Sunday 30 November 2008

How to give Jake Gyllenhaal his perfect first date - make sure you're hungry

As the long nights creep on in, it seems appropriate to look at good ways to fill them. The other day, we were looking at how Jake Gyllenhaal would be the perfect date to take home to have dinner with the family - although the odds of a family member actually pinching said Jake during said dinner should be carefully assessed before the day arrives. Tonight, with the rain and the wind putting up a battle outside, I thought it was the turn of Jake to decide what he wanted to do on our - sorry, his - first date. I do want to say upfront, Jake, that I'm not fussy...


Jake has said on a couple of occasions how he behaves on a first date - and I can somehow see how this influenced the portrayal of Robert Graysmith's first date with Melanie in Zodiac.


Jake told More Magazine: 'Be sloppy and goofy - works every time.' And again to Cosmo: 'Be sloppy and goofy at first and then segue into the dinner-and-a-movie thing. Do something active and original.' All right, a few things to note here - does Jake actually mean soppy? I'm not certain sloppiness is high on my list of musthaves for a first date (of course, if Jake wants to be sloppy, Jake can be sloppy.) Secondly, I like the sound of 'something active' and thirdly, I like a prospective date who can throw the word 'segue' around like that.


So, Jake's turned up, sloppy and goofy, and it's working. What's next? A movie would be good but there's a chance that this could feel like work for Jake. And whose movie would you see? If you said you wanted to see the latest by Robert Downey Jr, Matt Damon, Colin Farrell or Brendan Fraser (just picking some names out of a beanie), would Jake take that the wrong way, as a sign that he had competition? I'm voting to give the movie a miss and instead settle down with a meal (or at least a beer).


For a dinner date with Jake Gyllenhaal, there are two options: eat out in a glorious restaurant or let Jake cook and eat at home (with the risk of a lot of washing up - it's a known fact that men use more utensils and bowls/pans when cooking than women). When Bazaar magazine asked Jake back in 2006 what his favourite extravagance was, he said: 'I love expensive meals. I just think when you have a good meal with people you have the potential to really relax. Because if the food and service is amazing, then you don't have to worry about anything. I'll spend any amount to have that.' Agreed - so is a pizza out?



Due to the huge difference between what constitutes an expensive meal for a movie star and, well, me, maybe it would be better for Jake to cook. Fortunately, expensive ingredients are not a necessity because Jake can cook with whatever he finds in a fridge, even mine. Jake told Star's interviewer 'I like to cook with anything I can get my hands on, like if you were to ask me to cook with all of the ingredients on this table, I'd make a tape recorder sandwich!' I would like to point out that it normally takes more that a tape recorder sandwich to win me over, but I can be flexible...



Jake does enjoy the idea of cooking for a date. He told 17 that 'I just like little things like cooking dinner and having a really long date with someone I care about.' I like the sound of the 'really long date'. And to Cosmo: 'Whatever my girlfriend wants, I'll cook for her. Whoever she is and whatever she wants, I will cook it for her.' I'll make a list.


Kirsten said of Jake 'He's a really good cook. I love everything he makes. One birthday, he made me a six-course meal of all my favourite foods: butternut squash soup, braise short ribs, coconut cake..' and then a bunch of antacids.


Assuming that the meal was a success and a happily long date ensues, what does Jake want from his date? For clothing, Jake told More Magazine: 'I love to see the back of a woman's neck or her collarbone. Those areas are very sexy. Clothes that show just a bit are best.' For demeanour, Jake loves it when a girl 'is calm when she's in love. Sometimes love just gets plain dirty and girls can be vicious.' I can be calm... And, having eaten every morsel in front of one, even done the washing up, and acted suitably calm, 'I know when I wake up in the morning with the person I love, we end up laughing. It's really the morning time, the waking up time, I look forward to.'



Includes pictures from IHJ and scans by WDW.

21 comments:

Anonymous said...

That would be catastrophic! Monica on a diet, Jake wanting her to be hungry. ha!

Seriously, if I'd think of a first date with Jake, I'd want it to be un-planed (?). Like meeting him at some Cafe, having breakfast or just coffee and talking about pretty much everything, with nothing to do later on, just a lot of time to walk around talking while it's good and pleasant. No showing off, no tension, no "oh my god what's next?".
Maybe after that, a first date would not be the FIRST, so it could be the so called "really long date".
I don't know...maybe it's me, but I just don't like the tension of first dates.

Have a wonderful Sunday, ladies.

Anonymous said...

Oh...and if it was a date with Atticus, I'd just wait along with him outside the Cafe...and we could play around, scaring some poodles and chihuahuas on the street. That's a funny game! Very good for a start.

:)

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Monica O! Ooh first dates are hard, not that I can remember... I reckon Jake would be great company and would put a first date at a lot of ease. No tension, but lots of good food :D No tension at all with Atti on a first dat! Maybe a double date? Have a good Sunday evening!

Anonymous said...

very nice articles WDW. I had not seen the bazaar one. The stop article was not accurate. Jake is not a NY native. He was born and raised in LA and he considers it home. It was Maggie who was born in NY and she makes that her home

Thanks

sweetpea

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Sweetpea! - It was Star who got it wrong (for a change... :P). I really enjoyed the Bazaar interview too :)

paulh said...

I just saw "Australia." No, Jake wasn't in it, but Nicole Kidman and Hugh Jackman were.

I can't say that I can relate to dating Jake (much too much age difference). Jake has something of a reputatiion as a neatnik, so his remarks about being sloppy sound tongue-in-cheek, not literal, to me.

I bet Jake would be fun at a big dinner party, with lots of guests. :-)

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Good morning everyone! Monday again - already, sigh.

Morning Paul! I can't imagine Jake being sloppy either - I imagine he'd plan every last aspect of a date to make it perfect. Yes, he'd be great as a dinner party guest :D

Hope you enjoyed Australie - I'm looking forward to seeing that.

Have a good day everyone!

Xenia said...

Oh Jake, if you want a hungry date I can be the hungriest of all, honey.
And I'm a big eater too! :)

Lovely post, WDW, as always.

My word is fired, hope it's not a prophetic one...

Anonymous said...

Isicatin. This is perhaps icelandic for "yes I can".

I am in agreement with Paul on not being interested in "dating" Jake. He is much too adorable to "date" or "marry", for that matter. Definitely not husband material, in my view. I just wanna kiss him.

sheba said...

Goodness me WDW.. if you're posting all these wonderful kissing pictures of Jake now for us, what's valentines going to be like? Thanks all the same ;D

Jake on a date.... I don't think I could eat. He has a way of searching your face whilst the other person is talking and really concentrates on every word. That's excellent active listening skills and good body language that would turn my knees to jelly. Jake as a friend would be so much better as friendship is about companionship, longevity and love and I want him to be around for as long as Paul Newman was, if not longer.

I can just imagine what Jake's opening lines to his date would be "I saw in your eyes that you hate the world... I hate it too..." What an opening and a sure fire way to ensure a second date :DD

I was hoping for a little 'bump into' with Jake this weekend in London but reality kicked in when I stupidly took my Canadian friend down onto Oxford Street - never again!! It was crazy. A quick half hour shopping trip took 2 hours. Parking horrendous. I hope my next journey to London will be a little more relaxing.

Hope thanksgiving was all that it should have been xx

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hey Xenia! The hungry date :D Chuckle... Ooh, sorry about your word...

Morning Pia! Kissing sounds good :D My word is banedinu, which sounds like something I should be having for dinner tonight.

Hi Sheba! Blimey, you're brave going down Oxford Street - way too scarey for me without full body armour. When you look at the way Jake looks at people when they're talking to him, you just know he'd make a good and attentive friend :)

Hope everyone's having a good day - flippin freezing here...

Anonymous said...

Oh, I saw Australia this weekend too, and it wasn't at all what I expected. I expected a grand romance in the Gone With The Wind tradition, and it is all of that - Hugh and Nicole are gorgeous, the costumes, the kissing, the sunsets, the starry skies with the Southern Cross, the lovemaking under the mosquito netting - but what took my breath away was Nullah - Brandon Walters - you just want to scoop him up an hug him, his enthusiasm, his bright eyes, his expressions. He's just beautiful, and the cinematography was gorgeous - the opening scenes told from the little boy's point of view of being between two worlds would bring tears to your eyes, and the treatment of the Aboriginal people, especially the mixed race children. Hugh and Nicole are gorgeous too, he's so rough and outdoorsy and tan and hunky and she's so refined and delicate, like a flower - they make a beautiful couple (and she gradually lets her hair down). I love the scene where she's exploring his chest hair while he sleeps. My word verification today is "reverial" which is what Baz Luhrmann shows treats his country Australia! ;)

Anonymous said...

^^So, it's a grand romance, and so much more, lots of cattle and beautiful horses too. A beautiful country. :)

paulh said...

I'm reading yesterday's New York Times Book review, and I see that Jake has managed to get himself mentioned in the review of Sarah Vowell's "The wordy shipmates."
In the last paragraph of the review, it says:

"Having grown up a part-Cherokee Pentecostalist, she has somehow managed to become the one and only Sarah Vowell: a respected sociao commentator, a public radio star, the voice of Violet in 'The Incredibles', and the author of five untrivial books, all while befriending J. J. Abrams, Dave Eggers, Jake Gyllenhaal, etc."

sheba said...

Our Jake seems to have carved out a high profile reputation for being exclusive and elusive, where his friendship or knowing him is becoming a privilege to have experienced.

Randomly and in 'gammet' fashion, in the first picture Jake looks a little like the young Elvis. I think its the dark hair, profile and all the kissing :DDD

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Anon! Thanks so much for that description of Australia - I want to see it more than ever now, thank you :)

Hi Paul! I saw that, the mind boggles :D

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Sheba! Posting at the same time :D Did I hear you say kissing...?

sheba said...

Yeah, the kissing.... Elvis was indiscriminate with his kisses, just like Jake. .. And what a good kisser he was - Jake could learn a lot ;D

Carol said...

Just read that description of Australia. Can't wait to see this movie. Hugh and Nicole look fabulous and the scenery is breathtaking on the clips I've seen.

Just saw Four Christmases today. Very funny. There's a good screen chemistry between Reese and Vince. It's defintely one to go see:)

Anonymous said...

Carol and WDW,

I'm sorry if my post contained any *spoilers* about Australia, I just got carried away! I forgot that it maybe hasn't opened in the UK and other countries yet? Believe me, this tells you nothing, you've got to see it in all it's grandeur. It's also funny and a little toungue-in-cheek too - and the child Nullah is so adorable. I want to book a seat on the next Quantas flight! :)

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Carol!

No worries, Anon! You've given nothing away - just makes me want to see it more :D