Sunday 8 June 2008

'Thank you for filming with us!' - A day as an extra on the set of Nailed - Nicole's story

If ever you wanted proof that Nailed is up and running again and Jake is back at work, this should do the trick. Nicole, our eyes and ears on the ground in Columbia, South Carolina, had the amazing opportunity to not only watch Jake Gyllenhaal at work on Nailed but to be a part of the project, as one of its extras.


Nicole answered an advert calling for locals to turn up on set at the State House yesterday (Saturday) in their Sunday best and she was one of the lucky ones. She got a seat in the State House for a big scene involving most of the major characters and was able to observe Jake and David Russell at work. Jake, it seems, held things up by making people laugh - a story we're well familiar with from most of Jake's movies. cameras were banned from the set but Nicole and all the other extras were given a reward:


Here are excerpts from Nicole's account, for which I am very grateful. We are very lucky to share her glimpse into that extraordinary place otherwise known as The Nailed Set. Not only did Nicole get to see Jake, she also got three meals and $125 for a lot of hours spent hanging around - I do hope the money was paid upfront...

'We got to the statehouse around 9:30 in the morning. It turns out it didn't start until about 11:30 (it was a 100 degrees outside) so we got to the set and we went up to the casting lady. My friend's outfit was approved by wardrobe but mine wasn't (I was wearing black dress pants and a nice blouse but it had a weird pattern to it) so the wardrobe lady told me what kind of outfit they were looking for and so I called my mom and she brought me a couple of outfits. The lady approved the first one I picked out. So then I started getting really excited!'


Setting the scene

'There were so many squaw girls (girl scouts) and congressmen and woman. We ate breakfast - they had all kinds of food - biscuits,eggs, and the traditional stuff like that. So then it was finally time to go inside the statehouse! The statehouse is three floors - the first floor is where the parents and extras stayed when they weren't in the scenes. The second floor was where Jake and Jessica were and the their floor is where I was. But it was a balcony so I could see the filming very close below us as we were supposed to be watching them down there. So I was on the third floor where there were rows of seats to sit in. Luckily I was right behind a guy who had a speaking line so if they show him you will definitely see me!'


The scene

'The whole cast is in the scene and Jessica Biel is speaking to the congress. She starts acting 'erratic'. She just starts going crazy and saying all these crazy things. It's kind of hard to explain but she falls on top of this congresswoman and puts her hand up and we are supposed to clap. Before that happened she said something about Romanians. The guy in front me shouts something in Romanian and then later in the scene walks out. So if you see the Romanian guy, I'm right behind him! Anyways, Jake is below the balcony so we couldn't see him until he walked over to Jessica and kinda hugs her. James Marsden and Tracy Morgan were on the same floor as me so they were really close!'


More details of the scene

'From the balcony 3 squaws, Kurt Fuller, Tracy Morgan, Malinda Williams, James Marsden, followed by a couple of other girl squaws, walk in from the balcony. I'm guessing that, since they are all from Indiana, they came all the way to Washington to see Jessica to support her. Jessica and Jake are at the bottom of the balcony. When Tracy and the whole gang walk in, they start waving to Jessica. They wave and smile and James Marsden does all this funny stuff like he blows her a kiss and draws a heart in the air. Then they start waving at Howard (Jake's character) and saying 'Hi Howard!' (At the this point since we were in the balcony we couldn't see Jake because he was right under us.) So then I am guessing Catherine Keener's role (not sure if that was her or not) was the representative at the microphone. Tracy then says 'You let the other hot girls talk, why not Alice' (there were two other women also next to Jessica, whom Jake had something to do with - they called them 'hussies').'


'Catherine Keener gave Jessica one minute to speak. Jessica starts talking crazily and saying 'Do you think its cool? No, it's not cool!' (that she got a nail in her head) and then James would shout 'Not cool'. Then she would fall on a congresswoman and put her fist in the air and everyone would start clapping. Jake finally runs over to her - and he spoke so softly I didn't really know if he said anything - then he helped Jessica up and he had his arms around her and he kept looking at her. Finally, Catherine Keener would say that the bill for healthcare was lost again (I guess that's what they were there for since I found out that Tracy Morgan's character, Jessica Biel's character, and Kurt Fuller's character all have weird injuries - Jessica has the nail in her head, Tracy has something wrong with his butt, and Kurt has something wrong I'm thinking with his private part). Then, as Jake and Jessica are walking away, Jessica faints.'


Jake on set

'Jake was under the balcony, so it was really hard to see his character most of the time but I did see him during breaks. Jake was texting and he also asked about the horse race yesterday. At the end of the day, Jake was helping Tracy, James, and the gang with their lines and he even made the little girls laugh (as well as me). There's a line in the movie where, I think, some people say 'You monster' to Jake's character and they couldn't get it right and Jake starts yelling 'You monster' in funny ways. The director told him to stop making everyone laugh (at that point it was 12:30 in the morning and i know the girls were tired so I thought it was great how Jake, Tracy, James were interacting with the girls and making them laugh). Jake was wearing the exact same suit he has been wearing and they were all wearing the same outfits.'


David Russell

'David, I thought, was in a good mood in the morning. He was joking around with the cast. I didn't see any problems with him today. At the end of the day, I know he was getting tired - he was cussing a little bit in front of the girls but, overall, I thought it was a good day.'


A long day

'Jake passed by me about five times in the hallway. Once, while I was sitting on the steps and he was coming down. We ate lunch/dinner at 7 pm - the food was fried chicken, mashed potatotes, salad, corn on the cob and cake for dessert (I guess you could say it was the typical southern meal). We were there until 1:30 in the morning! The congressmen and women had to stay longer. Jake was still in his trailer so I don't know if he was done shooting for the day.'


Many congratulations Nicole for your big day (not to mention, sharing the big screen with Jake, however briefly) and a huge thanks for sharing your day with the rest of us!

Includes pictures from Nicole, IHJ, Flickr and FitsNews.

41 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you Nicole and Kate! That was great!

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Thanks Nail Polish! :D

Ruby said...

Nicole - thank you so much for sharing that. What a great day.

I'm only a teensy-weensy bit envious, honest. *-)

Cheers WDW *raises glass*

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hey Ruby Rubes :D Hope you've had a good weekend in the heat.

I think we should get a job as extras on PoP at Pinewood- we could be sand monsters :)

Nicole did a great job though. I'd have been the one in shot with 'Jake, I love you' tattooed onto my eyelids.

Cheers Ruby - and that reminds me I need to find a glass and fill it and then I will raise it back!

I see that Nicole mentions Malinda Williams - showing my ignorance here, who is she?

Ruby said...

I don't know Malinda Williams so I looked her up on IMDB. She's done a wide range of (mostly TV) work. She's beautiful.

Hope this weather holds, I'm in the garden with a bottle of wine and it's lovely (both the garden and the wine!)

I think I was born to play a sand monster. :D

Forgot to say to Nicole: those autographs are a lovely souvenir to have. :)

sheba said...

Hiy'all. A big hurrah for Nicole. Well done! Thank you so much for firstly letting us know Nailed is back in full swing production and that you got a part as an extra. Poor David must be tearing his hair out over delays on production but glad that he allowed Jake to deliver 'stress relief'.

I'm very hopeful for Nailed and can't wait to see Jake and Nicole's performances.

JoeAnn said...

Congratulations, Nicole! What an exciting day for you. Thanks for sharing your brush with Jake with us. Were you able to tell if he was looking bigger, like he'd been working out alot?

Anonymous said...

wow... lucky Nicole! And thanks so much for the full account of that wonderful day :)

It's just so adorable and so Jake to make his cast members laugh. I would pay good money to see Jake make all those funny versions of "You Monster" :P

And at least they were filming indoor - 100 degrees! My face is all red already from sitting under the sun today, well, talking about Jake and sipping wine are added factor too :)

Anonymous said...

Great that the atmosphere on set sems more relaxed now, maybe because the film won't be shut down again? ;)

Thanks for the great update. :)

Sandy

Anonymous said...

Yay Nicole, you are our hero once again. Thanks so much for letting us in on the excitement - and scanning the souvenir autographs - kiss kiss the iconic Jake scrawl - and good news that Jake's doing his usual shenanigans and D.O.R. isnt tearing his hair out.

Must say the plot sounds pretty bizarre: hope they carry it over the top.

Anonymous said...

OMG, Nicole!!!! What an awesome report...thank you and WDW so much for sharing!! Wow, just sounds really cool that you got to be part of the filming of what sounds like a great scene. And Jake, to be so close and have him joking around onset to keep spirits up at the late hour puts a huge smile on my face. Love him even more for that. So cool that you got a note with all their siggies on it. Love Jake's! Glad you got fed and treated well. From the sound of it I really can't wait to see this movie! Love that cast and would be great to see you in it. :)

That story made my day after the oppressive heat we are having I can't imagine what you guys had to deal with.

Take care and thanks again for the fantastic story!!

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Thanks Ruby :D Just gorgeous weather - sitting here supping GnT. We could be Sand Monsters A and B. Not much dialogue.

The autographs are a wonderful souvenir and a nice gesture from the production.

Hey there Sheba! Now we'll be watching Nailed for not just Jake :D

Hi JoeAnn :)

Thanks so much, Winterbird, for a lovely lunch. I'm a little sunburnt myself but so pleasant sit outside.

I love the idea of Jake having a laugh on the set.

Thanks Sandy :)

Hi Pia! I love that Jake squiggle - I treasure my autographs :D The plot definitely sounds more and more bizarre...

Hey Get Real! It is such a great account and we're so lucky to get a glimpse - certainly put a smile on my face too :D I absolutely love to hear of Jake having a laugh on the set, made my day that.

Anonymous said...

yeah, I think the script sounds quite crazy... but then "I love Huckabees" is just as crazy - with crazy props too! Could the film be a feature length version of Saturday Night Live sketches? :P

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your great account, Nicole, and well done - can't wait to see you in this movie!

Ah, gardens, wine - been enjoying other people's gardens and wine in today's perfect weather :)

Is sand monsters the best we're gonna get, Ruby and WDW?

Nicole said...

hey everyone! I don't know if I will actually be seen in the movie..but I hope so! and yes Jake did seem a little bit bigger like he's been working out.he was wearing long sleeves so I didn't get to see his muscles :) oh and the pay wasn't up front..the check will come in the mail..but of course I would have even done it for free if Jake is in the scene!

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Evening Anouska :D Proplem with PoP is that there aren't many humans. May have to go for a behind the scenes role instead... Glad you had good day in the sun :)

Hey Monica! You did good! I would say that the pay is definitely secondary (which may be just as well considering Nail's cheque history ;D). Seriously though, a great day and a really good account of it - thanks so much for sharing it with us :D

Anonymous said...

Many thanks to Nicole for sharing her exciting experience as an extra and to Kate for sharing it with us. My only comment about the pics is that Jake's hair continues to look strange...it appears to be parted lower and is longish...but he looks fab anyway. Good to see the filming is still progressing....

Michele

Uli said...

Hey, Nicole you lucky girl!

Thank you so much for sharing your great day with us! Reading your report I could imagine how exciting this must have been for you!
And thank you, too, WDW! :)

So nice to hear that Jake is entertaining the people on the set!!

And I am glad, that David Russell seems to be in a quite good mood as well, despite all the troubles with Nailed...

The scene you described sounds bizarre! :D I am really curious to see this movie!

Take care everyone
Uli

Nicole said...

yeah I noticed Jake's hair was getting pretty long in the back..

Anonymous said...

I thought the Nailed was done filming, when will it be done?

Nicole said...

everyone is saying something different..some say June 22nd and some say sometime in July

paulh said...

Jake us just a natural comic talent. Someday, he will write some amazing comic screenplays.

My day wasn't as exciting as Nicole's, but there were jake links just the same. I went to see "Kung Fu Panda," which was vastly better than I thought it would be. Dustin Hoffman (who worked with Jake in "Moonlight Mile") did the voice for kung fu master Shifu. Seth Rogen, who was with Jake in "Donnie Darko" did the voice for the praying mantis. There was a Heath ledger link: David Cross, who was in "I'm not there" with Heath, did the voice of the crane.

Anonymous said...

Jake is no where near done with Nailed?
I thought he was starting POP soon?

Anonymous said...

Reese is probably upset she hasn't gotten time with her man :(
She probably really wants to spend some romantic time with her, but is always working

twistedlogic said...

OMG! I've just seen this as I had no internet all day yesterday:( Wow, Nicole, what an incredible experience. Thanks so much for sharing it with us here. Love the Thank You card from the cast. Gotta run now, but thanks for brightening up my Monday morning:)

Anonymous said...

yeah I noticed Jake's hair was getting pretty long in the back..

Before becoming Prince of Persia, Jake would become a hippy first :P

Still a gorgeous day outside today, maybe we all should start gettting a tan, so we can all be extras in PoP when they film in England.. lol.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Good morning everyone! I'm running late this morning as I've got the day off and I've been snoring :D Another hot sunny day out there. Glorious. Thanks for all the comments over night good to see you all.

As far as the Nailed schedule goes. There are lots of stories but as far as I can understand it, Jake's part in the film will finish on or around the 22 June (he doesn't start PoP until into July). Nailed itself is moving out of the State House this week and is moving elsewhere in Columbia.

Hi Michele! Jake's hair is a mystery at the moment - especially what will happen to it in the coming month :\

Hey Uli - glad to see you're sticking with sweet Jack there ;) I am more intrigued than ever to see Nailed as I just can't get my head round it. It just sounds too peculiar and I can't imagine what David's angle is. Time will tell. Sounds like Jake will make us laugh though :D

Hi Paul! I've been giggling at the trailers for Kung Fu Panda (incidentally I watched a wildlife documentary last night about China's wildlife and pandas and they did not look very kung fuey...). I really enjoy the connections you find between the films and Jake and Heath :D

Good morning TL! I do hope you can get your internet fixed :( Good to see you :)

Morning Winterbird - good idea about getting a tan to look more Persian for our extras' roles. Hmmm. I would like more than just to be a camel handler. I wonder if they're going to spray Jake with tanning stuff - I could do that....

Have a good day everyone - even though it's Monday :D

Xenia said...

Wow I'm shocked, I mean, in a good way...:)

I'm so happy for Nicole who had the chance to see Jake for, what? the third time and to watch him working, and for us all because that was a wonderful report!!

What a great way to start the week,people! Have a great day!:D

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Morning Xenia! have a lovely Monday :D

Anonymous said...

Thank you, Nicole and WDW! What a great experience.

Anonymous said...

yeah, Panda can't fight. They prefer sleeping than love-making, and they became vegetarians because they couldn't hunt for meat :P But actually, I quite fancy the idea of Jake doing voice-over for a cute animation...

oh what animal should he play? :)

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Good to see you Jannis :D

Hey Winterbird :D I liked in that programme how pandas twirl the leaves around their noses to get the ice of them - yum :P

I love listening to Jake's voice - it's made easier to appreciate when one doesn't have his gorgeous face and body to marvel at, so a cartoon animal would be good. Hmmmm, but which? Penguins are my favourite animals and the official animal of WDW, but I fear they've been overdone. But I could see him as another type of bird, something with long legs like a stork or with big eyes like an owl. I would not want to listen to Jake as a spider or anything with more than four legs or a land animal with less than none. Maybe a whale?

My all time fave animal voiceover is Ellen in Finding Nemo :D

Wet Dark and Wild said...

I should add that penguins are followed very closely by sealions, walruses and elephant seals, so I wouldn't object if Jake were to do the voiceover for one of those :D

Anonymous said...

Penguin! don't give Christopher Nolan this idea, or maybe he'll cast Jake as villain...

I think Jake should do voice for any cute animal with big eyes... ermm, squirrel? yeah, a cute sealion would be nice too. or a deer (Bambi!). I do think Jake still has a relatively young voice.

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for sharing this great experience with us, Nicole!

It really seems like we will get to see "Nailed" some day...:-))

Especially for WDW some "Moon Project" news...it looks like the script will be completly re-written, IMO the shootings will be starting not until some time next year. But at least the project has not faded away in obscurity:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr
/content_display/news/e3i1751753614
c1db77e125d89fb28f320d

twistedlogic said...

Cartoon animal Jake? I like it! Pandas are my favourite animal but I also think a dark majestic stallion would be a good choice;) Or a lion, maybe...
And speaking of cartoons, I would LOVE Jake to do an episode of The Simpsons :D

paulh said...

If you want animals with only positives and no negatives, you have just two choices: pandas and dolphins. I could see jake as a dolphin. Jake would play a character with a great sense of porpoise. ;-)

*good girl* said...

Wow, I haven't been able to visit the site for a while and now I come back and I find this amazing report of this amazing experience! Nicole, you lucky lucky girl! What a wonderful thing seeing Jake acting "live" :D Thank you Nicole and WDW for making us part of this beautiful moment :)

...and about Jake as a cartoon animal I agree with TL, a dark stallion ...definitely, definitely a stud... :D

Wish you all a lovely week :)

Anonymous said...

Fantastic story Nicole! Thanks for sharing your day with us. Columbia's my home town - let's put in a plug for Trustus and the Nickelodeon!! :)

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi there everyone! Just been out for a drive and nearly got third-degree burns from my steering wheel - it is hot out there :D

Loving the animals - please continue that in the next thread - I've got some more ideas :)

Winterbird, good point - the idea of Jake playing that horrible penguin is not good at all :( I don't see Jake as a deer - unless he's a big stag with hug antlers and a great man on the Scottish highlands....

Hi JakeFan! I know, it's hard to believe it, isn't it, but Nailed may actually finish... It was good to hear about UMP - it's in the new post.

Hi there TL :D Like the stallion idea... Particularly like the lion. I could go for the idea of Jake doing the voice for a majestic animal on the African plain :) Not so sure about the Simpsons ;D

Hey Paul! Love dolphins, I can see Jake doing the voice of a dolphin, or maybe a young turtle. Thanks for the joke... maybe ;D

Good to see you Good Girl :D Glad you're back. Nicole's account is wonderful, so I'm glad you got to see it.

Hi there, Montagne! Another Columbian :D

Anonymous said...

Nicole you are my hero!!!! Delightful story. I have to say. I am at a very high state of anxiety about "the hair issue" for PoP!!!!
There are reports that Jake's part will finish this week, I think, on Nailed. One thing is sure. He is definitely heading to the UK at some point this summer, to work on PoP so, given what I know about WDW's awesome "radar," I am expecting a non-extra-terrestial close encounter of the first kind!