Saturday 5 July 2008

Take a trip to the moon and Anne's defining moment

It's time for the Martha's Vineyard Dreams auction again - last year, you might remember, there was the chance to bid to build sandcastles with sandcastle-building champion himself Stephen Gyllenhaal. This year, the Dreams auction gives the lucky bidder the chance to spend quality time with someone who's not a million miles removed from Stephen Gyllenhaal in lineage - Jake Gyllenhaal.


'TAKE A TRIP TO THE MOON WITH DOUG LIMAN AND JAKE GYLLENHAAL…Count on gravity to keep you earthbound for an out-of-this-world VISIT TO THE SET of Bourne Director DOUG LIMAN'S upcoming untitled movie about the colonization of the moon starring the Island's own JAKE GYLLENHAAL. The Lucky Dreamer and a guest will meet Doug and Jake for a photo op, and will also receive an autographed screenplay and two tickets to the premiere.'


Other Dreams include one Jake might well bid on himself - watching a Red Sox game from the owner's box. Another is spending the morning with Diane Sawyer but Jake's already done that. Golf, fishing, prehistoric paintings in France, cooking treats and theatre outings all feature, but it's difficult to get past that one listed at the head of the page with one of MV's most well-known and certainly one of its sexiest islanders, and I'm not talking about Bill Clinton.


But what is also interesting about this is that it yet again brings The Unnamed Moon Project - otherwise known and beloved as UMP - to the foreground when it has been very much pushed to the background by director Doug Liman himself. From recent accounts, the script is being rewritten and is far off, to say the least. So, this auction lot either means that the MV organisers have been given information that makes this a reliable lot to bid on, or there's a bit of wishful thinking going on and who knows what the winner will get - maybe even his money back. But the winner last year did get to build sandcastles...


But, on the plus side, it's always good to get little nuggets of information about future projects because, after all, this is often all we get and then the next thing you know there's Jake riding around an English stables with a big grin on his face and a scimitar in his hand. Talking of which...



Cover girl Anne remembers Brokeback

The lovely Anne Hathaway is on the cover of Marie Claire for August and in the issue she discusses Brokeback Mountain, clearly a major turning point in her flourishing career. 'After auditioning, Hathaway landed the role of Jake Gyllenhaal’s wife. The first time she saw the film, at the 2005 Venice Film Festival alongside Lee and co-stars Gyllenhaal and Heath Ledger (when asked about the tragic death of her co-star and good friend, she describes it as ‘devastating’ and ‘a shock to us all’), she almost didn’t make it through. ‘I’m not in the movie until, like, 45 minutes into it,’ she explains, ‘and I start to get sick to my stomach, thinking that I’m gonna be the one to fuck it up. So, right before I come on, I run outside because I can’t handle it.’'


'Eventually, Hathaway came back in and watched without incident – until the last scene, when she burst into tears. ‘Didn’t stop for an hour. And Kirsten Dunst, who was going out with Jake at the time, was like two rows behind me, as was Maggie [Gyllenhaal], and we were all crying,’ she recalls, laughing.'


Last month, when Anne arrived in Australia for the premiere of her film Get Smart, she had this to say: 'But there was one other role she considers a personal breakthrough - playing Jake Gyllenhaal's wife in Brokeback Mountain. Hathaway said she had sobbed for an hour after seeing the film. "That was the film that I decided I wanted to be an actor," she said. "I didn't know if I had the chops for it. It was the first time I really came up against my own limitations and surpassed them. I remember thinking if this possible once, it's possible again and it's worth spending the rest of my life trying to get back to this place. Before then, I was having a lot of fun acting but it didn't feel inevitable."'


Pictures from IHJ and Marie Claire.

22 comments:

JoeAnn said...

Nice update, WD&W. I always felt a little bad for Annie that she didn't seem to get as many nods back when BBM collecting its accolades. I came out of the theater just as impressed with her as I was with Michelle Williams. It's nice to see her role in BBM has inspired her to put more effort into her acting--not that she was lacking before. Seeing her in a grown up role in BBM was a real revelation, at least for me.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Morning JoeAnn :D I was amazed by Anne's performance too, not at all what I was expecting. And she certainly deserved a houseful of accolades for the phone scene alone. I'm always keen to watch Anne's films now - The Devil Wears Prada is one of my favourites - love it :D

Have a good day everyone - hope the weather clears up for the tennis :\

Anonymous said...

There is a picture of Jake and Reese cuddling at the concert in London on IMDB

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Anon :) I've seen the pic - it's from the Jack Johnson show at the big gig that was on in Hyde Park at the end of last week.

I've got my fingers crossed they'll be at the tennis :D

Anonymous said...

I hope Jake isnt going to hide that gorgeous mop of hair under a hoodie when he's out and about. Not quite long enuff yet for a pony tail.

Anne was terrific in BBMt - and to recall that all of the major actors in that film were so young!

And there's nothin' like Jake in a black velvet jacket!

Maggie Thatcher in the Royal Box at Wimbleton yesterday - hopin' for some royalty, today. What's the weather? Thunder and humid here -

Thanks for the post, WDW -

I see the Aussies have arrived in NYC for TDK premiere. Bless their hearts, and courage, this can't be easy.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Morning Pia! Love Jake in a black velvet jacket. I'm certainly hoping we're going to see more of Jake minus the hood - I need daily reports on how his hair is growing :D Jake with a pony tail ... Hmmmm.

Just amazing to think how young the BBM four were.

The tennis starts within the hour if the rain holds off. Heavy showers forecast but due to clear up later. Keep your eyes peeled :D

Anonymous said...

Good post, WDW. And yes, Anne was underappreciated in BBM. But all Brokies know she deserves at least a nomination just from the scene of the phonecall *sobs*

Jack Johnson?? the bland *cough* safe *cough... urgh... don't scream at me, but I have deduct two cool points... oh well... maybe he was being talked into going to that gig. *a girl can find excuses for her man*

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Winterbird :D Can you tell it to stop raining in London please? I think we'll all cheer when Anne gets an award. You share my feelings exactly about Jack Johnson - snooze.... So maybe it was a case of - I'll watch your band if you watch mine - and then he got the earplugs out :D

Good job Winterbird! They're taking the covers off :D

Anonymous said...

It's about time! but judging by the grey sky and clouds... the match is likely to be interrupted at some point.

so... no "sighting" on the boxes yet?

I kind of hope Federer to win, but so far I've seen Nadal beat him twice already this year (both on clay court though). I hope it will be a good match at least.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

At the risk of having TL go for my throat, I want Roger to win :D Nadal can win next year. Players are just coming out and we might get a shot of the box!

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Ugh rewarded with the sight of Boris Johnson in the box :(

Back OT - Jake is hot.

Anonymous said...

Jack Johnson?? the bland *cough* safe *cough... urgh... don't scream at me, but I have deduct two cool points...

You share my feelings exactly about Jack Johnson - snooze.... So maybe it was a case of - I'll watch your band if you watch mine - and then he got the earplugs out :D

I don't know why you would think Jake isn't a fan. He's already shown he has questionable taste in music. Rufus Wainwright anyone. Oh I know I know, he's sacred ground around here, but he's still terrible. ;p

Wet Dark and Wild said...

As this is my own blog, I'm entitled to an opinion on it, 'music lover'

Anonymous said...

Ben Harper was also on the showbill with Johnson. Maybe that's who they really wanted to see.

Monica said...

Hello, wet dark!
Excellent post! Excellent choice of photos!

Today is the final of the men at Wimbledon!
Go, Rafael Nadal, GO!

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Ola Monica! So glad you liked the post and pictures :D The tennis is so good, the sun's even come out. Come on Roger!

Anonymous said...

Great post today, I really liked Anne in Brokeback too, and am following her work.

I tend to be very open about music because I love it so - songs from way back in my Daddy's day to avant garde, folk and country, classical, opera, jazz, R&B, rap, world. I adore Rufus, and a song or two by Jack Johnson. I'm cheering for Nadal today, and he's up two sets. :)

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Thanks for the comment, Anon :) One of the things I've always enjoyed is the breadth of Jake's music tastes and through him I've discovered an appreciation of some bands I may never have listened to otherwise :D

I'm cheering for Roger but it's not doing him any good!

Ruby said...

Hi WDW and everyone. Hope you are all having a nice weekend. :)

I can't get enough of Jake on a horse. :D Is there any more?

I just booked to see TDK at the Imax in Waterloo. :D
It's booking up fast.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Ruby! Hope you're having a good weekend :D That is a big screen to see TDK on - wow! Never enough Jake on a horse.... never enough Jake in riding boots....

Anonymous said...

I cannot believe rafa is actually beating Roger on grass...I can't wait to see the outcome!
As for the new pic of jake and reese at the concert, I love it!

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Jazz_Girl! Fortunately, Roger has been saved by the rain.... for the time being :\