Wednesday 23 April 2008

It's Shakespeare's birthday and Jake goes green(ish)

I knew it was St George's Day when I walked passed someone in town today who was dressed in full Crusader armour, complete with immense helmet (just a slit for eyes), a red cross on his tunic, a sword and a shield carried on his back. Rather excessive for a warm Spring day I thought. But yet, no sign in sight of anyone doing William Shakespeare a similar honour even though, of course, St George's Day is also Shakespeare's Birthday.


As a lover of the theatre, movies and actors - well, one actor mainly (I know, things about the site give that away) - I wanted to mark this day, which I've always celebrated.



High from the success of his theatre debut in This Is Our Youth, Jake Gyllenhaal in 2004 was so close to stepping onto the West End boards wearing the mantle of Romeo: 'I am chomping at the bit... There are periods of time in your life where you can truly and honestly pull certain characters off. Romeo happens to fit right now. I have never performed Shakespeare, but I have an innate feeling that this role and I will get along just fine. I've outgrown quirky -- on to the Romantics.' This performance would have been for Laurence Boswell, Jake's director for This Is Our Youth.


Lynn Collins would have been the lucky, lucky girl to play Juliet. She, in the small world that is Hollywood, is now cast in Gavin Hood's Wolverine as Silver Fox.

And it is a compliment when Jake compares working with a director to doing Shakespeare, as was the case with David Fincher: 'I think this movie in particular was different for him in that he wanted to be more for the actors. And he gave us a space in which we could work. But he knows what he wants; he’s very clear about it and in a lot of ways that discipline’s sort of like working on Shakespeare. You have to stay within the iambic pentameter; you have to stay within the rules, but within those rules I think are amazing discoveries.'


As for hearing Jake himself quote Shakespeare, the best we can do is Jake's line in Rendition, taken from a speech by Portia in The Merchant of Venice, which contributes to making the 'pie chart' scene one of my favourites from the entire film: 'but I fear you speak upon the rack, Where men enforced do speak anything.' It makes me want more. You can see that scene here:



Cookies

All this talk of directors reminds me that, today, it was revealed by Hollywood Reporter exactly why James Caan resigned from the Nailed project. It all stems from a debate with director David Russell - which Caan obviously lost - on whether one would be able to cough when choking to death on a cookie. I can honestly say this is not an issue that has ever troubled me before today and I think it's fairly certain that it will never trouble me again. The idea of two grown men having an 'artistic discussion' about such a thing makes me want each of them to test their respective theories.


Doesn't it depend on the type of cookie?


I'll own up to feeling slightly more alarmed that Jake is starring in a movie in which the Speaker of the House chokes to death on a cookie. I'm wondering at where the line is drawn between political satire and slapstick.


Green Jake

There is a theme to the photos in this evening's post, prompted by yesterday being Earth Day. Jake's role in raising awareness of environmental issues among filmgoers (through speaking out on the issue during the promotion of The Day After Tomorrow as well as visiting the Inuit to highlight the threat of global warming), led to his selection as one of the stars to receive an amazing 'goody bag' of environment treats. You can marvel here at the full selection of 'Earth Day Swag'. It includes everything from yoga books and mats, odour eaters and dog toys to naked cotton clothing, coffee and barbie doll accessories.


I wasn't too sure if these shorts in the picture below were green so I decided to give them the benefit of the doubt, for some reason that has very little to do with colour. The picture below that one features nothing green at all - I just liked it. Noone wears a hat quite like Jake. Incidentally, Jake's favourite colour is - traditionally - green.



Pictures from IHJ.

34 comments:

sheba said...

Great, green, gooberballs post WDW. I think I know that line off by heart now.

Now, the non-green shorts, I'm conflicted. They're so low but yet so......... hot (especially when he's not wearing a shirt).

Seen any more shining knights this evening?

Nicole said...

hey everyone! wow..I didnt know Jake wears rainbow flip flops..they are VERY popular over here almost everyone has a pair..they are expensive but they last forever and they are basically the only thing I wear in the summer! hes shown wearing them in the picture with his shirt off and the towel! wow he looks hot..

BirdGirl said...

I love how you turned this into a shirtless Jake post. Good Lord he's hott. You rock WDW!

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Sheba! Green, green, green, green, green :D fabulous to see Jake in this colour. he seems to favour blue but he can't go wrong with green. The shorts are kind of green, no? No more shiny knights this evening - maybe I should watch Knight's Tale :)

Hey Nicole! Yes, Jake is a big fan of rainbow flipflops, he's worn them for years. And another yes... Jake looks hot!

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Ahhh, Bird Girl - thanks! I suppose it is a shirtless Jake post. Green and shirtless - great for the environment.

BirdGirl said...

So true.

twistedlogic said...

Love the post, WDW! Who else could link Jake to St George's day so effortlessly? Love the pie chart scene, definitely my favourite scene in Rendition (well, second favourite after THAT scene we all know and love to rewind:D)

It's lucky for me I wasn't eating a cookie (or anything else for that matter) when I read about the James Caan/David Russell fiasco cos I would have choked with laughter - it's so ridiculous it's hilarious :D I'm guessing the scene is a nod to the story about George W Bush choking on a pretzel that time, so it could be fairly topical humour. I'm definitely intrigued, that's for sure!

Love Jake looking gorgeous in green. The shorts have leaves on them, so that's close enough;D

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hey TL! I hadn't heard about the George Bush pretzel incident - maybe that's the reason for the cookie scene and it's not just out of the blue...

I would've spat out a cookie if I'd been eating one, that's for sure :D

You're right - leaves = green :D

twistedlogic said...

Hey WDW! The pretzel thing was a few years ago now, I think he was eating pretzels while watching baseball and ended up choking on one. I'm sure our US friends will know more about it. I'm not making it up - you COULDN'T make it up! I bet our US friends are glad they're getting a new President soon;)

Er, back to Jake...I wonder if he likes to bake organic cookies while wearing nothing but his green shorts? And if not, why not? *trying and failing to stop naughty thoughts involving Jake and Ben&Jerry's chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream*

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Jake baking organic cookies while wearing shorts (green or not green) and eating ice cream is a very pleasant thought indeed, TL. I owe you one for that :D

twistedlogic said...

No worries, have that one on me - it was your post that inspired it after all;)

KeepCalm+CarryOn said...

Just about in time to wish you all a very happy St.George's day and to Will Shakespeare a happy birthday (and to my lovely husband too,though his Mom and Dad resisted calling him William or George!).

As an avid recycler and member of the Woodland Trust I appreciate the green theme of this post,WDW....especially Jake in the leafy shorts. Wouldn't you just kill to bit those hip bones??!! Grrrrrrrrrrrr!!!! ... ooooh sorry,did I say that out loud? ;-)

KeepCalm+CarryOn said...

Or even bite them :-)

Anonymous said...

Oh he is so gorgeous without his shirt on - he's got the most beautiful chest; in fact, he's got the most beautiful everything. How beautiful is he? Let me count the ways . . . Sorry, Elizabeth Barrett Browning, not Shakespeare. And that goes for his inner qualities too. ;) Thanks, WDW!

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Thanks TL :D

Many birthday wishes to hubby, Nadine! er.... yes, you did say that out loud, we all heard you ;D

Hey there Bertie - Oh I love that poem so much, one of my absolute favourites:

'How do I love thee? Let me count the ways.
I love thee to the depth and breadth and height
My soul can reach, when feeling out of sight
For the ends of Being and ideal Grace.
I love thee to the level of everyday's
Most quiet need, by sun and candle-light.'

Sigh... Thanks for reminding me of that most beautiful of poems.

KeepCalm+CarryOn said...

Thanks for the birthday wishes for my hubby WDW - I'll pass them on when he wakes up! No,sadly he's not had too much Birthday booze,just working full time and still doing the lion's share of the housework etc until I'm 100% again has left him spark out in his chair.

I'm a very lucky girl - and yet here I am lusting after another man ;-) - but an entirely exceptional other man,I'm sure you'll agree. It would be a woman with a heart of stone and the sex drive of a slug not to be floored by that pie chart scene and Jake quoting Shakespeare! Methinks I am about to swoon,good sir!

Anonymous said...

Gosh I hope House Speaker choking on cookie is NOT reference to Pres Bush choking on a pretzel (some say he was drinking, he has a history, as I assume everybody knows. . . ) Father, Geo Bush the first, got sick at a meal with Japanese premier and urped and fainted. all very embarrassing for USAans. Let's not rub it in, Kirsten Gore. Political satire is difficult.

O man, comedy itself is difficult. I didnt care for Ihearthuckabees. what did others think?

No man more beautiful than Jake. None!

Watching early J Bardem, Golden Balls, very sleazy film, JB in his 20s. Well kinda a hot tamale, but not Jake.

Comparing JB's film career to that of Jake. Yes, as RDJr said, Jake has moved fast and early. Bless his heart. May his life and career always be so blessed.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Forsooth, Nadine, you are not the only one :D

Do slugs have no sex drive? Surely they must have some or there'd be no little slugs?

hey Pia - I remember that with George Bush Senior - very nasty. I think this is all very difficult and complicated and so I'm desperately trying not to make up my mind until I see the finished product, popcorn and all.

'No man more beautiful than Jake' - I'll drink to that :)

Anonymous said...

It would be a woman with a heart of stone and the sex drive of a slug not to be floored by that pie chart scene and Jake quoting Shakespeare! Methinks I am about to swoon,good sir!

That's for sure, Nadine. I think seeing these pics today made my mind go blank for a few seconds. Happy birthday to the Bard, and to your husband too! My hub is aware of my mild(?) obsession too, ad nauseam. :)

WDW, that's one of my favorite sonnets ever, too. :)

twistedlogic said...

Hey Nadine! Did you ever see that episode of Friends where Ross had a list of five female celebrities he was allowed to sleep with that didn't count as cheating on Rachel? Surely hubby wouldn't begrudge you just the one;)

Sounds like I'm pretty much alone in thinking that the pretzel/cookie choking thing could work really well, as could the whole film if it's based on parodying real life. Maybe it's just my weird sense of humour... I don't think it's rubbing it in about being an embarrassment to the US, sometimes by poking fun at things you can lessen the embarrassment. Besides by the time the film comes out Dubya will be history:) It's hard to tell at this point how it's going to turn out but I'm hoping the humour will be similar to that of Jon Stewart on his Daily Show, which I love - and Jake does too, as we know:)

Anonymous said...

I love Jon Stewart, too. He's the best, and so smart.

No point in worrying about this film. I recall how worried I was about Jake doing well on SNL (following the famous Dick In A Box routine by Justin T) and - oh, man, did Jake deliver!

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hey TL, I remember that episode - could I have Jake, Jake, Jake, Jake and er.... Jake?

Be great to have some Jon Stewart kind of humour. We're used to some pretty caustic satire over here in the UK - about the govt and about the royals, not much is sacred - so I'll be interested to see how this rolls. This is all getting pretty fascinating :D

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Pia - I was so scared at the thought of SNL - needn't have been....

Anonymous said...

seema to me one of the things about political satire is that the scene changes so quickly - the Bushes are already yesterday news, and we're having such a good ol' time poking fun at the presidential candidates.

Anonymous said...

Choking on cookies an cough?? I'd say... if it's american chewy one, then no... but if its a digestive or shortbread, probably. :)

Green is one of hardest colours to wear... but I guess jake looks good on every shade :)

twistedlogic said...

Oh, Jake was just brilliant on SNL! I've watched the Dreamgirls clip a million times and still find it side splitting every time :D And the Bronx Beat one too, and the one with the man and the woman in the wheelchairs...well, the whole thing really!

I love satirical humour too, WDW. Have I Got News For You is one of my favourite TV programmes. And remember those pics of Jake and his dogs with a George Bush chewy toy? I reckon Jake is well up for some political satire. I sooo want to see this film, and I've almost(but not quite!) forgotten about the whole sex obsessed angle of Jake's character and the potential for topless/naked scenes:D

Anonymous said...

"I was so scared at the thought of SNL - needn't have been...."

Me, too, WDW, esp. being, at heart, a New Yorker. I thot if he flops in NYC I'll kill myself.

a little over-reacton there, elizabeth.

o gosh Id rather watch Donie Darko tonight than Uma Thurman chop off heads in Kill Bill 2 -

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Pia - so are Obama and Clinton getting some teasing in the media? We don't tend to hear much of that over here.

Hey Winterbird! Definitely. I think a digestive would definitely make you cough but a Ben's Cookie from Oxford's Indoor Market would be too cohesive.

Jake looks great in so many colours, even green :D I love that JJ top.

sheba said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY WET DARK AND WILD

Sending you this message before I drink one to many glasses of red to toast a wonderful year for Wet Dark and Wild. You've made us laugh, you've made us cry, you've made us drool like a *&^%$£"$^&£&. It's been an.... Education... a love fest... a connection of like-minded individuals all with a love for Jake Gyllenhaal and those around him. I'm proud to be a member of WDW.

Enjoy it Kate, you deserve all acolades xxxxx

Anonymous said...

"so are Obama and Clinton getting some teasing in the media? We don't tend to hear much of that over here."

Lots of laughs on a blog run by Wash. D.C. young policy wonks: http://wonkette.com/

But the NYT columnists get in on the act, as well.

Both Obama and Clinton have been on Jon Stewart.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Blogger ate my comment again! Twice! Just saying that I love satire (the subject of my thesis at Uni) but it has to be 'right' and that anything is better than Kill Bill (which I've never seen so my opinion is hardly valid!)

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Thank you Sheba :D

Oh wow! I'm overcome, I just got your gift, friends, via TL and I'm so happy and crying at the same time. Thank you for the most wonderful present. I'm totally overcome.

Thank you! Thank you!

twistedlogic said...

(((WDW))) You're very welcome! I'm so glad you like it. It's the least we could do to show how much we love you and this site :)
I also want to thank everyone who contributed, for helping and encouraging me with it,and a special thank you to Ruby for helping to organise everything by tracking people down all over the net:)

Happy 1st Anniversary,WDW!!! We love you!!!

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Thank you TL and thank you Ruby - you've rendered me dumb - never easy! Just so grateful - thank you.

I put the new post up which includes your card :D