Wednesday 27 August 2008

Taking a breath: Jake Gyllenhaal in Montreal and Morocco

As I am forever saying here (and not just to put a certain tune in your head), it's a small world after all, and today that saying seems peculiarly appropriate and excusable because there is a Disney connection. It turns out that the screenwriter of The Day After Tomorrow, Jeffrey Nachmanoff, is also involved with the screenplay for that other small movie, Prince of Persia.


With Jeffrey's directorial debut, the thriller Traitor, about to be released, he may be looking for the next project: 'Obviously, The Day After Tomorrow and Prince of Persia are on this really big Hollywood scale — I don't think that's probably what I would go to next as a director. But, I like good story-telling.'


Although I am a big fan of TDAT (it was Sam Hall who first fluttered his eyes at me), one can't help but wonder if it was Jeffrey who was responsible for such memorable lines in The Day After Tomorrow as: 'I think we've hit a critical desalinization point' and, my personal favourite, 'I couldn't let you guys leave New York without seeing the Natural History Museum'. In the words of Jake Gyllenhaal: 'I like sitting in a tank with 700 extras going in the bathroom in it, and then reusing that water to then shoot another scene where you're drowning in water, that's disgusting, and it's hard, but it's not as hard as like trying to make a line like 'He will come' work. [Laughter] That's really hard.'


Jake goes on to say that not being able to speak English is not a handicap with this sort of script: 'No, but this is a movie that reaches a lot of people in a lot of different countries all over the world who don't all speak English, and who don't all understand 'Americanisms' and things.'


Jake did have a not entirely appreciated tendency on the set of TDAT to try and rewrite his lines: '"I probably annoyed the s -- - out of them because I really don't like the generic way things go,'' Gyllenhaal says. 'I rewrote scenes myself and brought them in, which, much to my dismay, they didn't... really... appreciate. But they listened. It's nicer to be heard out and then be thrown out than just be thrown out immediately.'' The aspiring scribe was particularly piqued over classic movie cliches: ''Any time I'd see that, I'd be like, 'That just seems like bulls -- -,'' he says. 'And some of it still is, and some of it isn't.''


Elsewhere Jake said: 'There were a couple of instances where I said, 'No way am I saying that line!' and they rewrote it. There won't be any subtitle saying, 'Sorry, these guys don't sound like real human beings, but they just didn't have the balls to say the dialogue sucked... Coming from a family where my mom is a writer, I just respond to how people speak. I thrive on the process of getting this stuff right. It drove them crazy, but it was fun. You have to entertain yourself when you're spending seven months in Montreal.'


But when all is said and done 'I'm really tired of people taking big summer movies too seriously, you know? We should all have a little fun' and 'Sometimes it's nice to lose a little subtext... Take a breath... for seven months... in Montreal.' I couln't agree more. This also seems like a good place to post another little soundbite for Jake from his promotion for this 'damn cool' movie.



Jake spotted in a North African garden

Jake has been spotted - last Sunday Jake was seen arriving at Yves St Laurent's Jardin Majorelle in Marrakesh. Just the idea of Jake strolling around and enjoying the heady scents and colours of a North African garden is enough to make me want to see Prince of Persia right now. Hopefully, the film will capture something of this world. It's also good to hear that Jake is getting the chance to play the tourist.



The Unnamed Moon Project is out there

This isn't really news as such, but it does indicate that The Unnamed Moon Project is ticking along, still with Jake's name attached, and possible getting closer by the day - even though no-one will give this poor film a name. Alli Shearmur has been hired by Lionsgate to be its president of motion picture production. In passing, the article comments that Alli is producer of UMP and, not only that, she was also an overseer of that masterpiece Zodiac. Good news indeed and these sound like safe hands.



Includes pictures from IHJ and the Jardin Majorelle.

13 comments:

Sara Andrea Vera said...

Hello!
Excellent post (again)
I can imagine Jake running after the DAT director with the corrected (by him) script in his hand, trying to convince him to change his lines. I'm glad that they accepted at least some of his suggestions.

But as he said, summer movies shouldn't be taken too seriously. Their main purpose is entertaining not finding the true meaning of life.
Of course every now and then we have a summer movie that is fun and has some depth, but it's not usual. Everybody knows that the "serious" movies open in Decemeber just in time to make the cut for the Oscar and all the other awards
(BTW, I can't wait to see "Revolutionary Road". Do you think that Kate is finally going to win? Five nods!)

I think I prefer Jake in Morocco... warm weather = more opportunities of shirtless Jake!!!

See you tomorrow!!
Hugs,

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Thanks Sara! I suppose these blockbuster producers and writers know what they're taking on when they hire actors such as Jake who are more used to movies where they can debate a take without having to worry about hundreds of extras hanging around :D

I do enjoy a summer blockbuster though and I'm glad Jake does. They really do have their place. This summer I have really enjoyed TDK and Ironman. I'm looking forward to seeing Revolutionary Road too.

The good thing about the heat in North Africa is it's a dry heat. Wouldn't mind some of that right now - and some shirtless Jake (well, any kind of Jake...) :D See you tomorrow!

Anonymous said...

Your pictures WDW are so witty. PoP could be a seriously sensual eyeful - and Jake drugged out on the scent of lilies, roses, etcetc and the beauty of his beloved -

I thot we were going to get our ancient persia groove on, with you as our guide. . . will this happen?

Anonymous said...

The Jardin Majorelle is beautiful - love the bright colors, the brilliant blue. :)

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Pia :D I seem to be still up, too warm to sleep tonight. I really like how you put that and that's just what I think we should hope for from PoP - a real feast for the senses with Jake at its heart. I love how these gardens and oases contrast with the sandy mountains and deserts.

Definitely going to get my medieval Persian hat on for a tour - that's not the sort of thing to do lightly - have to dust off my trowel...

Glad you liked the pictures - I like the contrast of TDAT and PoP :D

Hi Anon! Love that blue, just gorgeous isn't it? So clear and bright it makes you feel able to smell the flowers and feel the sun.

paulh said...

I was reading book reviews tonight, when a review for "Prince of Persia: the graphic novel" caught my eye. I put it in my pile of orders, and decided to request it for myself. I've never played the video game, and have no idea what the plot is, so the graphic novel could help me get familiar with the setting. It comes out next month.

Anonymous said...

^^That would be interesting. :)

Anonymous said...

O gosh Im up late, too, watching Democrat convention, but I can sleep late tomorrow, for a change.

I forgot how Bill Clinton makes me all woozy and warm inside. And what a good speaker. And so effing smart.

O I wanna dream of Jake in a persian garden.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Good morning everyone! Propping my eyes up with matchsticks :(

Hi there Paul! I read about this book the other week and I'm definitely interested in getting it as I do think there will be cross-influences. I think you should play the game though :D We should get Zodiac to write a walkthrough and highlight at which % he sheds each item of clothing. Things were getting a little toasty in a Persian bath at about 94% I think!

Morning Anon :D

Hi Pia! I would like to hear Bill's speech. I found out that it is all being covered on a TV channel here but obviously right through the night. Any sign of Maggie?

Jake in a Persia garden is an image to savour :)

Have a good lie-in :D

Have a good day everyone!

Zodiac said...

Your personal PoP expert here:) I'm at 98% and there is this final fight with the guy who started it all, the vezyr or whoever he is. It's extremely difficult and I think I should put it off for a while. I've been playing a lot recently, because I wanted to finish it before the summer holidays end. I've enjoyed it thoroughly and although I remember being very frustrated at some points, because I couldn't get through (and at some stages I managed to do it only by sheer anount of luck), I think it's a great game with a great story. I also wanted to play it to see what parts of the game would make it into the movie eventually.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Morning PoP Expert! 98% wow - I hope you haven't worn the Prince out... Luck plays a huge part when I play it! I am interested to see how the story translates into the film. I wonder how far Jake's got on if he's playing it! Have a good day :D

paulh said...

Does anyone know if Jake has ever played the game?

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Paul :D It'd be good to know - I hope someone asks him when the publicity eventually comes round. If it were me I'd want to see what my character was based on.