Saturday 1 March 2008

Jake misses WDW again - and remembering Jake at the Beverly Hilton

Firstly, I have to start by mentioning People's sighting of Jake yesterday: 'Jake Gyllenhaal, eating a burger at Father's Office, a Santa Monica bar. There with a friend, the actor sipped on a beer and split a plate of oysters and a cart of sweet potato fries with his companion, all while avoiding being disturbed, a fellow diner reports. With his meal almost finished, the actor looked happy as he moved on to doing some text-messaging.'


There are several points to make here - first off, this pub is not only in Santa Monica, it's on Montana Ave and someone not a million miles from here (their name begins with a W, ends in a W and there's a D in the middle, if you're still guessing) walked right past the place just the day before. Another point worth making is that, judging by Father's Office's menu, they sell a lot of beers that sound extremely tempting, including Youngs bitter from the UK. And, apparently, the fries really are presented in carts and the burgers are 'treated as an artform'. Also, very good to hear of a happy Jake enjoying a good meal.


Coincidentally, People's post is illustrated by a picture from the same set that I posted yesterday, showing Jake walking past Alter Egos and Judi's Deli on North Bedford Drive. I had an orange juice in Judi's Deli (see picture below) just today and they asked me if I wanted it caffeine-free - a first.


WDWs Road Trip goes posh

My limbs were too won out for much exploration today, stumbling from one cafe to the next was all I was good for. So, after breakfast at le Pain Quotidien on Melrose - another place with a Jake history (as every decent cafe has within a five-mile radius) I focused on Beverly Hills and, in particular, the Beverly Hilton hotel. This hotel is the setting for the Golden Globes (when they're on) - I visited this hotel last year, a day after the awards, at which Jake presented, and I was allowed to pop my head round into the ballroom to see the room still set out for the big event. It is also the setting for the Oscar nominees luncheon and has been for over 25 years. With the exception of the picture above, all of the photographs in this post were taken at the Beverly Hilton. The picture below is a Spot the Jake photograph.



While I enjoyed California Sirah and oysters by the pool (Friday lunch is seafood buffet day at the Hilton and I really, really recommend it), I thought back to 2006, when Jake had sat just a few feet away to be interviewed about his role as Jack Twist. Amusingly, during this interview, pool life continues in the background, making Jake seem a little overdressed.



Today is the last day of my LA Road Trip - a trip that has been motivated and enhanced by Jake, the Oscars and winter sun. Jake never seems to have been far away this week and, at times, it's even been spooky. But despite having been in the same building as him at the same time (Beverly Hills hotel), having been in another building as him just a few hours before (Urth Cafe), having been down the same street as him a day apart - not once but twice (Beverly Boulevard and Montana Avenue) - it's been wonderful. We need to work on the timing though.





Because I chose this week to visit because of the Oscars, here are two new videos from the Oscars 2006, which have just been posted on YouTube. Jake's charisma, style and sheer movie star appeal are plainly evident in both, to us and to the commentators. Here's hoping for 2009. Thanks for travelling with me and, if not before, see you Sunday on Greenwich Mean Time.




Pictures from IHJ and WDW.

16 comments:

BirdGirl said...

Wow, I get the first comment twice in a row.

It has gotten down right spooky with you near misses. I am sure it does feel good to know that he is that close. :) How could it not?

I have enjoyed your "Walking with Jake" vacation. Have a safe trip home.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hey Bird Girl - good to see you again :D My last night in the US - my last evening with the Weather Channel - sob... With any luck the plane tomorrow will let me watch Rendition all the way home. I'm glad you enjoyed my One Step Ahead of Jake trip!

It is spooky and it's good! As I said before, I'm just glad that I didn't hear Jake had decided to spend this week in England :D

Anonymous said...

Beautiful trip, WDW! I'd actually be glad to have missed him; I'd be downright terrified to be in the same place he was! I'd probably say or do something ridiculous, or hide under a table or something. So admiring him from a distance, or vicariously through YOU at award ceremonies, etc. is just fine by me! I'll have to check out the Father's Office's menu; I'm a semi-vegetarian, I don't eat red meat. I'd love the oysters tho(not that I need that kind of encouragement - ha!) and most def the sweet potato fries. I'll miss your reports from LA! Have a safe trip home. :)

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Bertie! I'm gonna miss LA and Jakeland too - and sharing it. It tugs on the heartstrings being so close and yet so far but I look forward to next year's season of red carpets.

I'm a vegetarian that now eats fish (with a vengeance) so, except for the burgers, I love the sound of this place! And yes, who needs oysters when Jake's around ;D (I may give the sweet fries a miss though)...

sass said...

HI WDW,
It's 3Am out there. I hope you're snuggled up and sleeping well.
TY so so much for all the beautiful pictures of Jake's favorite spots, your breezy commentary and accompanying videos.
It's fantastic that you were able to enjoy yourself in one of my favorite places and I hope you have a safe trip home.
XOXOXO
sass

Anonymous said...

Safe home, WDW! * Who'd have thought there'd be a Young's pub in LA :)

Ooh and a vanilla iced banana cupcake please, since you're asking ;)

Anonymous said...

I think Jake is indeed following you. I want you to bring him to London - SW1 area, if possible :P

I love those Oscar moments. Jake was absolutely radiant there.

Have a safe trip home. :P

Anonymous said...

Aww, WDW I have so enjoyed your trip! Thanks for sharing it with us. I truly felt like I was there. :) Sounds like a fantastic trip, minus the Jake misses. I know you will have your moment with him at some point. ;)

I love luxe hotels like the Beverly Hills Hotel. Even if it is just to have a drink at the bar. Sure can't afford to say there, lol. Great pics as always.

Jake's Oscar moments were amazing. He really was stunning and radiated, happiness and style. Thanks to this info from IHJ, even Men's Vogue and Oscar.com noticed!

Have a safe trip home.

Anonymous said...

^^ stay

paulh said...

Have a safe flight back to England, WDW. Thanks for sharing your experiences and photos. I would like to try a Sprinkles recipe, though they probably keep their recipes a secret. :-(

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Morning everyone - or afternoon. Runing late today as so sleepy.

Hi Sass - good to see you - I can see why this is oe of your fave places - it's one of mine too and hopefully it won't be long til I'm back.

Hey Anouska! I wish I could bring you back a crate of sprinkles - much nicer than the Joan one. They do ship to the UK (which is a strange thought) so maybe we should have a party :)

Hi Winterbird - I'll try and leave Jake a trail of breadcrumbs to follow which'll lead right to our day out in a couple of weeks :)

Hey Get Real - it felt like you were here too! I stayed at the Hilton just for a couple of nights last year and it was amazing - so luxurious. Thanks for the link - Jake really knows how to turn on the movie star style - it seems effortless for him.

Hi Paul - thanks! I'll pop into Sprinkles today before going to the airport and see if they have a book :)

Anonymous said...

eight thirty am and cloudy day in LA, a good day to say g'bye, WDW.
back to the British Isles; USA esp. LA is an ILLUSION and you did good, really good!

Lyrics to some song - "we gotta keep doin' it till we get it right"
You and Jake. All these near misses are about getting your relationship right. All will unfold.

It wlll be such a relief to know you out of harms way, earthquakes, santa ana wind, dogs the size of ponies, too much o.j., skin cancer from all that sun, etcetc.

Good flyin', lil darlin. Tnanks for takin' us along.

Anonymous said...

p.s. even in the group picture, Jake's "turnin' it on" he does know how to do it.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Pia! Thanks so much for that lovely comment - yep it's a cloudy cool day in LA - time to get home. Mr WDW assures me that it feels like spring today. I'm ready for the comments when I get home about how I've been away somewhere - I'm that red! I'll be glad to get away from all this orange juice and tea and coffee - back to beer and wine, that's more like it.

Jake does shine in that group photo - the eyes are immediately drawn to him.

Thanks for coming along :D

paulh said...

My eyes must be terrible. Which one is Jake? None of the faces are visible, and I don't have a clue. :-(

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Paul! If you click on the pic it gets really big and - if my counting skills are working as I've been up for a lot of hours - Jake's 7th from the left on the second to back row :D