Friday 14 November 2008

The Day After Yesterday - Prince of Persia 'This sucker is a monster'

It's The Day After Yesterday and that can mean only one thing - a look back at the glorious gifts ET gave us in the shape of a running, walking, talking, flirting, joking, riding, fighting, giggling Jake Gyllenhaal, aka God's Gift the Prince of Persia. Here's a refresher.



We were given The Tongue - understated and blatant.



We got hair - real, glued, extended, wigged?


We got a glimpse of rather fetchingly designed attire, well-fitted in some places and more billowing in others - plus bum. Obviously, I skimmed over this section of the feature and didn't pause it at all.


Armour. I like the armour. And the arm straps.


A ring set off Jake's delicate and long fingers perfectly and he used it eloquently to reinforce his comments.


We saw the Prince interacting (ie fending off with swords and daggers, or abducting/rescuing on horseback) with Feisty Gemma.


Jake knows well how we appreciate how he has made scarf wearing an artform. The Prince proves the point by wearing a whole shop's worth. You can never go wrong with layers. And there was enough to lend one to Gemma.


A Jake interview is not a Jake interview without giggling and flirtation.


Chest.


A couple of the movie websites that were invited to the Prince of Persia set the other week, and are still sworn to silence on the experience, have been interested like us in the ET feature and their reactions are extremely encouraging. Cinematical had this to say: 'Cinematical was lucky enough to visit the set of Prince of Persia earlier this month, and while we can't really go into details, we have no problem placing a bet now that Persia will go down as the most successful (in terms of quality and box office numbers) video game adaptation of all time. This sucker is a monster, and you have my word that it looks damn good. Much more coming soon..'


They also say 'But don't let Jake's regular old American accent fool you -- the dude has taken on a whole new accent for Persia, but you'll have to wait a little while longer before we're allowed to share the type of accent it is.' Interestingly, Cinematical suggest that filming will be completed at Pinewood in a couple of weeks.


SlashFilm said: 'it looks like ET was on set for a night scene where Gemma Arterton’s character Princess Tamina is trying to stab Prince Dastan, played by Jake Gyllenhaal. I had the fortunate opportunity to visit the set a couple days before ET (from the looks of it), and while I’m not allowed to talk about anything I saw (just yet), I will say this — the film has the potential to do for video games what Jerry Bruckheimer did for that little theme park ride turned film — Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl.'


Gemma has also been speaking a little more about Prince of Persia while publicising Quantum of Solace. Gemma spoke of the 20-week shoot to M16 Declassified: 'I can’t believe all of this is happening – it’s mad stuff! (laughs). I’ve been in Madrid learning to horse ride for the last few weeks and then back in London for some training. It’s an action romance – a bit like Indiana Jones meets Gladiator! It’s set in the 6th century so there are lots of Sinbad style costumes, which I love. And it has a great cast, with Jake and Ben Kingsley and Alfred Molina and a fantastic director, Mike Newell, so I think it’s going to be great. I’m very excited. I’m the only girl in the whole thing. I’m the hot totty in it – which freaks me out! (laughs) I can’t believe I’m going to be the girl who has to get the bums on seats. But since Bond it’s been crazy.'

I must say that I don't think Gemma is the only hot totty in the Prince of Persia...


Gemma also spoke to tribute.ca: 'It is a huge, massive movie, which is exciting and scary at the same time. We are shooting half of it in Morocco and half of it at Pinewood Studios in London. Jake Gyllenhaal and I are the leads, and Sir Ben Kingsley and Alfred Molina. It is just amazing cast and a brilliant directors and actors and script. I think it is really going to be special.'


Scorpion Update

With all the excitement generated by the ET feature on Prince of Persia, one would be forgiven for forgetting the peril that has faced the cast in recent days due to an outbreak of multi-legged stinging scorpions, which we talked about here on Wednesday. We have had more details. According to the Daily Mail: a 'scorpion was seen walking down a corridor at the studio.' As a result, 'Studio staff are now taking 'standard operating procedures for tropical locations', a Pinewood spokesman said. A studio insider speaking to the Daily Mail said yesterday filming was stopped after the scorpion was discovered - and there were fears more may have bred in the Buckinghamshire studio. 'It's a bit of a worry as the trucks came back from Morocco three weeks ago, so the worst case scenario is that it hatched here,' an insider said.'


Although one theory is that the scorpions hitched a lift on the lorries carrying the props back from Morocco, could this be a case of dastardly sabotage? 'A spokesman for Prince of Persia, Michael Singer said that the scorpion may have come from another production which he declined to name. 'The creature was found in a common area of the studio, not on our set or in any of our store rooms. 'There is another film based here which also shot in Morocco. The scorpion's origin is beyond my knowledge. It's had absolutely no effect on filming.'

This article also encourages me to avoid the Isle of Sheppey at all costs...


Monsters and Critics inform us that 'Signs have been posted around the studio.. warning workers to beware of the poisonous arachnids. The signs warn: "At least two scorpions have been spotted in recent days. If you see one do not try your own pest control but inform security." The captured creatures are now being held in quarantine at Heathrow airport's Animal Reception Centre.' We are assured they will be repatriated (or dropped out of a window as a plane flies over North Africa).


While some reports have proclaimed Pinewood is suffering a plague of scorpions, the sensible Guardian has reported 'Two have been found - one live, one dead - and pest controllers have done their thing, but staff are wary. The emperor scorpion, the prime suspect and one of the largest such creatures in the world, has a pinch sufficient to snap a pencil and a sting capable of inflicting severe pain. Managers called for vigilance.'

The Prince could have a fight on his hands... or ankles.


Pictures from IHJ.

40 comments:

Anonymous said...

A movie spy from Gyllenbabble
suggested POP would be done around Dec 3 2008

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Hello :) It's good to have a published source.

Hope everyone's having a good evening!

Anonymous said...

from Brothers spy @ http://gyllenbabble.blogspot.com/
There is a poster that has insider information, and has been very on target about Jakes filming dates

Anonymous said...

here is in the info from gyllenbabble.blogspot.com

think the time off will correspond with the release of "Quantum of Solace." I think that was the rationale for the break. Remember that "Prince of Persia" is a British production. James Bond is HUGE in Britain and they wouldn't do anything to hurt a James Bond film.

As I said, I think they devised the schedule before they learned that they were pushing back "Brothers" and "Quantum of Solace" was supposed to initially be released on Thanksgiving (thus pushed forward). So they created a two-week break for their stars accordingly.
So I think Jake just lucks out with one or two weeks off.
I hope my source gets back to me with the schedule. That would answer any final questions we may have about everything.
Anyway, the reason for my post is because I just learned that "Quantum of Solace" will have its British premiere (along with France and a couple of other countries) on October 31.
The film will then open wide (America, rest of Europe, Austrailia, Japan, etc.) on November 6th. Meaning that Gemma will probably be doing press for the film between October 27th and November 8th or so.

Also, remember that my source told me that they were dedicating the last three weeks or so to the green screen stuff. That would date that filming at November 13th (or so) to December 3rd.

So we know they need to get the Icelander playing Garsiv out of there (and complete his parts) by mid November as per his interview before production started (I also recall his saying that they were filming until early December --- and he was finished in November --- which corresponds with my source saying that shooting will wrap on December 3rd).

Also the timing corresponds with what my source told me in early September about techicians working on some of the CGI stuff in England through September until "the first week of October."

This reminds me of something else I thought about last night and didn't share yesterday...

Remember when those CGI guys, in that interview, said that they had recently completed their work on "Prince of Persia?" I asked my source about that and he then told me that they had completed their work on August 28th or 29th, whatever it was. (I don't know the first thing about CGI stuff. I don't know any terms, much less the science of it).

Well, apparently, another group took over from there, at Pinewood, and began preparation for some important scene from early September until "the first week of October." They were suppose to film the actual scene/sequence thereafter.* This was suppose to take two-weeks to shoot.

* I assume the scene they were working on is the final sequence of the film where Dastan discovers the gateway to the secret room, and confronts Ben Kingsley's character, etc. I won't give it away. It's the final sequence of the script between Ben Kingsley and Jake. If you read the scene you will notice that there are a lot of descriptions that will almost certainly require CGI (a cascading waterfall, etc.)

Well I remembered that my source had told me very specifically that they were filming the scene at the Palace of NASAF (the banquet scene where something happens to Dastan's father and he's forced on the run, thus setting in motion the events of his journey back to ALAMUT) from October 1 to 8.

My source also told me specifically that they filmed scene 109 on September 25th & 26th; scenes 56 and 57 on September 29th & 30th. (I don't know what any of these scenes are, he only gave me the scene number. Since my version of the script doesn't have any numbers, and the script has been re-written since then, i'm pretty sure that I won't be able to figure out what scenes they filmed just by using those numbers).

Well, we know that they began filming in England on September 22. We also know, from an earlier conversation with my source, that they began filming Gemma's scenes in Alamut during the opening battle and another scene between Gemma and Garsiv. These scenes don't involve Jake.

Thus the schedule most likely looked something like this...

September 22-24: Gemma's scenes (Jake not involved).

September 25th-26th: Scene 109. A scene involving Jake, not sure which. Not sure who else involved.

September 29th: Scene 56 (whatever it is).

September 30th: Scene 57 (again, whatever it is).

October 1-8: The NASAF Banquet sequence.

Then they seemed to take a 4-day weekend from production, probably because they worked through the previous weekend. This was also the week that Reese visited Jake in England. That was probably why.

Then beginning on October 13th (this past Monday) until October 24th they film the last sequence between Ben Kingsley, Jake and Gemma in those crazy rooms. There were at least four: The Hourglass Chamber, The Loophole Corridor, and two others. If you read the script you'll know what i'm talking about.

Then between October 24th and November 8th, Gemma will be away doing promotion for "Quantum of Solace." It's possible that Jake won't have the entire two weeks off. After all, there is another scene i'm certain they're shooting in Britain, which doesn't involve Gemma, in the "Kings Baths" which is between Dastan and his older brother Tus. But other than that, and maybe a short scene or two, every scene Jake is in includes Gemma.

Therefore, Jake is CERTAIN to get at least one week off.

During that week, they will film the scenes between Ben Kingsley and Garsiv (as well as Dastan's brothers) at the Palace, after Dastan escapes and goes on the run. (There are several scenes).

Then beginning on November 13th (with the Icelander --- and possibly Ben Kingsley) done their parts, they will film the Green Screen stuff until December 3rd.
I think that's a pretty good estimate of what is happening in England. So if I had to venture a guess, i'd say Jake will be done on October 31st and not return until November 10th or so. But that's speculation. It fits the timeline though.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Thanks hello and anon :D I remember we were reading this when Jake was given time off for LA the other week - makes for interesting reading :)

Anonymous said...

Is it just me, or is that black trousers is awesomely tight and fitting? I can't take my eyes off those... so I didn't really catch other stuff going on in that interview... :P

It's good that it's been receiving good feedback from people who've visited the shooting site. I got a feeling that Jake is trying to play it down though - good tactics!

vintagethisretrothat said...

He seemed a little shy at first when she asked him about his body and new muscle look

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hey there Winterbird! Oh the trousers! They did catch my attention, I must admit (can't imagine why...). I've had to watch the interviews a few times i order to move my focus away from tight trousers, chest, smile and eyes... I need to see more boot shots though.

It really is good to read so much good feedback from other visitors to the site - and great knowing that in good time we'll hear about their visits as well :D Good to see you!

Welcome Vintage :D Jake gets that look where he goes all shy but I think he likes to be asked it and he seemed proud of the muscle he'd gained. Adorable, really :) Thanks for commenting!

Anonymous said...

Wow, so exciting to read reports like Cinematical et al who say how good the film looks!! :)

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Get Real! It's so great, isn't it? I hope we hear more from these sites soon. Hope you've had a good week *)

paulh said...

They seem to be wrong about the dates for "Quantum of Solace"'s opening in the U.S. It opens today, not on November 6.

Scorpions have nasty stings, but the Chinese enjoy them deep-fried.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Paul! I didn't realise Quantum wasn't out in the States yet. I hope you enjoy it. Hmmmm - scorpion and chips - I imagine the legs might get stuck in your teeth...

Anonymous said...

Poor little guy - I thought it was cute that they are going to "repatriate" him. I didn't know their pinch could snap a pencil! Poor little land lobster - but I couldn't imagine eating one. Blech! ;)

This was so fun about Pop, I'm thinking Tyrone Power too. I think it's going to be wonderful. :)

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Shy Anon :D I can't imagine eating a scorpion is that filling :/ But I hope they do find them all and send them home (rather than stick them in a Scorpion Stew).

All this has show to me more than ever that I cannot wait for May 2010!

Anonymous said...

OMG that chest, that armour, those arm straps!... *ded*

Monica said...

Good night, wet dark!

Jake is funny, sexy, hot, beautiful, great ... everything!!
I love the scenes of struggle with Gemma, their uniforms, weapons ... I'm anxious to watch the first trailer of POP.

Yes, I said I do not like this kind of movie, but then to see those pictures ... I think it's that power that Jake has on me, hahahaha

Thanks for all the links and information!:)

It has scorpions in the region where I live. Thank God they're away from me!:)

Anonymous said...

Dear WDW thank you so much for responding to my questions re 'the SD boards', and Atticus too. I do hope Ted, (or anyone!), can enlighten us. I'd so love to chat about Jake with someone. And I so enjoy reading this blog, it makes me smile after a long day at work... Wow! he is just so gorgeous. I've loved Prince of Persia every since it first came out too (the joys of having brothers to introduce you to gaming - back in the Windows 3.1 days!) and even then thought it would make a glorious film. Thank you again. Watch out for those scorpions. TD.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi TD! So good to see you again. You can always chat about Jake here - I certainly can't help myself.

You've made my day saying WDW helps you smile after a day at work - thank you so so much for that! That is my aim! And everyone here cheers me up too :D

I haven't forgotten to ask Ted and Lisa what SD means.

OMG, I remember playing PoP on a really old computer, using Dos, years ago, before I had windows (well, before my computer had windows). I was lousy at it but played it for hours.

I'm afraid to say that after digging in the desert in Israel where scorpions were flippin everywhere, I actually quite like scorpions, but the spiders... OMG the spiders... Very glad you've come back :D

Monica said...

I am afraid of snakes, spiders and scorpions!

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Monica! Me too :D I think we're very sensible...

Anonymous said...

Thank you for posting the vid and the screencaps, WDW. I think this must be the longest shoot Jake has ever had (unless TDAT took as long) But he's never worked on something this big. It will most likely be the one movie that will keep him working indefinitely (assuming that it is successful which I don't see why it wouldn't be) which means he will be doing sequels. I think it is the vehicle Jake was looking for. Like Tobey Maguire has Spiderman, Jake will have POP

also thanks to whoever posted the shooting schedule

Trekfan

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Trekfan! I think TDAT was three months, Zodiac was a bit longer. But this is something else - Jake is the main star and there is week after week of it. This really could be Jake's Spider-man or Pirates. It's such a huge thing for Jake :D I think it will be very successful.

Have a good night everyone :)

Anonymous said...

I'm happy there's another clip and ... he's beautiful,Gemma is beautiful, the leather top is beautiful and the scarves are beautiful, it's just I'm afraid they'll put him and Gemma in a Happy Meal. Yesterday I found Batman in my cereal.


They keep introducing him as Reese's boyfriend *sigh*,like he's not important on his own. Last week, an evening out,my friend mentions Jake, the other person says:"Jake who?" "Gyllenhaal". No reaction. "Brokeback Mountain?" A second of hesitation and "Wait a minute, isn't he Reese Witherspoon's boyfriend?"

I was staring into my wineglass.

Zodiac said...

I'm such a mood killer today, I'm sorry.

My previous post has nothing to do with Reese herself, I hate the way the show biz works sometimes

Anonymous said...

I know what you mean Zodiac. It's nothing against Reese, I don't like it either when Jake is not recognised for himself, for his work. It bothers me too. I'm hoping (well, I'm pretty sure) after Pop, it won't happen anymore. We just have to be patient for another 18 months. *sigh* Damn you Disney for making us wait so long! I hope at least Brothers will come out next year. At this point I would actually be happy if Nailed came out (I'm still nervous about that movie though)

Olympia

Anonymous said...

Uh, the sound on my computer doesn't work as of late, so I have to wait until everyone in my family leaves the house so I can watch Jake on the other computer!! Anyway, he looks really good lately, and I cannot wait much longer for another Jake movie!!

Anonymous said...

Just had to add - he looks absolutely incredible in that last pic, coming out from the under archway, dressed in leather with the leather strapping on his arms. Just incredible. I never did get to hear the clip of his accent, is it still around? Thanks! :)

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Good morning everyone - beautiful day out there today :) Thanks for all the comments!

Waves to Paola and Monica :D

((((Zodiac)))) I don't like that at all, Zodiac. Jake is a fine actor and man and deserves an introduction in his right and not almost used like a link.

Morning Olympia :D I do think that when Jake has a movie out the focus will get right back on him where it belongs, I hope so. The wait feels like a long time. I feel like Nailed could just turn up out of the blue :D

Welcome Bandgeek :D I do hope you've got to see it now! It's always hard waiting for Jake.. Thanks for commenting :D

Hi Anon - that clip is on the previous post - it's the video at the bottom of the post :DHave a good day everyone!

*good girl* said...

Thank you so much WDW for this post, this was really useful because due to the strong excitement of finally seeing the ET segment I had lost several details :P btw I have definitely missed the moment when he uses British accent (if there's one..) What I know for sure is that this tiny taste of this movie is making me want more and more! I was so skeptical in the beginning and now I'm craving to see it ;D

Oh Zodiac and WDW I agree with you about Jake deserving to be recognized for the great artist and man he is, and not for who he dates.. here in Italy he's not very "famous" and I'm used to say his name and see faces go: "Jake who?" Fingers crossed these 3 upcoming movies will give him the long-due deserved acknowledgement (<- sorry, not sure if this is the right word :P)

Anonymous said...

I just heard the clip of Jake with the Prince' accent. It's perfect, understated, not overdone, and give him just that right extra touch - I'm not sure how to describe it - it seems right for the time period, and royal, or something.

How did I miss this? I think I was having trouble with getting YouTube to play. Not only is Jake incredibly gorgeous in PoP, we'll have that dreamy accented voice too. :)

Anonymous said...

I'm not surprised ET introduced him like that, it is a gossip-centred programme first and foremost, they probably got told to do that. Well, hanging out with RW will make him more recognizable to common/causal movie-goers, at least he has gained something. Ha, yes. I'm pragmatic like that. Next time, any friend of mine goes "Jake who?" on me, I'm gonna say, "you will get a copy of Zodiac or brokenack mountain Dvd for your birthday!"

*good girl* said...

"Next time, any friend of mine goes "Jake who?" on me, I'm gonna say, "you will get a copy of Zodiac or brokenack mountain Dvd for your birthday!"

;D Definitely a great way to spread the Jake-love, Wintebird ;):D

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Wet Dark and Wild said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

WDW, soho? You're in NY?

Anonymous said...

I know everyone has their own opinions and we sure don't have to agree but I have a sour taste in my mouth. I know it wasn't originally posted here but the disdain for Jake is pretty obvious. :(

Wet Dark and Wild said...

After thinking about it, I've deleted the comments - they were not originally posted here and were posted here by someone claiming a name not their own. I've discussed this with Winterbird who responded and I don't think she'll mind my deleting her comment.

I do not agree at all with what was posted and it doesn't belong here. I also don't like people pinching identities :(

Hugs to Get Real and Winterbird.

From my comment earlier: 'Just got back from a wonderful day out in London! Thanks as always to Ruby and Anouska for their company and putting up with my lousy jokes...

A big hello to Good Girl. Shy Anon and Winterbird! I hope you've had a good day - sorry I missed you, I was sitting back on a warm winter's evening, outside in soho watching the world walk by :)'

Hey Vacation! No, I was in London - we have a Soho here too and it's fabulous! I'd love to see the NYC Soho sometime :)

Uli said...

LOL at "tired zodiac":
...it's just I'm afraid they'll put him and Gemma in a Happy Meal. Yesterday I found Batman in my cereal.

I understand what you are saying... I feel a little bit the same... Although I have to admit for some reason I am very fond of the tiny little Joker figure a Brokie friend gave me...

Thank you for this great summary of the ET video! And it makes me happy to hear that people who went to the set of PoP really liked what they saw!!!

Sorry to see, that there was some trouble here over the weekend... :-/