Tuesday 29 July 2008

'Nailed was a blast' and Jake's a winner - 'Can I touch it?'

It's not surprising that with all the gems being uncovered on the net for Prince of Persia, putting us in no doubt that this is going to be a movie of big proportions, there's been little time recently for any of Jake Gyllenhaal's other forthcoming roles. And we're in the fabulous position of having more than one on the way.


An interview with the young actress Jenny Gulley, who is appearing in a US version of Little Britain, reveals that she also has a role in Nailed, as Brenda, the waitress friend of Jessica Biel's character, the one with the nail in her head. Jenny's verdict: 'Nailed' was a blast... It was one of the funnest sets I've ever been on.' Tracy Morgan has also been explaining his role in Nailed recently but this is so full of spoilers that I'll leave it to the link! Suffice to say, however, that a medical dictionary may be a requirement for audiences when (I trust, when) Nailed reaches our screens, alongside the popcorn and Ben & Jerry's.


Trip back to 2006

I've also not had much chance for Jake nostalgia lately, so I thought I'd put that to rights today, and have a look back to February 2006 and Jake's BAFTA win - not what happened on the stage of the Odeon (the same cinema where the premiere of The Dark Knight took place last week) but what happened off it.


Here is an account by BAFTA guest and comedienne Janey Godley of what happened at the Grosvenor Ball, an event that was attended by the enormously and justly proud winner of a gong, Jake Gyllenhaal: 'The show finally finished and we got a car to take us to the ball at the Grosvenor Hotel. As we were walking down the stairs, Jake Gyllenhall [sic] was standing alongside us, clutching his gloriously gold BAFTA award. A lady beside me asked him “Can I touch it?”'


'Jake smiled and held it to her to touch; we all slowly kept making our way slowly on the stairs. He smiled at me and I said “Can I stroke it?” He politely held it to me and I added quickly “No…not that!” and he laughed out loudly and people around us laughed. He then opened his expensive black jacket and said “Help yourself” So I stood there and giggled as I stroked his very toned chest!'


'He then lifted up the back of his jacket and grabbed my hand and put it on his ass and added “You want some of this!” I kept laughing, his smile was huge and he obviously has a good sense of humour. I told him I was a stand up comic and he answered “I love stand up, wow what’s your name?” We chatted a bit more and then reached the ground floor entrance to the ball. What a guy, we then posed for a picture. I was well happy!' The picture that Janey took is tiny, but at least she has one. I wouldn't mind learning more about her encounter with George Clooney in the gent's loo that night (there is another picture from that).

Jake wasn't just a hit amongst voters, comediennes and partygoers, the press loved him too: 'There was no doubting the press pack's favourite winner of the night - Brokeback Mountain star Jake Gyllenhaal. A warning "not to salivate or sigh too much" when he came in the press room went largely unheeded, and he was greeted with whooping and cheering when he returned with co-star Heath Ledger and director Ang Lee. Gyllenhaal turned the table on the hacks with a question of his own. "I have a question for the radio people," he announced. "I was looking for a little hip hop in the car [on the way to the awards] and I could not find any." Well, even a Hollywood star's gotta relax those nerves somehow. A chap from Radio 1 suggested he try his station on a Friday night. Not much help on a Sunday though, is it?'


And here is another account of that memorable day: 'Jake Gyllenhaal, of course, full of the exhuberance of youth and what not, played his nominations the other way. "Every film you make you assume you're going to get this response, so for those that don't it's all a bit underwhelming!" And what of being in the soggy British weather? "Man, I love it. Britain is worth it. I feel I've always been embraced by British audiences in particular, doing This Is Our Youth on stage and then when I came for Donnie Darko. It's just great to be here."' I love a man who appreciates British weather.


Jake had to beat not just one George Clooney but two to get that award, but Jake had nothing but admiration for his foe: 'Having snatched the Best Supporting Actor gong from under the nose of “The George twins,” as he labelled Clooney’s double nomination in the category, Gyllenhaal had nothing but praise for the Syriana star. “He came up to me on the red carpet and said ‘You’re so gonna lose.’ I gave him one of those,” Gyllenhaal throws a mock punch. “George has such courage as a filmmaker, when you consider the position he’s in, he doesn’t have to work like that but he does it from the heart.”'


Winning the BAFTA put a huge smile on Jake's face and, in addition to carrying the award itself home on the seat next to him on the plane, someone else recalls: 'I’ll note that it was also moderately exciting to be flying back to Los Angeles last night on the same plane as Jake Gyllenhaal. He was seen at baggage claim, clutching his BAFTA award for his performance in Brokeback Mountain.' Although I have no idea why it should be 'mystifying' that Jake should be travelling on the same plane as Justin Timberlake.

And here we can enjoy Jake's (and Ang's) words backstage just after receiving his award.



Includes pictures from IHJ and links.

36 comments:

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi everyone - just wanted to say that the post has been delayed tonight because Microsoft decided my laptop needed 55 updates without giving me any choice. Also Blogger broke and wouldn't let me update some of my chosen photos. think I have to throw something... Hope everyone else is having a good evening!

Zodiac said...

Brilliant post, WDW. I love that BAFTA night. He was luminous. He was so happy. He so deserved it.

And the "stroking" woman? God, some people have courage to talk to JG like that. I say, good for her! Next time I meet Jake I already have a line to start our conversation with. Well, if Reese is not in sight...;)

Thank you very much again. You brought wonderful memories to me tonight.

Ruby said...

Hey WDW! Nice memories there, thanks. :) mmmm, stroking....

Sorry to hear of your computer woes. It's all part of the (Microsoft) plan... ;-)

I have had the kind of day that made me want to punch something. Fortunately it has left me too tired to do much of anything, so I can stay non-violent. :D

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Zodiac! So glad you liked the post - this was such a wondrful night - happy Jake being cheeky and flirty. And what a great way to start chatting him up :) He was luminous. Very happy you liked the memory :D

Hey Rubes - sorry you had such a bad day :( I've had an amazingly frustrating evening due to Microsoft and Blogger. Also, why would anyone need 55 updates in one go? And it really was 55... Glad to hear no punches are coming this way - take it easy x

KeepCalm+CarryOn said...

Oh wow,WDW,I know you've had frustration aplenty getting this post up here, but it was certainly worth the wait for us and hopefully you'll deem it worth the effort too,once the steam stops coming out of your ears! ;-)

It seems to me that,for all our fears when we originally heard the basic premise of "Nailed" and all the financial and logistical tribulations they had getting it made,it could turn out to be a real scream,if the feedback from other cast members is anything to go by. I'll bet Jake was one of those primarily responsible for making it such a fun shoot.

As for the memories of that glorious Bafta night,you've got me bathed in the rosy glow of nostalgia,with a wistful tinge or two of blue. That was such a wonderful night,seems five minutes ago not two and a half years! What in the hell happened to all that time?!

I'm not surprised Janey Godley was "well happy" having a close encounter of the flirty kind with young Mr.G. Honestly Jake,you're such a tart! ;-) I've been thinking what I might use for openers should I ever,by some miracle,get the chance to meet him. Somehow I think "'Ello darlin',how's yer bum off for finger-prints?!" might not set quite the right tone ;-) What say you,WDW?

The only way that the "Brokeback Baftas", as I like to call them, could have been bettered in any way for me would have been if Heath had won the award for "Best Actor" which,surely, was rightfully his. :-( I know "if only"s are pointless but they abound...

I loved that last promotional video with some of my favourite Jake-quotes,the adorable Ang and the dark chocolate rumble of Heath's beautiful voice- I really am going to have to brave another viewing of "Brokeback" really soon...

Sara Andrea Vera said...

BRILLIANT POST!!!
I want to touch "it" too!!! :O) LOL :O)

I loved reading about the BAFTA night. I loved the photos too but I had mixed feeling with the one of Jake and Heath's. Heath's funny face made me laugh as always, but Jake looks so sad... :O(

For me Jake beats Clooney any day!

(I'm becoming addicted to this bog)

Have a Jake night!!!

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Good to see you, Nadine! Fortunately the air has turned less blue and I'm calmed down. I have been looking forward to doing this particular post for about 2 weeks but at least I got some pics in there :)

This was a great night and also it's the night I got my first autograph from Jake, although not in person, unfortuately, a friend was there and got it for me. I remember watching it on TV and I swore that night that I would never miss a chance to see Jake again. So it was a turning point for me. And it was an incredible joyous occasion for Jake. I wish Heath could have got his award too, obviously.

I just loved Janey's story and it captures Jake's ebullience and happiness and shows, as we know, what a wonderful, gorgeous flirt he is. I loved that video too. I can't believe it's that long ago!

Anonymous said...

Hey sweetpeeps. Sorry about frustrations, an easy day in this neck a the woods, and only one person got struck dead by lightning this weekend - on the lawn at Tanglewood Music Festival!

gorgeous day - the "boneless blue (of the sky) so deep, said Jack, that he might drown looking up."
One cloud shape look'd like Prince Dastan on his horse -

Miss those days when Jake offered his smile and person to "all who needed consolation", but Im not sure I believe Jake really let the blogger feel him up (and down) - ??? whatcha think?

BAFTA night: o god Jake was so young! heath and michelle so beautiful. . . bittersweet memories.

I think the brief plot of Brothers is well known enuff not to have to indicate a * * * possible spoiler* * *but I'll do it just for WDW who is holding her ears - lalala not listening. . .

but I figure this will be a natural win for Jake, but Tobey's triumph. Although Id like it to be Natalie's.

Sara Andrea Vera said...

The only way that the "Brokeback Baftas", as I like to call them, could have been bettered in any way for me would have been if Heath had won the award for "Best Actor" which,surely, was rightfully his. :-( I know "if only"s are pointless but they abound...

I hope the organizations that give the awards (BAFTA, Oscar, Golden Globes, etc.) learn that they have to give the awards to who deserves it even if that person is young. The Supporting Actor nominees have better chances but for the Leading Actor awards they tend pass the younger (or least experienced) ones thinking that "they have many years ahead to win". We know that it's not always true... :*O(

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hey Sara! Great to see you again - I'm so glad you're getting addicted :D And I'm really pleased you enjoyed the post - I want to touch it too! I think Jake should let us... in an orderly line, of course... That's such an enigmatic picture of Jake and Heath - I get so many mixed feelings from it myself. And much as I like George, no competition at all! Have a great night too :D

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Pia! Oh blimey, not good for Tanglewood - I always thought that was a type of beer... or am I thinking about Tanglefoot?

I reckon Jake was on such a high that night that I don't see any reason to doubt the blogger. And it was just a little touch :D

Lalalalala... not listening.... Brothers.... lalalala! But seriously, I want this one all for Jake (never having been a Tobey fan in the slightest and not expecting to become one).

Hi Sara :) That is a good point. I do agree that it's easier for a young actor to win best supporting actor. But how sad is that to think that sometimes the time can run out. But such a great night for Jake :D What a happy face!

Anonymous said...

This post is just an absolute delight!!!! I cannot thank you enough. I'd never heard the "Can I touch it!" story before and was laughing outloud. Jake is such a devil!!!!;) And the look back video was very touching. Made me tear up. That music always has, but now, even more.

sheba said...

Zowie WDW, you did it again. Another fabulous post, thank you so much. *Deep Sighs - no drool though* Hope your computer woes are behind you now and that your car's ok now.

I love Tracey Morgan's deadpan crazy he has rolled up inside of him that he occasionally lets out. I'll read his account later. Nailed is going to be one crazy zany happy caper. I loved Bubble Boy for all the reasons one wouldn't expect, I expect to do the same with Nailed.

As for the BAFTAs, I often wonder what the winners do after they've won and got back to their suite/room/home on their own behind closed doors. I can just imagine Jake doing a one handed cartwheel with the BAFTA in the other hand. Did he put it on his pillow beside him that night? Did he talk to it like he does his SatNav? Did he order it room service? (sorry being a little silly here).... just wondering.

His kilowatt smile must have lit up all of the West End two years ago. I've never heard so much excitement for a BAFTA win as his was and long after. I think we Brits fell in love with Jake's body of work long before we fell in love with his body :DD

Lord, give me the strength for when I meet him not to just touch him but to ask permission first.... :o/

sheba said...

BTW... so heartwrenching to hear Jake talk about how unafraid and comfortable he felt being around Heath and the 'aura' he has "I don't know what it is maybe its his Australian background.. he just makes me feel comfortable". Who knew that bond would be forged forever in the movie and in real life.

Nicole said...

Great post WDW!! I love hearing information about Nailed!! After reading the interview with Tracy Morgan the scene that i described now makes a little more sense! cant wait to see the whole movie though!! fingers crossed for it!

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Good morning everyone! Is it Friday yet...? Fortunately, Blogger seems to be fixed this morning, fingers crossed.

Hi there anon :D I am so glad you enjoyed the post and that it brought you a range of feelings and emotions. This post is one I've been looking forward to doing. Thanks for commenting!

Morning Sheba! I love that idea of Jake doing a one-handed cartwheel while clutching his BAFTA! I can see it on his pillow too (well, I wish I could...) I wonder where he keeps it and if it has pride of place. It clearly meant a huge amount to him and he was such a popular winner! Maybe this is the way to go, if you want to touch, ask first!

Hey there Nicole, it's so good to hear anything about Nailed and what fun it was on set, and of course we have firsthand accounts that this was very much the case ;D I am quite squeamish though... :D

Have a great day everyone - another hot and muggy one here.

Anonymous said...

Love this post - always nice to revisit Jake's BAFTA win! I lost count how many times I've watched that acceptance speech and Heath patting his arm... *sighs*

Janey Godley is a blast, seems like being a comedienne gives her a freepass to flirt with Jake and demand physical contact!! I am so jealous!!

my macbook's airport card is broken, now it's in the shop... hopefully i'll get it back soon and have 24/7 internet access again...

have a good day, everyone.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Morning Winterbird! Sorry to hear about your computer troubles - I feel like if I touch anything, it breaks at the moment :\ Janey is so cheeky and it paid off, although maybe that's not the best tactic in a street situation!

Hope everyone's having a good day :)

Anonymous said...

Looks like another lovely day with Jakey clouds in the sky -

however I remain thunderstruck that J invited Janey Godley to run her hands all over his body - must revise my "I just wanna kiss you" approach line. . .

hey, everybody!

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Morning Pia! Blimey, it's flippin' hot here, not many clouds of any kind. I think the 'I just wanna kiss you' approach would still be suitable for non award-party situations :D

Hope you're having a lovely day! Mine is not good, so a Jake smooch would be much appreciated if there's one going :)

Anonymous said...

I dunno Im pretty well convinced that "can I stroke it" is a great pick up line.

(although I recall J telling an interviewer she was surprisingly pervy for wanting his Santa Hat)

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hey Pia! I remember that! And I think it was one of the UK radio interviews - possibly the same one - in which an interviewer remarked how she wouldn't have minded being the girlfriend in Jarhead having seen the scene where he's 'holding her up' ahem... I wonder what happened to the Santa hat.... :D

Anonymous said...

Jake was so incredible on Bafta night. Was so happy for him and he was just the ultimate beauty. Thanks for the wonderful and bittersweet memories, WDW!

So happy to hear about
POP going so well! Am very excited for it. :)

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Good to see you Get Real :D I have such memories from that night, I just can't believe it's that long ago now. Jake was so beautiful that night :D See, I have a bad day and then I just have to think that and I get a smile on my face :D Hope it's not too hot over there in the Big Apple.

Anonymous said...

No WDW it was a UK video interview and he said he would send her the santa hat even though it thot it pretty pervy. :D

hi Get Real! How was your visit to the Cape? Got friends in Truro this week. Im so envious!

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Pia! Oh yes, Get Real, you were near MV! Hope you had a really good break :D

Monica said...

Hello, Wet Dark!
It is an emotion remind the Bafta Awards 2006, as I feel like the best moment of the awards Brokeback!

My eyes were filled with tears when reviewing Heath and Jake together.

Anonymous said...

Thanks Pia and WDw! I had a wonderful time on the Cape. Pia, we were in Truro. So beautiful there. Great weather Friday and Saturday. Sunday was okay but we got those bIg storms you and
Paul got. Never saw such lightening. Overall a fantastic time.

Anonymous said...

I should say thanfully the stoems hit Sunday night so we were able to enjoy the daytime.

Anonymous said...

I should say thanfully the stoems hit Sunday night so we were able to enjoy the daytime.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

I'm so glad you had such a good time, Get Real, although with storms. We had storms here too, but also at night. Mind you, we are forcast hot temperatures and heavy heavy rain all day tomorrow. I do apologise for talking about the weather so much, it comes from being English ;D

But to get OT: Jake is hot :D

Anonymous said...

"Jake is hot"

Can I touch it? :D :D

paulh said...

"we are for(e)cast hot temperatures and heavy heavy rain all day tomorrow. I do apologise for talking about the weather so much, it comes from being English" [WDW]

Well, what's my excuse, then? Hot heavy rain, eh? Sounds ideal for outdoors showering, if you've got some private areas in the backyard ;-).

That anecdote about Jake being stroked was hilarious! He is really a funny guy in private.

Anonymous said...

"He smiled at me and I said “Can I stroke it?” He politely held it to me and I added quickly “No…not that!” and he laughed out loudly and people around us laughed."

heh heh not exactly privately, Paul. :D :D

Wet Dark and Wild said...

If anyone is doing any touching it's yours truly. :-).

Anonymous said...

wet dark and wicked!