Wednesday 2 April 2008

Jake - 'anybody who spends any time with women knows how extraordinary that particular sex is'

Two quotes from Jake have just popped up. In the first, Jake reveals that, a couple of years ago, he took a few days off from his world to don chef's clothes and work with his best friend in a restaurant kitchen. "I've always loved cooking. My best friend is a chef and we've cooking together for years. I love food. A couple of years ago, I was in New York, and my friend was working in a restaurant there. Because he works such crazy hours, the only time I could hang out with him was when he was working. So I put on some chef's clothes and worked with him for four nights. It was the best time I'd had in a long time." If only there were a picture or two of Jake in his white chef's jacket, cap and checked trousers. In the meantime, I'll settle for a picture of double-handed wine-drinking Jake.


In the second quote, Jake pays tribute to the power of women, an attitude he developed because of the strong women with whom he grew up, Naomi and Maggie. 'Well, between my mum and my sister, I definitely grew up with a particular sort of woman. They are strong women who really know what they believe, and I like that. They also taught me to respect a woman's mind. Growing up with them, I've always known about the power and the energy that women hold - anybody who spends any time with women knows how extraordinary that particular sex is!" I think a large number of that particular sex find Jake rather extraordinary as well.


With filming on Nailed due to start in only two weeks, a Columbia paper has outlined the difficulties facing the South Carolina film industry and the concerted and dedicated efforts of local officials to draw an ever-growing number of projects to the streets and beaches of the state, including Nailed. This also reminds me of the similar efforts that have had such success in New Mexico, as we saw during the preparation for, and filming of, Brothers.


We now have more pictures, thanks to IHJ, from Jake Gyllenhaal's Mexico spring break. But these come from the beginning of the trip, showing Jake, Reese and entourage passing time by browsing the shops, possibly avoiding eye contact with the magazine covers and treading the First Class carpets of LAX on 24 March.



A theatre workshop beginning in Los Angeles on 7 April features four new musicals and one of them, reports Variety - I could hardly believe it - will be a musical adaptation of Bubble Boy, Tuner. 'Based on the 2001 pic of the same name, "Bubble Boy" follows Jimmy Livingston, who was born without immunities and is confined to a plastic bubble room. After he finds out the girl of his dreams is getting married, he builds a bubble suit and sets off on a cross-country quest to stop the wedding. Tuner, with a book by Cinco Paul and Ken Daurio and music and lyrics by Paul, bows April 9 and is presented again on April 28.'


Includes pictures from IHJ.

22 comments:

Anonymous said...

As an excellent cook myself, I would love Jake to come over and sample each meal I'd prepare for my family who do not appreciate good, fresh food. My turn ladies and gents - line up behind me :o)

Why is James Brown ringing in my head "woman or a girl". Yeah, he knows the secret.

The burning little bug inside the Bubble Suit - poor baby. He was always smiling or joking on that set, seems like he had a lot of fun. Bright and Shiiiiiney :DDD

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi there Sheba! I'd love to cook for Jake too, although I fear it would be limited to fish, chips, mushy peas and rhubarb crumble and custard. I always liked that picture of Jake all hot out of the bubble suits :D

Anonymous said...

Well Id love to cook WITH Jake and dish of choice would be a bouillabaisse esp in springtime with sweet sea creatures' bellies full of algae and lots of smooching in between shopping and chopping and tasting and basting. . .

Thanks for article on SC's courting filmmakers - fascinating stuff!

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Pia! I love that picture of cooking and eating with Jake :D

I was so interested by that article. I never realised before Brothers how several states do set out to rival each other in the competition for movies. Also, it's such a money earner.

Hope you're having a good evening :D

Anonymous said...

It also brings a good tourist income to the region especially the big names movies attract or even the popularity of the movie itself.

For instance, when the first MI was filmed in Prague, it was relatively unknown, not its very popular and you can walk around the different areas of old town and new town and see exactly where filming took place. Additionally, filming movies in selected places can also bring added benefits to a destination such as regeneration of previously run down, neglected areas. Don't know much about SC but it can only really do some good to that area.

Anonymous said...

I wonder if Jake is messy in the kitchen a bit like Jamie Oliver(sexy delicious food but pots and pans everywhere).

Wet Dark and Wild said...

That's definitely true, Sheba. I live in an area where lots of movies and TV are filmed and I think it's encouraged the powers that be to look after the place. It certainly can't do SC any harm!

I think Jake is evry tidy in the kitchen and I bet he's a dabhand at the washing up :D

Anonymous said...

Jake cooking, yes please! He really does need to do some more cooking shows or open up that restaurant. Lots of actors have done it successfully and kept acting.

Bubble Boy the musical, LOL, love it!

Jake really does seem to appreciate women. Good on him!

Still drooling over the shirtless pics....sigh.

Anonymous said...

Hey WDW..lovely post, as always..I think Jake's attitude towards and respect for women is one of the most attractive things about him!! We could use more men with that kind of thinking. Food glorious food..I love to cook too...and I would love to cook with Jakey..it would most probably be Italian..since he seems to like it so much!! Thanks so much for that last pic of our beautiful boy...he looks fabulous....all sweaty..and..oops I better stop there..heh heh heh...

Michele

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Get Real! Shirtless Jake is a pleasure that may have to be reposted very soon! And I'd like to see him in the kitchen more, and appreciating women - all with his shirt off...

Hey Michele :D I love Jake's attitude to women, all credit to Naomi. Italian is my favourite cuisine and Jake could definitely teach me a thing or two. I love that last pic too!

Anonymous said...

not many exciting things happen here in SC... 12 more days until filming starts..i'm so excited!! one glimpse of jake and my life is complete haha :)

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi there Nicole :D It must be very exciting - keep your eyes peeled! I remember years ago living in a small town where Spielberg was doing a movie and it was so thrilling for the whole community. I could've been an extra but I didn't want to cut my hair :(

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Morning everyone! Have a good Thursday :D

Iggy said...

How I love a man that respects women.....how I love a man that can cook..... How I love ....er...JAKE!!!

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Morning Rosie :D Me too! - and I bet he puts his socks in the laundry basket too :D

Anonymous said...

Hi WDW,good morning everyone :-) That Jakey is a very clever boy you know. What he is really saying is that he knows the best way to deal with bolshy women,and make life under the thumb more bearable, is to tell them what they want to hear ;-) And like suckers,we erstwhile intelligent women fall for it every time. Charmer! ;-)

Much more charming to me is the image of Jake and Chris having a ball,slaving over a hot stove together. Now that's what I call cooking on gas! :-D

paulh said...

It wasn't just Naomi. Maggie probably cracked the whip a few times when Jake was a little tot.

Telling women what they want to hear? I plead guilty. If I ever need to tell 'em something they *don't* want to hear, I pretend I'm joking. ;-)

(I never could figure out why many women talk to each other the way they do. Color me gormless...)

I don't think that what Jake says accounts for his appeal. ;-)

Anonymous said...

Chris and Jake, cookin' on all four burners, for sure.

Nicole! lucky you and lucky us to have a scout on site - what's blooming in S.C. now?

Thinkin' of one of my favorite photos of Jake, standing next to his mom, with his toes turned in.

Paul, you're right, I, too, would just as soon look as listen when it comes to Jake, despite he knows that my particular sex is extraordinary. Thanks, Jake (I think).

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi thre everyone - I'm comfort eating as I'm missing you and Jake at work :( Love the image of Jake and Chris slaving over a hot stove. So hi there Nadine, Paul and Pia - thanks for putting some great images of Jake in my head - I like that picture too, Pia.

Jake is a pleasure for far more than one of the senses, that's for sure :D

BirdGirl said...

Wow WDW, this post is making me hungry (amongst other things).

Jake would defiantly have to cook for me for I have not been blessed with such talents.

The thought of Jake and Chris in the kitchen has made me blush.

I also want to complement you on the sweaty Jimmy picture. I haven't seen that one before and I think it needs to be added to my collection pronto.

Have a good day.

Anonymous said...

These posts almost always eventually end up making us hungry and not just for food *whew*.

I think Maggie's influence is huge too. I just have the image of him as a child wanting to take part in Maggie's impromptu productions. He was cast as a cat and having to sit on the side during the whole time licking milk out of a bowl - that's method!!

Also, I'm sure I read that Maggie would "take him out" if he ever did drugs etc... that in itself is a deterent - facing Maggie's wrath.

Within these important influences, Jake appears to be his own man, very determined not to let things get in his way to enjoying his life and not giving a $^!£ what anyone has to say - real class xx

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi everybody - late home tonight as my new work colleagues insisted on taking me out and making me drink real ale. I did try and resist but they outnumbered me in the end :D

Hi Bird Girl - that sweaty Bubble Boy picture i one of my early favourites - definitely one to be savoured :)

Hey Sheba - I like how so many posts and comments here get back to food :D And I'm sure the influence of Maggie shouldn't be underestimated.

I hope you're all having a good evening :D