Tuesday 24 June 2008

Prince of Persia filming to begin on 28 July - Brokeback: a new classic

There's good news and there's bad news... The good news is that the filming of Prince of Persia has a start date - 28 July in Morocco - the bad news is that the possibility of a screen actors' strike may postpone it. However, such a date, a little later than expected, may have been set with the prospect of a short strike in mind.


This is what the LA Times are reporting today: 'More than 1,800 people, both in the U.S. and abroad, are lined up to work on Disney's nearly $200-million-budget "Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time," a video-game-based tale starring Jake Gyllenhaal that's set to begin production in Morocco on July 28. "Of course, we're concerned," said the film's producer, Jerry Bruckheimer. "We'd have to shut it down and everybody goes home. . . . But I can't believe either side wants a strike." Bruckheimer said if the production was delayed, the crew nonetheless would continue working on visual effects, editing, set building and other areas not requiring actors. Moreover, if halting production pushes the eventual start date of "Prince of Persia" too far into the future, the film would risk missing its planned release date next summer.'


It looks like the Prince of Persia will be employing an army of people, all with Jake and director Mike Newell at its front. Quite a prospect and a world away from Nailed.

Talking of which, a poster on IMDb has claimed that Nailed is now mostly in the can - I hesitate to use the word 'safely' - and the filming is over. The restaurant scene, the last to be filmed, is to be polished in an LA studio.


Brokeback Mountain - a new classic

Entertainment Weekly has been refining its top movie lists, celebrating the new movie classics from the last 25 years. Brokeback Mountain is placed at No. 31: 'The cool move here would be to ignore the fact that Heath Ledger and Jake Gyllenhaal enacted a truly groundbreaking love story — and simply concentrate on what a gorgeous, nuanced, heartbreaking movie Brokeback is for people of any sexual orientation. But Ang Lee's undeniably romantic movie did break ground. It reached, and moved, mainstream audiences in ways that no ''gay'' movie ever had before.'


Brokeback also contains one of EW's new classic romantic gestures: 'Heath Ledger finds and keeps the shirts Jake Gyllenhaal had saved from their first trip to Brokeback Mountain (2005).' There are some other very memorable moments on this list.


The Brokeback Mountain poster, with its intentional homage to the Titanic poster, is also regarded as one of the perfect film posters. Brokeback is placed at No 7, with Sam Mendes' American Beauty at No. 3 and Almost Famous at No. 1. Titanic's poster doesn't make the list.


Includes pictures from IHJ, here and EW.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mmmm - the Esquire out-take photo:

"Dont smile or I'll be lost beyond recall
And my heart may go dizzy and fall"

Keeps happening. . .

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Pia gone dizzy! That picture is one of my absolute favourites - there are so many things I love about it - the grin, the belt, the jacket, the hair, the trousers, the stance, the hips, the eyes, the flippin lot!

KeepCalm+CarryOn said...

I've just been catching up on what I've missed while I've been somewhat below par the last couple of days. Sounds like the Brokie weekend was an unqualified success and I'm wishing even more that I could have been a part of it :-( Mind you,having been feeling grot Sunday and yesterday I would probably have had to cancel if had been planning to come,which would have been even more of a sickener! One day....

Well done,WDW,for still getting some lovely posts ups while you've been swept up in the Brokie get-together. Lots of bittersweet Brokeback loveliness - ache at the image conjured up by Michelle that Heath's quiet but loving nature with which he imbued and led the whole crew helped to make it such a special shoot.

It's great too that Brokeback is continuing to garner new accolades,it's wonderful that the shirts scene features prominently in the "Best Romantic Gesture" poll. Should have been number 1,but not everyone has wised up yet ;-)

And the meat in a "Brokeback" sandwich is some "Jarhead" beef, a very tasty filling. Certainly makes me salivate when Jake shows his obvious respect and total admiration for Peter's under-stated,less-is-more acting triumph in this and many other films.

Now let's see WDW,didn't you mention once that you'd bumped into the gorgeous Mr. Sarsgaard somewhere in Oxford...

Anonymous said...

oh yes the belt! kinda low on "the hips" - and how about the shirt?

Im looking forward to Brothers Its such a good script, for Jake. Id say more but for deference to you, WDW. :)

Hey sun's out, after a million thunder storms, one of 'em felled a tree on Sunday, smooshed a woman in her car, but she's recovering.

Pics from Oxford are amazing!

twistedlogic said...

Looks like I'm going to have to take the same approach to POP as I ended up doing with Nailed - wake me up when it's in the cinema;)

So good to see Brokeback's classic status growing almost by the day. Amazing for a film that was only released 2 and a half years ago. Or actually, when you think about it, it's not that amazing at all. No one with a heart and an ounce of humanity could fail to be moved by such a beautiful film. *sigh*
Glad to hear you all had a good (albeit emotional) time in Oxford :)

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much WDW for the EW articles! After more than 3 years, it's great to hear this film is getting new accolades...
Cheers
Paola

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Nadine :) I hope you're feeling a bit better. IT's been an amazing few days and I wish you could have been there. It's all been a lot to take in and I miss people badly. Er... did I ever tell you I bumped into Peter in Oxford?...

You're so good, Pia :) I want to know all the extra stuff but I just have to wait til I've seen it. I have very high hopes :) I heard about the bad weather in the E - I hope it's calming down. here, we've had bad forecasts but day after day of lovely weather. It's not even rained at Wimbledon yet!

Hi TL! It is great that BBM is getting such recognition when it is such a young film. Not surprising to us but it's good for others to know.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hey there Paola! Good to see you and it's wonderful to see BBM continuing to get the accolades it deserves. This film is going nowhere :)

Anonymous said...

Fly-by comment (cos I am so late on everything and my favourite m/m writer has a new book and I need to read it now!!)

Titanic poster didn't make the list (even thought BBM's supposed to be based on it), the reason is simple: Heath and Jake are more gorgeous :P

Thanks for the PoP news. It sounds like a major project for Disney. I hope things go smooth!

And that Esquire pic of Jake - SQUEEEEEE!

*back to my book*

Anonymous said...

Hi WDW...I have not posted for awhile..but I am your faithful reader nevertheless. I have been very busy, and just have time to do a quick read of my favorite Jake site. You are amazing..I just want to thank you for continuing this wonderful web page. Thanks for the update on POP...I so looking forward to that film. On the other hand, I am extremely disappointed in the fiasco that is "Nailed". With all that we have read about, you would think this is an amateur project..perhaps someone's first foray into the film biz...but that is not the case. I would love someday to read the "real" reasons for all the problems with this film!! I love all the pics of Jake in this posting....swoon. As for the Brokeback poster, I have always found it breathtaking. My daughter gave me the poster for Hannukah one year...I just need to get it framed.. Does she love her mother or what? LOL!! Have a great evening..

Michele

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Morning everyone - what a beautiful day! Should be at home watching the tennis and eating strawbs...

Morning Winterbird - very true about the Titanic poster, despite my love of Ms Winslet. Enjoy your book!

Good to see you Michele :D I would love to read a behind the scenes account of Nailed as well - absolute fiasco and I'm glad it's out of Jake's life for the time being. I hope he enjoys PoP - I think he will. I had the poster too and gave it to a good friend. It's the perfect present. That's a lovely thing for your daughter to give you :)

Have a great day everyone!

Anonymous said...

I think someone should have their eyes examined. BBM at #31? come on it should be in the top 10 if not #1 (yeah #1)

Trekfan