Wednesday 30 July 2008

Hot and time for a drink

Despite possibly flimsy rumours that Jake Gyllenhaal is back in Los Angeles, it is very likely that Jake is in the High Atlas Mountains of Morocco swashing his buckle and giving body and expression to Prince Dastan. Whichever way, there's a pause while we wait and see what he is making for us.


So, in the meantime, I thought I might take some time out and pause to share a drink with Jake. This has absolutely nothing to do with it being a very hot and sticky night here, perfect weather for sitting outside a bar, watching the crowds gather for some outside Shakespeare, and letting the time pass with a cool, iced cocktail. Nothing to do with that at all.


Most famously, Jake has been seen enjoying the effects of a glass or two of red at the pre-Oscar CAA party back in 2006, an occasion where Ang Lee had his hands full with a star who wanted to be in every shot.



Generally, Jake has never been one of those stars seen out every night of the week in the nightclubs of LA, NYC or London but there have been exceptions and these have been special. For instance, during the filming of Jarhead, Jamie Foxx won an Oscar, and if that's not an occasion for a celebratory drink I don't know what is. Jake talks about it here and how he was 'super-excited' for Jamie and so only had an hour of sleep. Well worth the 'wobbly' legs next day.



A memorable scene in Rendition is when Douglas (or Jake) is sitting in the bar in North Africa and he takes solaces from the situation he is facing in the shots on the table in front of him.


And in Zodiac, a great example of Jake's comic timing can be seen with the blue drinks - the Aqua Velva. These high-colour cocktails - seemingly so out of character with Robert Graysmith - are perfectly used tools by Fincher and the scriptwriters, for a moment drawing us away from the dangers on the roads and lakeshores of southern California.


And then there's Jack Twist and Ennis Del Mar, who grew closer and shared a whisky bottle by the fire.



As far as choices of beverage go, Jake was asked once what his favourite tipple was, to which he responded Stella. An excellent choice...


Big thanks to Ruby! Includes pictures from IHJ.

22 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah, those pictures of Drunk!Jake never fail to entertain. They crack me up. A fun post for a hot summer day!

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Amy! I was certainly in the mood for something light and frivolous tonight as it's just so hot! I bet Jake would be so much fun on a night out :D Thanks so much for commenting, Amy!

Anonymous said...

hmm... I'm not familiar with alcohol world so please forgive me but I need to ask: what is Stella Artois (besides great tennis tournament, of course ;-))

Zodiac said...

I bet Jake is a handful when he's drunk. I mean even more than other people. I bet he tries to get on the table and sing "I'm every woman" or hugs everyone around. You just have to keep an eye on him.I think he is clingy and touchy.

Oh to prop him up and feel the delicious weight of his body... *slaps herself*
Drunk people usually feel heavier if you try to help them walk or just to keep them stable. You have a feeling you're dragging a sand bag around. But with Jake I wouldn't mind it at ll.

Thank you, WDW;)

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Morning everyone! Hope everyone had a good night :D

Hi there Ania - Stella Artois is a tennis tournament and a refreshing and not cheap lager from Belgium. Rather tasty too :D

Morning Zodiac! I bet Jake is such a laugh, and the hugging would be good, and maybe the singing?

Have a good day everyone :D

Xenia said...

Drinking with Jake? Yeah, a good bottle of Italian Red maybe, but never without a good meal!
I could cook pasta, Jake could provide for the dessert...;)

Have a great day WDW and everyone! :)

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Morning Xenia! Sharing a bottle or two of red with Jake sounds perfect, maybe sitting by an Italian lake and sharing a big bowl of pasta, and, ahem, dessert... Have a great day Xenia!

Looks like the heavens are going to open here :\

Ruby said...

hmmm Jake for dessert sounds good for me. I certainly wouldn't mind spending a Happy Hour (or several) with him.

I always thought Stella - aka 'wife beater' - was French? But I bow to WDWs superior alcoholic knowledge. :D

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Morning Rubes :D Ooh, Happy Hour with Jake - great idea. I believe that Stella Artois is from Leuven, Belgium :)

Xenia said...

Sorry WDW for going OT, but there's an interesting interview to Jim Sheridan on DGA Site in which he talks about working with Jake and Tobey.

You can find it Here.

And keeeping on going OT, I'm desperately searching for a video of DGA 2006 Photocall,that once you posted here WDW, could you please tell me where I can find it, please? :)

Sorry again for spamming and degressing...:)

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Xenia! Thanks very much for that link - put a post up :D Absolutely fascinating stuff and so good to hear about Brothers at last.

I'll look out for that photocall for you when I get home and send you the link or the video itself :D Thanks again and a big hug!

sheba said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

I can't get over how young he looked in the video! Thanks.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Thanks Anon! Jake does look so young and lovely there :D

Ruby said...

thanks Xenia for the Sherridan link. Interesting stuff.

WDW I'm impressed that you know the town in Belgium. Or do you have an emergency can of Stella in your desk drawer that you just checked? :D

Jake has matured a lot over the last couple of years, I think. Very nicely too!

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hey Rubes! I don't know if this is something I should admit too but I once did a beer tour of Belgium :D All in the name of academic research of course. The chips aren't bad thre either...

I realise I've left out your fave drinking pic from this post, so I'll put it in another one very shortly :D

Jake is maturing so, so nicely :)

Sara Andrea Vera said...

Jake has matured a lot over the last couple of years, I think. Very nicely too!

Oh, yeah!
He has gone from "cute" to "eatable" in a few years... matured indeed!! ;O)

paulh said...

Jake eatable? Control yourselves, ladies! There's only one of him, and he's precious. :-(

I especially like that photo from "Rendition" where Jake/Douglas Freeman is looking moody as he sits in a rooftop bar. He looks very sensuous. Still waters run deep, and he is the deepest.

Anonymous said...

There is a huge set of drunky jake around. I have been trying to find it forever. Anyone knows the link?

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi there Dailing :D I'm not sure which set you mean. The most famous ones are those where Jake's messing about with Ang at the pre-Oscar dinner (I've included one here). Can you remember what jake was wearing, who he was with etc and I'll see if I can find them :D

Anonymous said...

thats the set i was exactly talking about... but as i remembered there were tons of pictures of jake messing up all ang lee photographs.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Morning Dailing! That set was taken at the CAA pre-Oscar luncheon and there's only five pics of Jake playing around, but they are classic! Very funny - poor Ang! Here's the link to the set at IHJ.

IHJ pics