Saturday 27 December 2008

'Jake is like one of those Japanese fighting fish....' Discuss

'Jake is like one of those Japanese fighting fish that can constantly change their appearance. When they're threatened they go bright orange, and when they're safe again they're next to invisible. So many things flicker across Jake's face, and the camera captures them all.' Sam Mendes in W (Jake's response, showing his Donnie Darko research had paid off: 'I'm sorry to kiss Sam's ass, but he's rad.')


Jake Gyllenhaal is able, through the slightest hint of a raised brow or the subtlest lift of a lip, to suggest every emotion by just the softest hint. As a result, the audience feels it all. No need to scream and shout, sometimes you don't need to say a word.




Ang Lee famously told the Guardian that Heath was '"easy to photograph, easier than Jake," observes Brokeback director Ang Lee. "With some actors, you have to avoid this and that. Not with Heath." Nevertheless, natural born performer and photography fan Jake Gyllenhaal (his mother bought him an 'old fashioned' - probably means it took batteries and film - camera for his 21st birthday), Jake knows all about showing the camera what it wants.


'It takes a certain type of person to enjoy entertaining people, and to use his own body for it... The instrument is... me! And if I'm going to play it, it's weird.' (W magazine.) Peter Sarsgaard said of Jake in the same magazine: 'His relationship to performing, and all the issues he has with it, is a lot more complicated than most actors I know... I think it's something he's going to wrestle with for a while.'


The drive to perform is quite probably something one must be born with, and Jake's desire for the spotlight has been there ever since he 'came down with a bad case of acting flu while performing in a skit. He and his friends were singing Queen's "Bohemian Rhapsody" when he realized he wanted to be a professional actor.' (Knight Ridder 2001.) It is one reason why the role of chef appeals: 'I think performing has always been a big thing for me and I think cooking is another type of performance.'


Jake told Boyfriend magazine: 'I remember when I was little that I loved acting coz I wanted the attention! Then I would do a play at school and look into the audience and see the reaction on everyone's face, and that's what I love. Now it's become more than that.'


As for the obvious rewards of performing: '"Are you kidding me? I was so surprised!" Jake Gyllenhaal said about getting his first Oscar nom, for best supporting actor in "Brokeback Mountain." Speaking from the set of "Zodiac," Gyllenhaal said he was asleep when his agent called with the news. "I try not to have expectations. I had given up expectations in the past little while, and it's done me a lot of good. I think it's good to leave your expectations at the door. I feel that way about my birthday, I feel that about Christmas, and I feel that way about this."


For someone who wants an audience, Jake is in luck, he has one ready and waiting.


Includes pictures from IHJ.

15 comments:

Zodiac said...

What a day...

OK, WDW, the first picture is perfect. The big orange Japanese fish. Perfect.

I wish I knew what Ang meant when he said that Heath was easier to photograph. I thought Rodrigo Prieto did a very fine job when photographing Jake, esp exposing his eyes which are so telling. I crack up every time I watch them together in a dark alley scene :)

I've always thought Jake enjoys attention. Both in personal and professional life. He said something about having an audience in a relationship.

Oh yes, he does enjoy it. And we're eager to give it to him ;)

Wet Dark and Wild said...

oh, sorry you've had a day, Zodiac :( I've been so lazy, I've hardly moved 6 foot. It's taken all my effort to put Jurassic Park on the TV.

I love that pic - only Jake could have worn an outfit to match Sam's orange Japanese fish comment. Unfortunately, I couldn't find a pic of Jake wearing an invisible fish outfit, to match the second part of the comment.

I agree with you about Jake being a joy for the camera. There are so few pictures I don't like - as you say, the eyes. Jake loves an audience, and thank heavens for that, as here we are.

I hope this evening and tomorrow are better *)

Monica said...

Good night, wet dark!

Then I would do a play at school and look into the audience and see the reaction on everyone's face, and that's what I love. Now it's become more than that.

So wonderful to read it. Jake loves the profession of actor.:)

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Night Monica! Jake's fortunate that he was born to do what he loves. Some of us face a bit of a search :D I am so glad that Jake chose the career he did! Hope you're ok this evening :)

Monica said...

I have a little headache, but I'm much better of chickenpox. Thanks for asking.

Anonymous said...

Hi,

I'm bad.

I've found some pictures of Jake's hands an dared to read his palm. I can tell that he not only loves his work, but he was really born to it, knowing what he wanted to do for life, since the day he put his pretty face out of Naomi's body.

He's life line "walks" along with his head line until almost the first half of his palm, showing he plans his career and his personal life, he's steady and strongly focused.
As for his heart line, you don't want to know, do you? I would not tell anyway...that would be a bad thing to do. I just can say what you already know: Jake believes in true love and seeks for the love of his life...(but she's not around yet, sorry).

That's it. I'm bad...I dared to go deep in a personal/mystic research. All I've found was: Jake is even better than we could imagine in our wildest dreams.

;)

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hey Monica O :D You're bad (chuckle :D) - but I wouldn't have you any other way! My wildest dreams, though, are very wild...

My word is quievis, which sounds very philosophical.

Anonymous said...

Was Jake ever beautiful in these Brokeback pics. You're right WDW, Jake can convey so much with just a look of the eye, or a turn of his beautiful lips. The first one, where he's looking downward, is one of my favorites. Not only is it physically beautiful on it's own, but I remember that Jake conveyed so much about Jack's inner thoughts about that moment when he agreed with Ennis, saying "Me Neither", in response to Ennis' gruff declaration of straightness and the "one-shot thing" limit of their relationship, as if Jack wasn't entirely sure about his answer, was confused about his own feelings about this wonderful thing that was happening between them, just as Ennis was, and Jack's downward look, almost not daring to hope for anything more, and expecting Ennis' statement that it couldn't be more. How wrong they were - Ennis not wanting to admit his feelings, and Jack not expecting much. Just heartbreaking in places, so joyful in others, such a beautiful film.

Monica, glad you're feeling better, and Monica Other, thanks for the palm reading! I enjoy things like that too.

Anonymous said...

I didn´t understand what Ang Lee wanted to say but I´ve always realized his predilection to Heath. Ang Lee though at least Heath won the Oscar.
And in an lost interview Jake said he didn´t like working with Ang Lee.
Maybe, in spite of fact the most of people loved, included me, they hadn´t a chemistry.

Anonymous said...

Skyrina,

You're so welcome.
I don't have patience for astral charts and other stuff, but I just can't resist the little palm lines. They seem to talk to me easily.

Anyway, next time I decide to read someone's palm, I'll ask for help with the picture search because that was tough!

WDW...thanks god you'd take me this way. :)

I'm flying to Bahia in a couple of hours...anyone wants some sun, "caipirinha" and days of delicious laziness?

(My word is "apeleba". What da hell?)

xoxo

Zodiac said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Zodiac said...

seeks for the love of his life...(but she's not around yet, sorry)

*dreams*

(...) All I've found was: Jake is even better than we could imagine in our wildest dreams

Is he really that good, Monica?:) This man is a walking treasure. Or maybe not. I'd like to be realistic, at least a little bit. After all, I'm a Capricorn:)

And...can I send you a picture of my palm? ;)

WDW, it's better today, thank you. I had a Jake dream last night. Jealous much?:) Unfortunately, it wasn't THAT kind of dream (do you remember the "easy, easy" dream someone shared on JW forums a long time ago?;) Well, mine was as innocent as My Little Pony *sobbs*

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi there everyone! Running late again... Cold out there.

Hi Skyrina :D I love that scene too, and that image - all hopes, all fears being kept in tight under that hat. I think Jake was remarkable in that scene in particular. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on it :)

Hi Anon :) I think Jake found Ang difficult to understand at times (as did Heath), and Jake's said how lonely he was. It's the way that Ang works with actors - a lot of rehearsal and then, during the scenes themeselves, he gives very little. Ang could never praise Jake enough for what he brought to Jack, though, and I like to think that the fact that Ang took Jake to see the ice hockey etc shows that there was a connection there. But I don't think it was easy for Jake. Thanks for commenting :)

Morning Monica O! I think I know of about two pictures of the palm of Jake's hand! The one in the khaki/green t-shirt with his hand up towards the camera is probably the best one! I was taught how to read palms years and years ago and I've completely forgotten.

Have an absolutely wonderful New Year holiday in that beautiful sunshine!

Hey Zodiac! We Capricorns, eh? Oh blimey, a My Little Pony Jake dream? That could be scary. I couldn't sleep last night so any Jake dream would've been great - normally when I dream of Jake we're in a big bunch of people and Jake's on set.

Have a good day everyone!

Zodiac said...

Oh no, WDW, My Little Pony wasn't a part of my dream. That would have been...weird unless some three-year-olds had been involved:) And I haven't had a dream about mothering Jake's children. Not yet.

I've already pre-ordered PoP.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Phew! Glad to hear it, Zodiac! Jake's not a big fan of horses so he might not enjoy being in a My Little Pony dream.

I've been reading about the PoP game - apparently you can't kill the Prince in it, Elleke always saves him, so it must be like a rest for him :D I need it to come out on the wii or I need a new PC :(