Wednesday 3 September 2008

Time travel with Jake Gyllenhaal

Few people get to time travel these days like an actor does - they sign on for a project and before they can say 'there's a hole in the space time continuum', they could find themselves spending five months in leather boots, neck ruffs and a codpiece. Jake Gyllenhaal has time-travelled more than most through his relatively short career, having recreated in often painstaking detail the 50s right through to the present day, and now he's taken an even deeper plunge into world history and is leaving his mark on early medieval Persia (fortunately they speak English so Jake should be ok).


In this post, I will be following Jake through the time portal to show that, even though he's a young thing - a mere 27 years old - he has experienced everything from Sputniks, flares and slinkies to smurfs, illuminescent volkswagons and the moustache.


The 1950s

Jake began his adult acting career thirty years before he was born, a time in which he was inspired by the first venture into space, Sputnik, a world away from the coal mines of West Virginia.


The 1960s

Jake's roles have taken him to the extremes of the 1960s - on the one hand there is Wyoming of 1963, where the only place that two young sheepherders feel able (not free) to discover their feelings for each other is away from society and in the remoteness of the mountains.


Zodiac begins in the 1960s of San Francisco, where lovers freely meet but there are different dangers.


The 1970s

Jake was lucky in the Zodiac - his character was relatively timeless, although Jake described how much he hated having to put on the shirts (reminiscent of the Brokeback shirts). Mark Ruffalo's character fared less well, despite David Fincher's claim that 'I didn't want to make a movie about sideburns. I didn't want to make a movie about plaid and flared pants, bell bottoms, and platform shoes. I didn't want it to be kitsch.'


In this video, at the NYC premiere of Zodiac, Jake said that it was Mark who had to endure the 'chafing plaid pants.' Jake also mentions that he didn't ask his parents for background on the 70s: 'If you remember it, you didn't live it... I guess maybe they lived it.'


In 1970s' Texas, Jake had a lot more to contend with than hunting down serial killers while driving a bright orange car - the 'tache. Jake famously said: 'I spent the entire second half of the movie trying to pull off that mustache, literally and figuratively.'


In Moonlight Mile, Jake wore ill-fitting shoes and a lot of brown.


The 1980s

This is the decade in which Jake took on time travel itself. It is also the decade that sent Jake to the library: 'In terms of style and all that, I went down to the library and looked at all these magazines and read articles about the time. There's not that much you can do with something that is so near. There are words that were different, like people used to use "rad" a lot more!' I regret now that, during the 80s, I never once said 'rad' - but I did go and see Duran Duran in concert and I did have a drink with Echo and the Bunnymen.


The 1990s

Jake was fighting the battles of the 1990s in the deserts of Kuwait, but Jake told Vogue that this decade - Jake's own teenage decade - was all about: 'People who were moved when Kurt Cobain died, slap bracelets, Jenga, CHiPs in syndication.' The films to watch were The Matrix, Being John Malkovich, Memento and Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind 'which is about being able to love and how actually hard it is to really do that. It may be easy for other people, but it's hard for me; I cried like a fucking baby.'


Kurt Cobain's death was also the excuse for a roadtrip.


Past, Present, Future and Beyond

As for the present and the future and the past.... the Noughts are a work in progress, taking Jake to North Africa, through prison and release, and into the US congress. The future may take Jake into space and to the moon, but then into the past and onto the football fields of the 1960s and 70s. And best not to forget the minarets, domes and palms of that medieval realm of peril, romance and magic which awaits.


Includes pictures from IHJ and Just Jared.

18 comments:

Ruby said...

squeeeee....Pilot!! :D

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hey Rubes! Consider him a gift (Don't wear him out...)

I'm watching Jake's princess Gemma on TV in Lost in Austen - she looks feisty :D

Ruby said...

Thanks for the pressie.
btw, I liked the rest of your post too, it's just that Pilot is a rare treat. :D (and I do love 'im)

Ooh, I like feisty. Feisty is good. I'd forgotten that was on, I'll have to watch it another day.

Zodiac said...

Wonderful post, WDW. I wonder how Jake remembers the years of his childhood and adolesence- the 80's and the 90's.

I remember the summer of 1985- I was 4,5 years old and it was the first time I saw the sea. The most vivid memory of my early childhood:)

I remember 1990 and begging my mum to buy me leggings with some sparkly thingy on them. I was very surprised when leggings came back again some time ago.

I remember 1998- my 18th birthday and I ate so much cake I actually felt sick afterwards.

2000s came and almost have passed in a blur. I'm telling you WDW, being 27 doesn't feel like being a young thing anymore;)

I remeber he has said something about not eating Play-Doh anymore. Jacob, you used to eat the wrong stuff. I wish we had gone to the same kindergarten. I would have shown you that the right thing to eat when you're five is the strawberry toothpaste.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

I love how you love Pilot, Ruby :D I'm still trying to do that Highway post. And after all this time I now have ideas for a couple :D

Hey Zodiac - lovely comment, thank you! I remember seeing the sea when I was about 4 or 5 too. i remember learning to swim in it and finding I was much better at sinking. I must admit to liking that Jake is growing older :)

Wouldn't it be great to know what some of Jake's memories are? I reckon that some of them would feature the sea too.

Strawberry toothpaste?? There is such a thing?? I am ashamed to say that I too have experience of eating play-doh... I can still remember how it tasted :D

Sara Andrea Vera said...

Thanks you absolutely very hugely much for posting my very favorite BBM picture!! (well, now maybe 2nd my favorite after learning the story behind the "homoerotic meat eating" pic) :O)

Some people is going to hate me but... hasn't Jake got the dorkiest haircuts and looks in recent film history? :O) LOL (O:

Great post by the way! I can't wait to see princely Jake!!!
Yummy!!!!

Hugs,

Sara Andrea Vera said...

Strawberry toothpaste?? There is such a thing??

Yes, there is! Or at least there was. I remember liking to eat it when I was 4 or 5. :O)

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Sara :D Glad to hear I picked a fave pic. I think Jake might agree with you about the hairstyles in his movies, but it just doesn't seem to matter how they dress him, he just shines through. Can't wait for medieval Jake!

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Good morning everyone :D Someone left a tap on, it's chucking it down out there... Have a good day :)

paulh said...

Let's not leave out the early 1970s, when the man walked across a tightrope that was strung between the the two towers of the World Trade Center.

Or the early 1990s, when wee Jake's character had to stay behind while his screen father went out West to do a cattle drive.

In the early years of the 21st century, there was mathematician Jake in Chicago, and Catcher-in-the-Rye Jake working a cash register in some horrid Walmart clone in Texas.

Or the Manhattan of 2004, which was soon to be a giant glacier, complete with wolf-infested Russian ships parked in front of the New York Public Library.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi there Paul! I am definitely ready to see Future Jake in UMP :D

Hope everyone's having a good day - chilly and wet here... Oh to be under Morocco skies :)

Anonymous said...

Great time-travelling post, WDW!
Glad to read your insightful posts more regularly now that I'm back in England, less glad to suffer from this "summer" weather (not!) after basking in the Med sun every day!
Hope you're doing well...
Take care,
Paola

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Good to see you, Paola! And sorry about the British weather welcome home... I'm glad you've had the sun on you over the summer - hope to see you in the Smoke soon :D

paulh said...

I would gladly take British weather if it meant not having to worry about a long string of hurricanes forming, some of which could be coming my way. :-(

In Hartford, Hereford, and Hampshire,
Hurricanes hardly happen.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Paul - good luck in the storms :) (Love the rhyme by the way :D) - here, in the Autumn we can get battered by storms but it's the flooding that's bad - my village has flooded almost every year recently. There's nothing for it, we have to move to Morocco! Jake can do the cooking...

Anonymous said...

Oh thanks again for another great post, WDW, you are our Jaking woman!!:D And we love you for it:)

I, too Sara, LOVE the BBM photo along with the "meat eating" photo:D:D (makes me happy to remember)

And, yes feisty, really like that! Did someone say feisty?!?!
Yes I love that word!!;)

Rum is calling my name....viv...viv...

night everyone:)

PoP, PoP, already dreaming.;)

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Morning Viv! Thanks so much for that - love being your Jaking Woman :D I love the word 'feisty' too, it's definitely a big compliment. Hope you had a good night!

paulh said...

The way rap and hiphop artists choose their names, I fully expect one to call himself Mo' Rocco some day. :-)