Wednesday 2 July 2008

The stolen Brokeback kiss and 'If you have the voice you gotta use it'

Over the last few days, we've been talking about Bravo Brokeback, its quivering tents, its unusual angles and its glaring omissions - a big one of which was the Second Night's kiss, which was nowhere to be seen. Not surprisingly, this butchery was not greeted kindly. In fact, so many people complained that Bravo has released a statement, which, courtesy of After Elton, reads: 'This was an unfortunate mistake. While editing the film for cable broadcast, the kissing scene in question was removed. The scene will appear in all future airings of Brokeback Mountain on Bravo, as it should have been included in its cable premiere.'


A mistake! How does one accidentally remove such a kiss? I can only imagine that someone stole it. Hopefully, by the next time Bravo shows Brokeback Mountain, this most beautiful of kisses will be restored and it will be back where it belongs, in that tent on the side of Brokeback.


'I'm a masochist'

Hollywood has spoofed The Day After Tomorrow... With the headline 'Al Gore was right', Disaster Movie reaches theatres at the end of August. It tells the tale of the 'comic misadventures of a group of ridiculously attractive twenty-somethings during one fateful night as they try to make their way to safety while every known natural disaster and catastrophic event - asteroids, twisters, earthquakes, the works – hits the city and their path as they try to solve a series of mysteries to end the rampant destruction.' TDAT is not alone in being targeted - Iron Man, Indiana Jones, Juno, the Hulk, Deep Impact and Amy Winehouse are all victims of the onslaught. Be afraid, be very afraid....


But, it turns out, that Al Gore was involved in the promotion for the original disaster movie - The Day After Tomorrow - saying: “Millions of people will be coming out of movie theatres asking the question, ’Could this really happen?’.”' However, a 'Bush spokesman said: “People know what they’re watching is entertainment, and not grounded in basic scientific fact.”' The Scottish Daily Record, back in 2004, reported: 'The actor is pals with former US president Bill Clinton and his family after they met at the playground of the rich, Martha's Vineyard, when he was younger. A source said: 'They were blown away by the film's special effects. Bill called Jake to say how much he had enjoyed it.'


Jake Gyllenhaal looked instead at how making the film, and its issues, affected him as an actor and as a human being: 'If you have the voice you gotta use it, to a certain extent at which you don't fake it. And the environment is an important thing. It's the most bi-partisan political movement that you can join. You can walk up to anyone in the street and say, 'Do you think we're treating the environment well?' and most people will say no. Except most of our government leaders. But then, if you ask them, 'Do you recycle?' most of them will say no. I mean, I don't. I try to, but I don't all the time. Even after making the movie about it, I still keep f***ing up.'


As for filming a film with giant waves, CGI wolves and library lost clothing: ''It got pretty bad," he says, while insisting that he had a good time. "I'm a masochist. They smacked me in the face with a wave and I couldn't see anything in the pouring rain. We had special effects guys standing at the edge in front of a blue screen making waves in the water with huge pieces of wood. Those were the only waves I saw."'


The 'snow' itself was a nuisance: 'Falling snow was made of little bits of shredded paper that "gets in your nose, eyes and eyelashes," he [Jake] says. "It constantly takes going inside for a guy to wipe your face off, and outside again. They also put ice on your face, little rubber plastic crystals that you find in every crevice, like your eyes. Even weeks later you're taking them out of your ears and nose."'


'Fallen snow was ultra-absorbent diaper filling that expands with water. "It slips through your hands," says Gyllenhaal, "and it's impossible to walk on. You slip and fall over. It looks and feels like real snow, but when the FX guy blew it into Dennis's face in large amounts, he threw up.".. "I knew what I was getting myself into," insists Gyllenhaal. "I didn't know I would be bombarded with baby diaper filling."' I can understand that. I wonder how environmentally friendly baby diaper filling is.


Includes pictures from IHJ and links.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey! First to comment!

Huh! that cut was definitely deliberate! Now they tried to say it's a mistake - my a**... ! And where did they get those different angle unseen footage? Does Ang Lee know???

Interesting revisit of "The Day After Tomorrow"... I like that period of Jake - showing signs of maturity/adulthood while maintaining his boyish features and charms *swoons*

Hope you're having a good evening. Hubby is off with his mates, I am planning to watch "Shelter"!

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Winterbird - I'm watching the tennis - sob - not good - sob...

That cut was definitely deliberate! How can they accidentally lose it? Not possible. I love that period of Jake too. Have a good evening :D

Anonymous said...

A mistake! How does one accidentally remove such a kiss? I can only imagine that someone stole it.

You make that sound so romantic, or is it me? The Second Night's Kiss. Sigh. You make it read like A Midsummer Night's Dream.

I don't know about this new Disastah movie coming up tho.

Shelter is supposed to be very good. :)

Glad to hear that Bravo responded to the complaints about Brokeback's editing.

Ruby said...

Bravo backpedalling huh? Movies should be shown as they were intended not be edited by ignorant TV people. Who are they to determine what viewers should and shouldn't see and to presume to mess with a work of art? humpf, Ruby feeling grumpy. :(

Not really :D

Sort of still on topic as it's mentioned in the post....I saw Juno last night and really liked it. It was sweet and funny and moving without being sappy. Very good script indeed. I still love Allison Janney. :D I miss CJ and the West Wing gang.

Tennis? Is there tennis? My TV has only been on for Dr Who recently. :)

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Thank you, Anon :) That is such a nice thing to say and you've made me really happy.

This Disaster Movie sounds just terrible but I might rent it with a few gins. I find the idea of spoofing a diaster movie extremely odd!

Hi Ruby Rubes :D Bravo have realised their mistake, which is good. Brokies are a vocal bunch. I bought Juno on DVD - absolutely love it and I love the soundtrack too. Alison Janney is wonderful in everything she's been in - hopefully and I'm sure in Nailed too. West Wing is my favourite programme of all time.

There is tennis but I am in mourning for the loss of Murray... :( Doctor Who?

Anonymous said...

This Disaster Movie sounds just terrible but I might rent it with a few gins.

Hee! Gin is the antidote for a lot of things! ;)

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Certainly is, Anon, especially with a squeeze of lime :D

twistedlogic said...

So Bravo made an "unfortunate mistake"? Yeah right *rolls eyes* Still, at least they accepted they were in the wrong and are planning to put it back in where it belongs. But as Ruby rightly says, if they hadn't messed with the film in the first place, it wouldn't be an issue. And I agree with the Anon at 19.49,"stolen" is beautiful way of putting it, WDW *sigh*

I can't imagine the TDAT spoof being funnier than the original, but it sounds like the sort of thing I'd watch for a laugh after several beers too many;)

Poor Jake,with the fake ice crystals up his nose! That reminds me of when he said about finding grains of sand in his ears(I think it was his ears?)for months after filming Jarhead. He's probably got more of that to come with POP but at least he knows what to expect.

Sorry about the tennis, WDW. but you've gotta admit Rafa totally outclassed Murray, poor boy didn't stand a chance!

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi TL! I think you should watch Disaster Movie to make up for Nadal giving Murray such a hammering :( That's very true about POP - he'll be finding that sand on his pillow for weeks!

Anonymous said...

Pfft, on Bravo for "mistakenly" *insert eye roll here* taking out one of the most beautiful scenes in cinema. Yeah, yeah so they apologized. Again, I say pfftt...

LOL at the TDAT stuff. Poor Jake and the fake snow and CGI wolves! I will say that the stuff on Global Warming that the movie talked about isn't that far off. Just am seeing reports very recently on the fact that the polar ice caps won't be forming this year. They are disappearing which is not good for our environment and is having an effect on the awful storms and tornado's in the Midwest and the dry air that is causing fires in the West Coast. All of which are much stronger and severe than in previous years. Sorry to be a downer. :/

On a lighter note...Jake is hot! ;p

twistedlogic said...

I'd just like to state publically that Jake is welcome to rest his sand-covered head on my pillow any day of the week;)

So now I'm being held personally responsible for Andy Murray getting knocked out, am I? ;) How about you let me off watching Disaster Movie and if Rafa wins Wimbledon I'll buy you several glasses of Spanish red to celebrate when I see you next month:)

paulh said...

I'm looking forward to seeing "Disaster Movie." Chances are, it doesn't address one hazard that Ann Hathaway had to cope with: relationship advice from Donald Trump. ;-)

Anonymous said...

LOL Paul, that was great! I couldn't believe it when I read that. :) It was cute when DT said when he left his building there was a huge group of paparazzi and he quite naturally assumed it was for him, but it was about Anne's BF! ;)

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Good morning everyone!

Hi Get Real - Pfft indeed :D Cheeky sods, but I like that they're saying sorry. And despite everything, at least TDAT had a message.

Morning TL! Yep, all your fault. But now Murray's out, I'm supporting Nadal so, if he wins, yep, lots of red wine please :D

That's funny, Paul! Poor Anne :)

Hi Anon :D I'll have to look this up and see what happened. Donald does make me chuckle :)

I hope everyone has a lovely day - I certainly will because it includes drinkies with Rubes :D

Xenia said...

Jake pics from the set of PoP!! ;D

Brace yorselves people for the long hair, the chest hair, the muscles etc...

Sorry the blog is crap


Have a good day everyone!

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Xenia! I was just looking at those and put a few up! OMG!! So good to see Jake though, but the hair!