Friday 7 March 2008

Jake - 'I'm floating in a pan of giant cranberries'

Yesterday, I did a post about The Day After Tomorrow and Jake battling the elements. As a followup to that post, here is a brief video which shows the making of one of my favourite scenes in that film - the phonecall scene, with Jake immersed in a rising flood of water. [You may have to click on the video a couple of times to get it moving.]



The interview I posted yesterday, about Jake's aspiration at that time to play a leading man, made me think today about earlier in Jake's career and the certain 'something' that he brought to roles such as Joe Nast in Moonlight Mile and the impression that Jake made on other, far more experienced actors. In December 2002, Jake was featured in People's Sexiest Man Alive issue, accompanied by this quote from Moonlight Mile co-star Susan Sarandon: 'He's gorgeous, and he's got those big dreamy eyes. A lot of eyes can't offer 'I love you' in a convincing way. With Jake, you believe he has the capability and the depth to love. That's awesomely attractive.'


In 2002, a wise-cracking, 'good-natured', 'reflexively smart-alec' Jake Gyllenhaal ('Maybe it's because he's 21') was interviewed in Toronto by the San Francisco Chronicle about Moonlight Mile and they wanted to know if he is indeed 'the thinking woman's younger man': "Yes, very smart women are throwing themselves at me in a very smart way,... Let's just say the position offers itself up some very nice opportunities, euphemistically put. But then, the smart woman will be able to interpret that." But after reflection: "If it means I can find a lovely, lovely woman to spend my life with, and she has a good mind, then it sounds good."


Jake doesn't seem so happy with comparisons between his own role in Moonlight Mile and the young Dustin Hoffman's in The Graduate, although his high regard and respect for Dustin is pretty clear: 'Hoffman's also in the room, being interviewed at another table. Gyllenhaal, who beams in Hoffman's presence, shouts across the room to his co-star: "She says I remind her of you!" "You're taller, you're better-looking, and when I played your character, I was 10 years older," Hoffman shoots back, without missing a beat.' And it was with the encouragement of Dustin, that Jake took to the boards of the West End.


A wonderful article, in the New York Times Magazine, from September 2003 when Jake had just finished filming The Day After Tomorrow, really brings this young, playful and thoughtful Jake to life. This Jake does everything fom complain about the size of his big head (24 inches), eat meatballs with a toothpick, dance around Ikea to Walking on Sunshine, to collapsing in a box of red rubber balls - 'I'm floating in a pan of giant cranberries'. Jake chose the location of the interview (Ikea at Burbank) because: ''I like Ikea because it feels like the potential of a home,' says Gyllenhaal, who remains undaunted by the actor's itinerant life. 'I've just been roaming the land. I live in a storage bin and eat at Ikea.''


And Jake's upfront and honest about his role as Sam Hall: ''It's not like I'm trying to disguise a movie that is basically a big-action film as some sort of political statement... I do believe that the environment sways and stagnates politics. I mean, if we were using alternative energy, obviously we'd have no interest in Iraq. Hopefully, people will leave the theater and go: 'I'm driving this enormous S.U.V. that guzzles gas, and there are only two people in the car with me every day, and I don't use it for anything else except to kind of look cool. Maybe I should get a hybrid car.' This is exactly what Gyllenhaal intends to do, when the lease on his current ride - a BMW station wagon - is up.'


And Jake's attitude to fame: 'Fame is being able to get into a restaurant... It doesn't inhibit what I do and the way I feel. Needing attention is a destructive, really unhappy way to live. If you watch the ebb and flow of these things, it's like a few seconds in what I intend to be an incredibly long career.'


At this stage in his career, Jake was still keen to play the role of Shakespeare's Romeo: 'I am chomping at the bit... There are periods of time in your life where you can truly and honestly pull certain characters off. Romeo happens to fit right now. I have never performed Shakespeare, but I have an innate feeling that this role and I will get along just fine. I've outgrown quirky - on to the Romantics.'


Famously, Jake turned down the leading role in Bertolucci's Dreamers: 'I'm not shy about taking my clothes off, but if I'm going to see pictures of myself naked on the Internet, I would love to feel like there was a reason for it, that it was of service to the story... [In the past, he would choose] characters that were more screwed up than I am to prove something, rather than accepting that I have certain obvious things that I want to show to people.'

And I love the article's description of Jake's eyes: 'With Gyllenhaal, though, the eyes have it; strikingly blue and expressive, they telegraph hurt and delight, mischief and danger.'


There is no reason to believe that the thought and concentration that Jake put into his role choices does not continue, which makes me very excited and curious about the characters he will don in 2008, before they are revealed to us, later this year and in the coming years: a Brother, an immoral politician, a coloniser of the moon and maybe even a football megastar.

Includes pictures from IHJ.

31 comments:

twistedlogic said...

Hey WDW! Haven't got time to read the interviews right now, but just wanted to say I love that headline!! And I love the thought of Jake dancing around Ikea to "Walking On Sunshine" - I love that song:D

I couldn't agree more with the description of Jake's eyes. That's probably the biggest reason why I fell so hard for Jack/Jake in BBM*sigh*

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi TL! So glad you like the headline - I did change it a couple of times but in the end I went with my love of Jake and cranberries. And it's such a happy thought - Jake dancing round Ikea while looking for stuff to put in his storage box house :D There's a lot about Jake's eyes in the feature today - irresistible! Have a good evening :)

Anonymous said...

Jake can dance around the Ikea furniture in my house! in fact, even my kitchenware are from Ikea - he can cook and dance there as well. And I can just.... watch :)

i love revisiting these old interviews with a younger Jake... oh man, he must have been smothered with love on the set of "Moonlight Mile"! even his love interest is older than him in that film!

Anonymous said...

I snagged one of the pix that accompanied this post, Dustin's face is completely hilarious! Great read, by the way.

Also, I'm commending your blog as a really great and safe! place for any Gyllenhaalic. Thank you for keeping things positive and tolerant. Yours is definitely the go-to Jake blog.

~elfie

Monica said...

I hate The Day After Tommorrow!!
I love Moonlight Mile!

Anonymous said...

The TDAT video is hilarious Poor Jake! Is that the tank of water wherein everybody, including Austin, but not Jake, peed? Jake despite being wet dark and wild DOES have his limits, it seems, and being also, accdording to him, kinda worrying about his health, going under must have been a trial. wonder how many times he had to do it!

Lovely NYT interview. did we get a link, maybe I need my spectacles.

TGIF, and WDW sounds like you're recovering from jet lag. dont know how the constant travellers do it.

Anonymous said...

p.s. I would think that the rushing of water would make you NEED to pee, it made me need to pee, just watching the vido.

Memories of camping out beside Lake George, my husband complained that the sound of water all night long made him have to get up and walk through the woods to the outhouse, fearful of bears all the way, city boy that he was. How he hated the out of doors!

Jake is not exactly a woodsman, contra the Interview pix, of which he said, "that's not me."

twistedlogic said...

Hey Pia! I couldn't find a link in the post either, so I asked myself "What would Douglas Freeman do?" and I googled it:) I'm pretty sure it's the right one, it has the cranberries quote!

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9C03E7D7143BF932A1575AC0A9659C8B63&sec=&spon=&pagewanted=1

Hope your jet lag goes away soon, WDW, and that you're having a good night xx

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi everybody! I've been out at a leaving do for my last job but one :D Lots of nachos, good beer and wine - just about on my feet (Mr WDW has flaked out though...).

Sorry about not putting a link in for the great article - I've put one in now.

Hi Winterbird - I'd love to see Jake dance and sing round my kitchen too :) What a wonderful sight. I love this young Jake just as I love 2008 Jake - a joy to be around. I agree, I bet he was smothered on the set of Moonlight Mile :D

Hey ~elfie! I'm so glad you like the site :D It will always be positive here - Jake is my source of all things joyful. I enjoyed doing this post.

Hi Monica - there must be something about TDAT to like ;D But I do love Moonlight Mile.

Hey Pia - I think poor Jake had to do that shot a few times, it looks very unpleasant :D Jake is definitely not an outdoors kinda person!

TL - I'm sorry I forgot the link! I've put one in now. I had a great night, thanks :D

Anonymous said...

Thoroughly enjoyable post WDW. TDAT and Moonlight Mile are favorites. I can't help but wonder. As Jake himself said, there is a time when a particular role fits perfectly with the age an actor is. I don't know about Romeo, but I would have loved Jake as Benjamin Braddock to Susan Sarandon's Mrs. Robinson. Jake as Romeo would've been interesting. I wonder if he was thinking of a more contemporary rendering of it.

Funny.When I thought of classic Shakespeare (not contemporary), ever since Casanova, I used to picture a young Heath...as Romeo...and more recently, closer in age to playing Hamlet...thinking that much later he could do Macbeth.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Bobbyanna - that's interesting. I can see Heath as a classic Romeo too. But Jake would have to be a modern version, with a whole new interpretation. Jake always looks in the moment to me - as you say, contemporary. There are so many roles I would dearly love to see Jake experimenting with, and I really hope I get the chance to see it.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Still up with the jetlag, maybe I should count BBM sheep :D

Anonymous said...

Wow, what a great post! As you know, Moonlight Mile is one of my favorite Jake movies *sigh*. His post- Brokeback movies are all wonderful, don't get me wrong, that's the Jake I've come to know. But his pre-Brokeback movies I'm especially intrigued by, because it's Jake's work I'm not familiar with, and you can see the beginnings of the talent we know today (and the handsomeness!). Especially Moonlight Mile, and October Sky too. And beautiful, funny Jimmy. Looking forward to seeing him in romantic roles, just don't give up the quirkyness entirely! And whoever this lovely, lovely woman is that he ultimately spends his life with, I'm a little chartreuse with envy, thinkin' that she gets to cuddle up with him every night! ;)
Thanks, WDW!

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Bertie, that is a wonderful comment, thanks! I love the post BBM films too - Zodiac is a film I can watch over and over, but the pre-BBM films, especially Donnie Darko, MMile and October Sky are damn special! I don't want Jake to give up that quirkiness either - it suits him. I do want to see Jake in some romantic roles.

And yes, that lovely, lovely woman who ultimately shares Jake's life, I can't help but envy her while wishing them both joy too. Jake does that to me - I can't help wishing the best for him and his.

As I quietly sit here in the middle of the night, thank you for that comment :D

Anonymous said...

Me too WDW, I wish him and his all the best! He's just made for romantic roles, and I'm looking forward to him in all kinds of roles. Have a good night! :)

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hey Bertie - Never enough roles for Jake! I hope I get a good night, nearly 3am and all I can hear are Mr WDW's snores - I seem to be stuck on LA time!

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Morning/afternoon everyone - I hope you all have a great Saturday :D

agent_krycek said...

See now, if we'd only had Jake in North London a couple of years ago to lead the singing and dancing, the great Ikea riots of Edmonton would never have happened (seriously, the above did happen)

but I would have loved Jake as Benjamin Braddock to Susan Sarandon's Mrs. Robinson

That I would have loved to see, I always felt Jake had far more connection with Susan in MM, love their scenes together, then he ever did with the Pumpernickle woman

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Agent K :D The Great Ikea Riot - Jake would have put a stop to that instantly. I wonder if he could be persuaded to visit the Milton Keynes store... Jake has such a connection with Susan. I would love to see them in a film together again.

Anonymous said...

Morning all. :)

WDW, hope you got some sleep last night. :)

Jake interviews always reveal a fascinating side to that man. Dancing to Walking On Sunshine- doing interviews in Ikea and talking about cranberries?!?! LOL, love it!

It is amazing to see the affection and respect between Jake and Dustin and Jake and Susan. To have a young actor get so much acknowledgment from such great talents like those two.

How I wish I had seen Jake in TIOY in London. Let's just hope he does do Broadway or the West End soon!

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Blogger ate my comment - Grrr.

Morning Get Real! Thanks, got some sleep but now have a stinking hangover (I blame the chillies hidden in the nachos) so I'm typing very quietly.

The picture this interview paints of Jake is absolutely delightful and fun! I can hardly believe it but the more I read about Jake the more I really like him :)

I would love to see Jake on the stage some day - he would have made such a memorable Romeo.

Anonymous said...

Hi ho on a Saturday morning, sweet peeps. Its gonna rain all day but that's okay, springtime on its way.

I dunno about smart alec Jake. I didnt fall for him until BBMt - I enjoy early movies as one enjoys "baby pictures" in a photo album. His developing talent, the roles he's chosen - Bubble Boy and Highway were great fun -

As for Moonlight Mile, I agree with Agent K that his best chemistry was with Susan - and Dustin is always all about Dustin -he speaks in interviews of his charaacter being the older Benjamin of Graduate and was indeed NAMED Benjamin. Love ole Dusty but he DOES have an ego.
He has a son Jake's age and the son is named Jake, actually. I wont go on about how Dustin "wondered" why Jake got top billing in that film, etcetc. Dustin also kidded Jake about how Jake had no dialogue, which is true: he also had no back story: I was very frutrated by the script, as well as Jake's haircut.

For me the finest thing about Moonlight Mile was the gorgeous walking on water introduction - and the song - I know many love this film.

I am very interested in all of the roles that Jake has chosen. Mecurial, quick silver Jake - what a treat!

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Morning Pia :D A grey day here too but it's a very lazy day so it doesn't matter.

That's a really good way to think of Jake's early films - like baby photos. They're all part of what Jake's become and for me it's the grown Jake that I love. But I do like Moonlight Mile very much (except for the haircut and all that brown). Dustin definitely has an ego and he did seem to tease Jake quite a bit. I'm glad he didn't talk Jake out of doing TDAT (the first film where I actually fell for Jake) as he tried to do.

I love the soundtrack and that opening sequence is stunning. Quicksilver Jake :)

paulh said...

Hi, Pia.

I'm glad that you loved the walking-on-water scene at the very beginning of "Moonlight Mile." I loved it too.

True, Jake's character didn't have a back story, but he inhabited the character so thoroughly that he seemed authentic all the same. And, frankly, when I was watching it, I basically didn't notice that he had so little dialogue.

sass said...

Morning WDW,
You make me remember, once again why I've been a Jake fan since forever. I think I was first in line to see Moonlight Mile so many years ago; I couldn't help but cry when he was on the stand. Jake's Homer Hickam is still one of my favorite performances. I watch it whenever it's on cable, even with commercials, even though I own the movie.
And because of his quirky and humorous performances in Bubble Boy, which I like more and more since I bought it, The Good Girl and Lovely And Amazing, I look forward to Nailed.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Paul :) I think Jake did such a good job. As always, the expressions on Jake's face and in his eyes speaks volumes.

Morning Sass! Oh yes, I love October Sky. Jake's films are so seldom on TV here (if you don't have cable, as I don't). I can't wait for Jake's future films though, not least because he has grown into someone I just love to look at :D

Anonymous said...

Interesting piece in the Sunday (now on line) NYTimes on the celebrity-philanthropy connection, with focus on Natalie Portman and her advocacy of micro-financing, & emphasis on empowerment of women.
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/09/magazine/09CELEBRITY-t.html?ref=magazine.

paulh said...

Sometimes a Jake moment can sneak up on you, in a roundabout way...

I was driving to the swimming pool this afternoon (yes, I go swimming even on rainy days ;-)), and the radio was playing some piano sonata that I thought might be by Schubert. Some frenetic, passionate piece. As the movement ended, I realized what the piece was, and what the next movement was going to be: the lovely piece that River Phoenix played in the audition scene in "Running on Empty." The Jake moment was when little 7-year-old Jake threw the pillow at the TV when his mother was passed over for the Oscar for Original screenplay for that filn.. :-(

Anonymous said...

Mens Style in New York Times Mag Section - "men's semi-sheer cashmere briefs" - $250. Maroon. Looks like cashmere and goats blood. Very JG. (lascious grin)

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Evenin'! Been fighting a bug this evening so can only look at the PC in small bursts :(

Hi Pia - thanks for the link. I'm getting really interested in Natalie, the more I hear about her. Because she fels like 'one of the family', I'm going to see the Other Boleyn Girl tomorrow if I feel better. Although I can't stand the other one.

Those are very expensive briefs! Sound rather lovely though (and soft) :D

Hey Paul - I remember that story. That's amazing you recognised the piece. I love thse Jake moments that sneak up on you, and music often does it.

paulh said...

Jake moment #2:

I'm sitting here at work, weeding a shelf of history books, and I come across a battered set of books called "Lee's Lieutenants."
The author is Douglas Freeman.
Naturally this makes me think of Jake as Douglas Freeman in "Rendition. :-)