Friday 27 June 2008

Jake insists 'I'm a very simple chef... the thing that matters is confidence'

It's not going to be long before Jake Gyllenhaal is back in Morocco filming a movie that couldn't be much further removed from Rendition, in a role a world away from that of Douglas Freeman. When Jake appeared on the Late Night with Jonathan Ross show last October, he seemed to show the symptoms of someone who has eaten too many tangines, his daily dish during Rendition's filming. But, despite Jake's well-publicised distaste for a certain herb, it seems that when he was in London working on This Is Our Youth a few years back, Jake developed a liking for a Moroccan restaurant.


Back in August 2002, as part of the publicity for The Good Girl, Jake was interviewed for Los Angeles Magazine in an apartment he was sharing with a bunch of old friends - Jake appears to have been resident chef and washer-upper, although the fact that this was a a temporary arrangement is borne out by the apartment's state of unlivedness and the fact that Jake deplored the lack of a knife-sharpener. Is one supposed to have a knife-sharpener? I thought they were naturally blunt...


Here is some background, as Jake settled down to make the lucky interviewer a breakfast of scrambled eggs with cheese and bacon: 'Although Gyllenhaal's Fairfax-area house looks comfortably suburban (down to the pristine and seemingly unused living room), and the kitchen is a classic '30s model done in narrow white tile, the appliances crowding the counter space aren't mixers and coffee grinders but phones and a fax. The workmanlike decor extends to the dining room, where two of his roommates are huddled over a laptop. Sierra, he explains, has been a friend since childhood; Aristotle's her partner in a clothing design and wardrobe business.'


'The third roommate, Matthew, is asleep, having stayed up for the World Cup. In this domestically distracted environment, the actor's been forced to lower his culinary standards, but then, his career keeps him away from home a lot. Still, he stares at the offending slices [of tomato], shaking his head in disbelief. "I'm using a serrated knife."'


Back to the Moroccan restaurant... When Jake was in London: 'Being on his own exploring a new city was a kick. "There was this bar," he recalls, "that had amazing Moroccan food, and you'd smoke hookahs afterward. It was so chill. It was actually right behind the Ivy--the most famous restaurant in London--down in the basement of this sketchy building."'


Elsewhere in the interview, Jake says of his parents: 'My parents are both really good cooks. I was told if I was going to spend money on anything, I should spend it on food.' Also 'He went to Columbia University but left after two years, realizing "all I wanted to do was act." He squats to retrieve a mixing bowl from an under-the-counter cupboard. "Now I'm trying to reassess that."'

Jake recalls being interviewed by Susan Sarandon for Interview magazine in a women's bathroom: 'People kept walking in, saying, "What's Susan doing with that boy?"' Actually, what I think they said was, 'Lucky, lucky Susan'.


Jake gives a reason for doing the London play: '"Getting a little perspective on this town was important," he says, cracking eggs into the bowl. "I discovered ways of being more myself." Crack. "Being more truthful." He whisks the eggs with a dash of milk. "I think I was searching out the opposite for a while." He returns from the refrigerator holding up a Ziploc bag. "Do you eat cheese?"'


'Aristotle, the only roommate interested in breakfast at this point, is pouring orange juice while Gyllenhaal layers tomato and avocado slices beside the eggs. The previous evening the two attended a screening of The Dangerous Lives of Altar Boys, and what begins as a mature discussion of the film's merits and emotional impact ends with Gyllenhaal teasing his friend with little-boy fervor: "You cried? You cried!" "A little," Aristotle admits with exaggerated dignity....As we carry our perfectly arranged plates to the vintage Formica table, the roommates break into a chorus of Danke Schoen.'

I must say that I love a man who can slice avocado - I've never mastered it but I'm good at making avocado gloup. Incidentally, The Dangerous Lives of Altar Boys starred Donnie Darko star Jena Malone, as well as Kieran McCulkin, who has also featured here.


At the end of the meal, Jake shows himself yet again to be my kind of man: 'He refuses offers of help with the dishes. "I'm a very simple cook," Gyllenhaal insists, tipping the leftovers into the garbage. "But I guess the thing that matters is confidence. Skill can only get you so far."'


I purchased this article - if anyone wants a pdf (without pictures), please email me. Includes pictures from IHJ.

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

I must say that I love a man who can slice avocado..

Me too, WDW - and who can make a good guacamole, even if he doesn't like cilantro. And who loves London. Wow, being served eggs cooked by Jake. *sigh* Fascinating post, as always. :)

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Bertie! I've never been able to slice avocado - it's just too slippy and stoney. I would love to have breakfast cooked by Jake :D And you don't even have to wash up afterwards. Good to see you :D

JoeAnn said...

I've never seen this article before! I'd love to read it in its entirety. Fascinating glimpse into the real Jake. Nice post, as always, WD&W. This blog amazes me daily with interesting bits of Jakeabilia and new takes on familiar information, even during Jake-drought times. Keep up the good work!

:o)

Anonymous said...

As ever, I'm in awe of the unusual stuff you amaze us with, WDW. You rock!

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi JoeAnn! I'd not seen this one before either and it's so adorable. I posted most of it but just email me at wetdarkandwild@googlemail.com if you want and I'll be glad to send you a pdf of it all.

Thank you so much, Narcissa :D What a nice thing to say :)

twistedlogic said...

Hey WDW! I wouldn't mind a copy of this article, please:) What a great find. We're going to have to try and find this obscure Moroccan restaurant next time we're in central London:D

Monica said...

Hello, wet dark!

Great post!
One of the most anticipated moments for me was seeing the Jake cooking. What has pleased me most was that he did this in the programme that Ellen is a very fun person.
It's always good to know a little more of the culinary talents of Jake.

I was reviewing an interview with the jake to 10 years of age and how it was so beautiful, articulate and cute.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi TL! Just emailed you. I love this glimpse of what seems like student Jake :D We have to find this place - I loved all that from when I lived in the Middle East. There are restaurants here with hookahs etc :) Love the scents, smells, flavours and heat.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Monica :D It was great to see Jake the Cook in action after all this time on Ellen. One of my favourite appearances, very sexy and funny. I don't look at starbursts in the same way now!

Anonymous said...

Thot this post was alot of fun, but I dont know about store tomatoes and turkey bacon! Wonder what kind of cheese was in the Ziploc bag? D'you think one of the kids had jogged over to Fortnums for some double glocester or shropshire blue? no?

how come WDW you omitted the bit about the untucked open neck Hugo Grant style shirt? :D :D

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Good morning everyone (just!) after a very long and needed lie in. All ready for a day of Jaking and tennis.

Morning Pia! I like the idea of Jake keeping everything in fridge bags - just the kinda thing I do and then I forget about them. I need them to be different colours... Hmmm, love a bit of double gloucester. I thought you'd like that bit about the shirt - but I couldn't post it all as too long. I can always post other bits later :D

Have a great Saturday everyone!

Anonymous said...

Good morning WDW and WDWers one and all! I had a much needed lie in too,but have chores to get on with soon :-( so just popped in for some edible Jake(is there any other kind?) before I crack on!

Love this article,WDW. Would you e-mail it to me too please?! Must admit, though I love foodie Jake, even he would have to do something very inventive with an avocado to persuade me to eat it ;-) :-D

Anonymous said...

Oh, before I go, I must just go vaguely off topic to say that I read on the BBC teletext service last night that not only is TDK going to be dedicated to Heath but will also be in remembrance of a special effects co-ordinator,Conway Wickliffe, who was killed during filming in London when a stunt went wrong :-(

I'm also really pleased that it seems Christopher Nolan is not only showing a film tribute to Heath at the premieres,but it will also be included in the end-credits in every showing when the film is on general release. Another reason why this will be a must-see film which, however, will be so bittersweet and difficult to watch :-(

On a lighter note,and going back to this lovely cooking Jake article which WDW brought to us,I can never hear the word "avocado" without thinking of Victoria Wood's comedy song "Let's Do It". part of the lyrics being "No cautions just contortions,smear an avocado on my lower portions, let's do it,let's do it tonight!"

It's really clever and so funny in a very British kind of way,so if you Google "Let's do it Victoria Wood" you'll find a link to a Youtube clip of her performing it on "An audience with..." If you need cheering up,or even if you just like risque,self-depracating humour, you should give it a try. I'm can almost guarantee you some really hearty laughs!

Anonymous said...

O yes well in my view avocados are about the sexiest thing going, next to chocolate, Jake, and Chris, and scallops and asparagus and Javier Bardem, and and and

omg settle down pia better get to my Sat morn tasks. . . see y'all later

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi there Sleepy Nadine :D you don't like avacados?? Shame on you ;) I know Jake likes artichokes and I detest artichokes but for Jake I may consider being in the same room as one without passing out.

I've been keeping up with TDK and it's going to be such a culmination of feelings when finally we get to see it. I feel like I'm getting ready.

Morning Pia! I think avacados are really sexy too - love sexy food :D All with a deep red bottle of shiraz.

twistedlogic said...

Afternoon everyone! Just dropping by to say the cheese was good old fashioned cheddar. (quote:"the scrambled eggs are savory with cheddar"). I don't like avocado either, and I can't bear the sight or smell, let alone the taste, of eggs in any form (unless it's holding together the potatoes and onion in a Spanish omelette) so Jake's going to have to think of something else next time he cooks me breakfast;) I'm thinking strawberries, seeing as it's Wimbledon fortnight...:D
Hope you're all having a good weekend! xx

paulh said...

I just prepared a feast of samosas (baked, not fried, though), Spanish rice with chicken and spinach, pork with eggplant and pasta, and cherry-apple cobbler. This will keep me fed for the next 5 days. No cilantro in any of it.

I wasn't aware that any special knack was needed for slicing avocados. I love avocados when they're sweet, but too often I get bitter ones. :-( My brother-in-law loves avocados with breakfast cereal and milk.

I hope Jake likes mangoes.

(I just discovered that the tree in back of my house may be a mulberry. I love mulberries)

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi TL! Just been enjoying the tennis :D A great result today and the sun shining down... Because of Jake I was also reminded to buy a handful of avocadoes :) I'm thinking strawberries too. I'll be thinking of you during the footie tomorrow!

After all this sport, I need to put my feet up and have a Pimms.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hey Paul! We're posting at the same time and you're making me hungry. I'm on a diet after last weekend so I'm on porridge, tuna and salad for the weekend (and Pimms..). Please don't give Jake mangoes - I'm allergic to anything that has come into contact with that deadly fruit :(

I can't slice avocadoes because I destroy them when I take the stone out. Fortunately, it doesn't effect the taste.

sass said...

Howdy WDW and fellow peeps from rainy NYC, arrrgh;)
As usual this is a marvelous post. Now I will try and catch up with the other posts I've missed.

Pia, I love your Jake menu:)
I hope you Londoner's find our boy. Avocados rock and so does Jake.

I am an action freak and was able to see TDK's trailer twice this weekend when I went to see Wanted.

James McAvoy is fantastic actor and he's in a great action packed roller coaster of a movie that was # 2 in the weekend BO. I hope Jake has the same good luck next summer.
.
BBM was on Bravo cable this past week and even with all the really bad language taken out, some of the kisses removed, the sex scene etc. it's stilla masterpiece.
BBM is The Love Story of my lifetime.
Barack Obama's wife Michelle, told the Democratic National Gay Lesbian Leadership committee, that Barack will work for Gay rights. Thank God, our country may yet do the right thing. I know Barack will not be proposing an amendment against gay marriage especially with his track record as a State Senator.

Sharing:)
Barack for Gay rights


I would love a copy of the article. TY so much for thinking of us. There are so many wonderful Jake articles I've discovered since joining this site.

Hopefully Jake will surface over there real soon, unless he can't because of POP costuming, hair etc.:)
xoxoxo
sass