Saturday 21 February 2009

Sparkling vintage and Spring is in the air

While we still tap our feet and wait for a certain video to be released (with only behind the scenes clips to tantalise and frustrate), maybe Jake's interest in this retro world, has enticed him to a new club in LA, h.wood, which is just a skip and a hop from the Oscar's Kodak Theater. According to the New York Times, the club's dress code is 'Depression dominatrix: bowler hats, suspenders, vintage that sparkles. “No coat or tie,” said John Terzian, an owner. “You just have to look right.”'


Spring in the air

I don't know about you, but I'm still in the recovery position after the truly gorgeous pictures of Jake Gyllenhaal helping out with the National Green Schools Initiative this week. Not only did we have a cleanly shaven, freshly haircut and charismatic Jake (sans hat), we also got to see Jake in the environment - with plants, trees, shovels and compost. Surely no other movie star can model both greenery and muck with such joie de vire.


Known for walking around town wearing caps advertising landscaping services, Jake told Welt Online that: 'Since I don't define myself by my work, I wouldn't have problems doing something else. If it makes me feel better then I could earn money to be a gardener.' Seeing Jake's tenderness with these shoots, our loss would be their gain.


Back in the days of Moonlight Mile, when Jake was interviewed on Martha's Vineyard radio, Jake was asked what he was going to do next on the island: 'I'm going to do a little gardening, maybe go to the beach, take a proper vacation and play some basketball with some friends at the end of the day.'


Gardens aren't simply a gallery for flowers, they're also the source for fresh ingredients for the table, and Jake is one actor who can tell his parsley from his coriander: 'Well, my parents have a garden in their house on Martha's Vineyard. I like to go to the first market and buy fresh fish caught that day and take some vegetables from the garden and just make something fresh with it. I consider myself sort of the American equivalent of The Naked Chef.'


The other side of luscious greenery is sticky mud. One cannot fail to remember the relish with which Jimmy earned his 500 dollar by leaping into the mud pit for a little wrestling, but Jake also told Cosmo: 'Last night I dreamt that I was at a crazy party in Central park. There was a mud bath and no-one wanted to get in.' Crazy is the word to focus on here. And with a good luck cry for David Fincher on Sunday night, Jake once told his director friend: 'See, if you put me in mud, you'd see how much fun I could have.' Unfortunately, several of Jake's movies have been somewhat sandy in their locations, but there is hope for the future.


I will finish with Jake's famous gardening analogy for paps from Jetzt: 'I do my best to look at it pragmatically: I have chosen this way of life, so I have to deal with the shit that comes with it. It's basically like having a garden... Imagine you have a garden. There are tomatoes and lettuce and beautiful flowers, the really nice things, but there are also worms and all sorts of insects that are disgusting. But they do have a function, like eating vermin.' Lettuce has a function?


Includes pictures from IHJ and New York Times.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now how come nothing like that ^^ pops up out of my garden?

Monica said...

Good morning, wet dark!
The club should be interesting! Thanks for the information!:)

I'm not a fan of singer Jammie Foxx (like the actor), but I'm anxious to watch the clip. You know the reason!:D

I would love to see Jake take care of my fruit trees.But he would have to take care of my trees in the summer.

I'm in the rhythm of the carnival! You need to know our carnival a day!:):):)

JTwist said...

Hey WDW,

It's Anon 1:03 from the other night. Thanks for providing me with your e-mail. I sent you the AVI file of the PoP poster a short while ago. Hope it came through, but let me know if it didn't.

Anonymous said...

Disappointed, that's exactly what I was asking myself....

Monica, I'm glad you like Carnival, it's horrible to feel like an alien in your own country (like I do this time of the year). Enjoy yourself!

Good morning, WDW. Hope you have a wonderful day. Please post JTwist's video. I can't wait to see it.

xoxo

Anonymous said...

This club in LA sounds like my kinda place! ;)

Anxious to see the PoP poster as well. :)

Wet Dark and Wild said...

Hey there everyone! I'm having a lovely time with Ruby and Anouska!

I know what you mean, Disappointed :D

Hi Monica - I hope we see this video soon :D If I had trees, I'd want Jake looking after them, that's for sure. Enjoy the carnival.

J Twist! Thank you so, so much - you've done us all such a favour. I emailed you and I've put it up. Thank you!! And thanks for commenting - love the name. And keep coming back to chat.

Hey Monnie O! I've posted it! It's fabulous :D

Hey Anon, my kind of place too. The poster is up!