Tuesday 25 March 2008

Jake - 'I found myself identifying with the people of Crawford' - and working in the movies

Today, we learnt a little bit more about Jake Gyllenhaal's role as advisor on the recent film Crawford. The documentary, premiered in Austin, Texas, this month, records what life was like for the people of this Texas town when Bush, shortly to be President Bush, moved in, putting the 'sleepy town' on the political map and pushing it into the election circus. We've discussed before how Jake, along with other stalwarts of Martha's Vineyard (Mary Steenburgen, Ted Danson and Brad Silberling), was on the advisory board but in this interview we discover more about the motivations of first time filmmaker David Modigliani and the role of the advisory board, in particular Jake Gyllenhaal.


'I sent an early cut of the film to all of them. I had pathways to get them the film, and they responded really positively. I think they were excited about the nonpartisan nature of the film, and Jake said to me, "I found myself identifying with the people of Crawford, who I never would have thought I'd identify with. Because of this whole ride of the Bush era, I could see my experience in theirs, or I could see their experience in mine." That's what he was excited about. So I created an advisory board because they didn't put any money into it, they weren't going to be producers or executive producers. But they were excited about the film and gave notes on that early cut. Since then, they've given me advice about approaching festivals and distribution. They really acted in an advisory capacity.'


'I grew up knowing Jake a bit [during summers in Martha's Vineyard] when I was a kid. But my parents don't really know — I mean, I wouldn't consider them family friends. I would consider Jake a friend.' And now Jake has a chance to use his influence to support his friend practically and professionally.


Over the last couple of days we have been discussing the growing number of actors linked to Nailed, not to mention the chance of locals to get in on the act in a week of castings for extras, which reminded me of this interview with Seth Rogen, who was an extra in Donnie Darko. His job was to lurk in the background and his motivation was, bemusement and bafflement. This was clearly intentional on the part of director Richard Kelly.


'You know, honestly, I did that movie – I mean, my part in it is so minute – but I was kind of just around a lot, one of those things where I’m just caught in the background of a lot of shots, just, like, in the high school a lot. So I was there a lot. And I really had no idea what the movie was about! I didn’t get it at all! And I remember being at a party with the director (Richard Kelly) about halfway through shooting, and I was really drunk, and so was he, and I was just, like, “Dude, I don’t get it, man!” And he was, like, “I don’t think anyone’s gonna get it, man! I’m really scared!” It turned out great; I think it was just beyond me...and still is, to some degree! But it definitely makes sense on a much greater level now. It’s amazing. I knew it seemed good; I just didn’t understand why it was good. It just seemed like something interesting. It’s really funny to me that that turned into this huge cult thing, and that people in England are grafitti-ing “Donnie Darko” on walls. It’s great. I couldn’t be happier for Jake (Gyllenhaal) and Richard Kelly; those guys are great guys. I’m glad I was there to watch it, even though I had no clue what I was watching at the time!'


And finally

Maggie Gyllenhaal has been speaking more about what it was like to act in a whole new genre of movie: 'They took really good care of me. I thought I might get bruised up but in fact, I didn't. They really knew what they were doing. I was scared to do some of the action stuff I had to do, and I did it once, and I was like, 'Oh, this is a blast!''


Thanks to Monica for the link. Includes pictures from IHJ.

34 comments:

Monica said...

Thank you Wet Dark!

I think you should have curiosity to know who is this that put Monica and not commented.
I moderating the largest forum of Jake here in Brazil which is composed of more than 9,000 Brazilians, which belongs to the site of relationships orkut.com.

I love reading their posts because you comes the Jake with a lot of respect.

Kisses

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Monica in Brazil! I know that there is a very large group of Gyllenhaalics on Orkut, I quite often get visits from there and I'm so pleased to hear from their moderator :D Thanks for commenting and I'm so glad you enjoy the site!

And I think this means that there is more than one poster here called Monica :)

twistedlogic said...

Hey WDW! Hope everything went well today:)
Thanks for this post, I just watched the trailer for Crawford again, it looks really fascinating.Sort of like the acceptable face of reality TV;) I hope Jake's involvement will mean that it gets lots of publicity and we get a chance to see it over here. It's good to hear about Jake doing his bit for things he believes in. If this acting lark doesn't work out, he could be the new Michael Moore;)

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi there TL! It went OK and there are lots of good pubs nearby ;)

That's true about Crawford - it is like a form of reality TV but yes acceptable :D It's so interesting how much Jake got into it and saw himself in the people of this small town - that sounds to me like someone who could be a filmmaker. But not, I hope, for a very long time as I would love to see him on the big screen for years :D Although I suppose he could do both...

Monica said...

I think this wonderful attitude of Jake to support his friend.
More amazing is how he helps unintentionally something in return.

BirdGirl said...

Hello,

I am glad your day went well Kate.

I love today's post. Especially the bit on Seth Rogan. I felt like such a dumb ass the day I realized he was in DD. I had seen it about a thousand times before noticing. I guess I wasn't looking at him. ;)

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Monica :D It is so good that Jake can use some of his experience to help draw attention to his friend's film.

Hey there Bird Girl - thanks! I loved this quote by Seth - I can imagine how bewildering Donnie Darko was to film. One of the fun things about the film is spotting the people in the background in more than one scene. Oh yes, it's hard to look beyond Jake :D

twistedlogic said...

Hey WDW! Glad to hear your day went well (even gladder to hear about the pubs;)). If George Clooney can act and direct so can Jake (actually, I'd love to see them in a film together, but that's another story..).

Don't feel bad about the Seth Rogan thing Birdgirl, I still don't recognise him. I'll have to watch DD again:D

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Ah, TL, Jake and George in the same movie - I would love to see that :D I don't think I could spot Seth in DDarko in a million years - we should do a Spot the Seth competition :)

Anonymous said...

Seth plays Ricky Danforth who is with the evil whatsisname at the bus stop harassing Gretchem, saying she has "nice boobs" - maybe other scenes, also, I dunno.

Ruby said...

hey wdw. Glad your first day went a-ok. Wow. I can still type!!

BirdGirl said...

Seth is one of the "bad guys". He's the fat one. He's the one who asks the quesion about the invention.

BirdGirl said...

Wow Pia did you look that up on the Internet Movie Database. I didn't know he had a name.

"nice boobs"

Ha ha ha

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Agggh - blogger ate my comment :( deep breath...

Hey Pia, I remember the busstop scene but didnt know that was Seth.

Ruby! Happy Birthday!! Are you a little merry? You can still type but you're missing some capitals. Can you see the sea?

Bird Girl - that's so funny - is all that on IMDb? And he asks about inventions? I think we should have a movie club and all watch DDarko and look for things that shouldn't be missed :D

Monica said...

My dream is to see Jake and Ewan McGregor in the same film.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

That's a great idea, Monica! I love Ewan - I spend quite a bit of time on motorbikes and so I love Ewan's biking series. It would be so good to see Jake and Ewan in a film together - as long as Jake has got over his Moulin Rouge disappointment of course...

Anonymous said...

Hey birdgirl no I have the DD screenplay, Im a DD nut - I realize he must be the guy who helps Seth Devlin snort coke in one of the first scenes, too. must watch again. I liked Rogan in Knocked Up alot. yes, its all coming back to me now.

Jake is friends with guy who plays Seth Devin, Alex Greenwald. in the production notes there is a bit where Alex asks Jake "wanna fly", apparently offering drugs, and Jake yells at camera person.

Anonymous said...

Glad you have a good start today at work, WDW!

"Crawford" sounds really interesting, i am sure they will get it over here. You know how much we are interested in "Bush" stuff... :P

Actually, can you picture Jake becoming a producer one day and work on worthwhile projects like this? mmmm....

Is Seth Rogen one of the kids at the bus stop that bullied that girl? I didn't notice him either.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

OMG Pia, that comment of your's makes me want to go off and watch Darko again right now! I haven't seen Knocked Up yet but I'm keen to. Interesting about Jake and Alex. Roll on the weekend when I can see it again.

Hi Winterbird! We have got to see DDarko again :D I would love to see Jake producing good movies - just as long as he acted in them too.

G'night all - thanks so much for the fun evening - I'll catch up with you later!

Monica said...

I am a fan of Ewan since 1997, when the cable tv attended by the film Shallow Grave.
I am passionate for it!!
Last year he was in Brazil recording a commercial.

Anonymous said...

It's always cool to hear about Jake's friendships. Good to hear from Seth and DD. Still such a kick ass movie.

WDW, hope you had a great first day at the new job.

Do you have a link to the Maggie quote? Also is that a new picture of her or old?

I really hope we can get to see Crawford at some point. Hopefully it will be released.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Morning everyone - hope you had a good night :D

I love Ewan too, Monica. He's extremely popular over here in the UK but seems to be very down to earth as well :D

Morning Get Real! Thanks about the job :D Sorry about not putting the Maggie link in the post - opps - it's in there now :) I really enjoyed the Seth quote - love DD too.

Have a good day everyone and catch you all later :)

agent_krycek said...

WDW - you should definatley try and catch Gavin and Stacey, it's the most adorable comedy, with the best cast, including Alison Steadman and the wonderful Rob Brydon, who plays Uncle Bryn, seriously can't wait until Sunday to see his reaction to BBMt :D Really hoping Jake gets a name check, which will make my week.

KeepCalm+CarryOn said...

Hello WDW (although you'll be slaving away at the new job as I type this),hello all.

Just caught up on the last 2 great posts,WDW. I loved that Italian "Brokeback" interview,as you've said before,when Jake meets an enthusiastic and thoughtful interviewer, he gives his most honest,from the heart and revealing answers. Journalists of the world,take note!

Must say hello to this week's two birthday girls. I'm sorry I missed you on the actual day Ruby,but hopefully you had a great day and feel fabulous at 40! And to Pia,also celebrating this week,I say thank you(I think!) for your compliments about my comments on "Brokeback"! I say,I think,because you recognised me as a fellow "Drama Queen" - which in the UK at least is hardly flattering,it usually refers to someone who makes a fuss over trifles,over-reacts to situations and puts on a performance for everyone,over-dramatising and exaggerating their importance. However I think(and indeed hope!) that you meant we are ruled by our emotions,feel everything very deeply and things come from the heart. If that's your definition of a drama queen,then I'm guilty as charged! ;-)

I loved the insight into "Crawford" in this post too,WDW. It's the sort of "people-watching" documentary that I would find interesting anyway,even if Jake had no association with it. The fact that he felt a real connection to the people in the film and their experiences and had an advisory input into its creation and marketing make it even more of a "Must See".

I share the hopes of many of you here that Jake will "Do A Clooney" and continue to act in great films while eventually finding a way to combine production and direction projects with his own performances. And Jake and George or Jake and Ewan.....either would require a Phwoaaarrr!! - and be totally artistically worthy of course,the "yum factor" would be just a bonus! ;-)

KeepCalm+CarryOn said...

Oh and thanks for the heads up on "Gavin and Stacey" Agent K. I've only caught the odd trailer or extract but I think Rob Brydon is a genius,and the thought of his character watching BBM sounds like the stuff of comedy gold,so I must try and catch it on Sunday.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi there Agent K - this really does sound worth watching - especially if recommended by a fellow Top Gear afficionado! I love to hear Jake's name mentioned on TV :D

Hey Nadine! I'm so glad you liked the posts and the interviews. It is very interesting that Jake was personally affected like that by Crawford. I would love to see it.

Speak to you later :D Hope everyone's having a good day!

Ruby said...

thanks Nadine I'm feeling pretty fabulous so far :D Well, except at about 7 am this morning when I first woke up, but it was nothing a bit of ibuprofen couldn't deal with.

Hi WDW, hope your week is going ok.

Jake and Ewan McGregor together sounds good (and ever so slightly slashy) to me! :D :D

Anonymous said...

Nadine, of course this was meant as a compliment, although when I, myself, have been called a drama queen or "operatic" by a stiff upper lipped contingent, it's not been. But of course I mean to say, indeed, that I love your passionate nature and posts!

Anonymous said...

sorry for quick click, you know who I am

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hooray - back home - tok 45 mins instead of 2 and a half hours:D

Hey Ruby - good to see you and glad to hear you're no worse for wear after a good night. My week's going OK but I'll be glad when you're back :D I'm ready for more tapas...

Hi there, Pia - I don't half love your passionate posts too :D

Get Real, I forgot to say where the Maggie pic was from this morning - it was taken at the New York fashion show earlier this year :D

Anonymous said...

WDW, hope they are treating you well - difficult to say on day 2, I know!

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Anouska! They're treating me OK, but I certainly miss being able to run off for a glass of wine and Jaking with you :(

Anonymous said...

It was such a treat having alot of you for awhile, WDW. Tell your new colleagues FROM US to hug you in the morning and kiss you at night give you plenty of loving & treat you right, - etcetc

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Thanks so much, Pia :D I hope they listen to you. It was so good spending all that time here over the last month - what wouldn't I give to be able to do that all the time :)