Sunday 28 September 2008

Jake Gyllenhaal - 'it has been wonderful and it is wonderful'

Jake Gyllenhaal is 'one of those lucky few who could be a great actor and a movie star at the same time. I think you'll find that most movie actors aren't necessarily great actors and most great actors aren't movie stars.' So said Sam Mendes about his Jarhead Jake in an interview for the BBC. With the sad announcement yesterday of the loss of one of those few screen legends who really did marry great talent with that indefinable cocktail of magic that makes a movie star, it's good to predict that, in the coming decades, Jake could make good that promise foreseen by Sam.


The BBC feature reflects on an incredible year for Jake, in which he starred in Brokeback Mountain, Jarhead and Proof, all in all demonstrating that Jake is much more than 'well-connected eye candy'. As Jake says: 'I have a lot of opportunities and it has been wonderful and it is wonderful.'


Despite having movie star looks, Jake is happy to play with them in order to put on the suit of a character. In this video (see the link below), Jake discusses what is was like to cut off that hair and get the jarhead - one senses that Jake couldn't decide whether to be horrified or exhilerated; probably a mixture of the two. 'First, I was thrown off by it, it freaked me out, and then I started to love it... I'm doing a movie right now [Zodiac] where my hair is longer for the movie and I'm ready for when the movie finishes. I'm gonna cut it all off again. It's in me and I like it!'

'Jarhead' Cast Interviews
'Jarhead' Cast Interviews



'People say your hair's really your identity - you take it away, you lose some identity. But I think you're allowed to look at other things actually more than just vanity and stuff. Physically, I felt my presence much more. I just felt much more present for some reason.'


Always happy to have an excuse to discuss Jake's hairdo, I am for one relieved that Jake reconsidered cutting it all off after Zodiac - in fact he went the other way and grew it longer for Rendition (taking it to almost ponytail proportions with Prince of Persia). However, after Rendition and in time for Brothers, Jake did this for Interview magazine, which appeared on US stands a year ago.


Jamie Foxx also appears in this video (discussing his lovemaking music) and says how he continued to work with Jake once the cameras stopped rolling, encouraging him and advising him, in the same way that Will Smith had done for him.


While I'm in a Jarhead video mood, here is another one in which Jake and Peter Sarsgaard mention how much fun they had on the set, especially filming the football game (and no doubt the scene that followed it).



It also includes one of my favourite moments from any of Jake's films - Swoff reassuring the oil drenched horse.


Includes pictures from IHJ, Getty and links.

14 comments:

Ruby said...

Hello.

Hope everyone is having a good weekend.

Interview Jake is probably my favourite look. :)

It's time he showed his face (and hair) again. It's been a while. That friggin' Mouse is working him too hard.

Anonymous said...

Mouse? What Mouse?

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi there Rubes :D I definitely agree about Interview Jake - I absolutely love that look - I think it's my favourite too. I want to see that face (and hair) too... bloody mouse...

Hi Zodiac! that's Disney's Mickey :D He's a hard task master.

Zodiac said...

Oh, stupid me, of course, the Mouse.

Dear Mickey Mouse,

can we have Jakey back, please?

signed: desperate Gyllenhaalics

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Zodiac! I'll sign that letter :D

Carol said...

Evening

Hope everyone is having a good weekend.

I was actually watching Jarhead today so your post is very timely WDW. Have to say that scene with the oil drenched horse is one of my favourite ever in a Jake movie.

I'll sign Zodiac's letter aswell. The mouse better deliver the goods with PoP for keeping Jake away from us for so long :)

Great pics as always. I love the Interview Jake look aswell.

Anonymous said...

Hey y'all on a Sunday night - one of my favorite programs on public radio. Thistle and Shamrock - Ive always liked Sunday nights.

Interview Jake is my least favorite, I think Jake said to Ellen "that's not me. . . " - I'll take wet dark and wild GQ Jake. And of course VF Jake! Well how about Out Jake. Yay!

(Love Dougie McLean. . .!)

Interview IMHO was first presentation of the "hottest bachelor in America" as a Straight Arrow - the stunning "bike shot" is something, though.

Hope everypeeps had a great weekend!

Anonymous said...

Hey, I hope everyone has had a great weekend! Fall weather has set in folks, and I like it:)

1st I'd like to say, that it was a sad Saturday with Paul Newman passing on. His philanthropy is what I remember best. However, I am happy to notice that I am not the only one who noticed the B&W pic of Paul Newman and Robert Redford come into similarities[WDW and amongst others], (as we can envision and not with script) with J & H's characters in BBM:)) I also thought kind of weird, but of course, in a good way, a sense of connection for us. You know Paul and Robert jumped off of a cliff also, (but for different circumstances and with clothes on!) How crazy it seems with the connections we can make. Maybe the 6 degrees of Jake we could explore!!! Am I reading too much into things again WDW?! It's very possible with me:)

I've not seen Jarhead in a few months, so I'll need to refresh my brain with it, especially the Santa Hat scene!! (which I have replayed again and again) I'm sorry everyone, I truely am a naughty girl by nature;)

But, Jake gets my upmost respect of it all;)))) Hats or no hats!:D

Sweet Jaking dreams to all......

viv:) I'm still giggling!! Whew!

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Good morning everyone! And a lovely day out there :D

Hi Carol! Ooh, that's timely. I was watching the special edition extras the other day and it really put me in a Swoffie mood.

Morning Pia :D I quite like Sunday nights too - we have a big meal and a bottle of wine and settle down with the latest murder mystery on the TV (or, as is the case last night, a programme about inventions and cars that fly - Earth-Effect apparently :D). I gave up on Gemma's Tess - most depressing thing I think I've ever seen. I remember the book being a downer but honestly...

Where was I? Oh yes... Jake has done some fabulous magazine covers. I love the Out and GQ and VF ones (cracked me up when Jake signed that for Ted and Lisa and said something like 'Hello handsome!') but Interview Jake is my favourite - cool, sexy and direct. Staged I know but the face... Although that outtake of Jake with the guitar is just horrendous! The bike shot though is something else.

Hi Viv! It is strange the coincidences between those two films. And it's odd as I never liked westerns and yet two of my all time faves are (and another I love is Westworld). I don't think you're the only naughty one here :DD And your homework tonight is to watch the Santa dance...

Have a good day everyone :D

paulh said...

Last night I went to see "The Duchess," in which Keira Knightley had to make love to Voldemort (i.e., Ralph Fiennes, who had as much sex appeal as He-who-must-not-be-named). It'll be on television before you know it, as most BBC films are. Well-done, and well-calculated to play to modern sensibilities about women's right to seek something more in life than motherhood and glamor.

Paul Newman was in a few movies with Robert Redford. Jake was in a movie with Heath, but he can't make another one with Heath for obvious reasons. Maybe he'll have screen chemistry with Tobey Maguire. Maybe he won't (we'll know for sure in a few months). Who else is out there for him to make buddy movies with? Ryan Philippe? Owen Wilson? Ewan McGregor? The only pairing I can think that might be plausible would be with Reese Witherspoon.
Don't laugh! She's doing a movie with Vince Vaughn. I personally think she'd be fabulous with Jake in a romantic comedy.

Anonymous said...

Ryan Phillippe as Jake's buddy?

"Weird" would be one of the words to describe THIS situation.

Anonymous said...

Would love to see Jake in a "caper" movie ala Ocean's Eleven (not twelve or thirteen!) and I think he would have great chemistry with George Clooney, Robert Downey, Jr. or Peter Sarsgaard. I'd love to see some smart comedy from him. Key word: smart.

Zodiac said...

I'd love to see him in a comedy but not in a romantic comedy esp with Reese. I like this girl a lot, but it's not the point. Real life couples usually don't have much chemistry on screen. I'd love to see him with Clooney(oooooohhhhh!!!!:)and I want him to make a movie with Coen brothers or Woody Allen or any other kind of black humour, smart comedy. And, of course, the remake of 9 and 1/2 weeks. My brain goes into overdrive every time I try to imagine him doing any of the scenes from this film.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

H there Paul! I did enjoy the Duchess but I was always fascinated by the real story - I think it was even more incredible than the film showed. And I even quite liked Keira (definitely one of my least favourite actresses).

It'll be interesting to see if Jake does have chemistry with Tobey. I love Ewan Macgregor and would like to see him and Jake in a movie. But I'd love to see Jake with RDJ again. I quite like some of Reese's romcoms but I really would not want to see Jake in that sort of film.

Agreed anon!

Hi 14:53 :D A caper movie would be good - if Jake were to get enough screen time. I would just love to see Jake on screen with George Clooney! And yes - any film with Jake and Peter in it - now, they do have chemistry.

Hey Zodiac! I agree that a movie with Reese and Jake in it would seem corney IMO. These films really do not work as they come from the wrong motivation. A smart comedy would be excellent - a verbal comedy and not slapstick. Glad to see we're still on scehdeul with 9 and 1/2 weeks!

Hope you're all having a good day :D