Thursday 1 January 2009

2008 - The Year of the Beanie

Happy New Year and a big personal thank you to all of you who have continued to visit Wet Dark and Wild through a year that has had more than one year's fair share of difficulties and even heartbreak. Through it all, even during the long months of filming when Jake may as well have been on the moon and not forty minutes away, you have made me laugh and chuckle and kept me company, and I am thoroughly looking forward to spending 2009 - with its promise of Jake treats - with you all! Who can guess what might happen? But, first, it's time to put 2008 away.


Movies

The film I was looking forward to seeing the most in 2008 was Brothers - this has now become the film I'm looking forward to seeing the most in 2009. This is ironic, because the film I was looking forward to seeing the most in 2009 is now the film I'm looking forward to seeing the most in 2010. This alarming trend has been taken to new heights with another Jake Gyllenhaal movie - Nailed - which has now become the film I just want to see.


The Dark Knight did a good job instead as the film of the year and Heath Ledger's Joker made a caricature real and absolutely terrifying and memorable.


Movie rumours

I am longing for David Fincher to get the movie Torso/Ness in the can once and for all. One movie rumour came true - Jake did indeed become the Prince of Persia, while the Unnamed Moon Project (UMP) remains Unnamed. Stage plans also came to naught.


Fitness

Jake got buff. And we found out how: 'Jake has to look like a warrior capable of sword-fighting, not like he's been hitting the gym. He is working out twice, sometimes three times a day, six days a week, for three to four months on top of stunt rehearsals before filming begins.”' We were given Jake's daily regimen and it read like a horror story - no wonder he dreams of being fat and happy.

'5.30am Pre-workout snack: half a banana, some nuts and an espresso.

6am An hour-and-a-half cardio outdoors workout while wearing a 20lb flak jacket to simulate the weight of armour. Interval training - 10min uphill sprint, followed by abs exercises, eg, sit-ups, at the top of the hill. Repeat sequence five times, then a 10min run, followed by stretching exercises.


7.30am An egg-white omelette, a small protein shake and an isotonic drink to replenish salts lost during training.

Lunch Baked potato with tuna and salad.

6-7pm An hour of resistance training using cables to simulate sword fights, pull-ups, press-ups, abs exercises using weights; finish with stretching.

7-8pm: An hour-long deep tissue massage

Dinner: Soup and a protein shake


Snacks/supplements Two litres of water, protein bars, dark chocolate, supplements rich in omega-3, 6 and 9. No foods containing refined sugar, occasional glass of wine allowed.'

But there is a distinct downside to too much excercise, as can be seen by Jake in the spring, when a basketball injury had him on crutches - and in crocs.


Fashion

Jake tried some new trends during 2008 - plaid with birds and crocs - but I'm delighted to say that, as the year wore on, old favourites were dusted off: The Jeans, cardies and woollies, Free City hoodies, the boots, the felt clogs, practical winter coats. Layers were the way to go.


Nike was seen less (sigh) but beanies were triumphant. Especially when combined with sunglasses and a scarf. Jewellery made a comeback thanks to early medieval Persia.

Hair

A year without controversy over Jake's hair is a year not having. In 2008, we were faced with the prospect of a long-haired Jake (extensions?). Fortunately/Unfortunately, Jake seemed to realise that this was all too much for his long-suffering Gyllenhaalics and decided to tease us further by becoming surgically attached to a beanie.


As for the facefuzz, the year began with the itchy Brothers beard and has ended with a cleanshaven Jake (in a beanie).

Music

Despite brief rumours that Jake was contemplating doing a stage musical this year, Jake has not sung to us since Crazy on Conan O'Brien. He has been spotted at concerts, usually Rufus Wainwright concerts, but Jake's musical talents made an appearance only once in 2008 and that was in honour of Ellen Degeneres' birthday. Meanwhile, the lovely Amy MacDonald kept Jake on the musical map with her song LA, which was inspired by Jake, 'Here's a story about a boy named J...'


Animals

Filming schedules meant that Atticus got to see relatively little of his master during 2008, leaving Jake to settle for the multi-legged company of horses and scorpions. The eco-system of southern England has been forever altered by the Prince of Persia, thanks to marauding scorpions and camels.


Family and friends

Jake has mainly been enjoying the company of Reese this year, leaving Peter and Maggie to amuse themselves - their moviemaking has also led to two of my biggest memories of the year - meeting Peter (completely by accident and in my hometown) while he was filming An Education and hugging him and seeing Maggie (and Peter) and others on the red carpet for The Dark Knight. We wore stripes.






Rememberance

For almost all of 2008 we have been remembering Heath Ledger, and missing him. This is not set to change for 2009.



Includes pictures from IHJ and WDW.

11 comments:

Music Luvah said...

What a beautiful post today - thank you so much, and Happy New Year to you and everyone at WDW. Hope you had a very happy birthday as well. One of my favorite pictures of Heath, in the yoga pose. I'll have fingers crossed for him that he'll win his Golden Globe, and much success for Jake with Brothers, PoP and Nailed (I'm hoping he'll be in Torso, too!).

All the best in 2009 to all!

Now, where's my champagne Mimosa? Cheers! :*

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hey Bertie! Great to see you :D I hope you're enjoying the holidays. I've got my fingers crossed too that Heath is recognised for the Joker, and that Jake makes it to the movie screens. All the best to you in 2009 too! Cheers!

paulh said...

WDW, I think I missed my chance to wish you happy birthday. You said that your age ends in "orty," so I am going to wish you a happy thortieth birthday. ;-)

Oh, we will surely see Jake onscreen again, possibly for several years running as POP goes into sequels.

The New Year was ushered in with phenomenally awful weather--a nasty snow storm with strong winds on New Year's Eve, folowwed by temps in the single digits (Fahrenheit), and still the fierce wind. I can't seem to ever get warm enough....

Atticus said...

Everyone can you please not talk so loud I have a headache and WDW you need to do your post again all your words are blurry and nothin makes sense and why did you turn all the pics into exploding gifs that twirl? Uhoh I gotta go I need to chew another aspirinbone oh shit where did this stupid pointy cat hat I'm wearing come from and now I hear Daddy mumbling again about needing the hair of some dog, I gotta go hide cuz I need my coat dammit. WDW I don't feel good I think I gonna die. I want you to hold me in my last hours.

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Thanks very much, Paul :D I'm sorry to hear about the weather. We just have it cold and grey. Roll on the spring.

OMG Atti! You need to take it easy and lie down in front of a warm fire on a big fluffy carpet. I know how you're feeling though - I've been feeling ruff all day. Hair of the dog sounds like a good idea, it's so cold out there. I hope the world stops swaying and moving around you :D I'm sure you look lovely in the cathat.

My word is vulavi - sounds like a cocktail :D

Atticus said...

WDW I gnawed on another aspirinbone and then I licked clean a couple vicodinpigears and then I chewed an oxycontincookie and then I sleeped and sleeped all day and I dreamed and dreamed really weird dreams but now I feel reeally better the yard stopped moving and Daddy has 2 legs not 5 like he did this morning. I still wearing this stupid pointy pink polka dotted pussy cathat tho I can't get it off I think someone superglued it to my head. Thanks WDW for your wise words and Happy New Year I love you.

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, and Happy New Year to you! Just wanted to say I still really enjoy visiting here! You run a fabu site! Looking forward to more of WD&W & JBG in 2009. XOXOX, Melby from dcf

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hey Atti! Glad to hear you're feeling bushytailed again :D I hope you take Jake for a nice long walk :) Love you too!

Good to see you Melby :D I'm so glad to hear you're still reading. I hope we all enjoy a lot of JBG in 2009 :D Have a very happy New Year!

Have a good day everyone :D Beautiful cold sunshine out there today.

Anonymous said...

Happy new year everyone! Hope everyone is relaxing and not still hungover. ;)

Great year end recap, WDW. It sure was a year with ups and downs. Definitely want a better year for 2009. :) And it will start with seeing Jake in full tux mode at the Golden Globes...nice!

So glad to see Jake and his mom together in the new pics. And he is clean shaven, which I know many people like. I like him clean shaven but I also like scruffy Jake a lot too.

Take care all.

xoxo

paulh said...

Anne Hathaway is on the cover of the latest issue of "Vogue." I realize that Anne is not Jake, but some of the things Meryl Streep says about her could apply to Jake as well:

"To me, the imemdiacy and the freshness and the special quality of being reactive to all stimuli, blushes to bruises, was apparent in Prada, also in the Princess movies. She also may be the most beautiful creature on film right now. That's not her fault or her doing, but she does seem uncannily unaware of the fact, and you never catch her working it. That's just perfectly disarming and rare."

How is Jake similar? Many many times I have heard fans comment on how unaware Jake seems to be of his good looks. His reactiveness has also been mentioned often. I think Ang Lee knew *exactly* what he was doing when he paired Jake with Anne in "Brokeback Mountain." Like peas in a pod, they were, visually speaking, but of different genders naturally. ;-)

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hi Get Real! I hope you're feeling better now and are enjoying a Happy New Year :D I can't make up my mind about the clean shaven look - I do like scruffy Jake :D

Hey Paul! Ooh, thanks for that from Vogue abut Anne. I think she's wonderful and I do think she's like Jake in some ways too. That's a lovely thing Meryly said about her. I'll have to see if I can find a UK copy of this.

I hope everyone's having a good day. It's been a day of springcleaning for me :(