Wednesday 25 June 2008

In shape and far from home - Jake gets ready

We can all heave a big sigh of relief - not least Jake Gyllenhaal - because, according to The State today, Nailed has wrapped. Whether or not, this film will ever see the light of day is another matter, not helped by the production company, Think Film, having their office as good as boarded up in Toronto. Time will tell. Meanwhile, I just hope Jake has some much needed fun on the set of the Prince of Persia.


So, at the end of July, Jake will be back off to Morocco to begin filming. At least, with his previous visit for Rendition so recent, he shouldn't need any more immunisations. But I'm reminded of this article, from the Rendition days, when Jake spoke about filming far from home: '“For me, being far away from home is a learning experience,” he explains. “This was shot in North Africa, in a different country with a lot of different rules, and I felt very isolated. It was a very good thing for me. You need to ostracize yourself to learn.”'


This is also one of my alltime favourite articles, because of this - it is always worth a revisit: 'Y"ou look like a nice mint chocolate chip cookie,” he suggests in reaction to the mint green blouse and a dark brown skirt I am wearing. “I do?” I ask, blushing and feeling like a 14-year-old. At my advanced age, it really does take a great actor to make me feel that way. “That’s my favorite flavor, so I’ll take that as a compliment,” I offer. ““You should – that’s my favorite flavor too,” he replies.'


'Now I’m totally flustered. As a mature professional, I like to think I can handle any curve ball that’s thrown my way, but Gyllenhaal is looking at me with his adorable blue eyes and incredibly long eyelashes. “Okay, where do we go from here?” I say, stalling for time while I try to recollect my next question. “Let’s just talk about ice cream,” he offers, oozing boyish charm.'


Jake is back in shape, reminding me of his Jarhead days, although, fortunately, with a full head of hair (with the potential of going the other way and having too much hair, thanks to a headful of extensions). Back in 2005, Jake discussed the tough regime he endured to be in top Marine shape for Jarhead: '"Physically, I was ready for all the running after I killed myself working out, but then mentally it started," he explained. "The first night of boot camp, I got an hour and a half worth of sleep."


"I woke up in the middle of the night because I later found out Lucas Black had thrown a bottle in the air and it hit me on the head when I was sleeping. Those things were constantly happening and, by the end of that week, I had gotten cumulatively 10 hours of sleep. My head was in such a weird space." He added, "I had a 10-and-a-half wide and a 10-and-a-half regular [boot size] and I had loaned one of the guys my 10-and-a-half wide boots. I thought my other boots would stretch and it would be fine but I was standing there for two and a half hours and my left shin was hurting so badly."' Fortunately, Prince of Persia will require far fewer clothes, ill-fitting or otherwise.


Includes pictures from IHJ and fotolog.

13 comments:

paulh said...

Jake wears size 10 and a half boots? My size is 9 extra wide, so his feet must be a bit bigger than mine. They didn't look all that much bigger on Martha's Vineyard, but I'm not the most observant person when it comes to shoes....

I don't like to think of Jake standing around for hours in boots that are too tight. :-( I'm into comfort. So is he, apparently, because the shoes he was wearing on M.V. looked well worn and comfortable.

Anonymous said...

Hey, Paul! ! O Jake's feet! I love Jake's feet and Jakes feats.
Summer coming and I wish JBG were safe on the Vineyard rather than letting his hair grow and leaping about the minarets of Morocco - but - whatever!

Interested me that JBG used the word "ostracized" for being away from hiw own family and community -the boy is a CA homebody, for sure. bless his heart!

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Paul and Pia - great to see you :D Not well this evening - too much excitement in recent days, I suppose - so I'll catch up with you all tomorrow :)

I still don't get these American shoe sizes, I wonder what 10 and a half is in UK money...

Anonymous said...

WDW, American size 10.5 is about UK's 10 or 9.5 (Men size)... I think. Yeah, that's pretty big ... lol :P

I love that picture of jarhead Jake touching the horse covered in black tar... very magical moment in the movie.

I hope "Nailed" will surprise everyone... *keep the faith* :)

JoeAnn said...

Love Jarhead! I periodically rewatch it. Like BBM, it's one of the movies I don't see "Jake", I see the character he's playing. Oddly enough the shaved head didn't bother me at all. He has a face that can pull it off. Can't wait to see if long hair looks as flattering.

Have you guys seen the YouTube short-version of Jarhead with just all the F-bombs? Watching the movie, it didn't register just how much they were cussing. I think it may have set a record, lol.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Good morning everyone - beautiful, sunny, warm.

Morning Winterbird! Thanks for the shoe sizes. When I'm in the US buying Nike I never have a clue. I love that horse pic too :) I'm keeping the faith too.

Hi there JoeAnn! Like you, I don't see Jake in Jarhead, and even though I like Jake with hair, there is something so sexy about Swoff. I read somewhere that Jarhead did break some kind of record for its swearing. I now when I watched it with my mum she commented on it :D

Have a lovely day everyone :)

Xenia said...

Morning everyone!:)
Sunny day over here too and hotter than hot...I wish I could take a day off and go to the beach...:/

Fingers crossed for finally get to watch Nailed in Italian or anywhere else's theatres, because this could be hard people...

I never imagined I could find a Marine even vaguely attractive before watching Jarhead, but Swoff/Jake is one of the sexiest thing a I've ever laid my eyes upon so...

Oh and noone can flirt like flirting Jake, I know I'd be completely paralized by his flirting powers...:)

Have a good day WDW and everyone!

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Xenia :D A day at the beach sounds a great idea - can Jake come too? Flirting Jake.

Hop everyone's having a good day!

Anonymous said...

Good day everyone. :)

I so freaking adore that picture of Jake and Kate Winslet. They are so cute and sexy together. Would love to see them in a movie.

Jarhead Jake is always a plus to me. :p I think Jake is a homebody California boy but he seems just as at home in NYC or MV. I think it is important that he experiences other cultures and places when working or vacationing. From his interviews he learns something from each experience.

Speaking of traveling, I hope all the UKers are on the lookout for Jake now. Hopefully he is still in and around your parts!

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hey Get Real! I would simply love Jake to be in a movie with Kate Winslet. I suppose travel must be all part of the job and I reckon Jake takes it in his stride. Needlesstosay, I love it when he's in the UK - and he's welcome round my parts anytime :D Ahem, did I say that?.... Better have a cup of tea :D

paulh said...

If you made a movie about Marines (or sailors, or any other kind of armed forces people), you would have to have a lot of cussing in order to be realistic. That's just how it is. Rodgers and Hammerstein's "South Pacific" has lots of cuss words, too, because Hammerstein spent some time with real sailors and observed how they talked.

If you want non-cussing sailors, watch "H.M.S. Pinafore." ;-)

Anonymous said...

If you want non-cussing sailors, watch "H.M.S. Pinafore." ;-)

Cute, Paul. :)

I getting curious to see how Jake looks as the Prince! It must be fun, all the costume fittings and pre-filming stuff that goes on, and watching the characters and story start to take on a life. I hope we hear something soon! :)

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Paul! Ahhh, South Pacific - I love that :D Never noticed the cussing in it though...

Hey there Bertie :D I really, really, really cannot wait to see the first picture of Jake dressed as the prince. Just imagine its effect on us! Blimey - cannot wait!