanks Nadine! That was my attitude too - sod the Academy and try adnd find some cheer and something to make me smile and that's Jen and Jake. Jake, as you say, is a bit nervy on these award occasions and it suits him but that smooch moment, oh it melted me :D Funny about the 'private moment in front of the cameras'! :D

Hey Bird Girl - thanks so much for commenting and I share your feelings completely. I was so disgusted when I sw the nominations, I couldn't believe that the academy could be that blind - but then I suppose I shouldn't be surprised. I've not seen any of the nominated movies either, I do know I'm tired of Atonement and I've not even seen it! And if it's not a glitzy show? Not much of a loss... I'm glad the lovely Jen and Jake cheered you up, they did me too :D

Anonymous said...

Gotta give some love to Jen Aniston... Jake's Mrs Robinson... :)

oh... i am not really surprised with the Oscar stuff. You know they even denied submission of "Lust, Caution" in Foreign language flim category because it doesn't represent "Taiwan", some ridiculous rule about how it's not really a "foreign produced" - when it's almost same team who did "Crouching Tiger...." :(

oh well, at least I never subscribed to Sky Movies in order to watch the Oscar! :P

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Winterbird - I remember reading that about Lust, Caution - what absolute nonsense! I'm not surprised either but I had this little hope that all of the good reviews surrounding Zodiac would have had an impact but clearly other things are important to the academy (I just don't know what!).

Anonymous said...

OMG! Heath is dead - watch BBC!!!!!

twistedlogic said...

Hey WDW! Who cares about the Oscars? Any so-called Academy that overlooks Brokeback Mountain for Best Film has about as much credibility as Britney Spears giving parenting classes imo, so...whatever.

And yes, those videos are lovely. I've always liked Jennifer Aniston (I can even forgive her for stealing Brad Pitt off me all those years ago;) and it's great to see the mutual appreciation she and Jake have got going. They had wonderful chemistry in TGG, which is a brilliant film, albeit one that I can't watch very often, for personal reasons. It would be great to see Jake and Jen together agin - maybe Fincher could direct them in something:D

OMG heath no!

Anonymous said...

Winterbird, I just saw a brief mention on the news...wow I am in total shock.

Anonymous said...

I was just watching the BBC news channel when it first came out... i still can't believe it... they revealed that it's believed to be drug-related. His housekeeper found him dead in his apartment in Manhanttan....

oh... i am sorry to be rambling here... it's such a shock :(

oh no... not Ennis!!

twistedlogic said...

OMG I can't believe it.I'm in total shock, my hands are shaking as I type..poor Matilda...just so tragic and such a waste

Anonymous said...

OMG..is right..I just saw the story on CNN...I guess the whole story will come out...but geez...life is to fleeting..I was going to go off on a rant about the oscar nominations ignoring Zodiac...but that seems so shallow all of a sudden..
Thanks, as always, WDW...for the posting..yours are the absolute best...Michele

Anonymous said...

Having trouble logging onto the blog and and posting from blackberry. In shock over Heath. Sleeping pills? Omg no. :(

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Just devastated

Anonymous said...

Me as well. It's unreal.

paulh said...

How much credibility did the Oscars have anyway? Maybe it's a sign of honor that "Zodiac" and "Into the Wild" received no Oscar nominations, while "Norbit" did.

And lots of folks are steaming mad at the lame nominations in the "Foreign film" category.
I'm considering not watching the Oscar presentations this year (though I will certainly read about the results in newspapers and online), not because I'm protesting, but because there is so little left to care about...

Poor, poor Heath! Whatever demons he was wrestling with got him bad. :-(