Monday 1 December 2008

Jack and Ennis - totally alone, always watched

Today is World Aids Day - the 20th - and, on a day of remembering how the world and love within it has changed over these last decades, it seems fitting to look briefly at one film in particular, which focused on fitting an extraordinary love into lives that could have had no comprehension of what was around the corner. But what if Jack Twist and Ennis Del Mar had not been Jake Gyllenhaal and Heath Ledger? It seems unimaginable.


We've heard Ang say that Jake and Heath were his first choices for the roles, but without doubt other actors were considered. In the days before confirmation that Jake and Heath had signed the contracts, one 2004 article speculated about the excitement surrounding the identity of potential leads: 'Should the contracts not get signed, though, there will be no shortage of well-groomed actors with representation who could be candidates to don the Stetsons and chaps. In the months since Ang Lee announced that he would direct the movie, fans have taken to Internet chat rooms with a vengeance, begging the unhearing movie gods to cast everyone from Viggo Mortensen and Brad Pitt, or Jude Law and Benicio Del Toro, or Joaquin Phoenix and Johnny Depp.'


'"He's always been Hollywood's trembling-lipped sensitive boy," pointed out one hopeful fan about Depp. Another opined that Jude Law's "good looks and intense charm would make even a straight cowboy swoon." Both Depp and Law have played gay before (in "Before Night Falls" and "Wilde," respectively). Some computer-savvy cinephiles have gone so far as to create a beefcakey "Brokeback Mountain" poster featuring Josh Hartnett and Colin Farrell, who will reportedly play bi-curious in his upcoming role as Alexander the Great in "Alexander."'


James Schamus commented 'via e-mail that he could not comment on casting decisions before anything has been made official. But, he wrote, "it's still in process, and it's been remarkably hassle free -- no one has raised even an eyebrow and people across the board are responding in a really passionate way to the story and the characters."' Producer Scott Rudin, who had originally 'planned to make "Brokeback Mountain" in the late 1990s with Gus Van Sant ("Good Will Hunting") directing, but now has no connection to the movie -- agreed.'


'"It's an amazing project; I'm incredibly jealous. And I don't get jealous," Rudin says. As for the process of signing up willing actors, he laughed at the notion that it would be difficult. "You've got a great filmmaker and parts for two movie stars. I can't imagine why any actor would not want to play one of those roles."'


But events took the course they were meant to, and Jake and Heath did become Jack and Ennis. Thats only as it should be - you only have to listen to Jake describe how he saw the scene in which the two lovers were watched by Joe Aguirre, and how it always seemed as if Jack and Ennis were being watched: 'It seemed that way, but I feel like, from their point of view, they're really in the middle of nowhere. They would never assume that Joe Aguirre, played by Randy Quaid, would come up there and do that, From Jack's experience of the year before, there is a little talk about it but Joe Aguirre sensed something from the begining.'


'To get perspective, it's really far to get to where they are. They travelled for hours to get where they were, to that camp. Yeah, they are naive. They feel like they're totally alone. They start the movie even when they're in the town feeling totally alone. That's a big part of it - two lonely people finding real intimacy, real comfort in each other.'



Includes pictures from IHJ and scans by WDW.

15 comments:

Carol said...

Another great BBM post WDW.

There were some interesting potential casting choices rumoured. Colin Farrell and Josh Hartnett would not have worked at all I think. Reading all the names rumoured makes me so glad that Jake and Heath finally brought Jack and Ennis to life.

Haven't seen much media coverage for World Aids Day which is quite sad but I'd like to think that movies like BBM will help to breakdown prejudices that still exist.

Thanks for some more nice BBM pics and those articles I hadn't seen before WDW.

Have a great evening:)

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Thanks so much Carol :D Colin and Josh would not have been good, much as I like Colin. Jake and Heath were just perfect.

I remember the first Worlds Aids Day vividly - now some people seem to have forgotten, but there are still battles and, as you say, BBM was such an important part.

I'm glad you enjoyed the articles and pics - have a good evening!

Anonymous said...

I don't think either Colin F or Josh H have any screen presence, irrespective of their acting ability. I think they would have been hopeless!

We were lucky.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Narcissa :D It worked out perfectly.

My word is dinarri - I'm sure I found some of those on the Roman excavations I used to do :)

Anonymous said...

I had heard about some earlier castings for the movie. But looking at how things turned out it was like destiny for Heath and Jake to play Ennis and Jack.

I can't think of those other actors doing the kind of acting that brought those character to life. That make them so real for many of us BBM fans.

What a great post you did WDW not only honoring BBM, the two actors but World Aids day.

thank you
sweetpea

Anonymous said...

BBM post always makes me emotional... and I am rather emotional today.

I can't imagine anyone else being Jack and Ennis - now and forever.

Thanks for the post, WDW... Jack and Ennis forever.

Anonymous said...

I can't imagine anyone else playing Jack and Ennis either. I always love reading about the thoughts of the actors and others involved in its making. It really is one of the best films I have ever seen. I watch it again from time to time, and always see something new, and always get emotional during the dozy embrace scene. It's my favorite scene. Not only from Jack's perspective, but Ennis' as well. It's so well done, even the horse's hoof grinding on stone is in there, from the story. Just a beautiful story.

Anonymous said...

Almost forgot to say, I love that pic of Jake gallantly kissing Diana Ossana's hand. :)

Anonymous said...

Wonderful post on such an emotional day.

I saw Milk this weekend (a truly brilliant film with a tour de force performance by Sean Penn that everyone must see) and it made me think of BBM being from Focus Features and all. No one could replace Jake or Heath and the forces that put it all together.

Btw, Jake is auctioning a Zodiac poster for Lifebeat. For those who don't know, Lifebeat is a national non-profit organization dedicated to reaching America’s youth with the message of HIV/AIDS prevention.

It was also great to see a new pic of Jake on Thanksgiving in London. Hope we see him soon and that PoP wraps filming on schedule this week.

xoxo

Anonymous said...

Syclus, here. I love to sycle!

One woman I would like to be, Diana Ossana, looking so fine. But hard not to recall the shock of film and actors not recognized. I also wonder about Annie's response to the screenwriter's award - the strength of the story was hers, and a good deal in fact almost all of the great dialogue. Ang gave Annie credit, though, that night I believe - for giving us two great characters. Strange evening.

But Diana looking gorgeous, a nice moment of triumph for a writer.

An amazing film.

All of us in the boondocks waiting to see Milk! Lucky you, Get Real. .

Filming on PoP almost over, I think. When does Jake get to take a bath? My fantasy has been on hold.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Good morning everyone! My word is union :D

Thanks Sweetpea :) I just can't imagine it being anyother way with this film.

Hi there Anon :D Definitely, me too. Even after almost three years, each time I rewatch it, without fail, the emotions are as raw as ever. And by the dozy embrace I'm well into the box of tissues. I like reading about it too. And I love that pic of Jake kissing Diana's hand - I can never see it enough.

Hey Get Real! Good to see you! I really want to see Milk. I'm glad to hear you enjoyed it. Good to see Jake supporting Lifebeat too.

Morning Pia! A very strange evening instead, and seems even more so as time passes. What on earth is a boondock? :D I am so ready to see pics of Jake out and obout again...

Have a good day everyone! Very cold today, might snow...

My word now is farita - I'll take two.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

((((Winterbird))) I hope you're ok today - Jack and Ennis forever :)

Xenia said...

Great BBM post WDW, I was just in a BBM mood today, got me a BBM desktop even...

'To get perspective, it's really far to get to where they are. They travelled for hours to get where they were, to that camp. Yeah, they are naive. They feel like they're totally alone. They start the movie even when they're in the town feeling totally alone. That's a big part of it - two lonely people finding real intimacy, real comfort in each other.'

That is the kind of consideration, so sensitive, so deep, so empathic with his character, that made fall for Jake in the first place and still hold my heart captive.

Jake kissing Diana Ossana's hand is beyond swoon-worthy...

My word is reviri, sounds a lot like reverie, I like it.

A good day to everyone. :)

Anonymous said...

Boondocks derivation:

The expression was introduced to English by American military personnel serving in the Philippines during the early years of the 20th century. It derives from the Tagalog word "bundok", meaning "mountain". Occasionally "the boonies" or "the sticks" , it has since evolved into a more general American slang term for "the countryside" and any implictly isolated rural/wilderness location in general, regardless of topography or vegetation, that is isolated.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Xenia :D I was in a BBM mood too - never a bad thing. That sentence from Jake is so special and very Jake - that's why I fell for him too. Your word is good, mine is emautsu and I haven't got a clue what that might mean...

I certainly did ask and I'm glad for the explanation! Thanks :D I'll have to try and drop the word into conversation next time I'm in the US!

I hope everyone's having a good day - I'm off home now :D