Saturday 27 September 2008

Farewell to a legend - Jake Gyllenhaal on Paul Newman: 'He taught me the things that could go wrong'

I always intended to do a Paul Newman post, but I left it too late. Not only was Paul Jake Gyllenhaal's 'celebrity godfather', he was also the first cowboy I fell for, in the figure of Butch Cassidy. And then, after that, I swooned again when Paul Newman, with another favourite Steve McQueen, took on and beat a towering inferno. I have a weakness for blue eyes but Paul Newman meant a lot more than that, on the screen and off it. A great and charismatic actor with a passion for fast cars, for good food and for his fellow human beings - irresistible mix and not quickly forgotten.


Many Gyllenhaalics also know of Paul Newman because he pops up with regularity in Jake's red carpet interviews - he's right up there with the jellyfish. Interviewers and audiences are fascinated by Jake's Hollywood pedigree and it's difficult to imagine anyone with more pedigree than Paul Newman. And the idea that a 15-year old Jake was taught how not to drive by a movie legend is almost too good to be true.


On the BAFTA red carpet back in 2006, I remember seeing Jake telling a Sky interviewer that this was a bit unfair on his dad, that Stephen had actually taught Jake how to drive, but it was too good an experience not to recount - imagine being driven round a racing track by Paul Newman! Admittedly, approaching a brick wall at 60 miles an hour would also be memorable. Netribution: 'People say, you know, ‘Oh, Paul Newman taught you how to drive, right?’ and I say, ‘No, my father really taught me how to drive and he’s getting a really bum rap because one day Paul Newman did take me out to the race track.’ I said that once when I was doing press when I was 16 years old and now that’s all people write. Believe me I was in awe when it happened. But I think people do sometimes, when I talk to journalists or whatever, kind of like to go, ‘Well, it was this way, wasn’t it?’'


This is how Jake described the unforgettable experience to the Metro: 'Paul Newman taught me how to drive. When I was 15, my mum was writing a script with him and we went out to the racetrack. He threw me in the passenger seat and started driving. We're 100ft from a wall, going 60 miles an hour and he hits the brake and turns the wheel - and the car spins three times. Then he turns to me and goes: 'That was what you don't do.''


Back in 2002, Jake also recalled to Interview magazine that Paul's glasses were dangling from his ear during the drive and that 'Well, you're going almost 200 miles-per-hour, if not faster, right? Your body and hands shake on the wheel as you drive... It's pretty intense.' (I should point out that similar effects can be felt in my car when it approaches 80 miles an hour - I think I'm in the wrong car.)


And showing above all how much a part of the Gyllenhaal household Paul Newman was, Jake told the Scottish Daily Record in 2004: 'I went to the track with him and he took me out in a race car. He taught me the things that could go wrong. When I eventually got my licence, he was at our house cooking steaks and had a knife in his hand. When I came in, he made me go down on one knee, knighted me and gave me my licence.'


In the days when Jake was becoming noticed as someone of great talent who should be watched, a similarity to Paul Newman was noted - and not just because of those eyes. The Telegraph said of Jake: 'Gravity disguised as lightness of manner: that is what critics have identified as the secret of his mesmerising screen presence. Like Steve McQueen and Paul Newman, they say, he knows how to emote without words.' Jake has had a great role model and Paul Newman's loss will be huge for those lucky enough to have known him.


Prince of Persia's goats and chickens

I enjoyed this snippet today: 'Got up at 4 am to bring 5 goats and ten chickens to the Pinewood Studios. They feature in a film called Prince of Persia. We saw the set and had a nice breakfast sat between wonderfully dressed up actors.' Unfortunately no pictures were allowed but I have an image in my head of Jake having to act around 5 goats who are intent on eating the set. Should the production require other foraging critters, I would be happy to oblige and can be reached day or night.


Includes pictures from IHJ.

19 comments:

Zodiac said...

Like I said before, I'm incredibly sad, Mr Newman was a beautiful man, talented, charismatic, Jake was lucky to know him, to have him as a friend of the family.

I also have weakness for blue-eyed men *sad smile*

Goats? Oh God... I still can't get over the sheep he held so tenderly between his thighs in BBM. I hated this sheep. The sheep had a look of complete bliss on its face,(?)by the way. Some hoofed animals get so damn lucky.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hey Zodiac :) Oh it's sad, and I was made sad gathering my notes for this post.

I love our weakness for these blue-eyed men :)

Yep, you now have to deal with jealousy of blissful goats! What about the chickens? I wonder if they'll CGI extra goats as 5 doesn't seem very many.

Anonymous said...

Lovely tribute to Paul Newman and Jake's connection! I'm also old enough to appreciate Old Blue Eyes!

If I were in the neighborhood, I'm perfectly willing to hire myself out to the gameskeeper as an assistant for duties at Pinewood on the PoP set.

I think the goats and chickens would be equally attracted to Jake. I think of Jake as a true force of nature. LOL!

Anonymous said...

wonder how many sheep were CGIed for BBMt - "there's a thousand of 'em" -

once again you find the EXACTLY right picture. it's spooky, WDW -
thanks so much for this lovely post!

Anonymous said...

R.I.P. Paul Newman.

WDW, there's a new write-up from a Brothers screening at NataliePortman.com:

http://www.natalieportman.com/npcom.php?page_number=149&newsid=2519

Can't wait to see Jake with Natalie in this one!!!

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi 19:21! Thanks :D I fell for Butch Cassidy pretty hard. It's strange as generally I don't like westerns but this shows how Paul Newman and Jake take me outside these genres.

It's true - PoP needs a gamekeeper. This role will be added to the list :D I like the 'force of nature' comment!

Hey Pia! Thanks so much for saying that about the pictures. I do think hard about them and it's so good to hear you like the choice.

Hi 19:22! I saw that write up - it's good, isn't it? I do like to hear of Jake and Natalie getting such a good write up. I'm really looking forward to seeing the two of them together. We have a lot to look forward to :D

paulh said...

“I think the goats and chickens would be equally attracted to Jake. I think of Jake as a true force of nature. LOL!” [anonymous]

Let’s be careful not to let those chickens see Jake making omelets, though. ;-)

“I still can't get over the sheep he held so tenderly between his thighs in BBM. I hated this sheep. The sheep had a look of complete bliss on its face,(?)by the way. Some hoofed animals get so damn lucky.” [Zodiac]

Was it a real lamb or a CGI lamb? At least 750 sheep were computer-generated in “Brokeback Mountain.” Jake, however, was *not* computer-generated. He was real. : - )

Paul Newman has been described as a character actor stuck in the bodycvof a leading man. I’ve often wondered if that was also true of Jake.

I’m hoping that Heath will appear in more of my dreams in the future.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Paul :D I really do think that could be true - that we have Jake acting character roles but he has grown into this beautiful and charismatic face and figure and now those 'leading' roles seem to cry out for him. This is a striking similarity with Paul Newman. Here's hoping you get more Heath dreams :)

Monica said...

Good night, Wet Dark!

I was very saddened by the news about Paul Newman. He was a great actor and a great man.

sheba said...

Very true Paul and so true of Jake who has incredible big screen presence.

Thank you WDW, for your tribute to Paul, very appropriate. From what I hear he was an amazing man and so many people couldn't possibly be wrong. Joanne is also an amazing woman, she must be devastated. Paul said of infidelity "why have a cheese burger when you can have steak at home".

I liked his sense of humour and his self-effacing, easy way he had about him. Loved the fact that Jake got knighted after getting his full driving licence:DD

Even in old age he was graceful and eloquent. I could have sworn I saw him last month with some blonde (Gwenyth I think) for some charity where he was dozing off and she poked him awake. In any case he was an example of how to use your celebrity for good.
Got this interesting 'fact' from IMDB on Paul:

"In the 1970s, long before Brokeback Mountain (2005), he was thwarted by Hollywood in his desire to star in the movie version of the best-selling novel "The Front Runner", about the love affair between a male coach and a male star runner. The project remains unmade."

It seems that Paul was born in the wrong time afterall. A gay-rights supporter and activist which was so unusual for people of his generation. He really was ahead of his time.

.... and another quote:

"I would like it if people would think that beyond Newman, there's a spirit that takes action, a heart, and a talent that doesn't come from my blue eyes."

.... amazing man, role model to young actors... so sadly missed.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi there Monica :D Thanks for that.

Hi Sheba :D You put it all so well - thank you so much. I've read quite a bit about Paul today and I'm sadder than ever about it but what a life! I feel inspired to try and do better. I loved a quote I read about how the best sound to Paul's ears was a V-8 engine - me too :D What a day...

Anonymous said...

Such sad news today - I loved Paul, not just because of his beautiful blue eyes and magnificent screen presence, but over the years, his charitable work, and how "un-Hollywood" he seemed to be, no big ego, living far from the bright lights with his wife Joanne Woodward & family, an actor who seemed to have a love of acting itself, not necessarily all that goes with it. A rarity it would seem, but you still see it in a few actors.

My Mom, who was a movie fan too, I credit for introducing me to some wonderful actors and films, her favorites, which became mine too - Paul Newman, Elizabeth Taylor, James Dean, Montgomery Clift. I fell hard for both Butch and Sundance, lucky Katherine Ross!, and one film I will always remember Paul Newman in is The Verdict.

He will be missed. :'( You've chosen some wonderful pics today, WDW.

Anonymous said...

Sigh...rip to a true great, inside and out. He was a major talent (I love so many of his movies) as an actor, stunningly gorgeous and such a generous soul.

Very lovely tribute, WDW. Beautiful pictures...thank you.

Anonymous said...

And I have to say how wonderful the Jake/Paul connection is. From their personal relationship to their similarities as actors. Very special indeed.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Good morning everyone :) Another thick foggy start to the day - can barely see to the end of your nose.

Hi there Anon :) Thank you for that. I'm remembering Cat on a Hot Tin Roof with Elizabeth Taylor - magnificent.

Thanks Get Real :) A real movie star - I like the connection with Jake too and I'm sure Jake's proud of it.

Have a lovely Sunday everyone :D

*good girl* said...

Thank you WDW for this tribute post to this amazing actor: I've just heard the sad news on tv, and my mum said: "that's so sad, such a great actor and wonderful man", he's definitely been one of her fav actors ever :)
It's always sad when they go, but we're lucky to have had artists like him, who leave an amazing legacy. And I'm sure that great actors like Jake will keep walking his path :) He's already shown it in so many ways, as an artist and as a man.

Have a good day every one :-*

Anonymous said...

I know how hard this must be for Jake to lose both Heath and now Paul Newman.

it's amazing the stories that get passed around. That Paul taught him to drive. But it must have been nice to hang around with a legend like Paul and get to drive around the track with him. And get his license handed to him by Paul.

At least this didn't come out of the blue, like Heath's passing.

And Paul lived such an interesting and long life. He will be missed.

Trekfan

paulh said...

There has been speculation that the "Newman's Own" brand of products will be discontinued after Paul newman's death. I've enjoyed some of those products, and have been very happy to know that the prpfits all went to charity. I would like to see a "Jake's Own" (or similarly-named line) line of products from Jake. If jake can be rumored to be opening a restaurant, this would make sense. I can think of other celebrity chefs (Paul Prudhomme, EWmil Lagasse, etc.) who have marketed their products nationwide,
so why not jake. I want to see frozen dinners with Jake's roast beef with bechamel sauce, or jars of Jake's Bolognese spaghetti sauce. I ain't kiddin! ;-) (Well, mostly not....)

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi there everyone! (If anyone asks, I'm actually washing my car right now and not posting a comment...)

Hi Good Girl :) My mum was upset too - but you're right that with well loved actors we do have the films.

Hey there Trekfan :D That is so true, a long and very interesting life (as we would all have wished for Heath). I bet Jake has some great memories of Paul - he must have been quite an influence for the young Jake.

Hi paul! I do hope they don't discontinue the products that would be a shame (speaking as a devoted consumer of Linda McCartney's veggie products). The profits go to charity and it would be a shame if all that stopped. I can definitely imagine a future line of products with Jake's name (and face?!) on them. We could fill our kitchens...

Hope everyone's having a good Sunday. Right where's my bucket and sponge?