Tuesday 26 February 2008

The day after the day after the Night Before - Jake in Variety and New Weekly

Much of today has been spent trying to track down Daily Variety, thanks to IHJ's Stephanie who set me on the trail. You'd have thought finding Daily Variety in Beverly Hills would be easy, but then I also hadn't calculated on having helicopters hovering over my hotel in the not so small hours of the morning because Elton John happened to be having a little soiree. But, in the end, I found a copy, which contains a picture of Jake Gyllenhaal - with David Arquette - at the Night Before party. I didn't pack my scanner so, until I can scan it, here is a photo of the picture. And it is a little picture, unfortunately. Read on for details on the other photos in this post.


While being delighted to see a picture of Jake at the event, it also makes me cross that I didn't find a bigger pile of coats to hide behind. I know some people think Jake looks sad here, but the party didn't start until quite late and he just looks tired to me - after all, they did all have to pose with MacDonalds, play video games and try on several pairs of sneakers before being given a drink and a Big Mac. The article itself makes no mention of Jake but it does say that, including this year, the event has raised $31 million since its inception in 2003. For more details - as well as an extremely long list of people - see Variety.


In the Beverly Hills Hotel Polo Lounge, before the event, someone pointed out Kirk Kerkorian to me, the owner of the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, looking a lot younger than his 80-odd years. Maybe I should have gone up to him to thank him for my very pleasant stay in his hotel in January 2007. Despite having the longest corridors I've ever had to walk in a hotel, the beds were the comfiest and I soon got used to the green glow.


Jake interviewed for Rendition in Australia

The release of Rendition in the theatres of Australia has led to the added bonus of more publicity from Jake. Yesterday, New Weekly published a 'Five Minute' interview with Jake, which contained some interesting questions and answers. I was particularly relieved to hear that, although Jake has had some falls off his bike, he is 'still here'. Here are some extracts from this all too brief piece:


Q: Are you okay with being a sex symbol?
JG: Am I fine with it? Do I have a problem with it? I don't know. Look, it gives me the opportunity to do the work I want to do. Ironically then, I have no problem with it because it's sort of more about the work I want to do.

Q: You bulked up a lot for Jarhead and you seem to have kept some of it. Do you work out a lot?
JG: I don't know. [Laughs.] I do exercise, but I don't really focus on keeping myself looking physically good. I want to feel good. It makes me feel good to do that. So I guess it stayed. I don't know — I feel a lot skinnier than I was then.



Q: How did you get into it?
JG: My best friend is a cyclist and he had a tandem bike. One day he was like, "Let's ride." I got on the back of the bike and we were riding and we just started pushing so hard, working together on this tandem bike. It was so much fun. I just remember that one ride — from then on I started riding. Then I guess Lance Armstrong heard that I biked and so he called me one day: "You want to go for a ride?"


Q: There was this phase where there were always photos of you, Lance and Matthew McConaughey …
JG: [Laughs.] Yeah. Well, then I had to go to work. We all hung out during summer, then we all had to go to work.


Q: Your fans seem to worry that you're not happy. Are you happy?
JG: That's really sweet, actually — it's really nice. I would say, "Stop worrying about me and ask yourself."

Q: Perhaps they just get this melancholic vibe from you ...
JG: I can be melancholy but I also feel a grand spectrum of feelings — not just happy, not just melancholy, not just one thing. I'm pretty aware all the time of my feelings.


WDW On the Road (on foot)

For those of you who are polite enough to be interested in my tour of Jakeland, it continues! Today was the turn of Beverly Hills and a little bit of West Hollywood. So here are some photos from Jake landmarks, with some others of the gentleman himself in situ, which are scattered through this post, so you can match them up. For those with keen eyes and memories, some photos contain more than one image that should be familiar from pictures of Jake. The pictures include North Bedford Drive, Rodeo Drive, Santa Monica Boulevard (south), the Beverly Center (speedos anyone?) and the 'other' Urth cafe on Beverley Drive. I would have taken a picture of the Ivy but it was full of people wanting to have their photos taken by paps, and not by me.










Includes pictures from IHJ and Just Jared.

24 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey WDW, sounds like you had another great day! Love the Jakeland picture tour. So is your hotel near the Pacific Design Center?

Btw, Jake is listed in the Variety article in alpha order under the really lost list of celebs who attended the party.

Anonymous said...

^^ long list of celebs...

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Get Real! Yep, my hotel is definitely within helicopter hovering range of the Pacific Design center - it's about a ten minute walk away :( I went up to have a look but all you could see was a big marquis at the back of the Center.

Yep, Jake's in the list of celebs but he's not mentioned in the article proper, which is an oversight if you ask me ;) But what an amazing list.

I had a great day! But I'm very red, especially on my right side. I must try and even up tomorrow. I'm paying my respects to Mickey Mouse tomorrow (although I'm a complete coward when it comes to rides) :D

Anonymous said...

Gotcha WDW. You really should get some suntan lotion and some after sun cream to help sooth your burnt skin.

So you are really close to the PDC. Oy to hear those helicopters all night. Oh so you off to Disnyland tomorrow...fun.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

I'm really enjoying the sun, Get Real - it's doing me so much good to be away from the frosts and dark cold days. But I'll be on the hunt for lotion tomorrow. I spent a very happy lunchtime, sitting in the sun drinking margaritas.

I can't wait for Disneyland tomorrow. I'm scared of rollercoasters but I love some of the other rides, like Soarin.

I'm watching a recap of the red carpet and the parties from last night and Anne Hathaway is on the list of worst dressed - no way!

Anonymous said...

I hear you about wanting the sun after bad winter weather. Lunch and margaritas...yummy! I am not a roller coaster fan either but like you I like the other rides. I know there will be lots to do at the park besides that.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Aagh - blogger ate my comment - I do hate it when it does that.

Thanks Get Real - I'm looking forward to it - shame I'll be there on my own though.

I'm watching a review of the Oscars and it's shown Tilda Swanton's speech where she made fun of George Clooney in his batman suit. It then showed an interview with her where she says she felt driven to do it - to belittle him. That completely passed me by - I'm dim like that - but it really took me by surprise, as they were co-stars in MClayton afterall.

Anonymous said...

WDW!!!!! (waves wildly!!!) This Jake!Tour is a pure delight. You are having a wonderful adventure.I SO hope you have a happy accidental run in with someone. I wish I could have joined you! Trapped as I am in the grey, cold, damp nastiness of the upper Midwestern USA and recovering from strep, brochitis and sinus infection. It snows, it rains, but it is always gloom. How in the world could anyone say anything wrong about Ann's dress. Actually, I even liked Hele Mirren's dress. I didn't care for Jessica Alba, but Penelope Cruz, Jennifer Garner, even Hilary Swank, looked very glam, IMHO. I liked Heidi Klum with that "Portrait neckline" too. Ruby Dee looked elegant. Tilda Swinton's "dress" was the only true disaster I saw. Cate looked really beautiful.
Isn't the time difference thing strange? It is three hours earlier out there then from where I am. LOL!

Anonymous said...

Oh. I forgot Laura Linney. Very elegant.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hey Bobbyanna - great to see you! It is weird this shift in time - And I still don't know if I'm coming or going. I would have really loved you to be here too :D That would have been a lot of fun. I'm so sorry to hear how unwell you've been :( It is so gloomy, that's a big reason why I've come away - I've been sick off and on constantly since Christmas. But this trip and now changing jobs when I get home is a wonderful thing for me.

I think there were some gorgeous dresses last night. I love the big glamour of the event. I think Tilda's was the only dress I didn't like. I'm not a Helen Mirren fan ;) but I did like the frock. Laura Linney, Ann and Cate Blanchett were gorgeous!

Xenia said...

Hi WDW, I can tell you are enjoying a nice and healthy trip across the States, good for you!:)

Grey and foggy day today here in Bologna so I guess I'm sort of jealous of you...

Very interesting small interview with Jake today...I think that fans could learn a lot from their idol, if only...;)

Anonymous said...

Omg! Jake was AT the Urth Cafe yesterday! How did you miss him?! I just added pics to IHJ .. I think it's the same one you were at (comparing the pics). Omg! So close .. yet so far. That's crazy. =P

- Stephanie

Anonymous said...

Four thirty am in LA and gonna be sunny and clear. wake up, WDW. painful to look out onto frozen hemlock woods when you're n sunny CA. on the other hand, I have a really lost list of lovers that cause me to cringe when I see a blvd of palm trees.

However I am so happy you take us with you, and Im loving your posts. Our boy sounds sturdy and himself in Aus. interview and looks fine in latest photos -

Hello every sweet peeps - near and far - xxx - and Jake, too.

Anonymous said...

From NZCity News I have pinched the article below, published on several other sites as well:

Quote

Jennifer Aniston's Oscar relief
Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie pulled out of their highly-anticipated meeting with Jennifer Aniston at a pre-Oscars party on Saturday night (23.02.08).
26 February 2008
Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie avoided an embarrassing Oscar meeting with Jennifer Aniston by pulling out of a party they were all set to attend.

The pair - who are expecting their second biological child - were due to meet Brad's ex-wife Jennifer at a pre-Oscars party at the Beverly Hills Hotel on Saturday (23.02.08), but instead decided to go to the nearby Film Independent Spirit Awards.

Jennifer spent an hour mingling with stars including George Clooney, Jake Gyllenhaal, Seal and Heidi Klum before retreating back to the one of the hotel's private bungalows.

Meanwhile, Angelina proudly displayed her baby bump by wearing a tight black dress at the Spirit Awards.

News of Angelina's pregnancy has reportedly angered Jennifer, who is so determined to have children she has allegedly had some of her eggs frozen.

A source close to the 39-year-old actress told America's Star magazine: "Having the eggs frozen was a really smart move for Jennifer, because it buys her a few years to figure things out before she rushes into having children.

"She's giving herself a big break from the intense pressure to find her Mr. Right and start a family. She's in a good place now."

Jennifer has recently been romantically linked to 'Sex and the City' star Jason Lewis and 'Thank You For Smoking' actor Aaron Eckhart.

Angelina and Brad have three adopted children, six-year-old Maddox, Pax, four, and three-year-old Zahara, as well as a 21-month-old biological daughter Shiloh.

Unquoute

URL: http://home.nzcity.co.nz/news/article.aspx?id=82150&fm=newsmain,nrhl

twistedlogic said...

Hey WDW! Loving your Tour Diary! Can't believe you missed Jake at Urth yesterday:( (thanks for the pics, Stephanie - he's looking seriously HOT *drool*)Talk about bad timing:( Or maybe it was the fact he was carrying a newspaper rather than a coffee cup that threw you! Never mind, there's still time. Just look out for the bright blue phone, you should see him a mile off if he's carrying that;D

Anonymous said...

Looks like he does crosswords - that would be a conversation starter, WDW. Love the color of that sweatshirt and the frayed neckline.

paulh said...

I'm glad that Jake thinks we fans are sweet to worry about whether he's happy or not. Actually, I'm delighted that he feels a full range of emotions, and is always in touch with his emotions. There are so many people who try to repress what they're feeling. :-(

Anonymous said...

Jake was at Urth! Thanks as always Stephanie! Man, WDW oh so close. :( Well, I'm putting out the posi vibes that you will see him. ;) As for the pics, he looks really great. Love that smile and sexy way he just has. And I think it is totally sexy that he does crosswords. ;p

Anonymous said...

Paul, I agree re Jake's Aus. interview. I think he has a good head on his shoulders.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Morning/afternoon all :D

I've only one thing to say right now and that's AAAAHHGGGHHHH!!! and pass me a gin and tonic.

I just missed Jake AGAIN! Sob....

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Back again - having put the new pics up - judging by the shadows we were there at completely different times of the day - the seats were in sun when I was there and that was about 10am.

Thanks Stephanie :D The Variety I bought you from just across the street there. So close and yet so far is turning into this trip's motto :(

Hey Xenia! Sorry the weather's not so good in beautiful Italy. I saw Jumper at the pics yesterday and it included some scenes in Rome and it brought back some memories.

Hi herman - could you just do links and not reprint the article? Thanks - that way I can keep the gossip out of the site and out of the comments. A similar article was linked to in the post a couple of days ago.

Morning /afternoon TL. There was a woman at the cafe yesterday with an identical phone to Jake's. I don't know if I could cope with a phone that blue but I suppose it's less easy to lose.... I just missed him, sob :(

hey Pia - that's a great idea, I could offer to help him out with the clues (although I can't do any sports questions). I love that old jumper on Jake.

Morning Paul :D

Hi get Real - please keep those good vibes coming - I clearly need them!

Anonymous said...

'Thanks Stephanie :D The Variety I bought you from just across the street there. So close and yet so far is turning into this trip's motto :('

Awww! *hugs* But hey, you got to see Orlando during this trip so I'm still jealous of you. ;) And there's still a few days left, you might run into him. Don't give up!

That's cool, right across the street! Thank you again for picking a copy up for me, I really appreciate it! It's not sold here .. =(

- Stephanie

Anonymous said...

Hey WDW I am so glad you are having fun exploring "Jakeland" too bad you and Jake missed each other at Urth, maybe you could have helped him with that puzzle.

I am wondering, you took a photo of that building on North Bedford, with the parking garage next to it, what kind of building is it? I know Jake goes into a medical building in that area but that is not it. I thought maybe he can cut through to go to the parking garage. Cause I know he went to a Rite Aid store to get some stuff.

Thanks for posting

Trekfan

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hey Stephanie - yep seeing Orlando (and Nicole) makes up for a lot :) You just never know who you're gonna see round these parts...

Hi Trekfan. That picture of the garage is next to Rite Aid. So you walk down the hill past Rite Aid, past that garage (that we've seen Jake going in and out of a lot) and further down the street on the right is one of the two medical centers he goes in quite a bit on that road. Opposite it is another one he uses. These aren't just medical centres though, they're dentists, alternative medicine places etc etc. The alley way is a street over to the left if you're walking down the hill. There's also an excellent card shop down there and a rubbish cafe that outs sugar in your tea even when you tell them no.

Thanks for the comment :D