Tuesday 1 July 2008

Great uncle Jake - start dates and premieres - Peter to take on Broadway

A bits and pieces post this evening... Firstly, confusion reigns over the exact date on which The Prince of Persia will kick off. We've heard the date 28 July bandied about by the LA Times and now we hear that stuntman Dave Pope has had to rush through his wedding because he's been booked to act in the 'upcoming "Prince of Persia: the Sands of Time," with Jake Gyllenhaal, with production starting in Morocco on Tuesday and not wrapping till the fall.' That's a start day of today.


However, with the uncertainty looming about whether screen actors will strike or not, I'm inclined to believe - and this is only a personal opinion - that later in the month is a more likely start date for the principle actors, although Jake's apparent continued presence in the UK (hinted at by unsubstantiated sightings) does suggest pre-production work is underway in Britain. Talking of unsubstantiated sightings of Jake and Reese in London, here's another one - this time at The Ledbury restaurant, Notting Hill, on Sunday (see the comments to this Metro feature).


And the theme of misinformation continues - all kinds of hype surrounds the premiere of The Dark Knight in NYC on 14 July, with Warner Brothers now contesting the widely spread belief that the event will be a tribute to Heath Ledger, with his family attending. They may be attending but they're not certain. Added to the uncertainty is whether Jake Gyllenhaal will be attending as Maggie's date - according to OK! he is. What is certain is that those who have been fortunate enough to have seen previews of The Dark Knight are raving about the film and, especially, about Heath's iconic Joker.


Maggie meanwhile has been talking about her priorities and, not surprisingly, her 20-month old daughter Ramona is hers. 'I do think that it's really difficult to get me away from [Ramona]," she said. "It's difficult to find a script that's good enough for me to think, 'Okay, I really need to do this instead of being with my daughter.'" Known for her edgy performances, Gyllenhaal filmed Farlanders for director Sam Mendes last spring, "but mostly I've been with her," she says. "Some people have asked me whether I'll choose things that ... have a more sort of child-appropriate content, and I don't think so. I think I'll choose what's interesting to me."'

'Gyllenhaal says she receives tremendous support balancing parenthood and career from fiancé, Peter Sarsgaard. "We share absolutely equally," she explained, and added that her brother Jake Gyllenhaal is "a great uncle."'


We have, of course, had our hopes dashed that Jake would take to the Broadway boards this Autumn. But all those lucky enough to live near NYC will be able to see Peter Sarsgaard instead. Variety has anounced that Peter will be starring in Chekhov's Seagull at the Walter Kerr Theater from 1 October alongside Kristin Scott Thomas. Previews start on 16 September. This production premiered at London's Royal Court Theatre back in early 2007 and the cast coming to NYC includes Carey Mulligan who, of course, is starring in An Education with Peter. Until today, and hearing this news, I always thought that you can see enough Chekov for one lifetime.


Includes pictures from IHJ and Dazed and Confused.

21 comments:

Anonymous said...

The cast and director of DK seem to be handling Heath's death with dignity.

Peter doing Chekhov - I like it!

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Pia - I completely overdid Chekhov at University and I could quite easily never see one of his plays again - but for Peter I'd love to make an exception :D A great cast.

Major_Grooves said...

I like the pic of you and Peter Sarsgaard!

How's the job going? I had an op on my knee last week. See my blog for an amusing hospital-story.

Maybe we can grab a drink in Summertown soon?

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hey Major G! Great to see you - I was thinking about you just yesterday when my bus went past your herb garden! Sorry to hear about your knee :( Job's not too bad - I'd love to have a drink (wine with cheese and French bread?) How about next week? Don't Peter and I make a lovely couple :D

Er back on topic - Jake is hot...

Anonymous said...

Why is Jake going to the premiere as Maggie's date? She has Peter and Jake has himself a woman:) It's high time to make it official, Gyllenhaal.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Anon - we only have the word of OK! (hardly a reputable source at the best of times) that Jake is going at all and, if he is, Maggie accompanied Jake to quite a few premieres in the past and vice versa. I think it's great that Maggie and Jake share these experiences :)

Anonymous said...

^ ^ ^

gossip train. this is difficult for everyone - can we please cool it!

Id frankly rather not go to the Canary Island until September. cant afford it, actually.

Anonymous said...

p.s. Jake is hot.

Zodiac said...

I'm SO excited about TDK I can't wait.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Evenin' Pia :D This whole TDK thing seems like such a rollercoaster of emotion now that it's so close. It isn't easy at all.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Zodiac! Posting at the same time :D So many feelings. But really the whole buzz surrounding this film is amazing - I would love Jake to be part of something like this when the film is right. Good for Maggie :)

Anonymous said...

Thanks WDW for keeping me "Jaked" while my boss buried me with work...

I don't really trust source like OK! but I think it's a good idea if Jake accompany Maggie to the premiere, I think they both need the support.

PoP sounds like a demanding project!

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Winterbird :D It's not right that our bosses distract us from what matters! I have trouble believing anything OK! says I like the idea of Jake being there for Maggie as she was him during all the BBM premieres. But who knows what with this flexible PoP start date... PoP will be very demanding, I tink, but fun.

Anonymous said...

I certainly trust in Jake, and Michelle and Heath's family to do the right thing, but I cannot imagine any of these wanting to distract from the premiere of this film. It's about the film, not about Heath's death, and others' relationships to Heath.

Seems to me the rags are raggin' to create forment and readers and that the actors and cast and friends are smart enuff to laff it off.

Anonymous said...

But aren't they having a tribute to Heath, or has that changed? I thought I read where it was going to be dedicated to Heath. To me, it is about Heath, and regardless of who is there, it won't take away from that. Circumstances have made it so, and that's the right thing. I do hope Jake can make it, and I feel it's perfectly appropriate, just because he and Maggie may or may not have partners at this point in time, it doesn't mean they are inseparable and can't do the right thing.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Morning everybody - storms predicted, but another big tennis day - deep breaths...

Hi Pia - definitely it's all about the film. What struck me and I wanted to explore in this post is how the hype surrounding the opening of this film seems to pull everyone in so many directions and I find it disturbing but also very interesting.

Hi Anon - There are plenty of reports that there is a dedication to Heath at the end of the film. And as you say, it doesn't matter who's there because it's all about Heath's amazing performance. And Jake and Maggie together on the red carpet can only be a good thing, whatever the film.

Have a great day everyone :)

Xenia said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Xenia said...

I accidentally deleted my post, sorry...:/

BTW, hello WDW and everyone! :)

Regarding Jake being Maggie's date at the TDK Premiere, honestly I could find good and bad reasons either in him going or not going but, I don't know, I tend to believe that Jake will remain low-key even this time not showing up...just a feeling though...

Have a great day y'all! :)

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Xenia :) Good to see you. I agree and think Jake will remain low-key too. I hope you're having a good day :D

Anonymous said...

Agree,WDW! OK! is hardly a credible source. With premieres, most of the main people get to invite "guests." So Jake listed as Maggie's guest means he is on her list, along with probably several other people including her parents, friends, in-laws, Peter, etc. She might very well have two dozen guests!

I believe, and I hope, Jake will be low key, too. I sincerely hope that people won't assign any special meaning to it whether he attends the premiere or not. That may be too much to hope for, but there it is.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Anon! Absolutely! OK is no source at all for starters, but, yes, it would be my wish too that, should Jake go, nothing would be construed from it and Maggie can be allowed to enjoy this amazing experience. Thanks for commenting :D