Tuesday 2 September 2008

Jake Gyllenhaal showing his feathers - Moonlight Mile and the Graduate

Following yesterday's post which took a look at Jake Gyllenhaal side by side with a range of fellow actors in photographs taken at the kind of events to which moviestars get an invite, I thought today I'd take a look at Jakes relationship with one particular actor who has had an influence on Jake's career - Dustin Hoffman. This is also prompted by the happy fact that I saw Moonlight Mile again at the weekend after far too long a time.


My personal feeling about this relationship is that it was both productive and prickly - and maybe a litle awkward - coloured by parallels with The Graduate and by Dustin's sense of paternalism for a young and gifted character actor. But also, Jake Gyllenhaal was promoted as the film's leading name while Dustin Hoffman and Susan Sarandon were 'the support'.



While Jake and Susan appeared to have a deliciously flirtatious working relationship, Jake's with Dustin seemed much more that of deliberate mentor and polite student. Jake got round the potential awkwardness of being the leading name with charm: 'I think thank God that I'm not supporting him because I wouldn't be able to hold him up. Thank God that he's supporting me because he can most definitely hold me up.'


Jake's working relationship with Susan Sarandon was very different: 'I think that everyone kind of feels like they have to tiptoe around icons like that. And with the younger actors, I think that he does like to do a little trip, a little intimidation game. I would, you know, show my feathers and he would rip them out... Yeah. I think the dynamic kind of showed itself in the film a little bit too. Working with Susan though was a much more relaxed experience. Maybe it's because it's male-female versus a male-male dynamic, but with Susan, we just really became friends. We talked and we hung out... And they have two totally different styles of work. I mean, Susan does two takes. Dustin works forever and has little pieces of brilliance. Susan has no notes on her script and Dustin has eight thousand notes all over his script and they both get to the same end. As a young actor, it's a little confusing because you're wishing for a key!'



'Before the film, Gyllenhaal said, he was confident that he was a "pretty damn good" actor. But watching Hoffman and Sarandon made him realize "I didn't know what the hell I was doing." Gyllenhaal said Hoffman taught him the importance of "preparation being a real discipline," and that acting "should be just as hard as anybody else's work." "That's something a lot of young actors take for granted. They rely on spontaneity to be their muse. But preparation is a muse, too, and it can lead you to real spontaneity," Gyllenhaal said.'


As for how Susan got along with Dustin: 'Sarandon said her and Hoffman's real personalities are "close to the dynamic" of the characters they play: "Me saying 'Shut up, Dustin' and him talking and talking. But in a loving way."
"He's a happy family guy, and my family is very important to me, and that was a bond for us," she said of Hoffman. "He was completely open and unguarded and not the least bit competitive. It's not uncommon to come up against an (actor) who, in the alpha male tradition, sprays his territory. But (Hoffman) was very gentle, completely cooperative, exploring, curious and not in the least cynical."'


Comparisons between Jake and the young Dustin were common at the time, especially with reference to The Graduate. Jake said: 'Hoffman started out wanting to change things and he did: he made some great stories, like The Graduate, that are still in our consciousness now. I feel like it's really important to do something new and be like those people I respect.' And here, at a press junket: '"Oh, you're going the 'Graduate' route," Gyllenhaal said with a sigh, after being asked about the similarities. He reports, with some alarm, that an early review of "Moonlight" called his performance "a Benjamin imitation."'


'"That's so interesting because I had no knowledge I was doing that, but now it's being classified as that," he said. While he acknowledges the echoes, he says, "People are only drawing these comparisons because Dustin's in the film." Hoffman's also in the room, being interviewed at another table. Gyllenhaal, who beams in Hoffman's presence, shouts across the room to his co-star: "She says I remind her of you!" "You're taller, you're better-looking, and when I played your character, I was 10 years older," Hoffman shoots back, without missing a beat.' Dustin made comparisons himself between Jake's Joe and his Benjamin: 'Joe is like Benjamin in that he is in a place where he does not know what to do next. I didn't feel different playing a different character in the same scenario.'


Dustin also recalled that Jake reminded him of his own son, another Jake, with whom our Jake was friends: 'Jake is friends with my 21-year-old son. In fact I think they might be blood brothers as they've shared some of the same girls - but not at the same time!' (South Wales Echo).


Jake has commented that, even when Dustin was not officially working, he would still stand behind the camera advising Jake. '"He talked a lot about how making movies is a team effort," Gyllenhaal said. "He would be on the set when he wasn't working. There's a lot of [closeups of] me just listening, and he would be there, standing behind the camera, to talk to me."' (Star Tribune.) And according to one report, that encouragement could bruise: '[Dustin] encourages Gyllenhaal between takes, critiquing him in ways that seem gently, genuinely helpful. At the moment, though, Hoffman is more concerned about the beating he's laying on his costar. The scene they're shooting winds down with Hoffman giving Gyllenhaal an enthusiastic slap on the knee and springing up from the bench where they've been talking. But Hoffman has been dishing out that same slap for hours now. "Jake's going to take his pants off and he's going to have a black- and-blue mark," Hoffman chuckles.' (Boston Globe.)


Most famously, Dustin was a big influence beind Jake's decision to take to the stage for his award-winning perfomance in This Is Our Youth and Dustin was there to watch in the theatre. But Jake did resist Dustin's advice that he should not take the role in The Day After Tomorrow and instead wait and see what came along - Jake opted to have some fun seeing the other side of movie making. 'I said, 'Dustin, I really want to make this movie.' And I think he's been through movies that haven't been his cup-of-tea – he'd rather be the storm in the movie than the storm itself! And I totally respect that. But I grew up with those movies. I go every summer to all of them. I'd be lying if I said I didn't want to do it. It's a lie to say it's a career-movie, or it's a lie to say the character is amazing – I just wanted to be in a movie like that' (IndieLondon).


But Dustin's role in Moonlight Mile was word perfect. I loved this account by Dustin of the scene in which he kissed Jake's Joe goodbye: '"I remember that moment exactly," Hoffman answered, leaning across the table. "I'll tell you the story. I like to block out all the business I'm going to do in a scene first: 'Okay, I'm packing up my office, I see a photograph of my daughter, I cross to show it to Jake, I say goodbye.' I walked through it a few times, then Brad [Silberling] said, 'Let's try one for the camera.' So I go through the scene, I'm not expecting anything, I stand in front of Jake, and suddenly I'm completely overwhelmed, out of nowhere I'm weeping, weeping, I can't stop, and I have to turn away."'


'As he's saying this, Hoffman's voice breaks, and I look up from my notebook to see that recounting the moment is making him cry all over again. Tears are plopping from his eyes and his voice is getting thinner, but he keeps talking: "Brad is saying, 'Where are you going?' and I'm saying" -- here Hoffman hides his face behind one raised arm and slashes the air with the other, as if to signal Stop -- " 'It's over Brad, the scene is over, I can't do it again, I don't even want to look at him any more.' And that's the take we used."... He was crying freely then, his cheeks glistening.'


Three other interesting tidbits sprng to mind - Moonlight Mile was supposed to have been called Baby's in Black but the Beatles' song was too expensive to purchase, Brad Silberling initially considered Keanu Reeves for the part of Joe Nast, and Jake said: 'I've had the most horrible haircuts in every movie I've been in... I've actually had people ask me, `Do you wear wigs in your movies?'' Not much changed there then...


And if you want to see a cartwheeling Jake, then look no further than this Making of Moonlight Mile video.



Includes pictures from IHJ.

20 comments:

sheba said...

Absolutely delicious, it gives me a warm feeling all over. Thanks WDW, this is another must-see film to revisit. It's the favorite next to BBM. Love the pictures of Jake and Dustin especially the playful ones ... my favourite is the 'Bad Actor' pic :D

Dustin must be a national treasure to the USA. He comes across as being smart, funny, irrascible, honest and childish all at the same time. A real dichotomy - I guess that's what he saw in Jake, some of himself ;D

I'll say it again, I love the commentary on MM - I love all of their voices. Oh my Lord, I can't wait for the end of September for the DC of Zodiac - I long to hear Jake's voice saying something new again.

I can imagine Jake showing Dustin his feathers (like a peacock would I guess) and Dustin yanking them out. And... if he survived Dustin, he could survive anyone.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hey Sheba, Good to see you - hope you had a good break :DI love Moonlight Mile and I enjoyed every minute of watching it again. Som very emotional bits to it. But one of my favourite moments from all of Jake's films is the dancing slowly to Moonlight Mile scene. Love it. And the whole soundtrack fits so perfectly.

I've enjoyed finding out a little about Dustin doing this post - he really is a bit of everything, as you say, and very unusual. And Jake is too.

I love the commentary too! Oh, you're in for a treat with the Zodiac commentary. Jake is his giggly self in it. Jake does great commentaries - we need more of them - directors, take note.

I hope you're having a good evening :D

Anonymous said...

Nice post WDW, and a lovely film. I've a soft spot for Keanu but very glad he wasn't in it :)

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Nouskie :D I like Keanu too but this is very definitely Jake's film and I love it. Very pleased to see you *)

paulh said...

It's a real testimony to Jake's acting skill that he never let himself cross the line into mawkishness or sentimentality in "Moonlight Mile." The whole chaos of conflicting feelings can be seen just below the surface, but he holds it in until the courtroom scene when everything just comes spilling out.

Jake's character teeters on the divide between childhood and adulthood. Some of the time he shows childlike passivity, and other times he musters some adult bravado.

Sara Andrea Vera said...

Thanks a lot for this wonderful post WDW!!!!
I'm in a really bad mood right now so I will try to post something tomorrow. But thank you again for the post. Your blog is one of the best parts of my day :O)
See you!

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Paul - thanks so much for a very interesting comment. I'd not thought about that before but it's true. Joe is treated as the child in the child's bedroom, sitting eating dinner with the adults etc and being the surrogate, and yet he's having to deal with adult trauma. Jake does keep it in check and he does manage to convey the conflict of trying to be everything for everyone while preserving something for himself. The courtroom scene is amazing - when he's allowed to let himself go and tell the truth. I think it's one of the finest moments of Jake's career to date - and another is the 'I lost my friend' moment. Such a good performance.

Thanks Sara :D I hope you feel better later and I'm really pleased you like the post :)

Anonymous said...

Oh I love this film; I think it's probably my favorite after BBM too; that is, until I watch any of Jake's film, then I love that one. My favorite scene is when Joe comes to Bertie's house, and the scene with the moonlight. He's so passionate when he tells her he needs to see her. *sigh* Also the scene where they are dancing to Moonlight Mile on the jukebox. The courtroom scene is wonderful, and felt for Joe, trying to please everyone in this most terrible of events. I thought it was cute when he would disappear into a closet when he got stressed, and I think Bertie did too. I loved Bertie's tough girl on the outside, vulnerable on the inside. I love when Joe asks her if she's married, and she holds up her left hand and says "See any hardware?" :) There's so much to love about MM.

Jake and Dustin seem like the get along very well together, as well as Susan. I like that Jake learns from and works with some of the best in the biz. I haven't seen the commentary yet because I don't own MM yet, but I hope to change that soon. :)

Anonymous said...

Love the posts with PoP pictures! I'm even getting more excited:D Wow, how elaborate it will be!

Thanks so much for the pics, WDW, of all of the actors who would be proud to be in the arms of our Jake:DD Glad to see Heath and Jake in the same gathering together and having a good time:) There is so very few of them together besides BBM promo's:(

Last week I was in the mood for some comedy, so I watched Bubble Boy, and my fav scene was (like some others here) was the stealing of a beer in a small mart!! *giggles* my neighbors must think i'm not of sound mind:DDD

Also, I watched Casanova with Heath in it!! I honestly can say that I love his and the fellow actors and their wit. He and the others were so funny and delightful:)) This is truely my fav comedy with Heath. His expressions along with all others, makes a fun film. My personal fav is the fiance under the table scene with all of the facial expressions on Heath;))) and I loved seeing Heath looking so alive and vibrant, and in a powdered wig!!!:DD He did most of his stunts, in this film. I still feel so sad at times:( But so happy to still have him in films that we can watch over and over again.:))

Oh, I was having a 'Heath moment', sorry everyone.

But, at a happier note, we have Jake to continue on...PoP!! and, of course, Brothers,...will be an emotional journey for me I think.

I must sign off,,,,bedtime...good night everyone:)

viv

sheba said...

Thanks WDW, I did but it went all too quickly. Ugh... going back to work fully is a real shock to the system.... roll on Christmas! Yes, I said it - don't shoot :DD

There are a few similarities in the graduate - but I didn't realise Jake admitted his unconscious performance. I don't think it was deliberate because the situation lent itself to the character having uncertaincy, awkwardness of position, vulnerability etc. Naturally, they would draw analygies of the performance because both actors were in the same movie, but its a little unfair because I stops people from appreciating the stillness of Jake's performance.

I too loved the dancing scene where he's surprised by her spontaneous reaching out to him and he responds by drawing her close... ahhhh, I wish I were Bertie.

You know, I don't remember seeing not even one moonlight scene - I must watch it again this weekend. Truly, MM is about hope after tragedy... I love it so much - it really helped me.

I agree, Brothers, in so many ways will be a real emotional journey I'll look forward to travelling on.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Good morning everyone :D Schools are back today so feels like Autumn...

Hey BK - I know how much you love MM :D I noted that when I saw it this time how Joe and Bertie both keep taking refuge in cupboards. I suppose it's one way to meet! I like how Jake has worked (and will work) with some of the best in the biz too. I hope you get hold of the DVD, the commentary is fabulous.

Hi Viv - so glad you enjoyed the posts and pics :D I absolutely love Bubble Boy, it's a great tonic. The beer scene is my favourite scene in it too. I recently bought Casanova but I've yet to see it, I must watch it, especially as it was filmed straight after BBM. Yep, it is an emotional journey, without doubt. Good to see you :D

Hey Sheba! I was quite intrigued by how Jake appears to have been continually reminded of the Graduate (makes me think of Jennifer Aniston's line again that she was his Mrs Robinson...). Must have become irritating. I'm allr eady for the journey too :D

Have a good day everyone :D

Anonymous said...

Truly, MM is about hope after tragedy... I love it so much - it really helped me.

You are so right, Sheba. Not only for Joe and the Floss family, but I just ached for Bertie - it's even worse not knowing where your loved one is, or what's happened to him. So much so that time completely stopped for her from the time she last heard from Cal, and she had a shrine to him. There's no closure, and you think there is a chance he'll come back, however small, and you don't want to be disloyal, especially if they've been in a war. She might never have felt ready to accept and move forward. So, Bertie and Joe were there to help each other through a rough time, and it became more. Yes, I expect Brothers will be very emotional too.

I loved The Graduate as well, and I didn't see any similarity to Jake's performance in MM. Maybe I need to watch it again, because it's been a long time. I wonder too if it is a natural reaction of critics to compare one of Dustin's first youthful and most memorable performances (for me, Midnight Cowboy is deeply affecting too, not in small part due to the soundtrack), to a youthful Jake, since they acted together in a film. Maybe a slight similarity of young men not sure where they are yet in life, and where they are going, as Dustin alluded to - but the performances are so different, imo. :)

sheba said...

Thanks Bertie. Gosh, I really want to watch it now, maybe tonight instead of the weekend. I do like to watch and re-watch movies and get a different perspective from different character's points of view. I guess it's similar in a sense to BBM where there is so much hurt and not many solutions.

I loved the 75 letters he sent and distributed them all over town. Can you imagine getting 75 different love letters all on the same day?!!

I love everything about it, the music, the characters, the scenery (oh, except the clothes - however, Jake in that tight brown top is a sight to behold).

Dustin's choices as a young man have also been very interesting. He's unusual as he doesn't look the leading man material part yet he does pull it off so well. I love Jake's comment on him being the lead and not the support (and them holding him up) because if he had to support Susan and Dustin, they'd all fall down.

"There's no closure, and you think there is a chance he'll come back, however small, and you don't want to be disloyal, especially if they've been in a war. She might never have felt ready to accept and move forward."

Absolutely, when you're deep inside your protective bubble it's hard for someone to break through and get you back to the real world. They both did that for each other unknowingly.

MM - very real and very relevant today - it stands the test of time.

Anonymous said...

Yes, tremendous conflict for Bertie, especially when she starts to feel close to someone like Joe. No wonder she would run away in a panic! It was cute, but also painful. I can only imagine what it will be like for Natalie's character Grace in Brothers. I hope we hear soon! :) I'm going to have to add MM to my movie collection very soon.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi BK and Sheba - I have enjoyed reading your comments. And thanks for the reminder about the scene with the 75 love letters - I remember that Jake had to address each one himself.

I feel desperate to hear news of Brothers... But shouldn't be long now.

I've just had one of those haircuts where you come out and it looks exactly the same as when you went in. Oh, Jake's hair in MM...

Anonymous said...

g'day y'all - SO weathered-out from horrible repub "convention", unbelievable, embarrassing, insulting oh well - it will be over soon!

love seeing Dustin and Susan dancing together - both had nice chemistry with young Jake -

hey Sheba yeah Dustin is "family" -

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Morning Pia :D Fortunately the time gap means we've been spared this convention...

I want to watch the film again but with the commentary now, to get more Dustin and Jake together :)

sheba said...

"hey Sheba yeah Dustin is "family"

Hi Pia, he is isn't he ;D I remember seeing him in Kramer V Kramer as a young girl and I remembered how moved I was by it - then when I saw him in Tootsie - I knew he was a little kooky. He's wonderful.

I like to see the embarrasing, cringeworthy speeches so will be watching Cspan or BBC Parliament tonight. Such a bruhaha at the moment, it's like watching a train-wreck. Much better than reality TV.

"I've just had one of those haircuts where you come out and it looks exactly the same as when you went in. "

Hey WDW, LOL at the haircut - bet you though you could have done it yourself for a fraction of the cost :DD

"Oh, Jake's hair in MM..."

whaddaya trying to say?.....I loved it and it suited him.

One of my friends came over today as I'd got the day off. I made her look at the latest Jake pictures of PoP and her eyes went POP! "is that him now??" was the draw dropping comment followed by lots of yes's. I love it when that happens.

MM is also about finding your home. When Joe says.. "I found home Bertie, I found you, so you find yours and write me when you do... I figure I got 75 chances" I just melt. Well, guess I've found my 'home' here too - hope you don't mind sharing ;D

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Sheba, thanks so much for that! What a lovely thing to say *)

Oh blimey, this haircut's costing me a fortune as I need another one now. I'd have been better off getting Mr WDW to do it - well, almost... I really, really don't like Jake's hair in MM, or his clothes, but his eyes and smile are just breathtaking.

I've experienced wathing that POP moment in others too! It's come as quite a shock to the uninitiated :D

I've had a grumpy day today so thanks for cheering me up xx

Anonymous said...

It's bittersweet to revisit their quotes, now that both Anne Bancroft has passed. And Mike Nichols too, in the same year Dustin is still with us while Jake's praised to have turned in a performance to rebut the "Bad Actor" jabs, and even reminds some of Razzo in Midnight Cowboy.