Saturday 2 August 2008

Jake Gyllenhaal's experience of working with animals

Jake Gyllenhaal has a rapport with animals, of this we can be sure, and, no doubt, this will further be revealed by Jake's interaction with snakes, monkeys and camels in The Prince of Persia. But as we have to kick our heels and tap our fingers for a fair bit before we can enjoy that for ourselves, I thought today I'd have a look at the role of animals in Jake's working life - this post therefore excludes actual pets and it also excludes actual horses, because we've talked about them recently. It does not exclude plastic lobsters standing on their heads.


But, before dismissing Jake's pets all together, I should quote from Jake's account of his childhood experience of owning small, furry (sort of) animals: 'My parents got us two little poodles that were unshaven, they were all scraggly and dirty and everything. And I had hamsters that ate themselves! That happens. The poodles didn't eat them.' I must say that Jake is lucky his hamsters were intent on eating each other and not bits of him. Maybe the poodles had a sense of humour - that can make up for looks.


Part and parcel of being an actor is that you have to work with animals. Jake has been fortunate in that they haven't featured in every movie - Robert Graysmith was far too obsessed to own an animal and Douglas Freeman didn't have the time in his job to look after one.


Cats and dogs

I believe that Jake has never played a cat owner, although he has been one in real life. I have strongly resisted the urge to post the picture of Jake with the kitten. Instead, this is the only on-screen occasion that I can find of Jake with a cat, but it's not necessarily the kind of cat-owning behaviour I would advise.


The evil doctor didn't just use laser cats, he could call on another species in times of dire need.


Dogs have also featured elsewhere. In Moonlight Mile, Joe took care of Nixon the dog, which had unusual and interesting digestive habits, little improved, I would have thought, by the amount of peptobysmal Jake kept feeding him.


Both Jack Twist and Ennis Del Mar had to be good with animals, both when at work and when off duty (or, as in this case, skiving).


Sam had less of a rapport with animals, especially canines.



Small, furry animals

Despite Jake's personal bad experience with cannibalistic hamsters, as Jimmy he had much in common with his guinea pig.


Rabbits have quite possibly - with the exception of horses - been the most popular animals in Jake's films and all kinds have been seen, and not all of them have been small and furry.



Not being a naturalist or a vet, I am not 100% sure that these following animals are rabbits, but going by earlength I am putting them in this class.



Ugly animals

Fortunately, ugly creatures are seldom seen in Jake's films. The most notable examples were Jarhead's scorpions. I thought that instead of posting a picture of a scorpion, I would post a picture of Jake looking at a scorpion.


And although Tobey Maguire did get the highly sought after Spider-Man role, young Jake did give it a good go.


Human-alligator hybrids were also a feature of Highway, and of no other Jake movie (of course, I can't know this for sure about the forthcoming releases, but I'm relatively confident).


Working animals and farm animals

Not surprisingly, the film about sheepherders features the largest number of working animals. In addition to the previously mentioned dogs, there were also several hundred sheep (not all of which were real but all of which were stupid).



I don't know whether bulls in a rodeo count as working animals or not, and I have even more trouble classifying this make of bull.


There was a cow in Bubble Boy, or rather two halves of one cow. Be thankful that in this picture it's enjoying (albeit dead) the final seconds of still being in one piece.


Wild animals

Coyotes usually thrived when Jack Twist was around, but when Jack and Ennis teamed up, elks didn't have it too good.


When Sam wasn't battering wolves over the head with a torch or leading them a merry dance through the bowels of a Russian ship in the heart of frozen Manhattan, he usually had little but the weather to contend with. But, at one point, Jake did find himself in a previous Ice Age and in another Roland Emmerich movie.


No animals were hurt during the making of this post - except for the CGI ones (they all came a cropper).


Thanks to Ruby for reminding me of certain animals (of course, I'm not saying that Ruby herself reminds me of certain animals but that her list did - camels were a no-go though). Includes pictures from IHJ and Sam's Path Petting Zoo.

36 comments:

Anonymous said...

In the one pic where Jake/Jack has the sheep in his lap and is tending to it... wish that was me all snug up against him.

I have it a new low, envying a poor sheep.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Anon :D You're not the only one! The picture of Jake pulling out the grass suck in its feet is one of my favourite of all Jake pics (the one here shows it being taken). At least these sheep were given some compensation for being, well, sheep :D Thanks for commenting!

Anonymous said...

All my little sheep (can't count the stuffed fellows - too many and I don't want to fall asleep trying to count them - it started many years ago with one little sheep and now I have a huge international flock here) I have at home wants to have a special shepherd called Jack. They envy their *cousins* getting such a treatment. They would love to get some cuddling - like some other human beings. :o)

T.

paulh said...

Jake/Sam climbing the side of a Russian ship in snowy weather was a great image, WDW. Thank you for this cool image on a hot day.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi T! You collect sheep? At least you can name them after all the sheep in BBM. I'm afraid to say that my flat is full of cuddlies of every variety but with emphasis on dragons and birds. I'm sure Jake would love to come round and shepherd them too - actually, I'm sure Jake is a dab hand with a needle and thread and he could stitch some of 'em up...

Hey Paul! I love that picture too :D

Anonymous said...

Awwww, I love that scene in BBM too where Jack is removing a stone or something from the lamb's hoof -I love when people show tenderness to animals, or compassion and protection for those who maybe are not as strong as they are. You see it frequently with those who love animals. And warrior princes. The only thing that makes fighting noble, IMO, protecting your tribe. My stuffed animals are of all kinds, and yes, I still do have and collect them. :)

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Chuckle anon :D I appreciate those who look after animals and also make good warrior princes - so I think that may narrow it down to Jake :D Good to hear I'm not the only collector - I reckon Jake may have one or two himself, but maybe he's had enough of rabbits :)

Anonymous said...

Lovely post, WDW, and thanks for including the Berlin bear - a particular favourite :)

Anonymous said...

Actually I tell everyone *no more sheep!* - but I get more. But my best friend is still looking to get a black sheep with blue eyes and long lashes... his name will be just *J* then. Most of them has names given by friends. :o)

The wolves in TDAT looked scary - my stuffed one is much nicer and friendly. :o)

Maybe there'll be some sheep in PoP too... :o) Then my firends will call it "2nd J & sheep movie".

T.

Ruby said...

heehee. R says I'm like a cat because I sleep a lot and like to be stroked. Oops, tmi probably! :D.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Thanks Anouska :D I love that picture so much - Jake is a fabulous hugger!

Hey T - I think you have to find your black J sheep. I had a pink sheep but someone pointed out to me that it was actually a pig.

Oh Rubes! I hate to ask what animal Mr R reminds you of... Mr WDW has been compared to a dormouse because he always falls asleep when he's cooking something in the oven - an annoying and risky habit.

KeepCalm+CarryOn said...

Awwww,such a lovely post,WDW! It's one of my favourite things about Jake that he has such a love of and rapport with animals. Just hope poor Atti doesn't pine too much when his "Dad" is away working :-(

Must confess to preferring the company of animals to people much of the time, my two cats are spoilt and idolised in equal measure...and while in confessional mode,I too have to own up to a shelf full of teddy-bears in our bedroom. Hubby can't complain because he bought most of them for me but we've had to put a moritorium on any more ;-)

*Waves to Nouskie and Rubes* xxx

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hey Nadine! So good to see you and I'm glad you enjoyed the post - I had SO much fun doing it and chasing out the photos. I can't have pets myself due to the size of my flat, but I certainly would like to be able. Mind you, with all this time I spend on WDW, it's probably just as well I don't have a pet :\ They'd have to learn to use a canopener. I have just the one ted amongst all my critters and he knows he's special :D His middle name has been Jake for a few years now ...

Zodiac said...

I've been envying that sheep for more than two years now. Where is the love, Gyllenhaal? I mean, where is the love? You're cuddling a stupid (you said it yourself) sheep not knowing how many people would trade places with it in the blink of an eye. How can a sheep appreciate a gyllenhug?

Lovely post, WDW:)

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Zodiac! Sheep envy... clearly a serious condition amongst Gyllenhaalics :D Sheep are too stupid to appreciate a Gyllenhug and are much better off with mint sauce. I said that and I'm a veggie so I'll go and sit on the naughty step.

Let's have some love for Bubble Guinea Pig :D

Zodiac said...

WDW, where is he lobster picture from? I've never seen it before.

Ruby said...

I love Bubble guinea pig!

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Ahhhh, one of my faves, Zodiac :D Off the top of my head (and I have been Jaking all day so it's getting a little blurry in there) I think this was from the MTV awards, possibly in 2005. But this was from my preblogger days when I saved pictures with such useful names as 'lobster Jake' :(

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hey Rubes! Me too! I wonder what happened to him....

Joan said...

Does anyone know whatever happened to Jake's puggle, Boo Radley?

I've wondered...
-J

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi there Joan :D Unfortunately, when Jake was interviewed around Toronto time (Sept 07), when he was asked, Jake said he no longer had his Boo. Puggles are known for their health problems so this is a real shame and one of the reasons I no longer own a pet. Thanks for commenting :)

Zodiac said...

Guys, please, don't be mad at me and say I spread the rumours,I wanted to share it with you, don't know if it's true, but if it is...he's getting married at Christmas!

So many emotions are going through my heart right now. So many things... I'll talk to you later!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1040920/Walk-The-Line-Reese-Witherspoon-walk-aisle.html

Anonymous said...

I think they will marry and we will not know until long after the event, I also think they are already engaged.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hey Zodiac :D Noone'll get mad at you! (or if they do I'll have to release the TDAT wolves!) Personally speaking, I'm glad I don't have all these 'sources' discussing my own relationship - mind you, Mr WDW could make an interesting subject... So we'll see what happens. But I feel very aware that all this is private speculation and definitely none of my business. I'm also very wary as I have seldom seem so many reports of so many proposals. Too many years as a journalist...

Hi Anon, I think all this is a private matter - so long as Jake's acting career and his ability to look incredible on horseback while waving a scimitar remains unaffected... and I think we're safe on that score :D Thanks for commenting.

Zodiac said...

I know, WDW, you're absolutely right about private speculations and all, but, to me (and I'm talking only about my personal reactions), him being married is a big deal because marriage, in generally, is a big deal to me. Call me old-fashioned or traditional, I don't know. I just know I'll take him from a different perspective when I see a wedding ring on this beautiful finger. It's not about my perception of Jake as an actor but Jake as a person because he doesn't fascinate me only as an actor and I can't pretend I don't care at all who he shares his life with as long as he makes good movies, etc. A husband, a family guy, a dad- he'll never be ol' Jake "the hottest bachelor" again. What I'm saying is that when he's married there won't be just Jake Gyllenhaal to me but Jake Gyllenhaal and his family. I repeat again that this is my personal view and no one has to agree with me:)

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hey Zodiac :) Marriage is always a big deal - many of us here are married (although not to each other ;D) but it doesn't mean you stop fantasising :D

For me, because my primary preoccupation has always been Jake the hot actor, things would never change, if and when he gets married. I adored him when I expected him to marry Kirsten and the same is true now. I'll keep my wall posters and calendars up whatever happens :D But in the meantime this is still just another of those 'sources'.

I'm gonna cheer and swoon away whatever Jake's marital status - makes no odds to me when I'm on that red carpet :D But I'm in no hurry to marry him off so I'll stick in the 'wait and see' camp :D

Anonymous said...

Talking today with a friend about how we wept buckets during our first marriage ceremony and people thot we were weeping with joy, but we were not.

I really dont want to be involved with JBG's personal life which I assume is as complex as any, and I really dont want to fantacize about it. We are so bound by so many things. good night and good luck to all of us, sez I.

I love chocolate labradors. love their silky hides and affectionate personalities. my hair stylist has two that hang about the salon.

Love Jake lickin' his lips in a moment of pleasure (last post) - OMG - I DO want a still or a gif or something.

also anyway WDW you can one day soon fit in a picture of Jake and Heath laughing in front of that campfire where they were filming the "I'll stick with beans" -
"I won't" scene? it was not part of the film.

Jake is my honey bunny, thats for sure.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi there Pia! Hope you've had/having a good day :D That's spooky you should mention that picture of jack and Ennis laughing round the fire. I purposely didn't post it tonight because it belongs with another post I'm planning :D Jake's my bunny too!

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Good morning everyone! Running very late today... And it's wet out there.

Hope everyone has a relaxing Sunday :D

sheba said...

Love Jake lickin' his lips in a moment of pleasure (last post) - OMG - I DO want a still or a gif or something

I know... pure unconscious joy... love it ;D

'Sheep envy' a new addition to the Gyllenhaalic dictionary :DD

It's strange that I admire animals from afar but afraid to touch them. I had so many as a child (fish, parakeets, gerbils, hamsters, rabbits, goats, cats, dogs) and now I can't bear to be around them. Pictures, however, I love. I think I like their innocence. Great pictures WDW, they are so him - I miss the horse shots though :o/

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hello there Sheba :D 'Sheep envy' making an entry in the Guide and Dictionary to Gyllenhaalism! Like that. Liplicking is good...

Maybe you just got sick to death of them, having all those animals around all the time - and that makes for a lot of work. I think I like the idea of pets more than pets themselves....But Atticus looks like a dog with character! I reckon there'll be more pics of Jake with horses soon enough :D Well, not soon enough, actually...

Hope you're having a good day :D

Monica said...

Hello, wet dark!

All photos are wonderful, but missed one with the Boo. I feel that missing dog.
The picture that spoke Pia is my favorite photo of Brokeback. And it became more special to know that he was not looking to Ennis & Jack, but the Jake and Heath.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Ola Monica :D I love th ictures of Jake and Boo - so sad now to think Boo's no longer about. I'll do a Jake with his dogs post soon and then pick my favourite pics of them. Oh and definitely about that picture - it's just even more beautiful to me now that we know it's of Jake and Heath and now Jack and Ennis. Good to see you!

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for all the BBM stuff. I do wish they had put in the deleted scenes. I mean that is part of the fun of owning a DVD. the extra stuff.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Anon :D Thanks very much for commenting! I definitely agree - when you buy a DVD you want all these extra things - it's more than just a film :)

Mark said...

The pic with the bear is cracking me up. Daaaw.