Saturday 22 November 2008

Making sacrifices and the intensity of Jake

Bedhead Hair - not everyone can pull it off, but Jake Gyllenhaal has it mastered. Whether due to a lost comb and an alarm clock without batteries or due to hours spent carefully teasing hair whisps with expensive product made from the biproducts of Hawaiian bees, Jake's hair doesn't fail to delight (most of the time). It's preoccupied us, it's possibly preoccupied Jake, it's certainly preoccupied members of the press.


Jake's hair has been dyed, twisted, twirled, flattened, extended, cut (massacred), stretched, tweaked, fluffed for his movies - can any other actor's head of hair have received such treatment during his career? But Jake is a lead in these films and his hair is all part of creating the character. For other actors, it's more of a matter of whether the hair gets in the way.


Take Calgary teacher, band-member and part-time actor Dan McDougall for example. Despite being given the wrong script in his audition, Dan was lucky enough to get selected to play the part of the toughie bartender in Brokeback Mountain - the one who advises Jack Twist to rope calves instead. But Dan's 'musician's hair' was an impediment - it blocked out Jake. 'The day he arrived on set, the costume and make-up people started shaking their heads. "I wear my hair long for our band and they felt it was all wrong for the look. They wanted to cut most of it off." It was Lee who came to the rescue. He overheard the discussion and suggested the make-up people braid McDougall's hair and hide it under a wig. That worked until they decided to shoot scenes of Jake over my shoulder.'


'"Ang came up and asked if I'd let them cut my hair. Of course, I said yes. I told him being in his movie was more important than my hair. Besides, hair grows." A year later when Lee flew into Calgary for the special crew and cast screening of Brokeback, he singled McDougall out at the party. "He thanked me for making such a sacrifice for his movie. That's the kind of amazing guy Ang Lee is." McDougall was also impressed by Gyllenhaal: "He's incredibly professional for someone so young. He can turn on his character the instant cameras role and he's so convincing. The first time I delivered my line he barked back at me with such intensity that he frightened me. Ang came running over to explain I was supposed to be the toughest one in that scene. I just hadn't expected such intensity from Jake." McDougall says once cameras stopped rolling Gyllenhaal could turn into a real prankster.'


Talking of Brokeback Mountain. I may be crossing Will Ferrell off my Christmas card list. During the run up to the Oscars in 2006...


Big thanks to IHJ for new old pictures from TRL (USA), where Jake demonstrates so well that, even having a famously hat-defyingly large head and perfect hair, he can wear a cap with attitude.


Includes pictures from IHJ. Scans from WDW.

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

Loving intensive Jake and thoughtful Ang!

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hey Jannis! Ang is such a considerate director - I love how he rememebred that the poor bartender had his rock hair cut off - and I can never have enough of intense Jake ... Thanks for commenting! (oh blimey, now I have to type into the word verification thing something truly horrible - 'spewa' - ugh...)

Anonymous said...

Spewa? eeeeewwwwww! that's disgusting.

at least "aststiou" sounds kinda - Greek/Francais - ? maybe a toast when drinking pastis or ouzo?

Jake has said in interview that he obssesses about his hair. Im glad he has a toucher that he likes who follows him about.

I have my beloved Jennifer. I would kill myself if anything happened to her.

will we ever know if his PoP ragmop is partly hair extensions, if he gets to wash it, before having sex, and so forth. inquiring minds need to know!

WDW, you investigate such matters, non?

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry if I don't get Will Ferrell's comedy. He seems too old to do the silly movies he does. And he needs to leave Brokeback alone. That is a sensitive subject to some of us Heath and Jake fans. Thank You Wet Dark and Wild for the lovely pictures of Jake....BIG SIGH!!!

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hey Pia! OMG, now I have to type 'bedisme' which sort of sounds like whay I would like to do with Jake :D

I can't talk to you about ouzo... I had a bad experience with ouzo when I was 17 and I haven't discussed the matter since.

I would love to invesitage such matters, Pia! I volunteer myself for the job!

Hi Gail :D I can appreciate a joke when I hear one and I like a comedy, but, really, Will Ferrell is not at all funny when he talks about Brokeback. I'm glad you like the pics :D

Uli said...

Word verifications I came across when refreshing the page today:
ingloppr
comathop
noilloti
sesse
figrot
inece
hodinse
specters

Going to verify with tethi!

You gotta keep this feature, it's fun! And if I wanna get spooked I'll just click on the wheelchair! ;)

I have to admit I am not too fond of Jake's TRL appearances - he always looked out of place there... I said it before, but I'll say it again: I hope he will never have to go through a TRL show again... :D :D But some of those new/old pics are cute (despite the cap... I don't like those specific kinds of caps either... Sorry Jake ;))

Had to look up prankster... One of the German translations is "Schlingel", which is cute! :)
How long was the hair of the guy - it is still kind of longish in the movie...

Hm, Will Ferrell... For some reason I never cared for him - and that for sure won't change now... ;) He looks so dumb that I never expected to like his movies... I know it is wrong to think like that, but sometimes you just can't help it... My apologies to any W.F. fans out there... :-/

Wet Dark and Wild said...

OMG Uli! I was going to get rid of this today but it's just too entertaining. Mine is giving me the name of a Star Wars character - Juxathr... You got 'figrot'? I'm jealous of that one...

I didn't realise you had cap issues but I kind of like these caps. But this TRL one feels plonked on Jake's head. Ooh, I like the word schingel! English needs more German in it.

I liked WF in the iceskating movie but he's burned his bridges for me...

Is it snowy where you are? Icey rain here - I may stay in for the next four months. I now have to type 'bervues'

Uli said...

It's only a certain type of caps I don't like! This cap is one of them... I like the little "rounder" ones... LOL, do a Jake baseball cap post and I'll tell you which ones I like... Doesn't he have a red sox cap - I think that one has the shape I like...

No snow where I live! But in other places there seems to be a lot! With my luck it will snow early Monday morning when I will be on a very snow and traffic critical highway with a rental car with (probably) summer tires! *rolls eyes*

Anonymous said...

Hey Jake Bed Is Me, too!

o dear what hath technology wrought? Ingsibed, also?

Uli, there is sure enuf a schlingel at work - more fun than a troll!

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hmmm, Uli, I can see a cap post is necessary as I haven't a clue what you're talking about! You mean there's such a thing as summer and winter tyres? I can see we have it easy here ... :D

Hey Pia! Schlingel is good. No place should be without one. Can I just say, Jake is hot... :D

Monica said...

Good night, wet dark!

I am in love with these pictures of TRL. The second picture is so funny! : D

Thank you for talking once again about Brokeback and Jack Twist. I never get tired to read or reread things about this movie that will be forever in my heart!

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Monica! I love the new old TRL pics too :D Made me chuckle, this evening. I will never tire of talking about Brokeback. Have a good night :D

I'm actually watching some of BBM now :D

Anonymous said...

My favorite bedhead hair was at the DGA Directors Guild event when Jake had his thumb bandaged and his hair was perfectly out of place. Maybe he needs to bandage his hand more often and see what more wonderful hair looks he can come up with.

Btw TRL was canceled and their final show was last week.

WDW keep the word verifications! They're great. My blogger is showing preneek. I wonder if Jake will tell us about his experiences with his preneek.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Welcome Paul Mitchell! OMG those pictures were amazine - I remember that I was flying to LA while that event took place and I got there to get news of 'an injury' and I was horrified! Jake looked gorgeous!

I'm not sorry to see the back of TRL but Jake is so good on these shows.

The words are so good! I'm loth to let them go! Thanks for commenting :D

Carol said...

That Brokeback story about the guy having to cut his hair and Ang remembering to thank him later was really sweet. I love hearing Brokeback stories. Thanks WDW for some lovely pics of Jack aswell.

I'm really disappointed hearing those Will Ferrell comments. I have to say that I'm a WF fan but I don't think I'll have the same respect for him anymore after those insensitive remarks. He obviously wasn't watching the same movie as the rest of us.

Off topic I saw Body of Lies tonight. The new Ridley Scott movie with Russell Crowe and Leonardo di Caprio. I couldn't help thinking about Rendition when I was watching it as there are some similarities. One of the actors was in Rendition aswell I think. If anyone else has seen the movie I'd b interested to know if I'm right.

I have to type allsi into the word verification thing. Do keep this going WDW. It's really funny:)

Anonymous said...

Ingigri, brain numb
inspiration won't come
can't write, bad pen
Im going to sleep. Amen.

Anonymous said...

I wonder if this comment will work? I've had hario (a Japanese sweet or toy?) and hotrist - no comment, now clock. (What can a clock be?)

Meh, unfunny Will F, always was, always will be.

Anonymous said...

The hotrist hario I ever had was tall and Japanese. OMG, talk about shersne!

Oh, g'morning everypeeps! Where are my woolies? Brrrr!

Wet Dark and Wild said...

I can't even wish everyone good morning because I slept through the lot of it! My senses told me it was sleeting and freezing outside and told me to sleep through it - cold and sunny now. I had a Jake dream too, something to do with the Orient Express...

Hi there Carol! Thanks for telling me about Body of Lies. I can't decide whether to see that or not. I'll have a look to see which Renditio person is in there - Paul's usually good for knowing these things.

I must say that I really do enjoy hearing tales from the filming of brokeback and this is a really sweet story, with affection for Ang and Jake. I was amused at the idea of Jake scaring people. He got the scene just right for the film.

Morning Pia! You're up early - hope you find those woollies. A hotrist hario? The mind boggles...

Hey Nouskie! Glad your comment worked this time. Mine should post after I write 'midestu' - isn't that what you say when someone sneezes?

Have a lovely, not too chilly Sunday everyone :D

Unknown said...

What a funny article! A lot of the stuff about me (Dan McDougall) was written by Louis Hobson after he interviewed me about the experience. He actually got the gist of things, but a lot of the facts weren't accurate. Ang Lee WAS an amazing guy, but he didn't single me out about the hair thing at the party - although we did talk and take a quick photo. And the hair thing - yes - I got a drastic cut, but it was no problem at all - I just had it cut again for a role in Hell On Wheels. Ang did try to work around it though - that was true. Very considerate and professional man!