Sunday 2 March 2008

Jake - 'If Kinsey can do it' then so can Brokeback

Well I'm back in Blighty, which means no longer do I have to have eyes in the back of my head - no longer will I be wondering to whom that camry parked outside Urth cafe belongs and no more will I do double takes as I walk past exclusive cookware stores. Although, should Jake decide he wants to have a break from all that sunshine and coffee carrying, I'd quite happily do the same thing in England anytime. Thanks for everyone who shared in my LA Road Trip and made it so much fun.


I was rewarded on the plane with Rendition (and Lust, Caution for that matter) just as, when I got home, I was finally able to hold in my hands a copy of the Rendition DVD. Tonight, at last, I'll be able to see the famous deleted scenes and, tomorrow, I can listen to Gavin Hood set each scene.


To get even more in the mood, here is the link to a video from the red carpet of the LA premiere of Rendition, featuring brief interviews with Jake Gyllenhaal, Reese Witherspoon and the lovely Omar Metwally - it feels strange now, for some reason, looking on Jake with that amount of facial hair. But here Jake describes how he got his inspiration for playing such a character as Douglas, joking that he tried to steal what he could from The Spy Who Came in From the Cold.


While we are in no doubt as to the longlasting talent of Jake, it never hurts to here him praised elsewhere. This week Entertainment Weekly came up with their list for the top 30 under 30s - featuring both actors and actresses. Jake is placed 8th and Brothers gets a mention. You can see the full list here.



I was furtling around EW and came across an old quote of Jake's from January 2005, about Brokeback Mountain, which I had not heard before: 'It's a love story,... We've all gotten used to the same old love story over and over again in movies. And Ang was tired of that. This is the only way to get to the heart of what love's really about — to do it in a different way. We use lines like 'Love has no bounds,' but that's become bulls---. For me, this is a story where that might actually be true. Hopefully,... it will stir people up. If Kinsey can do it, then I think this movie probably will too.'


Here is a selection of quotes that Heath made to EW over the years about his many and varied roles. Of his role as The Joker, Heath says: 'I enjoy falling behind masks. I enjoy really dressing up and stepping into someone else's shoes. I know it's going to require a wild dance, and it's going to be really sinister and very dark. It's nothing I've done before.'


Includes pictures from IHJ.

19 comments:

Jake's Retoucher said...

Angela Kinsey, Alfred Kinsey, oh, Kinsey the film! It took a while to figure out which "Kinsey" Jake was talking about.

I still haven't seen Rendition. Or Zodiac. Or...a few others. *hides head in shame*

WDW I was wondering, and I apologize if you already talked about this, but did you ever see Jake in TIOY when he was in your neck of the woods?

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hey Jake's retoucher (great name :D) - that's funny about the Kinsey; I didn't realise there were so many. You've not seen Zodiac! You should see that straight away, and Rendition. To my deep regret I didn't get to see TIOY - how I wish I had... Thanks for commenting :)

Ruby said...

I know I'm a little late to this particular discussion but .... Mr Ruby is making sweet potato fries tonight! Maybe next time you come for dinner Wdw..

Welcome home. Looking forward to hearing about the parts of your trip that you are not mentioning on the Internet. ;) see you real soon.

Anonymous said...

Welcome back WDW. I've always wanted to go to LA so very jealous of you.

For anyone who's interested Empire magazine this month has a tribute to Heath Ledger as 'A Life in Pictures' kind of thing. Few words, but several pages of nice photos from his films and behind the scenes. If you subscribe to the magazine you get a beautiful front cover tribute to him, but the version you buy in the shops just seems to be RDW as The Iron Man.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hey Ruby - sweet potato fries?? Maybe you should take a picture. Is Mr Ruby serving them in a cart? Can't wait to see you!

Hi LJF! Good to see you. Thanks for the info about Empire - that's a shame about the cover. I might give them a ring.

Ruby said...

Mr R is sure he saw the Heath Empire cover in a shop in Soho somewhere. He just has to remember where.......

LJF, lovely to see you.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the update WDW!

I ejoyed reading Heath's quotes. He was a cool guy. I'll miss him terribly!

Anonymous said...

I love Heath's movements, have the Tem Thngs I Hate About You video in my favorites and watch it often. The playful wrestling scene on BBMt was wonderful - two long legged young male animals -

Anonymous said...

^ ^ ^

sorry. that's me sleepy from sun and snow going to bed g'nite ladies and laddies

Anonymous said...

I think both Jake and Heath summed up BBM when they said it was a love story. That was its' core. two people who fell in love and the trials and challenges of a love that ultimately was not meant to be truly realized.

Thanks also for your continued postings of Heath stuff. I had not seen that list of quotes from EW

Trekfan

paulh said...

Welcome back, oh jetlagged WDW ;-).
I looked at that list of 30 top actors under 30, and waqs disappointed not to see two of my favorites: Cal Penn (The Namesake," Harold and Kumar go to the Wyhite Palace"), and Anton Yelchin ("Charlie Bartlett"). But I was happy with many of the ones who were listed.

Gosh, Dan Radcliffe is so young, he'll be on that list every year for the next ten years ;-).

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi everyone - I have bad jetlag so passed out last night at 8.30 and now awake at 3am!

Hi Anon, I miss Heath too. I love those quotes and it reminded me of so many good films.

Night, Pia. Sorry I missed you :)

Hi Trekfan, I'd not seen those quotes before; I'll always include Heath info :D

Hey Paul :) Thanks for the welcome home. It's an interesting list. I do like Dan Radcliffe and hopefully he'll continue with the interesting projects.

Anonymous said...

WDW!!! Glad you made it safely back. Assuming you flew LAX to NYC to London, as luck would have it, Jake and Reese were spotted in NYC shopping on Sunday. I wouldn't be at all surprised if they arrived there on Saturday. Which means they were probably following YOU! LOL! I haven't yet seen Lust, Caution, so you'll have to tell me if it's any good according to my rating system. If a film is "important" I buy it. If it is really good, I pay to rent it. If it is just good, I wait until it is on Cable. If it is "meh!" I might catch it if nothing else is on.

Can I just say. One of the things I just love about you is that you have a way of including us all in, and this really great ability to make us feel like a part of things, whether it's the BAFTA red carpet, or Cannes, or TIFF, or Rome or WDW's Wonderful Hollywood Adventure! You have a generous spirit. That's a good thing!

Anonymous said...

welcome back!

oh.. i have to say you caught me a bit off guard with the Joker pictures... :( was debating whether i should go catch "I'm not there" in Prince Charles this coming sunday, but I have a deadline to meet..

I liked the film "Kinsey". Peter was really good in it.

Anonymous said...

Bobbyanna: One of the things I just love about you is that you have a way of including us all in, and this really great ability to make us feel like a part of things, whether it's the BAFTA red carpet, or Cannes, or TIFF, or Rome or WDW's Wonderful Hollywood Adventure! You have a generous spirit.

Ditto!

sass said...

Morning WDW and everyone:)

I'm glad you made it home safe and sound and had a good night's sleep:)

I'll try to find Empire Magazine this week. Thank you LJF:)

Up checking on Jake...he's in the city since yesterday * meep*.

I thought he'd never come back here again. Getting ready for my doc visit this morning, is made somewhat pleasurable, by the thought that I might just see those two around town.

They were spotted at 34th and 8th avenue, one block over from Macy's by a Perez informant. I have to go to Macy's' today...it's too bad I missed them when they were in the area:(

Anyway, I'll stop whining. I yelped where they ate last night--Prune--after I saw the Getty snaps and drooled all over myself. Love that foodie Jake.
Back to see ya later.
Thank you so much for all the fun last week. I can't wait until next years Oscars. You're the best:):)
Reese is at the UN tomorrow scheduled at 1030AM, so maybe we'll get some more Jake snaps:)
xoxoxoxo
sass

Prune

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi everyone - I'm a heap of jetlag pulp on the floor! I've just woken up again at 1pm! Fortunately Ruby's got the pleasant job of trying to prop me up at a bar later on :D

Hi Bobbyanna - when I was up for a couple of hours in the night I saw that Jake and Reese were in NYC and my first reaction was Jake Gyllenhaal, you've done it again!! He must've followed me to LAX - he was following those breadcrumbs I left behind - wrong terminal but hey!

I didn't see all of Lust, Caution because it's just not the kind of movi I want to watch on a plan on that tiny screen, but what I saw looked quite mesmerising (I also saw Beowulf and I loved that totally unexpectedly, as I studied that poem at University)

That is a lovely thing to say - thank you so much for following my Jake adventures - he's a pleasure to follow and I love to share it :)

Hi Winterbird - thanks for the welcome! I do hope you get to see I'm Not There sometime - I think it's out on DVD in May. I can't wait to see it again even though it'll feel different now.

Good to see you Beckela - thanks :)

Morning Sass - yep, Jake's in your town now :) I'm glad he waited till I left LA! Good luck at the docs.

Have a good day everyone :D

twistedlogic said...

Glad you made it back safe and sound, WDW:) Gutted you didn't see Jake despite all the near misses. I'm sure he'll be quicker off the mark next time;) At least you had the DVD to come home to, have you worn out the first scene yet?:D

Thanks for the Heath quotes *sob* It still hurts when I think of him :(
Thanks LJF for the heads up about Empire mag - I'll definitely be on the lookout for that.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi TL! Yep, tough to keep missing Jake but I'll just put it down to practice :D I'm looking out for Empire too.